Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023

Doubled down with another on gun crime, in the week the Liverpool baby killer was sentenced to 40+ years, having only committed the murder a few months ago.

It'll just turn voters off all parties.

It really does vary by region to a quite incredible degree. Political adverts about child sexual abuse and gun crime seem ridiculous when you live in Norfolk. Here the Tories are going to get rinsed initially about the NHS and then with the sh1t in the rivers and coastal areas at the top of the tree.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Basically the Tories have done nothing to improve our lives in recent parliaments but they have degraded lots of things whilst increasing taxation.

Well done them.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600

Diane Abbott, the gift that keeps on giving. Gives a bit more context to Corbyn's downfall.

Why am I not surprised?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,630
    Shame as she was as at the sharp end of racist nonsense as anyone.

Think parties in general need to be careful of MPs who become part of the furniture. Sharper pruning would be welcome.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,519

Shame as she was as at the sharp end of racist nonsense as anyone.

Yes, true, but she should have known the scrutiny that her opining on different ethnic groups would receive, and that the abuse directed at her wouldn't give her a, erm, carte blanche.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,757
    Well she's finally got her wish of being kicked out.
  • Stevo_666
    I suppose on the downside there now will be less chances to laugh at the rubbish that she spouts.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,685
    She's always been someone who puts together a series of words, careful pauses and inflections, but with absolutely no information content. Somewhat like most of the current cabinet.
  • Stevo_666
    edited April 2023

She's always been someone who puts together a series of words, careful pauses and inflections, but with absolutely no information content. Somewhat like most of the current cabinet.

She did include information, trouble was it was so obviously wrong it was comical. For example:
    https://youtu.be/fxjkvjHn6Qg
    :smiley:
  • Stevo_666
    And then there were things like the odd shoes episode

• rick_chasey
    You must be pleased with the labour leadership that's she's been expelled from the party then?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

You must be pleased with the labour leadership that's she's been expelled from the party then?

my fear is that the stars are aligning to give Labour "too big" a majority
  • rick_chasey

MMm not so sure, mud hasn't even began to start slinging.

However bad the Tories are I don't think Starmer has it in him to win like Blair did.
  • briantrumpet

However bad the Tories are I don't think Starmer has it in him to win like Blair did.

No, agreed, as there doesn't seem to be an inspiring vision, other than "We're not corrupt & incompetent Tories" (apologies for the tautology), and Starmer is no charismatic orator.

Mind you, "We're not corrupt & incompetent Tories" is enough for me this time, whoever it might be in East Devon (probably Lib Dems) in parliamentary, and Labour in local. I can be patient on the EU front.
  • Stevo_666

Given why I started the thread, I'm a bit sad to see her go :)
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,525
    Could someone explain the outrage about her comments? It seems to be universally agreed they were wrong, but I'm struggling a bit.
  • Stevo_666

Don't be so pessimistic. There are even a few signs of nervousness in leftiebollox la-la land given the personalised attacks on Sunak in those ads they ran recently.
  • kingstongraham

Could someone explain the outrage about her comments? It seems to be universally agreed they were wrong, but I'm struggling a bit.

It is true that many types of white people with points of difference, such as redheads, can experience this prejudice. But they are not all their lives subject to racism. In pre-civil rights America, Irish people, Jewish people and Travellers were not required to sit at the back of the bus. In apartheid South Africa, these groups were allowed to vote. And at the height of slavery, there were no white-seeming people manacled on the slave ships.

Surely you see the problem with equating the racial hatred Jews have suffered through history to being teased for having red hair?

Or how ridiculous it is to conclude that because of the two vaguely correct instances she specifically cites, there has never been racism against Jewish people?
  • surrey_commuter

SNP imploding will give Starmer more seats

ToL reckons the LDs are confident of unseating Raab and others in the blue wall

with the way our chickenshit democracy works I see 50+ as "too big"
  • TheBigBean

It is true that many types of white people with points of difference, such as redheads, can experience this prejudice. But they are not all their lives subject to racism. In pre-civil rights America, Irish people, Jewish people and Travellers were not required to sit at the back of the bus. In apartheid South Africa, these groups were allowed to vote. And at the height of slavery, there were no white-seeming people manacled on the slave ships.

Surely you see the problem with equating the racial hatred Jews have suffered through history to being teased for having red hair?

Or how ridiculous it is to conclude that because of the two vaguely correct instances she specifically cites, there has never been racism against Jewish people?
    It's certainly clumsy to both bring red haired people into it and to ignore the fairly significant historical events that affected Jewish people. Also, oppression Olympics rarely plays out well.

All of that said, most statistical metrics would suggest that some groups suffer more than others. This would line up with my anecdotal experience of what bigots talk about although abuse of travellers would be pretty high on that scale too.

Incidentally, I think teasing people about hair colour will probably become less acceptable.
  • kingstongraham

It's certainly clumsy to both bring red haired people into it and to ignore the fairly significant historical events that affected Jewish people. Also, oppression Olympics rarely plays out well.

All of that said, most statistical metrics would suggest that some groups suffer more than others. This would line up with my anecdotal experience of what bigots talk about although abuse of travellers would be pretty high on that scale too.

Incidentally, I think teasing people about hair colour will probably become less acceptable.
    It was a response to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/15/racism-in-britain-is-not-a-black-and-white-issue-it-is-far-more-complicated

• TheBigBean

It was a response to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/apr/15/racism-in-britain-is-not-a-black-and-white-issue-it-is-far-more-complicated

Thanks for posting the background as it does help to frame the discussion. I guess my anecdotal evidence of bigoted views differs from the survey of those receiving them.

• briantrumpet

Apparently it's already not acceptable in the school where I work.
  • First.Aspect

Will this include grey?
  • First.Aspect

Apparently it's already not acceptable in the school where I work.
    Is your head teacher a ginger then?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    "Nobody f***s with the Baldies!"
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

I think you underestimated the seemingly natural leftie ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Or at least to underachive compared to expectations.
  • Stevo_666

I think you underestimated the seemingly natural leftie ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Or at least to underachive compared to expectations.
  • surrey_commuter
    Stevo_666 said:

I don't mind Rishi, but calm and steady does not get the headlines and I don't think he has long enough for stability to turn the epolls around