TdF 2015 - Stage 3 Anvers - Huy *SPOILERS*

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    What is it that a lot of riders have mounted under their saddle?

A "transponder thingy" is the technical term you're looking for :D

A TRANSPONDER?
    THAT'S NOT EVEN A WORD!

Transponster...

tumblr_lymu2vtHFh1qzydh2o7_r1_250.gif

;)
  • rick_chasey
    Very sweet tweet from the Jumbo boys:

https://twitter.com/RGUpdate/status/618149446589751296
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Pinot was only 11" behind the front group 2km from home. Came home +1'33". How?

Thomas is riding a great race. Hope he gets a chance tomorrow. But not as much as I'd like a Tony Martin yellow jersey. Classy interview post-stage.

Only Morabito working for him at that point - although Roy was there - when the front group accelerated it was all over - then he must have struggled on the climb . He's better in the high mountains - still seems inadequate in terms of critical positioning - although did much better at Romandie and Switzerland.

At his age (25) Froome was only mediocre in GT's but Contador did the Giro/Vuelta double

Got to remember he is still valid in the white jersey competition!

Must be a huge effect from a slower start to the climb without the leadout. I was just surprised at the large loss in such a short distance for a top guy.

Will have had to dodge the stragglers as well.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    On this clip @1.05 you see the first crash, and then @ 1.18 you see the second crash Prudy was talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn-HeyBPs2c&feature=youtu.be

Think the cameras missed that 2nd one.
    Great clip - the first thing you see for the original crash is the cloud of dust it raises!
  • adr82
    Lovely Gruber shot from the TdF FB page:
    11731575_869305009785546_3592516838671267181_o.jpg
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited July 2015
    Big shame about Cancellara especially given his clearly good form. Suffers a lot of crashes and injuries. Would have been great to see him pounding the cobbles tomorrow in yellow.

Pinot:
    "This is a day to forget. After the crash of William [Bonnet] who was working to position, things went wrong. I was not well. Already at the summit of the first climb, I did not have any legs, nothing. It's a day to forget. I had no strength left and it is very worrying to find yourself three minutes down after three days of racing after all the hard work completed to prepare for this.

“For tomorrow, I'm pessimistic. If my condition is the same as today, I can't see how I can recover on the cobbles as you need strength on them. On Sunday after the team time trial we will evaluate my goals for the rest of the Tour."
    If you haven't seen it. Footage from the Crash aftermath. The Orica mechanic was wearing a go pro.
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/7raIxrzodt4?rel=0
    Listen to the moans of pain in the background as he tries sorting out Bling's bike... horrendous. Poor guys!

Agree with the other comment that this is quite an interesting insight. Surprised how little the guy said. Makes you veer more towards the side of a neutralization being acceptable.

@friebos 4h4 hours ago
    Prudhomme: "A lot of riders thanked us. They were asking whether guys who had fallen were OK."
    @friebos 5h5 hours ago
    Neutralisation occurred, as suspected/reported, because race doctors/ambulances couldn't get to casualties from second crash.

Ten Dam:
    “I said that they had to pop my shoulder back in,” Ten Dam said. “I have trained very hard, so I don’t want to abandon the race even before we enter France. As long as I’m in the race, it’s possible that I can recover. Tomorrow, I’m going to try it on the cobblestones. It will be painful, but afterwards, I have four days to recover. The Alps are just in two weeks and maybe everything is different at that moment.”

“His bike was already on top of the car,” sports director Nico Verhoeven said. “We thought that he was out of the race, but he said that he didn’t want to leave the Tour and that his shoulder had to be popped back in. When we knew that the race was neutralised, he was able to return quietly. He was chatting quickly afterwards. Laurens is a tough one.”

Wonder if Tom D could have popped his back in and continued.

Only JRod's 2nd Tour win (he hasn't raced many Tours) but the last one is imprinted in my memory. Think Kiri, think Vino, think Andy, think Contador, think Rodriguez. Pure, beautiful racing. Those were supreme years:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfyQCH-Gino
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    That video gave a real insight. With TV coverage you get the feeling the riders just jump back on their bike and ride off. It often seems like they aren't really hurt. Any idea why he was filming? Are they doing some sort of documentary or was it just something they do within the team?
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Any news on Bonnet's condition? Marc Madiot didn't let much on.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Impey tweets he is out...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2015

Initially, the first news from Dr. Gerard Guillaume were reassuring: Bonnet would have suffred a head injury without loss of consciousness, and a neck trauma without neurological consequences.

Then, Dr. Gerard Guillaume and FDJ manager Marc Madiot went to meet him after the finish. The news are not great because the tests revealed a multi-fragmented fracture of the second cervical vertebra. This fracture requires immediate surgical treatment to stabilize the neck and prevent neurological damage. He will be transferred Paris quickly. Dr. Guillaume said that the fracture was not of a serious nature. It is a stabilization surgery to prevent major risks.

Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    That video gave a real insight. With TV coverage you get the feeling the riders just jump back on their bike and ride off. It often seems like they aren't really hurt. Any idea why he was filming? Are they doing some sort of documentary or was it just something they do within the team?
    Most likely it was for inclusion in their daily "backstage pass" videos on YouTube - they're generally well worth watching, you get to see what goes on behind the scenes and they're often quite funny too (although I doubt today's installment will be very upbeat).
  • ddraver
    TLJ's mechanics equivalent to the OGE vid

https://twitter.com/LottoJumbo_road/status/618169144324677632

Edit - Pross, I guess that it's Velon thing
    - @ddraver
  • frenchfighter
    20150706344_061757.jpg

@friebos 10h10 hours ago
    Race passes Eddy Merckx's home in 30 mins or so. He's having a small bash tonight. Just him, a few friends & his 25,000-bottle wine cellar.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Bahaha, Hinault's good value.
  • frenchfighter
    Showing the steepness of the hill:
    20150706260_061727-2.jpg

Showing how Froome very nearly got caught out. Tinkoff and Astana were drilling it after Tinkoff's tactical move but somehow Sky managed to close the gap:
    20150706248_061638.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    I thought it and even wrote it here - they were going bizarrely fast given the race situation and moments to go. 60km to go, break with no threat - very odd.

I've heard a lot of riders talk about the change over past 5-10 years where GC teams get so much more nervous about 'key points' and you get entire teams racing for position for most of the stage.

Beginning to believe that more and more, the more I see it.

--

Bram Tankink, on the phone to the radio, reveals that LtD was forbidden to ride by the doctor post crash but he did anyway.

He also says that he'd never really seen this kind of racing when he started.

Presenter notes that it looked like it was a slow race with the peloton across the road, but it's now clear they were all just racing full bore side-by-side - worst of both worlds.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Most likely it was for inclusion in their daily "backstage pass" videos on YouTube - they're generally well worth watching, you get to see what goes on behind the scenes and they're often quite funny too (although I doubt today's installment will be very upbeat).

I get the feeling that they gave up on a proper backstage pass today. There was 6 mins from the mechanic and then a 2-min video interview with Impey, Gerrans, and Alba...

I'd highly recommend the backstage pass videos. They've been using a mix of gopro (in/on car as well as bike) combined with race footage for a long time now. Used to my breakfast watching along side HTRWW... now there's no HTRWW and I'm struggling to squeeze in time to listen to about 6 hours of podcasts each day!
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    I thought it and even wrote it here - they were going bizarrely fast given the race situation and moments to go. 60km to go, break with no threat - very odd.

I think one of the Orica guys said 80kmph but he may have been exaggerating... it was downhill at that stage...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

I've heard a lot of riders talk about the change over past 5-10 years where GC teams get so much more nervous about 'key points' and you get entire teams racing for position for most of the stage.

Beginning to believe that more and more, the more I see it.

Were some teams setting up for the mountain points in a few Ks?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • ddraver

I think one of the Orica guys said 80kmph but he may have been exaggerating... it was downhill at that stage...
    Dunno, if you look at it one of the (I think) FdJ riders just gets the wrong side of his team mate and falls sideways over his back wheel. As you sat, downhill and straight, everyone just relaxed, one guy just a tad too much
    - @ddraver
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065

Initially, the first news from Dr. Gerard Guillaume were reassuring: Bonnet would have suffred a head injury without loss of consciousness, and a neck trauma without neurological consequences.

Then, Dr. Gerard Guillaume and FDJ manager Marc Madiot went to meet him after the finish. The news are not great because the tests revealed a multi-fragmented fracture of the second cervical vertebra. This fracture requires immediate surgical treatment to stabilize the neck and prevent neurological damage. He will be transferred Paris quickly. Dr. Guillaume said that the fracture was not of a serious nature. It is a stabilization surgery to prevent major risks.

Cheers Frenchie.

Really not a good injury to have though, sounds like he wasn't very far from having a very serious neck problem.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Bahaha, Hinault's good value.

Nah, good value would be him getting the full Hinault treatment off the stage.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    20150706248_061638.jpg

Just spotted Quintana as well. That is three of the top four in a split - would have been great if they prevented Froome from rejoining.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter

When I read that I thought it was a bit much then TJ says 80-90km/h which is even more crazy. Looking at the photos though it was slightly downhill:
    224-RTX1J9XC.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    340-PIC545527370.jpg
    342-PIC545529110.jpg

347-IMG_7408.jpg
    330-PIC545663357.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_nr335aoHKb1ropreyo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nr12o3Lsic1rs3h6xo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Really sad if we don't see Cancellara in the Tour again. I just hope he wins Flanders or Roubaix one more time next year. Legend.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Considering the number of abandons yesterday, and thinking about Orica in particular, what would happen in the TTT if they were unable to field the minimum number of riders?

Would they be disqualified (which would seem very harsh), or suffer a time penalty? Is this a situation that has ever arisen before (I can't think of one)?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    The rule was quoted upthread somewhere, but I think the gist was they ride with all their riders and just have to get on with it, time taken for last man.

EDIT, found it up on page 15, from Keyser Soze

In the event where a team no longer has at least 5 riders, those remaining in the race are required to complete the course within the permitted finishing time provided for in Article
    22 (Coefficient 6).
    The time taken into account for the team classification is the time of the final rider to finish recorded 5 times
    http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/docs/TDF15_Reglement-BD.pdf