Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    422,664 votes cast

Corbyn won 251,417 (59%)
    Andy Burnham 19%
    Yvette Cooper 17%
    Liz Kendall 4.5%

Nearly 87% of the new £3 supporters voted for Corbyn.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • Brilliant news. Completely smashed them. Am very happy right now.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    edited September 2015
    5612664-large.jpg

I doubt any Tory head hitting their down pillow tonight will stay awake worrying about the new potent leader of the opposition.

The land of delusion is great. The taste of another electoral defeat won't taste so sweet and while it's a breath of fresh air JC has won anyone who thinks the saviour has landed is away with the fairies.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,598

I offered a bet with anyone on the result of the next election earlier in this thread and all I got was excuses :wink: . £100 says the Conservatives will win more seats than any other party at the next general election.

Anyone want to put the money where their mouth is?

I ll put up £50 to our local St Lukes Hospice, in Plymouth, that says Corbyn will win the next election, proviso is that he is still labour leader at the time, reason? he is 66.
    You can chose a charity of your choice - this is on top of a few beers we ve got as a side bet.

i ve a feeling that many people will warm to Corbyn, someone who isnt afraid to say yes or no to a question and believes in what he says, rather than someone who believes in opinion polls or the red tops editorial, either way, i reckon he ll herald in a different style of politics that the tories are going to struggle to deal with, they are going to come across as patronising and no one likes that.

i see 2 senior tories have warned against cockiness and complacency, i m assuming your not going to be the 3rd? :wink:
    The bet's on. Happy for it to be subject to your proviso - ie null and void if Corbyn is not leader at the time of the next GE. I'll nominate Alzheimers Research UK as my chosen charity.

At last, someone with some cojones...pity you didn't go for the fulll £100 mind :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Awesome news for everyone except the Labour party :mrgreen:

Awesome news for democracy.
    Absolutely. Like I said, awesome news for everyone except Labour.

Glad I could be a part of that democratic process :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ben@31
    5612664-large.jpg

I doubt any Tory head hitting their down pillow tonight will stay awake worrying about the new potent leader of the opposition.

The land of delusion is great. The taste of another electoral defeat won't taste so sweet and while it's a breath of fresh air JC has won anyone who thinks the saviour has landed is away with the fairies.

Are they laughing all the way to the banker pay-masters in that photo?

Oh they are worrying. Because now they have real opposition who doesn't agree with their policies.

It doesn't matter if you think it's delusion, as now the electorate have a choice.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549

Hasta la vista, Labour...
    I have a suspicion that a popularist left wing leader is going to be surprisingly, erm, popular with the hard left.
    FTFY.

I offered a bet with anyone on the result of the next election earlier in this thread and all I got was excuses :wink: . £100 says the Conservatives will win more seats than any other party at the next general election.

Of course hes not going to WIN, theres too many issues and too much ground to make up, so no bet. Would bet his party would do better than any of the other labour non-entities would have done but its of course moot. But if the US has shown us nothing else (and it hasnt) its the value of appearing a radical in the primaries and a moderate in the election, and I suspect hes going to reinvigorate a significant part of the disenfranchised population.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • Corbyn's biggest weakness will be immigration, which seems to get the blame for just about every problem our country faces these days. He's unashamedly pro-immigration, and that could really hinder Labour.

If Labour wan't to get elected then that is the real conundrum they need to solve. Immigration affects their biggest voting group the most, the blue collar workers, by squeezing their wages and living conditions whilst obviously benefitting migrants who can't actually vote. If you want to get elected you need to look after the voters or at least engage with them in a positive way on the subject rather than just call them racist. A blindingly obvious statement you'd think but it appears not to Labour leaders in the last decade or so.
  • Well it's all conjecture until it happens. At least one of two good charities are going to get £50, unless Corbyn fails to make it to 2020 as leader of Labour. Won't anyone else take Stevo up on the bet under the same rules? It's all for charity not the pocket of a Tory, sorry for the pocket of the winning punter.

I'm wondering who the 7 shadow cabinet members who've resigned are. The only ones I've heard Yvette Cooper I think. When will the big hitters in the shadow cabinet come out in support or resign their front bench positions? Oh Tristram Hunt has resigned. IMO he looks more Tory than most Tories. Sure no loss to Corbyn. Will there be a schism? Doubt it since career politicians are in it for the long haul which means keep quiet and.wait it out. Who knows which person might next do a Corbyn in the Labour party.
  • Stevo_666

Hasta la vista, Labour...
    I have a suspicion that a popularist left wing leader is going to be surprisingly, erm, popular with the hard left.
    FTFY.

Of course hes not going to WIN, theres too many issues and too much ground to make up, so no bet. Would bet his party would do better than any of the other labour non-entities would have done but its of course moot. But if the US has shown us nothing else (and it hasnt) its the value of appearing a radical in the primaries and a moderate in the election, and I suspect hes going to reinvigorate a significant part of the disenfranchised population.
    OK, so you think that Corbyn will be 'surprisingly popular', but not popular enough to win? Not really that popular then...or are you saying that he is massively unpopular with the general population now but might actually avoid getting totally wiped off the electoral map next time round?

This will be the 1980's all over again, when Labour lurched to the left under Michael Foot's leadership, but their own supporters kept telling them that was the right thing to do and they got wiped out at the ballot box. With a likely splintering of the party as more moderate MP's break away - again as seen in the 80's when the SDP was formed. If they stay on this track, Labour in 2020 will end up being a fringe protest party representing a minority of the population. Rock on 8)
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    5612664-large.jpg

Yeah breath of fresh air all right. 66 year old Commie who has not had a proper job and been an MP for 32 years achieving nowt. No one had heard of him until May.
  • Stevo_666
    Corbyn's biggest weakness will be immigration, which seems to get the blame for just about every problem our country faces these days. He's unashamedly pro-immigration, and that could really hinder Labour.

The good news is that he won't be afraid to really rip into the Tories, because he's not just going to be a different side to the same coin.
    Let's not forget he will be a total liability on the economy and foreign policy as well as immigration. Just three of the most important parts of policy...
  • Stevo_666
    5612664-large.jpg

Yeah breath of fresh air all right. 66 year old Commie who has not had a proper job and been an MP for 32 years achieving nowt. No one had heard of him until May.
    A breath of fresh air like Michael Foot was :lol:

Bally, be sure to tune into Prime Ministers questions on Wednesday, it's going to be shooting fish in a barrel time in the House of Commons :twisted:
  • ballysmate
    It would appear that the Labour front bench will be a bit empty. Might be just Jezza on his own.
  • Stevo_666
    It would appear that the Labour front bench will be a bit empty. Might be just Jezza on his own.
    Look at it this way - would you have Corbyn as your boss? Especially when you know you will be on the losing team. I wouldn't even have the beardy saddo as a minion, never mind reporting to him.

Anyway I'm busy celebrating, still can't quite believe that Labour have committed electoral suicide like this when the lessons from history were plain to see. I've said it before - lefties just don't learn.

Although it will be interesting to see whether 9% or more of Corbyn's 59% share of the vote was down to tory infiltrators. Would be good to know if #toriesforcorbyn tipped the scales :)
  • ben@31

Let's not forget he will be a total liability on the economy ...

Where did you get this from, or is it your personal ( unqualified ) opinion?

Corbyn's economic platform has been endorsed by a number of prominent economists, including David Blanchflower, a former member of the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee, and Steve Keen. [43] Robert Skidelsky offered a qualified endorsement of Corbyn's proposals to carry out QE through a National Investment Bank.[44][45]
    They were among 41 academics who signed a letter to The Guardian which argued: "The accusation is widely made that Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters have moved to the extreme left on economic policy. But this is not supported by the candidate’s statements or policies. His opposition to austerity is actually mainstream economics, even backed by the conservative IMF.".[46] The Nobel-Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz said he was unsurprised at support for anti-austerity campaigners like Corbyn following the "disappointment" of policies pursued by New Labour.[43] Robert Skidelsky offered a qualified endorsement of Corbyn's proposals to carry out QE through a National Investment Bank.[44][45]
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086
    Just might backfire on you Stevo.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate

Corbyn's economic platform has been endorsed by a number of prominent economists, including David Blanchflower, a former member of the Bank of England’s monetary policy committee, and Steve Keen. [43] Robert Skidelsky offered a qualified endorsement of Corbyn's proposals to carry out QE through a National Investment Bank.[44][45]
    They were among 41 academics who signed a letter to The Guardian which argued: "The accusation is widely made that Jeremy Corbyn and his supporters have moved to the extreme left on economic policy. But this is not supported by the candidate’s statements or policies. His opposition to austerity is actually mainstream economics, even backed by the conservative IMF.".[46] The Nobel-Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz said he was unsurprised at support for anti-austerity campaigners like Corbyn following the "disappointment" of policies pursued by New Labour.[43] Robert Skidelsky offered a qualified endorsement of Corbyn's proposals to carry out QE through a National Investment Bank.[44][45]

So you can copy and paste.
  • ben@31
    Let's not forget he will be a total liability on the economy and foreign policy as well as immigration. Just three of the most important parts of policy...

FTFY..

Let's not forget he will be a total liability to corporate tax evasion, illegal war and the persecution of Syrian refugees.

Yeah, backing up what I say with evidence so its factually correct. Otherwise you might as well read the Daily Heil (just don't mention the DM's open support of the Nazis in the 1930's, their mods don't like that).
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Corbyn's biggest weakness will be immigration, which seems to get the blame for just about every problem our country faces these days. He's unashamedly pro-immigration, and that could really hinder Labour.

The good news is that he won't be afraid to really rip into the Tories, because he's not just going to be a different side to the same coin.

You've still not told me which of his economic policies are going to be such a disaster. Anyway, if the people of Britain will have George "Let's copy the Irish" Osborne as Chancellor, why not Corbyn? Especially as I would imagine he opposed bank deregulation (can't be arsed to look up whether or not he did). Unlike a certain political party I could name.
  • finchy

Seeing as supporting your opinions with facts on an Internet forum usually comes in the form of C&P or posting links, why is that a bad thing?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Just might backfire on you Stevo.
    I think smarmy Davie has run his course. People will be looking for something different.
    It could well backfire.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

The majority of informed economic opinion as well as my own. just a few examples here:
    http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21662588-what-do-economists-really-think-corbynomics-too-good-be-true
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11840928/Jeremy-Corbyns-economic-policies-could-be-highly-damaging-economists-warn.html

BTW the words 'letter to the Guardian' should ring a few alarm bells...
  • ballysmate

Seeing as supporting your opinions with facts on an Internet forum usually comes in the form of C&P or posting links, why is that a bad thing?

Not really. But most people can be arsed to remove the [Reference] and provide a link to the original document.
  • finchy

Not really. But most people can be arsed to remove the [Reference] and provide a link to the original document.

Fair enuff.
  • finchy

The majority of informed economic opinion as well as my own. just a few examples here:
    http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21662588-what-do-economists-really-think-corbynomics-too-good-be-true
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/11840928/Jeremy-Corbyns-economic-policies-could-be-highly-damaging-economists-warn.html

Yeah, whereas the Daily Torygraph is a fine source. :roll:

How many years now have they been telling us that the Euro is on the verge of collapse, global warming is a hoax and what we really need to boost education in standards is to unleash a load of untrained teachers on our kids?
  • Stevo_666

You've still not told me which of his economic policies are going to be such a disaster. Anyway, if the people of Britain will have George "Let's copy the Irish" Osborne as Chancellor, why not Corbyn? Especially as I would imagine he opposed bank deregulation (can't be arsed to look up whether or not he did). Unlike a certain political party I could name.
    Try costing up is policies and telling us how the **** this country will afford them. The generalisations about getting most of it from taxing the rich/corporates more I know from experience don't work. See my stats on the 50% rate which I posted on here a few times.

And stop going about bank deregulation. I manage a treasury department and I can see banks are probably the most highly regulated industry on the planet. They cannot move for red tape in some situations. Very frustrating and a drag on doing business.

As for foreign policy, any thoughts on what this IRA/Hezbollah supporter will do apart from wave a big white flag any time the going gets tough?
  • Stevo_666

Yeah, whereas the Daily Torygraph is a fine source. :roll:

How many years now have they been telling us that the Euro is on the verge of collapse, global warming is a hoax and what we really need to boost education in standards is to unleash a load of untrained teachers on our kids?
    You think that the Euro is under serious pressure? You don't work in a treasury department. We have a euro break up contingency plan at the ready for a good reason. Because it is a possibility. One size does not fit all and the issues in Southern Europe are good evidence.

Seriously, some people are properly deluded if they think that Corbyns policies are sensible. That said, he'll never get a chance to put them into practice because the electorate are not that stupid - IMO of course. One day you might realise that backing a loser is not a good idea.
  • Stevo_666

FTFY..

Let's not forget he will be a total liability to corporate tax evasion, illegal war and the persecution of Syrian refugees.

Yeah, backing up what I say with evidence so its factually correct. Otherwise you might as well read the Daily Heil (just don't mention the DM's open support of the Nazis in the 1930's, their mods don't like that).
    Never read the daily Mail, it's crap.

And it's not factually correct, you are quoting opinions from people with a certain bias. I can do that too.

Why mention corporate tax avoidance specifically when corporate tax is less than 10% of the total tax take? Methinks this simply shows your irrational bias against companies. How do you think wealth is created in the first place? Does it just grow on trees? Or is it from trading perhaps? :roll:
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Try costing up is policies and telling us how the **** this country will afford them. The generalisations about getting most of it from taxing the rich/corporates more I know from experience don't work. See my stats on the 50% rate which I posted on here a few times.
    [/quote]
    Trident would be a start.
    Edit - Quotes went wrong. :oops:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.