Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    A Pyrrhic victory.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mate it's a f*cking massive self inflicted shambles and you know it.

It's not a f*cking football team, it's a government, and even you couldn't credibly say that Corbyn would have done a worse job than May has in the last 8 weeks.
    You lost as well...so you have mo right to preach.

What are you, a toddler?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That plan worked then Stevo.

The country is in a right mess now and it's all the tories fault.

But you would expect me to say that.
    Frank, I don't know how to break it to you, but Labour lost. JC gave it his best shot by promising free stuff to everyone bar the moderately well off and still came up short :wink:

The Lib Dems are still the nowhere men of politics. And the SNP lost over 1/3 of their seats.

And the icing on the Cake is that Labour are now stuck with Corbyn as they will never be able to dislodge him via a normal leader ship challenge :D Wonder if some of the moderates will have the cojones to split now?
    You joined the labour party to help destroy the labour party and make this a one party tory super state. you failed. Indeed labour are now a resurgent party and the tories are in total disarray and thanks to their own self interest (party before nation) this country is in the sh1t.
    So Frank, who's in Number 10 Downing Street? Hate to tell you this again, but you lost...

ha ha you ve helped the Labour party come together and once again become a credible opposition, not only that, May will have to scrap parts of her manifesto and modify others, that ll mean more spending......will also have find a NI magic money tree to fund the DUP's demands, which in turn will make sure the tories/media can never again throw at Corbyn his links to SF/IRA....
    If i were a tory, i be looking for another party to vote for at the next GE.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Frank, I don't know how to break it to you, but Labour lost. JC gave it his best shot by promising free stuff to everyone bar the moderately well off and still came up short :wink:

The Lib Dems are still the nowhere men of politics. And the SNP lost over 1/3 of their seats.

And the icing on the Cake is that Labour are now stuck with Corbyn as they will never be able to dislodge him via a normal leader ship challenge :D Wonder if some of the moderates will have the cojones to split now?
    You joined the labour party to help destroy the labour party and make this a one party tory super state. you failed. Indeed labour are now a resurgent party and the tories are in total disarray and thanks to their own self interest (party before nation) this country is in the sh1t.
    So Frank, who's in Number 10 Downing Street? Hate to tell you this again, but you lost...

Is calling a unnecessary GE when you ve a 17 seat majority and the official opposition is in chaos and you end up as a minority Government now called winning? mmmmmm hardly a ringing endorsement of her judgement is it.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,065
    A PM with a majority calls an uneccesarry election based on polls giving an unassailable lead. Loses majority and will probably get the sack. Some win.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Or, PM calls election to ensure no one can tinker with brexit legislation

Result, potential inability to pass any legislation.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mate it's a f*cking massive self inflicted shambles and you know it.

It's not a f*cking football team, it's a government, and even you couldn't credibly say that Corbyn would have done a worse job than May has in the last 8 weeks.
    You lost as well...so you have mo right to preach.

Had this been a correctly scheduled general election you might have had a point. But this was a deliberate manipulation of the system for party political ends. Corbyn may have spectacularly lost the 3rd general election in a row for Labour but the Conservatives lost an election that entirely unnecessarily they chose to hold.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    PBlakeney wrote:
    A PM with a majority calls an uneccesarry election based on polls giving an unassailable lead. Loses majority and will probably get the sack. Some win.

I think she stays on for a while. Who would take over from her? Boris, well would be a popular choice for satirists but he's young enough and possibly wise enough to wait until the job of leader of the Conservative Party isn't such a poison challice
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    We're all losing. May and the Tories own this shambles, but we will all pay the price.
    This ^^^
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Where have I doubted who won the election and who is in number 10 albeit with the help of the DUP.
    The point I make is you laid out £3 in the hope ofdestroying the labour party as a political force, something that you and your ilk have plainly failed to do.
    Like a typical tory you don't like the truth.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Lord Heseltine barked over the radio to tell me that TM had not opted for the minimum campaign length.

Did she really believe she could improve upon the initial polling or did she not know the rules?

Changes in the Elections Act in 1996 reduced the minimum required length of an election campaign from 47 days to 36.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865
    What number of seats would mean "electoral oblivion" for Labour at the next election? Clearly 262 is oblivion at this one.

Crowing about Scotland also seems a little previous. Labour + LD + Green + SNP + Plaid currently have 314. Doesn't take much of a shift back to SNP to shift that balance. Tactical voting by a few Labour voters switching to SNP would win at least 5 of the Conservative seats in Scotland back.
  • pblakeney
    Jez mon wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

I think she stays on for a while. Who would take over from her? Boris, well would be a popular choice for satirists but he's young enough and possibly wise enough to wait until the job of leader of the Conservative Party isn't such a poison challice
    Precisely. A complete shambles with an untenable leader.
    A vote of no confidence as a result of a suicidal vanity election.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Where have I doubted who won the election and who is in number 10 albeit with the help of the DUP.
    The point I make is you laid out £3 in the hope ofdestroying the labour party as a political force, something that you and your ilk have plainly failed to do.
    if you can't defeat them on policy and actions, like a parasite pay £3 embed yourself within the host and rot them from within. To be honest Stevo it is a tactic that is beneath most people with a sense of fair play, democracy. Sort of thing you'd expect of Putin's followers in Russia to stop the people having a choice.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,805
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

if you can't defeat them on policy and actions, like a parasite pay £3 embed yourself within the host and rot them from within. To be honest Stevo it is a tactic that is beneath most people with a sense of fair play, democracy. Sort of thing you'd expect of Putin's followers in Russia to stop the people having a choice.
    And, as I've said before, any party will be a better party if they have a viable, credible opposition. Ideas need to be tested & challenged (in the same way that science works), and the outcome of the tussle of ideas is beneficial to everyone, in the long run. The notion that supressing intellectual opposition is helpful for society as a whole is fundamentally flawed. And, as has become apparent, doesn't work for the favoured party even in the short term.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I do not disagree with much of what you say. I have always been amazed by how many "natural" Labour voters favour the Tories. By that I mean people who would be better off under Labour.

Do they just not believe the Labour promises or are there a lot of aspirers who think they will become natural Tories.

History would suggest they do not believe that a strong economy is the be all and end all.

Are you suggesting that being a Tory is something to which people aspire? I find it odd that anyone would aspire to be a particular voter of any particular shade. Be that Labour, Tory, BNP or whatever.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • surrey_commuter
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I do not disagree with much of what you say. I have always been amazed by how many "natural" Labour voters favour the Tories. By that I mean people who would be better off under Labour.

Do they just not believe the Labour promises or are there a lot of aspirers who think they will become natural Tories.

History would suggest they do not believe that a strong economy is the be all and end all.

Are you suggesting that being a Tory is something to which people aspire? I find it odd that anyone would aspire to be a particular voter of any particular shade. Be that Labour, Tory, BNP or whatever.

a big difference between aspiring to be a tory voter and aspiring to be a "natural" tory voter
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

a big difference between aspiring to be a tory voter and aspiring to be a "natural" tory voter

I think it's a bit of a misnomer, if I'm honest. Circumstances mean I benefit from a Tory setup, but no way I'd vote for the Tories. After all, it's not all about me.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899 wrote:

Generally, this is how people change their vote as they age:

- The rich will pay for it
    - Someone has to pay for it
    - I'm paying for it
    - I'm losing out on what I've paid for all my life

You can ascribe which party is relevant to which statement as you see fit.
  • surrey_commuter
    Ben6899 wrote:

- I'm paying for it

Did you just agree with me :shock:
  • surrey_commuter
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

I think it's a bit of a misnomer, if I'm honest. Circumstances mean I benefit from a Tory setup, but no way I'd vote for the Tories. After all, it's not all about me.

and there is a guy on the bins earning £20k a year who is in danger of seeing his job privatised who will vote Tory
  • Ben6899 wrote:

- I'm paying for it

While I do not hold your extreme economic views, we do agree on the underlying basics listed above.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

and there is a guy on the bins earning £20k a year who is in danger of seeing his job privatised who will vote Tory

Maybe I'm trying to save the binman from his own poor decisions? I don't know... You're right of course, I have seen some very unlikely Tory voters.
    Ben

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    For some people ben, like my in-laws, who you vote for is a reflection of your income.

"We're not poor so why should be vote Labour?"

That people who are well off can and do vote Labour they find incomprehensible.
  • Ben6899
    For some people ben, like my in-laws, who you vote for is a reflection of your income.

"We're not poor so why should be vote Labour?"

That people who are well off can and do vote Labour they find incomprehensible.

It's sad that they can't see the benefit of voting in a manner which looks after those less fortunate.
    Ben

• pblakeney
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Clearly not a natural Tory. Ad no obvious inclination to aspire to be one either. Not all about me? Tsk! Tosh and piffle. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • surrey_commuter
    Ben6899 wrote:

- I'm paying for it

While I do not hold your extreme economic views, we do agree on the underlying basics listed above.

I thought I kept my extreme economic views to myself. I thought I had only expounded the virtues of free markets but which ones do you count as extreme?

oh and you still have not named one economic expert in favour of Brexit or named one economic benefit of Brexit
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,150
    Stevo probably thinks he won on penalties.

If you look at the political divide as a pendulum (and perhaps with a degree of optimism) to which between the two opposites over a period of time, strikes a better medium than a single party state. I doubt Stevo can see that all governments need a healthy opposition. Without socialism, the right would probably have run-away Milton Friedman economics. This would mean that Stevo would be tripping over beggars in the street and I am sure that would be an inconvenience. On the other hand, if we had run-away socialism we would probably have something akin to communism and Stevo would be working for the equivalent of the Stasi/KGB.
    Neither hypothesis is palatable but when you work in the City getting a bonus and a pat on the back for providing large MNC's tax breaks and perhaps even advising on potential loopholes, it makes one somewhat blinkered.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,209
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo probably thinks he won on penalties.
    He's right. But the team captain/star player broke both legs in the process.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,846
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Frank, you are trying to act like you won when you lost. Who's struggling with truth?

My 3 quid was well spent. If Labour had gone into this election with someone like Ummuna or Burnham leading them, we may well have had a Labour PM now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]