Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598
    None of the 4 candidates seems to be the one that will bring Labour back into power in 2020. I've got the feeling the really smart guys in the party have avoided entering the leadership race, to avoid burning their chance... there is probably too much ground to cover, as too many electors have been lost.
    Realistically, Labour target should be that of regaining part of Scotland and doing better in the rest of the nation, but I don't think they can win the next elections, as things stand...

That said, a lot can happen in 5 years and if there was a second recession anything could happen.

If I was Labour, I would campaign to give vote to citizens who have been residents and taxpayers for say 5 years or so... among the "foreigners" living here with no UK passport there is hardly any Tory, so Tories as a matter of fact represent a minority of the taxpayers and the job of the Government is to spend public money...

What worries me is that by 2020 Osborne could be PM, so Labour need to be a credible alternative by then to take advantage of his unpopularity. Whether Corbyn will be leader by then is debatable but a lot of voters will have been affected by government cuts and generally disillusioned enough to decide enough is enough and will vote for a party which is apparently offering them something rather than taking away.
    If I was a Tory voter I'd be very concerned with the way the current government are going and less bothered about who will be leading the opposition.
    If the left are to be believed, these tory cuts have been going on since Mrs T took power in1979. And yet the only politician to take the tories out of power since then was Tony Blair. If the country was going to turn to the far left to save the country from these allegedly terrible spending cuts, they probably would have done so by now.

The more likely explanation is that most people realise you can't spend beyond your means in the long term and that you have to cut your cloth according to the circumstances. Otherwise we probably wouldn't have the Tory majority that we currently do.

You may be right that we should be more concerned about our own affairs, but if Corbyn is leading Labour in 12 days time, it's one less thing to worry about :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Anyone know the real reason Chukka Ummuna pulled out? He seemed to be an effective communicator and actually impressed me. When he dropped out I was surprised. Could it be he realized Ed's successor was going to be the caretaker leader only and it's the leader after this next I've who stands any chance.

Politics seem to me to be about cycles. Right now we are not close to the Labour part of the cycle. Either before or after the 2020 GE they'll be electing another Labour leader. I think perhaps Chukka and perhaps others yet to creep out of the woodwork will lead Labour back into government, when the cycle is right. That's not in 2020 imho.

Of course it could be that Chukka has some dodgy matter to explain his withdrawal but I think he's stood back so he'll win the next leadership contest and the GE after the next. Planning ahead which is what Labour really needs. The thoughts and ideas for the 2025 GE.
  • Stevo_666
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625

You could also say 'Cameron's inabilty to control his own party could impact UK foreign policy towards Syria' given he's got 30 rebels.

It's fairly consistent from Corbyn. He was very anti Iraq invasion then, so can't see why he'd be pro Syria intervention either.
  • Anyone know the real reason Chukka Ummuna pulled out? He seemed to be an effective communicator and actually impressed me. When he dropped out I was surprised. Could it be he realized Ed's successor was going to be the caretaker leader only and it's the leader after this next I've who stands any chance.
    Of course it could be that Chukka has some dodgy matter to explain his withdrawal but I think he's stood back so he'll win the next leadership contest and the GE after the next. Planning ahead which is what Labour really needs. The thoughts and ideas for the 2025 GE.

I doubt he'd have been popular with Labour members he comes across as part of the London Labour set perceived as being out of touch with ordinary working people.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Anyone know the real reason Chukka Ummuna pulled out?

He said the day he announced his election a bunch of hacks turned up to his mother's house with all the dirt they had on him and quizzed her about it, or something like that.

Said he wasn't prepared to put his family through that.

Seems fair enough. He's quite young anyway.
  • Stevo_666

You could also say 'Cameron's inabilty to control his own party could impact UK foreign policy towards Syria' given he's got 30 rebels.

It's fairly consistent from Corbyn. He was very anti Iraq invasion then, so can't see why he'd be pro Syria intervention either.
    Fair points but it would be sad and ironic if Corbyn opposition slowed or prevented the defeat of IS in the case that it came to international military action. It is likely that the current Labour party would support some form of military action from what I have read, so the root cause of the issue would be Corbyn. Assuming of course that he can control his party....
  • Despite Stevos meddling, as much as I would like it.I don't think Corbyn will win.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Stevo_666
    Despite Stevos meddling, as much as I would like it.I don't think Corbyn will win.
    Why not Frank?
  • Despite Stevos meddling, as much as I would like it.I don't think Corbyn will win.
    Why not Frank?
    While I think he will have the largest number of votes by some way, I don't know, I don't think he will hit 50% and he won't be anyone else's second or third choice.
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo_666
    Despite Stevos meddling, as much as I would like it.I don't think Corbyn will win.
    Why not Frank?
    While I think he will have the largest number of votes by some way, I don't know, I don't think he will hit 50% and he won't be anyone else's second or third choice.
    We can still hope :mrgreen:
  • rick_chasey

The polls and the bookies say otherwise.

The polls and the bookies say otherwise.
    They also said it would be a hung parliament. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• rick_chasey
    So did you IIRC
  • So did you IIRC
    I allowed myself to be influenced by the opinion polls. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

• Stevo_666
    Labour approaches the electoral abyss - will they jump? We find out tomorrow.

If they do, I would like to think that my little push helped :)
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,501
    Well, it's Jezza with 59% of the vote.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Stevo_666
    Awesome news for everyone except the Labour party :mrgreen:

Not sure why, but this song has just popped into my head :)

Hasta la vista, Labour...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Must admit JC's politics are not my own but like when the Tories got voted in 2010, I will seek out the positives.
    This is a vote for many for conviction politics and a voice to challenge the status quo.
    I am surprised at a swing to the left but we'll have to see where this road takes us.
    Stevo, even from a Conservative position, you should not take comfort from what you perceive to be weak opposition. Any government should be challenged by a strong opposition.
    Potentially the Lib Dems could the beneficiary in all of this but none of us really know what 2020 will look like. We're in uncharted territory now.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549

I have a suspicion that a popularist left wing leader is going to be surprisingly, erm, popular.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Stevo_666

I have a suspicion that a popularist left wing leader is going to be surprisingly, erm, popular with the hard left.
    FTFY.

I offered a bet with anyone on the result of the next election earlier in this thread and all I got was excuses :wink: . £100 says the Conservatives will win more seats than any other party at the next general election.

Anyone want to put the money where their mouth is?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Maybe so few voted labour last time because they were essentially tory lite

With Corbyn, now have an alternative to for the population to get out and vote for. Less votes split across other left wing parties like Green, SNP, Plied Cymru and the tory alternative UKIP
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Stevo_666

With Corbyn, now have an alternative to for the population to get out and vote for. Less votes split across other left wing parties like Green, SNP, Plied Cymru and the tory alternative UKIP
    You betting?

You seem to honestly think he can win :lol:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    If Jeremy Corbyn's obviously such an awful leader with views which any reasonable person would reject, why do the Tory media have to spend so much time on launching personal attacks on him?
  • Stevo_666
    If Jeremy Corbyn's obviously such an awful leader with views which any reasonable person would reject, why do the Tory media have to spend so much time on launching personal attacks on him?
    Give him a chance - he hasn't had the time to show what an awful leader he is.

In other news, 'Back to the Future IV' is coming out, where Labour go back to 1985. The main difference will be the Delorean has been replaced with some British Leyland piece of crap :)
  • ben@31

You betting?

You seem to honestly think he can win :lol:

I seriously think new labour lost last time because they did not appeal. The parties were too alike. New labour essentially stabbed their core traditional supporters in the back when new labour shifted to the right to chase the "middle class voter".
  • ben@31

Awesome news for democracy.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

I offered a bet with anyone on the result of the next election earlier in this thread and all I got was excuses :wink: . £100 says the Conservatives will win more seats than any other party at the next general election.

Anyone want to put the money where their mouth is?

I ll put up £50 to our local St Lukes Hospice, in Plymouth, that says Corbyn will win the next election, proviso is that he is still labour leader at the time, reason? he is 66.
    You can chose a charity of your choice - this is on top of a few beers we ve got as a side bet.

i ve a feeling that many people will warm to Corbyn, someone who isnt afraid to say yes or no to a question and believes in what he says, rather than someone who believes in opinion polls or the red tops editorial, either way, i reckon he ll herald in a different style of politics that the tories are going to struggle to deal with, they are going to come across as patronising and no one likes that.

i see 2 senior tories have warned against cockiness and complacency, i m assuming your not going to be the 3rd? :wink:
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Corbyn's biggest weakness will be immigration, which seems to get the blame for just about every problem our country faces these days. He's unashamedly pro-immigration, and that could really hinder Labour.

The good news is that he won't be afraid to really rip into the Tories, because he's not just going to be a different side to the same coin.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Corbyn's biggest weakness will be immigration, which seems to get the blame for just about every problem our country faces these days. He's unashamedly pro-immigration, and that could really hinder Labour.

The good news is that he won't be afraid to really rip into the Tories, because he's not just going to be a different side to the same coin.

Yes, maybe BUT Cameron has also failed utterly to limit migration, so is hardly in position to criticise, infact by doing so, would open up his record to closer examination, UKIP didnt sweep to power on an anti migration stance.

Should Corbyn get into power, i ll be hoping for some pro cycling laws/enforcement, having just done 70 miles around Devon and had at least 3 nr death experiences with cars over taking, it would be about time too.