Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    edited May 2023
    Pross said:

Watching Sally Nugent interviewing Starmer this morning it looks like she’s not a fan. Wouldn’t give up on demanding an answer on how big a pay rise he would offer nurses then sat there with a face like thunder.

It's a fair question though.
    Starmer really needs to learn that he has to commit for people to take him seriously.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Watching Sally Nugent interviewing Starmer this morning it looks like she’s not a fan. Wouldn’t give up on demanding an answer on how big a pay rise he would offer nurses then sat there with a face like thunder.

Starmer really needs to learn that he has to commit for people to take him seriously.
    Does he though?

What about the previous 4 elections makes you think he has to do that?
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    The difference is expectation management.

Starmer's a boring ex-lawyer so people expect him to be specific.

Johnson was a newspaper columnist and professional BS artist, so people didn't expect anything other than BS.

Starmer should work on his BS, not on answers that will skewer him 6 months into his premiership.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Does he though?

At the time they sounded as though they were committed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Does he though?

He'll probably get by more due to the tories performance than his. Start stepping up now or it will be a massive leap into the hot seat. Then again, he could blow it so won't.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Does he though?

I don't remember any specific promises from any of the last election winners, other than Brexit, but even then, that was nebulous enough.

Starmer needs to get better at BSing his way out of specific questions if he's interested in winning elections.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Does he though?

I don't remember any specific promises from any of the last election winners, other than Brexit, but even then, that was nebulous enough.

Starmer needs to get better at BSing his way out of specific questions if he's interested in winning elections.
    Doesn't matter if it's nebulous - people will fill in the gaps themselves if they believe the broad story.

The Tories were clearly pro Brexit and not-Corbyn at the last election. May was less clear and did less well.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

He said numerous times they would sit and negotiate and that you don't go into a negotiation telling people your best offer. I'm not sure I agree with that in this situation as it is highly unlikely the best offer would match the asking price and they should really just be saying "we've looked at the numbers and this is the best we can offer you" but then again the Unions are unlikely to accept a first offer on the assumption there is more available. Either way I don't understand why she kept asking when it was obvious he was sticking with the negotiation answer (which wasn't completely unreasonable). Nugent then even came in at the end of the answer to a different question with "so are you then?" which seemed to confuse anyone and she had say she was asking if he was going to offer an above inflation pay rise. She seemed desperate for a gotcha moment and p*ssed off you hadn't managed it.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Why would a racist cartoon about corruption in the Conservatives generate debate on the Labour party thread?
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:
    What's it got to do with the Labour Party? Most of the Graun's columnists seem to hate Labour and especially Starmer.

I have read Rowson's apology, which seems fairly contrite. Intriguing that he was at school with Sharp. Not sure what the editorial team were thinking, but it was withdrawn pretty quickly so I guess they realised that they had f***ed up.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:
    What's it got to do with the Labour Party? Most of the Graun's columnists seem to hate Labour and especially Starmer.

I have read Rowson's apology, which seems fairly contrite. Intriguing that he was at school with Sharp. Not sure what the editorial team were thinking, but it was withdrawn pretty quickly so I guess they realised that they had f***ed up.
    Didn't think it was worth 'doing a trumpet' and starting a new thread, and the party most closely associated with anti-semitism is Labour...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Didn't think it was worth 'doing a trumpet' and starting a new thread, and the party most closely associated with anti-semitism is Labour...
    Leader of which has since been expelled. Gove and his Frankfurt School Cultural Marxism conspiracy however…
  • rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Was for a short period a couple of years back. Given you voted for the idiot, I'm not sure it's much to crow about.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    If you want to froth over something (or nothing), the Sue Gray 'report' won't be published today, just ahead of the local elections, because Sue Gray didn't accept the 'invitation' to make a submission to the cabinet enquiry, though she's co-operating completely with Acoba, which makes recommendations into moving out of the CS into other employments.

Can't think why she wouldn't want to contribute to an enquiry overseen by Simon Case and Rishi Sunak... the terms of which seem to be rather opaque...

• briantrumpet
    It's looking very likely that Case & Dowden had been ringing round their friendly journalists to try and get a juicy Gray story out before Thursday. Even though there isn't any certainty of a juicy story. It's all feeling a bit currygate.

The replies to Dan Hodges of the MoS (he of currygate), who's one of the Tory-friendly journos) are amusing.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Leader of which has since been expelled. Gove and his Frankfurt School Cultural Marxism conspiracy however…
    So you think there is no longer any anti semtism in Labour now that Corbyn has been booted out?
  • Stevo_666

If you want to froth over something (or nothing), the Sue Gray 'report' won't be published today, just ahead of the local elections, because Sue Gray didn't accept the 'invitation' to make a submission to the cabinet enquiry, though she's co-operating completely with Acoba, which makes recommendations into moving out of the CS into other employments.

Can't think why she wouldn't want to contribute to an enquiry overseen by Simon Case and Rishi Sunak... the terms of which seem to be rather opaque...

Maybe she was trying to delay the findings until after the elections. After all, Starmer is due to be her new paymaster.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

So you think there is no longer any anti semtism in Labour now that Corbyn has been booted out?
    Who knows. I think the far left, who are the lot who have a propensity for it, have been made to feel unwelcome and their main cheerleaders have been expelled.

You can’t argue that labour haven’t made a much bigger effort to move to the centre vs tories
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Maybe she was trying to delay the findings until after the elections. After all, Starmer is due to be her new paymaster.

Maybe, though it would be a bit of a stretch to describe Simon Case as an unbiased arbitrator. And let's not forget that they delayed the Johnson report so as not to influence the then-forthcoming local elections.

Anyway, too early to tell, but it looks like the Tory-friendly press rather prematurely ejaculated.
  • rjsterry
    Really is hilarious that they had their pick of civil servants to try to dig Johnson out of his hole and they managed to choose the one who was planning to go and work for Starmer.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    rjsterry said:

Really is hilarious that they had their pick of civil servants to try to dig Johnson out of his hole and they managed to choose the one who was planning to go and work for Starmer.

They had to restrict it to the ones who didn't have "work events" in their office.
  • rick_chasey
    I wonder how it leaked the day before an election.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536
    I wonder if there could be a more Westminster bubble story.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who knows. I think the far left, who are the lot who have a propensity for it, have been made to feel unwelcome and their main cheerleaders have been expelled.

You can’t argue that labour haven’t made a much bigger effort to move to the centre vs tories
    You're assuming that the centre is automatically the place to be. If you see the Lib Dems as being in the centre then that strategy has hardly been a roaring electoral success, has it?
  • Stevo_666

I wonder how it leaked the day before an election.

Coincidence I'm sure :)
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Maybe, though it would be a bit of a stretch to describe Simon Case as an unbiased arbitrator. And let's not forget that they delayed the Johnson report so as not to influence the then-forthcoming local elections.

Anyway, too early to tell, but it looks like the Tory-friendly press rather prematurely ejaculated.
    Thing is the story has leaked - and just like the Cake Stop Kangaroo Court, evidence is not always need to find someone guilty.
  • rick_chasey
    edited May 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

You're assuming that the centre is automatically the place to be. If you see the Lib Dems as being in the centre then that strategy has hardly been a roaring electoral success, has it?
    Too soon to tell before the GE, right? ;)

I suspect the Tory lurch rightwards is a pretty key factor in their abysmal polling numbers.

I think in general, though there are exceptions, there is an inverse correlation between competency and how extreme they are on the political spectrum.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Too soon to tell before the GE, right? ;)

I suspect the Tory lurch rightwards is a pretty key factor in their abysmal polling numbers.

I think in general, though there are exceptions, there is an inverse correlation between competency and how extreme they are on the political spectrum.
    I'm going on a solid track record of historical failure ;)

Also Labour may be trying (or at least Starmer is trying) to make them more centrist, trouble is they've started from so far out on the left that there's still a way to go. And of course the unreformed elements of Labour are still lurking waiting for their chance.
  • rick_chasey
    It's all relative Stevo. Where on earth do you think the current iteration of the Tory party are?!?!