Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited April 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You must be pleased with the labour leadership that's she's been expelled from the party then?

my fear is that the stars are aligning to give Labour "too big" a majority
    MMm not so sure, mud hasn't even began to start slinging.

However bad the Tories are I don't think Starmer has it in him to win like Blair did.
    SNP imploding will give Starmer more seats

ToL reckons the LDs are confident of unseating Raab and others in the blue wall

with the way our chickenshit democracy works I see 50+ as "too big"
    I think you underestimated the seemingly natural leftie ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Or at least to underachive compared to expectations.
    Your boy overachieved against expectations when Theresa took him on didn't he?
    Who cares. Main question you have to ask yourself is 'when were Labour last in power?'

I think it was the last time the economy was doing better than now and the NHS was in good shape.
    Missing the point again. We're talking about winning elections. Or from a Labour perspective, losing them :smile:

Oh, I thought the point of winning elections was to improve the state of the nation.

My mistake.
    So you think you can improve the country by voting Labour in? Oh dear :smile:
    You genuinely think they can't improve the mess the current lot of run us into? The country is currently in the biggest mess I can remember, the late 70s were probably worse but I was too young to pay attention. It's really hard to imagine how any other Government could make things worse. It feels like no-one has been running the country for the last 7 years.
    We could debate your assessment of where we are now, but I don't see how Labour can make it better. What leftie magic wand do you think they're going to wave?

Making an effort to run the country would be a good start instead of just sending out messages to trigger the extreme of their base.
    That's a bit of a blinkered view. Each to their own.

Why what have they achieved in 13 years?
    They have been very successful in the pension space.
    Auto enrolment is a mahoosive success, the 2015 freedoms are hugely beneficial, and the new State Pension is way better than the old one.
    Apart from the LDI meltdown ;)

And there's the argument that the way UK pension funds are regulated it makes scaling firms from start up to national and international players much harder in the UK and leaves them open to non-UK investors to pile money in and reap the rewards.

But yes, auto enrolment is a success. Not really necessarily sure that's a tentpole policy on which conservatism can hang its hat on but sure, it'll improve a lot of people's lives down the road.

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You must be pleased with the labour leadership that's she's been expelled from the party then?

However bad the Tories are I don't think Starmer has it in him to win like Blair did.

I think you underestimated the seemingly natural leftie ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Or at least to underachive compared to expectations.
    Who cares. Main question you have to ask yourself is 'when were Labour last in power?'

I think it was the last time the economy was doing better than now and the NHS was in good shape.
    Missing the point again. We're talking about winning elections. Or from a Labour perspective, losing them :smile:

Oh, I thought the point of winning elections was to improve the state of the nation.

My mistake.
    You genuinely think they can't improve the mess the current lot of run us into? The country is currently in the biggest mess I can remember, the late 70s were probably worse but I was too young to pay attention. It's really hard to imagine how any other Government could make things worse. It feels like no-one has been running the country for the last 7 years.
    We could debate your assessment of where we are now, but I don't see how Labour can make it better. What leftie magic wand do you think they're going to wave?

Making an effort to run the country would be a good start instead of just sending out messages to trigger the extreme of their base.

Auto enrolment is a mahoosive success, the 2015 freedoms are hugely beneficial, and the new State Pension is way better than the old one.

And there's the argument that the way UK pension funds are regulated it makes scaling firms from start up to national and international players much harder in the UK and leaves them open to non-UK investors to pile money in and reap the rewards.

But yes, auto enrolment is a success. Not really necessarily sure that's a tentpole policy on which conservatism can hang its hat on but sure, it'll improve a lot of people's lives down the road.

Can you expand on your second paragraph?
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Can you expand on your second paragraph?
    So apparently, one of the elements that economists think is part of the productivity puzzle in the UK is around investment at the growth stage of companies.

Basically, the UK has a really strong culture of entrepreneurialism; something like 1 in 7 dollars spent on VCs goes to UK start ups. That's properly good, and punching way above its weight.

But it's one of the worst countries when it comes to scaling up beyond VC funding. Apparently, that's partly down to the fact that capital dries up for firms at this stage (when they need to raise 10s or 100s of millions).

This should be the right level for institutional investors to get involved to invest, and indeed, in places like the US and Canada, they do this particularly well. However, in the UK, less than 1% of institutional money is invested in unlisted equities. Similarly, DB pension money, for a myriad of reasons, has reallocated away from UK equities, from something like near 50% to around 5%.

Part of this, as Hunt himself recognises , is down to the rules and regulations that govern UK pensions, which seem so overly preoccupied with protecting the pensioner (entirely reasonable), that it misses out on the other positive externalities of a well functioning pension sector.

Anecdotally, my colleagues work with funds at more mature VCs heading into growth stage companies, and they *all* immediately go hunting on the continent and especially in North America to get capital.

That's fine, they should go where they can find capital, but the UK is clearly not an environment which encourages internal investment.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Thanks, so it's the rules around funding of the existing DB schemes and annuities that is the issue.
    That should be a decreasing problem given no DB schemes in the private sector are open to new membership and alomost noe to future accrual.

There is an issue around the funding, I agree. With a 65 yo male liking to his late 80s on average the timescale for providing their annuity or DB income is 20+ years. Over that timescale, if you were in drawdown, you would have a significant amount still invested in equities.

It also doesn't help when the PII system is a scam, and much larger excesses apply if advice is given to invest in AIM for example, yet the quality of management of many, many AIM companoies, added to the fact that you really do get owner directors there, is much higher than in the FTSE250 companies who have the boardroom merry-go-round.
  • rick_chasey
    If you look at the monster Canadian pension funds for example, they are basically throwing money at any and every VC that makes it past series C.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

If you look at the monster Canadian pension funds for example, they are basically throwing money at any and every VC that makes it past series C.

But they have a different time horizon.

As DB says most of the money is in DB schemes who are nearly all in run-off so want to have the money to pay the benefits over the next few decades.

I really don't think start ups is the right place for most people to be investing their SIPPs
  • rick_chasey

But they have a different time horizon.

As DB says most of the money is in DB schemes who are nearly all in run-off so want to have the money to pay the benefits over the next few decades.

I really don't think start ups is the right place for most people to be investing their SIPPs
    I mean, they're not start ups, that's the point, but yes, there is a different make up.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

A tad defeatist.
    No, just realistic about Labour's ability to improve things.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

I can safely say that Labour have done nothing but moan in the last 13 years. They are model Cake Stoppers.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

A tad defeatist.
    They can improve Britain by not doing any more Tory things.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

I can safely say that Labour have done nothing but moan in the last 13 years. They are model Cake Stoppers.

Dunno if you've noticed, but they've not been in power for 13 years, and their title is "the opposition", so it's kinda in the job description. It was the Tories' job to improve things, and given they had an 80-seat majority, it would be quite nice if they had managed to do something with that other than spaff tens of billions away in their mates' bank accounts.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Ironic that almost the only thing I hear from my Conservative MP is how everything is Labour's fault.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Dunno if you've noticed, but they've not been in power for 13 years, and their title is "the opposition", so it's kinda in the job description. It was the Tories' job to improve things, and given they had an 80-seat majority, it would be quite nice if they had managed to do something with that other than spaff tens of billions away in their mates' bank accounts.
    Good objective post there Brian.
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Ironic that almost the only thing I hear from my Conservative MP is how everything is Labour's fault.
    I thought you had Fib Dum MP. Clearly I was mistaken.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

A tad defeatist.
    As demonstrated in Scotland by the SNP over the last few years?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

A tad defeatist.
    Are the SNP labour in your mind now? They aren't, they stand for one thing and will follow whatever agenda they need to get there. The wokeism and high taxation is driven mainly by a need to have a few Green party votes, not by any great philosophical vision. They are also both uniquely anti business and high personal taxation. That's because the greens seem to be against quite a lot of things that don't wear sandals and socks.
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Feel free to counter my assertions with their accomplishments.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

They are straightforward.

1) You are annoyed by them, so job done.
    2) The lefties aren't in power

The truth is that ensuring they personally keep a larger portion of a shrinking pot in a diminishing UK is enough for the wealthier Tory voter. There's no patriotism or concern for society there. As long as they keep being scared that Labour will take a larger portion of their wealth, the Conservatives can take as much as they think they need, and do nothing worthwhile.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

A tad defeatist.
    Are the SNP labour in your mind now? They aren't, they stand for one thing and will follow whatever agenda they need to get there. The wokeism and high taxation is driven mainly by a need to have a few Green party votes, not by any great philosophical vision. They are also both uniquely anti business and high personal taxation. That's because the greens seem to be against quite a lot of things that don't wear sandals and socks.
    being anti business and high taxation is far from unique in Brexit Britain
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Back up whst you posted first and then I can decide how to respond.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

They are straightforward.

1) You are annoyed by them, so job done.
    2) The lefties aren't in power

The truth is that ensuring they personally keep a larger portion of a shrinking pot in a diminishing UK is enough for the wealthier Tory voter. There's no patriotism or concern for society there. As long as they keep being scared that Labour will take a larger portion of their wealth, the Conservatives can take as much as they think they need, and do nothing worthwhile.
    Nice assumptions and the usual leftiebollox.
  • kingstongraham
    I touched a nerve.
  • briantrumpet
    edited April 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Maybe if you read anything other than the Stevograph, you'd have all the evidence that the UK is up Shitcreek, that the rivers are full of sewage, that the NHS is in much worse shape than when the Tories came in, that days lost to strikes are up massively, that our GDP is lower because of Brexit, that talent is migrating to the EU, and that that 10's of billions have gone to fraud and Tories' mates. I could go on. None of this is conjecture or 'opinion'.

Actually, even the Stevograph is acknowledging that it's all a bit rubbish. They've had 13 years, and an 80-seat majority to make it this rubbish. Claim that as a win if you want to.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My mistake.

Maybe if you read anything other than the Stevograph, you'd have all the evidence that the UK is up Shitcreek, that the rivers are full of sewage, that the NHS is in much worse shape than when the Tories came in, that days lost to strikes are up massively, that our GDP is lower because of Brexit, that talent is migrating to the EU, and that that 10's of billions have gone to fraud and Tories' mates. I could go on. None of this is conjecture or 'opinion'.

Actually, even the Stevograph is acknowledging that it's all a bit rubbish. They've had 13 years, and an 80-seat majority to make it this rubbish. Claim that as a win if you want to.
    I thought you could at least have tried to back up statements you made above.
  • Stevo_666

No need to act all petulant just because you can't back up your rather ranty post ;)
  • kingstongraham
    An example might be the massive noise they are making about recruiting 20,000 new police officers, which added to the 20,000 they previously cut makes an overall nothing much.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878
    *nearly recruiting
  • briantrumpet
    edited April 2023
    Not being petulant, but I swear if I said that gravity pulls stuff towards the earth, you'd ask for evidence. This isn't a court of law, in case you haven't noticed.

The sealion politely demands evidence for even the most mundane or self-evident statements and insists that you justify your opinions until he's satisfied—which he never is, since he's asking questions in bad faith.

That's Merrriam Webster, BTW.

And, FWIW, I did suggest first that you might like to counter my assertions, but you pivoted to asking me to justify my opinions (which are hardly controversial, outside of the Stevo bubble).
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Watching Sally Nugent interviewing Starmer this morning it looks like she’s not a fan. Wouldn’t give up on demanding an answer on how big a pay rise he would offer nurses then sat there with a face like thunder.