Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you want to froth over something (or nothing), the Sue Gray 'report' won't be published today, just ahead of the local elections, because Sue Gray didn't accept the 'invitation' to make a submission to the cabinet enquiry, though she's co-operating completely with Acoba, which makes recommendations into moving out of the CS into other employments.

Can't think why she wouldn't want to contribute to an enquiry overseen by Simon Case and Rishi Sunak... the terms of which seem to be rather opaque...

Maybe she was trying to delay the findings until after the elections. After all, Starmer is due to be her new paymaster.

Maybe, though it would be a bit of a stretch to describe Simon Case as an unbiased arbitrator. And let's not forget that they delayed the Johnson report so as not to influence the then-forthcoming local elections.

Anyway, too early to tell, but it looks like the Tory-friendly press rather prematurely ejaculated.
    Thing is the story has leaked - and just like the Cake Stop Kangaroo Court, evidence is not always need to find someone guilty.
    🤣

This is almost as funny as reading Dan Hodges's endless pleading that this is some huge conspiracy.

Just like his assurances that Starmer would have to resign over that curry.
    Agree, it is funny because its true :smile:

Evidence would be good, either from Hodges, or you, if you have it.
    Ots enough evidence for me, I'm not trying to convince anyone else.

You really have turned full leftie Brian.

Oh, I thought you liked people to supply evidence, given you always ask for it when people give opinions. My mistake, obvs.

If it's asking for evidence that you think makes me a leftie, you're Corbyn and ICMFP.
    The leak is all about the court of public opinion.

You've gone full on tory hater based on what you post about them. Have your eyes started swivelling? :)

I hate incompetence, lying, xenophobia, bleeding poor people to pay for tax cuts for the rich (Truss), and Brexit, not Tories per se. As I've said before, if Sunak could turn the ship around on the lying (it;s better than under Johnson) and bit the bullet on Brexit, you might find that I, along with others, might find them more palatable.

If you want to persuade me to vote Tory, you'll have to come up with something more positive rather than "at least they aren't Labour".
    I already know what you think from your previous posts, but let's hope you don't lose sight of the principles that made you a Tory voter in the first place.

I've not, and that's why it's so sad to see what Johnson and Brexit have done to the party, not least as if Labour gets into power I do want a decent, principled opposition.
    Good to see we haven't lost you to The Dark Side - remember, don't let the hate flow through you. To use a bit of Star Wars phraseology.

I'm quite comfortable hating hateful ideas.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

If you want to froth over something (or nothing), the Sue Gray 'report' won't be published today, just ahead of the local elections, because Sue Gray didn't accept the 'invitation' to make a submission to the cabinet enquiry, though she's co-operating completely with Acoba, which makes recommendations into moving out of the CS into other employments.

Can't think why she wouldn't want to contribute to an enquiry overseen by Simon Case and Rishi Sunak... the terms of which seem to be rather opaque...

Maybe she was trying to delay the findings until after the elections. After all, Starmer is due to be her new paymaster.

Maybe, though it would be a bit of a stretch to describe Simon Case as an unbiased arbitrator. And let's not forget that they delayed the Johnson report so as not to influence the then-forthcoming local elections.

Anyway, too early to tell, but it looks like the Tory-friendly press rather prematurely ejaculated.
    Thing is the story has leaked - and just like the Cake Stop Kangaroo Court, evidence is not always need to find someone guilty.
    🤣

This is almost as funny as reading Dan Hodges's endless pleading that this is some huge conspiracy.

Just like his assurances that Starmer would have to resign over that curry.
    Agree, it is funny because its true :smile:

Evidence would be good, either from Hodges, or you, if you have it.
    Ots enough evidence for me, I'm not trying to convince anyone else.

You really have turned full leftie Brian.

Oh, I thought you liked people to supply evidence, given you always ask for it when people give opinions. My mistake, obvs.

If it's asking for evidence that you think makes me a leftie, you're Corbyn and ICMFP.
    The leak is all about the court of public opinion.

You've gone full on tory hater based on what you post about them. Have your eyes started swivelling? :)

I hate incompetence, lying, xenophobia, bleeding poor people to pay for tax cuts for the rich (Truss), and Brexit, not Tories per se. As I've said before, if Sunak could turn the ship around on the lying (it;s better than under Johnson) and bit the bullet on Brexit, you might find that I, along with others, might find them more palatable.

If you want to persuade me to vote Tory, you'll have to come up with something more positive rather than "at least they aren't Labour".
    I already know what you think from your previous posts, but let's hope you don't lose sight of the principles that made you a Tory voter in the first place.

I've not, and that's why it's so sad to see what Johnson and Brexit have done to the party, not least as if Labour gets into power I do want a decent, principled opposition.
    Good to see we haven't lost you to The Dark Side - remember, don't let the hate flow through you. To use a bit of Star Wars phraseology.

I'm quite comfortable hating hateful ideas.

Well you haven't called anyone Tory scum, which is pretty hateful.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,027
    edited May 2023
    wrong thread
  • briantrumpet
    Thanks for your contribution, shortfall.
  • Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Thanks for your contribution, shortfall.

I agree, it's always good to recognise quality posting :)
  • briantrumpet
    I guess that this is why Starmer is so rigidly sticking to his guns on SM & CU...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/06/revealed-labour-won-back-swathes-of-brexit-voters-in-the-local-elections

Figures from the BBC’s “key wards” data, obtained by the Observer, show support for Keir Starmer’s party was up by seven points compared with 2021 in the most heavily pro-leave wards.

The data also shows that while the Tories were down 2.5 points in the most pro-remain wards, their vote was down even more – by 5.5 points – in the most pro-leave wards.

Senior Labour figures and leading academics said the data showed that the link between voting for Brexit and voting for the Tories is weakening – further encouraging Labour strategists to believe they can take back seats across the “red wall” and are on course to win the next general election.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    It is amusing how surprised we all are when labour are disciplined campaigners.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,126
    depressing when parties' path to power is gutless pandering to populism rather than principled leadership
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rick_chasey
    I have a prediction that there’s gonna be a tonne of new houses being built over the next decade, just like there was under king George, and down the road “Carolean” houses will be as staple when discussing properties as “Georgian”
  • briantrumpet

I have a prediction that there’s gonna be a tonne of new houses being built over the next decade, just like there was under king George, and down the road “Carolean” houses will be as staple when discussing properties as “Georgian”

There doesn't seem to be any let-up around Exeter. Somewhat frustratingly for Exeter, Teignbridge is granting enormous planning consents fur hundreds if not thousands of houses right on the boundary of Exeter, and all the impact will be on Exeter's infrastructure, while Teignbridge gets all the council tax & box ticking for houses built. Seems to be one of those occasions when they really need to look at what constitutes Exeter now, and move the boundaries accordingly: at the moment, Teignbridge goes to within about 3 miles of the city centre.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    If Plymouth could convert student accommodation into small flats, that would be very helpful...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    edited May 2023

I'm not sure I share your optimism. Someone needs to reverse the removal of mandatory housing targets and properly fund the planning system. Neither impossible but I don't see any enthusiasm for either from anyone.

All Labour can come up with is adding a bit of extra tax to foreign investors.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    It's a start. Baby steps. Also announcing an English right-to-roam (to mirror the Scottish version) sounds promising. I suspect we'll get a steady feed of things like this over the next few months.

• Stevo_666
    It'll be interesting to see what the EU will want in return...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited May 2023
    It must be soon time for you to reclaim your past as a paid up Labour supporter and claim you've always been a fan of the winning team.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Stevo_666 said:

The price we have to pay for giving it away in the first place unfortunately
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

The price we have to pay for giving it away in the first place unfortunately
    You're assuming that will be just accepted or voted for in the inevitable referendum that would follow anything like like that.
  • rick_chasey
    We all know the Brexit deal is up for renegotiation in 2025 right?
  • Stevo_666

The trade deal is IIRC. How does that translate into a vote to rejoin?
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

The trade deal is IIRC. How does that translate into a vote to rejoin?
    The Starmer thing being discussed doesn’t mention rejoining.
  • Stevo_666
    We've had Leftiebollox and we've had Eurobollox: I now give you LeftieEurobollox. Or is that EuroLeftiebollox? :)
    https://telegraph.co.uk/politics/2023/05/26/eu-rubbishes-keir-starmer-brexit-idea/
  • Pross
    Looks like Sue Gray will be free to take her role with Labour in 6 months unless Sunak challenges the recommendation. If he does surely there would be cause for a legal challenge? It doesn’t feel right that an individual can decide how long it is before someone can start a new career after they’ve served any contractual notice period and restrictions.
  • rick_chasey
    What’s the forum view on labour announcing they’re protecting the pension “triple lock”?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

What’s the forum view on labour announcing they’re protecting the pension “triple lock”?

Unsurprising and weak.

Too scared to do things that need doing
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,536

I think the scary thing is, that despite the expense, it still ends up being a relatively modest amount.

It is slightly disappointing that neither party see any need to have a debate around this area and how to have something that is both affordable long term, and ensures that both pensioners and non pensioner poverty is kept as low as possible.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    edited June 2023
    The triple lock is getting a lot of attention at the moment because it's not affordable when the economy isn't functioning.

If Labour can get the economy working so it becomes affordable again then a goal of standards of welfare matching European peers is laudable.

However it does smack of "just get elected any way you can" for Labour, and you worry it will tie their hands.
  • Pross
    I'll never understand the need for the flat 2.5% element. To be honest, I don't really see the point in it being linked to anything other than inflation either as why is it relevant to the cost of living of a pensioner what is happening to wage rates?
  • Stevo_666

The triple lock is getting a lot of attention at the moment because it's not affordable when the economy isn't functioning.

If Labour can get the economy working so it becomes affordable again then a goal of standards of welfare matching European peers is laudable.

However it does smack of "just get elected any way you can" for Labour, and you worry it will tie their hands.

That's a big 'if' given who you are pinning your hopes on.

That said, when you talk about 'standards of welfare matching European peers', it looks like we are in the middle of this sample:
    https://cashfloat.co.uk/blog/money-saving/best-welfare-country/
    However, those at the top seem to realise that their systems are unaffordable, for example recent French moves to increase the pension age. Maybe their economy 'isn't working'?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

I'm ambivalent about whether there even should be a universal state pension, so...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition