Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I think under Corbyn there will be a fundamental change in how policy is formulated,it will not be from the top down.

None of us know what the future holds, I;m greatful of having a proper choice at the next GE.

Good point. He has said that the Labour Party will decide policy, not just him and a small governing clique.

Hopefully the rest of Labour will agree with him on putting that total gobshite Blair up in front of a court. :D
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    So, after plenty of fighting talk from the Corbynistas, who apart from Mamba is going to take me up on the bet? Mambe at least made half a bet :)

Roll up, roll up and put your money where your mouth is :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • finchy
    Sorry, I still don't gamble. Besides, seeing as the stage is set for a 5 year long media campaign against Corbyn, I definitely wouldn't bet on him even if I were a gambler.
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    The fact is that Labour have elected a leader that at best only appeals to some people who would have voted Labour anyway. To win the next election Labour has to attract support from right of centre voters. Bearing in mind that Miliband couldn't achieve it, why would a further lurch to the left do the trick?

Three months ago Corbyn was the rank outsider to win the leadership contest. During that time he has worked solidly to build support and overwhelmingly achieved it through his charismatic speeches.
    IMO this country is crying out for a politician of conviction who can actually oppose the Tories in a reasoned way.
    Corbyn has the capability to pick up enough support over the next four years to surprise a lot of people.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    So, after plenty of fighting talk from the Corbynistas, who apart from Mamba is going to take me up on the bet? Mambe at least made half a bet :)

Suspect most people interested in having a bet are going for better than evens... 8/1 for Corbyn to be next PM in several places :)
  • Stevo_666

Suspect most people interested in having a bet are going for better than evens... 8/1 in several places :)
    Shut up and stop spoiling it, I was onto a nice.little earner from deluded lefties here :twisted:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    The fact is that Labour have elected a leader that at best only appeals to some people who would have voted Labour anyway. To win the next election Labour has to attract support from right of centre voters. Bearing in mind that Miliband couldn't achieve it, why would a further lurch to the left do the trick?

Three months ago Corbyn was the rank outsider to win the leadership contest. During that time he has worked solidly to build support and overwhelmingly achieved it through his charismatic speeches.
    IMO this country is crying out for a politician of conviction who can actually oppose the Tories in a reasoned way.
    Corbyn has the capability to pick up enough support over the next four years to surprise a lot of people.
    Fancy a bet then? :)
  • Stevo_666
    Sorry, I still don't gamble. Besides, seeing as the stage is set for a 5 year long media campaign against Corbyn, I definitely wouldn't bet on him even if I were a gambler.
    No worries finchy, I understand :wink:

t0153.jpg
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    If Corbyn generates a lot of support over the next 5 years and the Tories get twitchy, it will affect their policies come the next general election. So win or loose, Corbyn will have an effect on the British Political Landscape.
    Maybe he will drag some of the topics in to the public domain at a different angle and get people discussing things like they did in Scotland, instead of this one dimensional clap trap the Tories spout.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

No 1/2 a bet from me, as thats impossible, so Full bet dude, i drink a lot of beer, so that ll tak your losses to around a oner :lol:

the more i read about this and the seemingly panicked statements from tories past and present, i m beginning to taste that Sol sooner than i thought and as try as you might to belittle a £50 bet, either way the money isnt going to you or i, but to a decent charity, talking of which, who are you giving your money too, you havnt yet said, YOU do plan on honouring it, dont you? im beginning to doubt your integrity :roll:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    If Corbyn generates a lot of support over the next 5 years and the Tories get twitchy, it will affect their policies come the next general election. So win or loose, Corbyn will have an effect on the British Political Landscape.
    Maybe he will drag some of the topics in to the public domain at a different angle and get people discussing things like they did in Scotland, instead of this one dimensional clap trap the Tories spout.

^this, after all, it wouldnt be the first time.......
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

No 1/2 a bet from me, as thats impossible, so Full bet dude, i drink a lot of beer, so that ll tak your losses to around a oner :lol:

the more i read about this and the seemingly panicked statements from tories past and present, i m beginning to taste that Sol sooner than i thought and as try as you might to belittle a £50 bet, either way the money isnt going to you or i, but to a decent charity, talking of which, who are you giving your money too, you havnt yet said, YOU do plan on honouring it, dont you? im beginning to doubt your integrity :roll:

Alzheimers Research UK - or had you forgotten?
  • finchy

t0153.jpg

No, you don't understand. My granddad, who suffered severe mental illnesses due to his experiences in the war, gambled away vast amounts of money, leaving his family in poverty. My dad told me about this when I was a teenager and bet 50p on a football match with a friend, and I promised him I would never bet on anything ever again.
  • Stevo_666

t0153.jpg

No, you don't understand. My granddad, who suffered severe mental illnesses due to his experiences in the war, gambled away vast amounts of money, leaving his family in poverty. My dad told me about this when I was a teenager and bet 50p on a football match with a friend, and I promised him I would never bet on anything ever again.
    Fair enough, no more pressure from me on betting then.

Although (being blunt here), you seem perfectly prepared to bet the financial future of this entire country on a man whose plans you admit that you do not know whether they are even remotley affordable ! And many sensible economic/finance types are pretty clear that they are not.
  • Stevo_666

Grow a bigger pair and make it £100 then :wink: After all, if he loses, as a top rate tax payer you will easily be able to afford it as you wont get your wallet raped to fund pathetic social engineering projects :)
  • Stevo_666

Alzheimers Research UK - or had you forgotten?
    :lol:
  • pinno
    ^ Stevo attempts to deliver rhetoric like Enoch Powell but fails.
  • finchy
    Although (being blunt here), you seem perfectly prepared to bet the financial future of this entire country on a man whose plans you admit that you do not know whether they are even remotley affordable ! And many sensible economic/finance types are pretty clear that they are not.

Er... I haven't actually decided who I'm going to vote for yet. 2020 is 5 years away, none of the parties have issued a manifesto and I don't know what the major issues facing the country will be then.
  • Stevo_666
    ^ Stevo attempts to deliver rhetoric like Enoch Powell but fails.
    I suppose that that if JC wins, the streets will be filled with rivers of cash - ours. But given the bookies are reportedly offering 8 to 1 against, they clearly know something that the leftie crowd here either dont know or dont want to know :wink:

(Awaits claim that the bookies are just right wing stooges like the media are meant to be)
  • Stevo_666

Er... I haven't actually decided who I'm going to vote for yet. 2020 is 5 years away, none of the parties have issued a manifesto and I don't know what the major issues facing the country will be then.
    So why are are you sticking up for his policies so strongly? Including the usual pre-emptive excuse of 'he will lose due to media bias', rather than the possibility that the media are simply attacking his policies because they think they are sh*t?
  • pinno
    It is without doubt that the majority media is right wing.
  • Stevo_666
    And the majority of sensible people think that Corbyn's plans are sh*t, so your point is what exactly?
  • finchy

So why are are you sticking up for his policies so strongly? Including the usual pre-emptive excuse of 'he will lose due to media bias', rather than the possibility that the media are simply attacking his policies because they think they are sh*t?

I think that it's worth listening to what he has to say before making up my mind. And some of his policies are, as I have already said, just mainstream policies in other countries.

The media thing is about the out-and-out lies that he's been facing. For example, the women-only train carriages. He actually said that he wasn't in favour of these, but he would consult with women's groups, for which the Mail, the Telegraph and the Guardian responded with pathetic articles from female journalists denouncing him for a policy that he doesn't even support! If he's so bad, why do they have to lie?
  • Stevo_666

^this, after all, it wouldnt be the first time.......
    Yeah right :roll: . I bet Cameron and Osborne are relishing getting stuck into Corbyn. I would be if I were them :)
  • Stevo_666

I think that it's worth listening to what he has to say before making up my mind. And some of his policies are, as I have already said, just mainstream policies in other countries.

The media thing is about the out-and-out lies that he's been facing. For example, the women-only train carriages. He actually said that he wasn't in favour of these, but he would consult with women's groups, for which the Mail, the Telegraph and the Guardian responded with pathetic articles from female journalists denouncing him for a policy that he doesn't even support! If he's so bad, why do they have to lie?
    See anove about pre-emptive excuses. Just like the last election, when he loses it will be nothing to do with crap policy :roll:
  • finchy
    So why do they have to resort to lying?
  • pinno
    And the majority of sensible people think that Corbyn's plans are sh*t, so your point is what exactly?

That he will get an unfair press. That the press will dig up all sorts of cr4p and dish it out/distort it.

Hell knows that if we had a predominantly left wing press, they might have slung mud around regarding Cameroon's 'membership' of the Bullingdon brigade and all the 4rsehole activities they got up to but we don't, so that sort of thing gets swept under the carpet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    If enough people do vote for him then it will matter not a jot what "sensible" people think.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

BURN THE WITCH!! BURN IT!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660

That he will get an unfair press. That the press will dig up all sorts of cr4p and dish it out/distort it.

Hell knows that if we had a predominantly left wing press, they might have slung mud around regarding Cameroon's 'membership' of the Bullingdon brigade and all the 4rsehole activities they got up to but we don't, so that sort of thing gets swept under the carpet.

Case point - current banner on the Telegraph website - Corbyn gives jobs for the boys as unions threaten to use his Labour leadership victory to cripple Britain

That last bit is just pathetically puerile
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver