Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Well done Stevo.

DB3PPqBUQAADDMe.jpg:large
    Wait...are you attributing Corbyn's success to Stevo? :shock:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,150
    I didn't realise it was in the PR damage limitation plan to make a charitable donation in case things went mammaries up.

Quite a clever move really.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    What yer sayin' like?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Well done Stevo.

Didn't you listen to his battlecry in the first post of the thread?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Well done Stevo.

The equivalent of those headlines that say stuff like "UK is showing the greatest growth in Europe" or suchlike - yes, if you are right at the bottom, the rate of improvement is quite likely to be better than it would be for countries that were doing OK to start with. Sometimes the absolutes are more important that the differences..........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Rolf F wrote:
    Well done Stevo.

The equivalent of those headlines that say stuff like "UK is showing the greatest growth in Europe" or suchlike - yes, if you are right at the bottom, the rate of improvement is quite likely to be better than it would be for countries that were doing OK to start with. Sometimes the absolutes are more important that the differences..........

But the rhetoric from Stevo and others was that this would be a repeat of 1983. Look at the graph.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Well done Stevo.

I have never seen Stevo and Seamus Milne in the same room. Just saying....
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Well done Stevo.

For perspective, Corbyn got less seats than Callaghan in 1979, Kinnock in 1992 and three more than Gordon Brown
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Well done Stevo.

For perspective, Corbyn got less seats than Callaghan in 1979, Kinnock in 1992 and three more than Gordon Brown

or put another way - sine the war there have been 20 elections and that is the 5th lowest number of seats that Labour has won. And in 1959 Hugh Gaitskill got 258 of only 630 seats so we could reasonably say Corbyn presided over the 4th worst performance since the war.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,845
    Well done Stevo.

Beat me to it. Once a leftie loser, always a leftie loser :)

And Labour are stuck with the f****er now :D
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    You really know how to hurt my feelings, don't you :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Well done Stevo.

Beat me to it. Once a leftie loser, always a leftie loser :)

Cheers for donation and i hope things are settling down at your end of things now.

i m not entirely sure being stuck with May is such a great move, especially jumping into bed with a set up linked to terrorism and a leader who at best is tied in with a renewable fuel scheme that cost millions,
    for those that dont know, i would burn a £100 of fuel and the state would give me £160...... some people were heating farm buildings just to put in a claim.....
  • Stevo_666
    edited June 2017
    mamba80 wrote:
    Cheers for donation and i hope things are settling down at your end of things now.
    Thanks - I am into house clearing mode & headed North again tomorrow with a mate to do some heavy lifting/furniture shifting before the charity shop people come round on Monday morning. Also am dealing with some stuff with my old dear to do with deprivation of liberty safeguards in her care home. I won't bore you with the details !
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865
    I hope the conservatives aren't so complacent.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    May is an absolute car crash. Zero personality and just cannot make any connection with the electorate. And wtf was going on when she pretty much hid during the run up to the election?

Corbyn has done well, bearing in mind almost everyone expected him to be smashed. I'm suspecting that the odds for the Labour Party changing their leader by Christmas are longer than for the Conservatives.
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    ...And Labour are stuck with the f****er now :D

...and at this rate, in 4 years time, you might be stuck with the 'f****er'.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If the young vote that's woken up yesterday sticks with it then the Tories need to change tack pretty sharpish given their core vote is heading towards the grave.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Well it looks 12.8 million people think that is a good thing.

It amused me watching the BBC footage this morning, when David Dimbleby asked many Labour MPs (such as Chuka Umunna) if they got it wrong about Corbyn and will they be crawling back, wanting a job in his cabinet / front bench.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • pinno
    I did find it disheartening when Ummuna stepped down from the leadership contest and most of it due to the media.
    I think he would make a good PM.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Pinno wrote:
    I did find it disheartening when Ummuna stepped down from the leadership contest and most of it due to the media.
    I think he would make a good PM.

Shouldn't have shoved his sausage where he ought not to have then.

....according to rumour....
  • pinno
    According to Private Eye?!
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

If the young vote that's woken up yesterday sticks with it then the Tories need to change tack pretty sharpish given their core vote is heading towards the grave.
    But they have lots of replacements in the pipeline who are growing up and gaining the experience to realise that unaffordable promises of free stuff isn't always a good idea.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    The numbers don't matter. This is a message to the political class: things need to change. Teresa-in denial- May and her hopeless acolytes may ignore it, but they do so at their peril.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

But they have lots of replacements in the pipeline who are growing up and gaining the experience to realise that unaffordable promises of free stuff isn't always a good idea.

The same day your previous 18 months of continuous predictions turn to dust you dive straight back in. Be my guest.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,865
    We don't all turn Tory as we get older and wealthier.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Might want to talk to the kids Stevo. They are starting to learn the game: if you don't vote then you don't count, you do vote... then you get the likes of Canterbury. Russell Brand's disengagement schtick from last time around is so last time around.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,208
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

I think there's enough space between you and Corbyn to make some adjustments without Crossing over to the dark side.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Strange that as the DUP are expecting billions to be spent in NI now, where is that money coming? it certainly wouldnt have been budgeted for in the manifesto, so it ll be coming from us the tax payer.

I listened to a student on R4 today and she said "look we all know that not everything Labour promised can happen but they are listening to us and the Tories are not" do not make the same mistake (as the tories) that young people are stupid, they are not and certainly far less so that a PM with a 17 seat majority who ends up in a minority Government or relying on an electorate that in many cases have undiagnosed Dementia :shock:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    Suspect Dementia Tax is now off the agenda to be replaced by mandatory singing of The Sash in morning school assembly.
  • pinno
    "Summary

In 2015/16, public spending per head in the UK as a whole was £9,076. In England, it was £8,816 (3% below the UK average). This compares with:

Scotland: £10,536 (16% above the UK average)
    Wales: £9,996 (10% above the UK average)
    Northern Ireland £10,983 (21% above the UK average)."

(Parliament/ONS)

NI gets more than anyone else, just 'cos they had 'problems' in the past. That stats above don't contain the money poured in by the EU either, so what more do they want?
    I think we should do the humane thing and give them full independence - The Republic of Northern Ireland, whether they like it or not. It's just an expensive annex and the sectarianism still continues. They're incapable of forming a cohesive parliament and now the DUP with the backing of the Tories will hold sway. Probably not good for the balance of power in the long run.