Stage 19 TdF 2015 St J de Maurienne/La Toussuire *SPOILERS*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Hopefully that spitting scumbag is identified and gets his collar felt.
    French TV will probably give him a producer's job
    You really don't like the French do you?
    The French are great. I'm going to Paris for the weekend.

It's French TV's coverage I don't like. Their coverage of Froome in the past two weeks has been disgrace. All journalist ethics and balance has been thrown out the window in favour of whipping up scandal.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Froome is a spoiled kid who knows nothing about races... a mechanical is his personal problem... if Nibali wants to attack, there is no rule preventing him from doing so.
    When Contador took advantage of Schleck's mechanical in 2011, it was the best moment of that Tour and paid off (although then the antidoping decided differently).

Wins matter, moans don't. Besides, Froome hasn't lost the jersey to Nibali, so what's the problem?

Imbecile... :roll:

Not a Froome fan then?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    Froome is a spoiled kid who knows nothing about races... a mechanical is his personal problem... if Nibali wants to attack, there is no rule preventing him from doing so.
    When Contador took advantage of Schleck's mechanical in 2011, it was the best moment of that Tour and paid off (although then the antidoping decided differently).

Wins matter, moans don't. Besides, Froome hasn't lost the jersey to Nibali, so what's the problem?

So you know more about races than him? Ok. :roll:
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Chapeau to the Snake of Messina. Off the back on practically every other climb and then wins probably the hardest stage. Vinokourov must have spread some of his magic fairy dust...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Millar and Boardman making out it was coincidence that Froome had a mechanical when Nibali attacked, even though they'd just shown the footage clearly showing Nibali looking around at Froome at least 3 times and attacking exactly as he stopped!

They are both talking garbage, it is clear to see Nibali knew Froome had a mechanical. Pisses me off when ex pros don't say it as it is, they add nothing to the commentary if they aren't honest when giving their insight etc.

To be fair, Millar said it's now a problem that Nibali said he didn't see it. I think they were trying to add some nuance about the unwritten rules (klaxon) explaining that Nibali had engineered that situation and burned some guys in the process.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

Attacking the race leader if you spot he has a mechanical is indeed now an accepted legitimate tactic.

If you ride for Astana.
    Just ask Alberto Contador.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Thank goodness Nibali decided to race today. From the gun. Would have been a totally sh*t stage otherwise. As for Froome's 'mechanical', firstly did he say what it was? Secondly if he cant change gears properly thats his own fault. Thirdly if Froome is slipping back then how is Nibali supposed to know exactly why...perfectly feasible that he could have blown. I guess Froome is just sad he had to use up his Nitrus button to get the win.

If Contador gives it the dig and moves up tomorrow then at least these stages can be called enjoyable.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Thank goodness Nibali decided to race today. From the gun. Would have been a totally sh*t stage otherwise. As for Froome's 'mechanical', firstly did he say what it was? Secondly if he cant change gears properly thats his own fault. Thirdly if Froome is slipping back then how is Nibali supposed to know exactly why...perfectly feasible that he could have blown. I guess Froome is just sad he had to use up his Nitrus button to get the win.

If Contador gives it the dig and moves up tomorrow then at least these stages can be called enjoyable.
    Bit of tar got stuck between his brakes and wheel. Maybe it was fair enough for Nibs to attack at that point but he shouldn't make up some shoot about not seeing it.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

It was nothing to do with his gears; a stone or piece of tarmac got lodged between his wheel and brake caliper.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973

You're excelling yourself with that post. Stone lodged between rear calipher and wheel.... Do you actually ever ride a bike. Nibali saw Froome come to a halt to fix his problem. Absolute crap from you as usual.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • frenchfighter
    To be honest I think they should have stopped when Contador crashed. Very unsporting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Winning a sprint against Quintana = bush league.
    Attacking because of a mechanical = heavyweight racer.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625

It was less clear when Contador attacked Schleck but the outcry was such the Contador took the unprecedented step of making a video that evening to explain himself, apologising whilst not admitting any blame.

The Nibali triple take was clear cut but I doubt too much will be made of it as Froome and Sky are less popular than Schleck at the time. If there is any sportsmanship left in cycling I'd like Nibali to suffer a little.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • frenchfighter
    Movistar really are quite something. Clearly they had zero ambition to take the jersey. Simply happy with two spots on podium (which is amazing) and maybe try and take some seconds hoping Froome cracks. They certainly were not the ones putting Sky under pressure today, we have Astana to thank for that.

Very good effort by Jumbo and Gesink. Riding massively above their budget. Quite amazing that it is occuring at the biggest race of the year when they have been very poor all year.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • effillo
    effillo Posts: 257
    Just watched today's stage on delay. A decent day. Regardless of what Nibali did, or didn't see, ( it's pretty obvious from the footage that he knew he had a mechanical, no one bonks to a standstill like that) at least he made it enjoyable, great to see him put time into Contador and Valverde. Think everyone is making more of the time Froome lost than it actually is, just grasping, incidentally I can see him losing another 30-45secs tomorrow but no more. Just hope the fans behave tomorrow.

As a side, apologies if it has already been answered but why does Contador bother changing bikes. He was with the group before he changed and ended up with the group afterwards. Unless we assume he wouldn't have been able to keep up without the bike change then what is the point? In a long TT I can see it if there is a big climb or something but not in a normal mountain stage. The team know best I guess but from the outside it seems unnecessary.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Froome can't catch a break. No* dopers on the llist of fastest ascents:

2006 | Carlos Sastre 44:52
    2012 | Thibaut Pinot 45:05
    2015 | Nairo Quintana 44:30

*Unambiguous
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Wellens crashes in the feed area then don't take his bag when he restarts. Bad mistake.
    Just watched this moment and on pause and slo-mo I,m sure a musette comes flying through the air and goes into Wellens back wheel , wonder if whoever threw it will own up or if he even realised he caused Wellens crash
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    edited July 2015

Attacking the race leader if you spot he has a mechanical is indeed now an accepted legitimate tactic.

If you ride for Astana.

I don't see why it shouldn't be legitimate. Riding a mechanically efficient bike is part of the team effort. If Froome has a crap mechanic or can't use the gears properly and break them, it's part of the race, in the same way as having a bad day... should we all stop racing because Nibali has a bad day?

Besides, Nibali lost minutes because of mechanicals, anyone waited for him?
    left the forum March 2023
  • blazing_saddles
    edited July 2015
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    edited July 2015

If you ride for Astana.

I don't see why it shouldn't be legitimate. Riding a mechanically efficient bike is part of the team effort. If Froome has a crap mechanic or can't use the gears properly and break them, it's part of the race, in the same way as having a bad day... should we all stop racing because Nibali has a bad day?

Mechanical parts fail because they are not serviced properly or used correctly... it's not bad luck
    What do you suppose a mechanic should do to stop a piece of tarmac or stone getting stuck in a wheel?

And if Nibbles thinks it's legit why is he making up some shoot about not seeing it?
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Mechanical parts fail because they are not serviced properly or used correctly... it's not bad luck
    What actually happened was a bit of tar or a stone getting stuck between the rim and brake caliper. That is bad luck.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    What actually happened was a bit of tar or a stone getting stuck between the rim and brake caliper. That is bad luck.

Fair enough... luck is part of the game
    left the forum March 2023
  • above_the_cows
    Regardless of the stone incident. Do mechanical things really not just break sometimes? Do they only ever break because they aren't serviced properly or because you don't use them properly? Because I'm sure I bought a toaster once that broke the first time I tried to use it by pressing down the lever, which I am pretty sure I did correctly, I mean there are only so many legitimate ways to press down a lever. The shop seemed to think it wasn't my fault anyway because they gave me a totally new toaster and everything.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229

I guess we can look forward to Nibali attacking at feed stations, comfort breaks and crashes in future then. There's no written law about them either.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Regardless of the stone incident. Do mechanical things really not just break sometimes? Do they only ever break because they aren't serviced properly or because you don't use them properly? Because I'm sure I bought a toaster once that broke the first time I tried to use it by pressing down the lever, which I am pretty sure I did correctly, I mean there are only so many legitimate ways to press down a lever. The shop seemed to think it wasn't my fault anyway because they gave me a totally new toaster and everything.

Were you trying to toast crumpets? That'll void your warranty I'm afraid.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605

I guess we can look forward to Nibali attacking at feed stations, comfort breaks and crashes in future then. There's no written law about them either.

Amen.

Wins are won because of legs and mental strength. Not taking advantage of mechanicals. Doing that is a dick move.

It's part of the sport.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • above_the_cows

Were you trying to toast crumpets? That'll void your warranty I'm afraid.

No a cinnamon and raisin bagel.

Hmmmm cinnamon and raisin bagel......
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991

We're you the Italian spitting on him?
  • blazing_saddles

Besides, Nibali lost minutes because of mechanicals, anyone waited for him?

The fundamental flaw in that argument is nobody instigated an attack, because they saw that Nibali was having a mechanical.
    Nibali had his woes when the race was already full on.

At the end of the day, all it cost Froome was probably a handful of seconds.
    It will probably cost Nibali any good will.
    So, should Contador attack early as he did today, I expect Sky to immediately sit up.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I don't think anyone is accusing Nibali of cheating, just of taking advantage of a situation and then lying about it. (Although in the words of my Italian former colleague "Everybody cheats"!)