Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    Stevo_666 said:

You must be pleased with the labour leadership that's she's been expelled from the party then?

my fear is that the stars are aligning to give Labour "too big" a majority
    MMm not so sure, mud hasn't even began to start slinging.

However bad the Tories are I don't think Starmer has it in him to win like Blair did.
    SNP imploding will give Starmer more seats

ToL reckons the LDs are confident of unseating Raab and others in the blue wall

with the way our chickenshit democracy works I see 50+ as "too big"
    I think you underestimated the seemingly natural leftie ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Or at least to underachive compared to expectations.
    Your boy overachieved against expectations when Theresa took him on didn't he?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited April 2023

Stevo_666 said:

You must be pleased with the labour leadership that's she's been expelled from the party then?

However bad the Tories are I don't think Starmer has it in him to win like Blair did.

I think you underestimated the seemingly natural leftie ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Or at least to underachive compared to expectations.
    I don't mind Rishi, but calm and steady does not get the headlines and I don't think he has long enough for stability to turn the epolls around
    Calm and steady lol, have you seen who he’s put in his cabinet?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    She could've been Britain's Rosa Parks.

Her ability to self-sabotage is breathtaking...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148

Stevo_666 said:

I don't mind Rishi, but calm and steady does not get the headlines and I don't think he has long enough for stability to turn the epolls around
    He isn’t exactly over-blessed with talent so all he can do is try to appease the various factions to minimise their defeat when the time comes.
  • rick_chasey
    Refuse to believe that Braverman is his only option.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,512
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

He isn’t exactly over-blessed with talent so all he can do is try to appease the various factions to minimise their defeat when the time comes.

Maybe Sunak will take inspiration from the fact that Starmer has been able to more or less neutralise the loony left Corbynites and seen an improvement in his electoral chances: if Sunak were able to do the same with the Brexit loons, using the ever-increasing data that indicates his own enthusiasm for the project was misplaced and as as the inescapable reason to change his tune, he might just save the Tory Party from itself. Though I'll not hold my breath, for a host of reasons.

That said, the Brexit loons do seem to be appearing more and more desperate, and less and less consequential. Though they'll not give up without a fight.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,599

Stevo_666 said:

Who cares. Main question you have to ask yourself is 'when were Labour last in power?'
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Who cares. Main question you have to ask yourself is 'when were Labour last in power?'

I think it was the last time the economy was doing better than now and the NHS was in good shape.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think it was the last time the economy was doing better than now and the NHS was in good shape.
    Missing the point again. We're talking about winning elections. Or from a Labour perspective, losing them :smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Missing the point again. We're talking about winning elections. Or from a Labour perspective, losing them :smile:

Oh, I thought the point of winning elections was to improve the state of the nation.

My mistake.
  • Pross

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Oh, I thought the point of winning elections was to improve the state of the nation.

My mistake.
    No, it’s to own the lefties and keep your snouts in the trough
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    "Blue is the colour, football is the game....". Oh....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.
    So you think you can improve the country by voting Labour in? Oh dear :smile:
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.
    No, it’s to own the lefties and keep your snouts in the trough
    Keeping leftie snouts out of the trough is a good reason.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Stevo_666 said:

we will have to agree to differ but to me it feels calmer and steadier since 2015.

He seems to have got the loonies fingers off the multiple self-destruct buttons
  • Stevo_666
    Whereas Labour seems to be acting like a psychopath who is coming up for parole - they are doing their best to hide their lunatic side, but then Diane goes and spoils it by showing what lurks just below the surface :)
  • Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.
    You genuinely think they can't improve the mess the current lot of run us into? The country is currently in the biggest mess I can remember, the late 70s were probably worse but I was too young to pay attention. It's really hard to imagine how any other Government could make things worse. It feels like no-one has been running the country for the last 7 years.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    If nothing else, the Tories need to be voted out simply to recalibrate themselves.

There is absolutely no likely scenario where a further Tory majority at the next election is good for the country or better than the alternative.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.
    You genuinely think they can't improve the mess the current lot of run us into? The country is currently in the biggest mess I can remember, the late 70s were probably worse but I was too young to pay attention. It's really hard to imagine how any other Government could make things worse. It feels like no-one has been running the country for the last 7 years.
    We could debate your assessment of where we are now, but I don't see how Labour can make it better. What leftie magic wand do you think they're going to wave?

• Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.
    We could debate your assessment of where we are now, but I don't see how Labour can make it better. What leftie magic wand do you think they're going to wave?

Making an effort to run the country would be a good start instead of just sending out messages to trigger the extreme of their base.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Making an effort to run the country would be a good start instead of just sending out messages to trigger the extreme of their base.
    That's a bit of a blinkered view. Each to their own.

• Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

• Pross
    Not really, they've spent most of the last few years fighting among themselves and appealing to an ever more extremist element. They've driven me away from voting for them in the process.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Why what have they achieved in 13 years?
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Genuinely can't wrap my head around your thinking, given your intelligence, as the Tories have both an appalling record on pretty much every metric (including being the 'party of low taxation'), and their only identifiable plan is 'Stop the boats'. But, as you say, each to his own.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084

Stevo_666 said:

we will have to agree to differ but to me it feels calmer and steadier since 2015.

He seems to have got the loonies fingers off the multiple self-destruct buttons
    Have you been away for the last year? Two of the loonies were the actual PM.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

A tad defeatist.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

They have been very successful in the pension space.
    Auto enrolment is a mahoosive success, the 2015 freedoms are hugely beneficial, and the new State Pension is way better than the old one.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Brexit. They got it done.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

They 'got brexit done', I'm surprised you didn't hear about it...