• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    "Sometimes you are the hammer and some days you are the nail"
    G

(c) Lance Armstrong, 2009

(c) Some dude, 1977
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,160
    Great political move from Froome. The media lust for scandal, so give them Chaingate 2, lest they create their own. Again.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Great political move from Froome. The media lust for scandal, so give them Chaingate 2, lest they create their own. Again.
    Chaingate 2: Just When You Thought It Was Safe To Go Back On The Mountain!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273

Besides, Nibali lost minutes because of mechanicals, anyone waited for him?

The fundamental flaw in that argument is nobody instigated an attack, because they saw that Nibali was having a mechanical.
    Nibali had his woes when the race was already full on.

At the end of the day, all it cost Froome was probably a handful of seconds.
    It will probably cost Nibali any good will.
    So, should Contador attack early as he did today, I expect Sky to immediately sit up.

The thing is Nibali is not a contender for the yellow jersey, so I don't understand what is Froome's issue... if anything someone who has been overtaken might Nibali should be crossed, but not Froome.

I think he wants to control the race, like Armstrong did, but not having a fraction of the charisma of the Texan people do not do what he wants

Nibali only wanted to win a stage and seized his opportunity and he did the right thing!
    left the forum March 2023
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    The biggest problem with nibalis attack was not that it might be direct challenge to the yellow Jersey but would prompt those ahead of him to defend their own position. In this context you could say that contador and valverde sacrificed their own ambition for good sportsmanship. If anyone should be cross it should be them.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

The fundamental flaw in that argument is nobody instigated an attack, because they saw that Nibali was having a mechanical.

So, should Contador attack early as he did today, I expect Sky to immediately sit up.

The thing is Nibali is not a contender for the yellow jersey, so I don't understand what is Froome's issue... if anything someone who has been overtaken might Nibali should be crossed, but not Froome.

I think he wants to control the race, like Armstrong did, but not having a fraction of the charisma of the Texan people do not do what he wants

Nibali only wanted to win a stage and seized his opportunity and he did the right thing!
    From Froome's point of view, Nibs attacking gave the people Froome does care about, Nairo and Valverde, an excuse to up the pace as well, meaning Froome had to burn a couple of matches to get back up to them. If Nibs hadn't attacked it would have been much easier to get back on. Nibs could have waited and then attacked, probably wouldn't have made much of a difference to the race from his point of view but would defo have made a difference for Froome.

And as I've already said, Nibbles obviously thinks it was a bit dodgy or he wouldn't be saying he didn't realise Froome had a problem when the evidence proves otherwise.
  • ugo.santalucia
    In this context you could say that contador and valverde sacrificed their own ambition for good sportsmanship. If anyone should be cross it should be them.

Their problem... in ten years time nobody will remember that Contador did not attack to be a good boy, but that he finished outside the podium and had a pretty average tour de france.

In sport you have a finite number of opportunities and you have to grab them.

Senna used to say that if you don't take these opportunities, you shouldn't be a pilot and I very much agree
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Agreed.
    Now if it was of such importance at the time, then why didn't he get those mountain bike gears in action and chase him down.
    No he was of NO importance to worry about at 8mins down, so stop whinging.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ugo.santalucia
    Agreed.
    Now if it was of such importance at the time, then why didn't he get those mountain bike gears in action and chase him down.
    No he was of NO importance to worry about at 8mins down, so stop whinging.

exactly...
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

It simply demonstrates a complete lack of class to watch the Yellow have a mechanical and launch an attack. A lack of panache as FF would say. This is cycling not Pro football, and cycling has its heritage and code of behaviour. If you dont know that you obviously know nothing about Pro cycling and its history.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    It's not that he attacked that leaves a sour taste, it's that he claims not have seen Froome struggling. If he'd said "I saw Froome struggling and saw that as my opportunity, I didn't know it was a mechanical" I don't think it would be big deal. But it's clear he did see though.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Great win by Nibali.

I'm left with what-ifs from this Tour. What if Nibali had hit peak form 2 weeks ago? What if Quintana hadn't lost that time in the crosswinds? What if he had attacked from 10k out today? What if Contador hadn't ridden the Giro?

It's one of those Tours you look back on and think "if only."
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Never been too fussed over Nibbles. But after this Tour he goes on my pile of riders I don't like.

He threw a bidon at Froome earlier in the race too, so maybe there's a little antipathy between the two, or he's just jealous.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    My understanding is that you don't take advantage of the race leader having a mechanical problem and this is an unwritten rule of pro tour cycling. Nibali will obv know this. Isn't it pretty black and white? I think he 100% saw froome struggling. He then denied it. Doesn't that show he knows he pulled a scummy move?

I'm not a froome fan boy by any means but he seems to be carrying himself with immense dignity at the moment.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Great win by Nibali.

I'm left with what-ifs from this Tour. What if Nibali had hit peak form 2 weeks ago? What if Quintana hadn't lost that time in the crosswinds? What if he had attacked from 10k out today? What if Contador hadn't ridden the Giro?

Bit like last year.
  • ozzzyosborn206
    ozzzyosborn206 Posts: 1,340
    Great win by Nibali.

you could say that about every race
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    That's not racing from nibbles. Fact is he's so irrelevent this year he could have held up a card with " I'm attacking" written in huge letters in full view of the bunch before launching an attack and would have met a pretty much universal response of "meh". Instead he chooses to go when the leader is suffering a mechanical. Utterly classless and I hope he suffers a thousand punctures tomorrow
  • ugo.santalucia

It simply demonstrates a complete lack of class to watch the Yellow have a mechanical and launch an attack. A lack of panache as FF would say. This is cycling not Pro football, and cycling has its heritage and code of behaviour. If you dont know that you obviously know nothing about Pro cycling and its history.

YOU know little... cycling is a sport based on cheating... whether this is doping or jumping on a train to finish the stage ahead or other... it's always been linked to try and get an advantage over the opponent in any possible way...
    There are no gentlemen in cycling
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    You play the rules of the game, no rules broken. Don't see other sports hold up for someone who has a mechanical or similar type of problem. Sport isn't fair we should all know that. What is more annoying than a win by someone who made a negligible difference to the GC is the fact there is a bug going around the camp.

Some good efforts from others today tho
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Hahahaahahahha this is a race about technology, technology in training, technology in equipment and it's totally right to take advantage of failure in. Any one of those. Feck sporting its TDF WAR.

GOOOOOOO NIBALI
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

YOU know little... cycling is a sport based on cheating... whether this is doping or jumping on a train to finish the stage ahead or other... it's always been linked to try and get an advantage over the opponent in any possible way...
    There are no gentlemen in cycling

That's just silly. Hyperbole does you no favours.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    You play the rules of the game, no rules broken. Don't see other sports hold up for someone who has a mechanical or similar type of problem. Sport isn't fair we should all know that. What is more annoying than a win by someone who made a negligible difference to the GC is the fact there is a bug going around the camp.

Some good efforts from others today tho

No one is saying any actual rules were broken only that people may be judged on their actions. That is all.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Everyone got all up in arms when Astana did pretty much the same thing to Contador in the giro, I don't see what's different. Then contador went and thumped them the next day (or a bit later, I don't recall exactly). On that basis Froome should do the same. Therefore the Alpe tomorrow will be excellent (fingers crossed!)

It's pretty clear that's what Nibali did and it's not really cricket is it. Can't get too excited though, Nibali and Froome don't seem to get on that well anyway so there could be some of that in there.
  • turnstyle
    turnstyle Posts: 63
    You play the rules of the game, no rules broken. Don't see other sports hold up for someone who has a mechanical or similar type of problem.

Sure about that? What about when there's an injury on the pitch when the ball is live in football, or when a the ball deflects off a batsman in cricket when a fielder is trying to run him out. Actually thinking about it cricket has loads of them.
  • gregster04
    gregster04 Posts: 1,691
    Disappointed in Nibali. He seems to have been in a strop since Week 1. Blatantly saw Froome, so he is obviously lying. Not the actions I would expect from a former yellow jersey himself.

And this is from a Nibali fan who has recovered much needed PTP points out of his attack.
  • slim_boy_fat
    I often hear posters saying 'it's cycling, not football' when things like this happen. Maybe Nibbles could have taken a leaf out of his compatriots book. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD1IKBuMDYE
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    And when di Canio is being cited as a positive role model, you know you've been a cnut
  • slim_boy_fat
    And when di Canio is being cited as a positive role model, you know you've been a cnut
    lol, it was a bit tongue in cheek really. The fact that Nibs is playing the 'didn't see it guv' card tells you all you need to know about what the peleton will think of his attack.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Hahahaahahahha this is a race about technology, technology in training, technology in equipment and it's totally right to take advantage of failure in. Any one of those. Feck sporting its TDF WAR.

GOOOOOOO NIBALI

Plus, it's good for the racing and for vendettas that last years. It's said that Nibali is still stinging about some slight from Wiggo in 2012. (I think he looked at him). That's next level grudgery. Froome's stoking the fire.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.