Join the Labour Party and save your country!

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,279
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    You're an idiot.

I feel that lacked imagination or really hit the depth required

Can't say I disagree with you Sae15w40

FWIW, Look what happened when a bean counter was at the helm. Don't vote stevo666.
    I have no ambitions to stand for elected office - unlike some people :wink:

All I want to do is exercise my democratic right to help get beardy Captain Bats**t elected to lead Labour into the electoral wilderness, a bit like Michael Foot did in the early 80's. It's the least they deserve :)
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Apparently Jeremy Corbyn was put forward as a cynical ploy to make Andy Burnham look relatively less left wing. Anyone with any lingering doubts that Labour don't deserve Corbyn can now put their minds at rest and register. Power to the people :)

All 36% of them?
    Is there some secret political society whose purpose is 'Whingeing about how unfair the electoral system is when the election result doesn't go your way'? And is membership restricted to lefties? :wink:

We won. You lost. Tough s**t. And if Corbyn gets in, looks like things will stay that way. Spread the word.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    we can put Jeremy Corbyn in charge of the Labour party, consigning Labour to electoral oblivion for quite some time.

Does two years count?
    Just think, if a moderate like Chukka or Miliband D were leading Labour, we would probably have a Labour PM this morning. But they didn't and they lost. Still the best £3 I ever spent - and the vslue for money continues as Corbyn is still leading labour for the foreseeable future 8)

The last smug Conservative standing! Still, he's right about the Labour leadership.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That plan worked then Stevo.

The country is in a right mess now and it's all the tories fault.

But you would expect me to say that.
    Frank, I don't know how to break it to you, but Labour lost. JC gave it his best shot by promising free stuff to everyone bar the moderately well off and still came up short :wink:

The Lib Dems are still the nowhere men of politics. And the SNP lost over 1/3 of their seats.

And the icing on the Cake is that Labour are now stuck with Corbyn as they will never be able to dislodge him via a normal leader ship challenge :D Wonder if some of the moderates will have the cojones to split now?

and with a hat tip to somebody in Brussels I give you TM's and Steve0's new slogan

No majority is better than a bad majority
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,375
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The lack of willingness of people to make an un-caveated bet with me on the result - despite all the bluster on here - speaks volumes :)
    £50 to a charity of your choice against a Conservative majority win.
    Happy?
    That'll do ta. Yours plus mamba's makes the amount I'd originally offered.
    Cancer Research UK okay with you?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Be interesting to see how many people join the Labour Party now.
    Bigger question might be which one will people join. The moderate labour lot will have their heads in their hands as there is no realistic prospect of a leadership challenge to Corbyn now. So they will have to split if they want to do anything about it. Should be interesting.
    Labour at the moment are cock-a-hoop, having done quite well. In blue Hants my local Labour candidate did much better than expected. But they couldn't retain Stoke South, for example. When the haze lifts and the recriminations set in, I think Labour will have more questions than answers, and maybe JC won't be a strong as he appears.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    That plan worked then Stevo.

The country is in a right mess now and it's all the tories fault.

But you would expect me to say that.
    Frank, I don't know how to break it to you, but Labour lost. JC gave it his best shot by promising free stuff to everyone bar the moderately well off and still came up short :wink:

The Lib Dems are still the nowhere men of politics. And the SNP lost over 1/3 of their seats.

And the icing on the Cake is that Labour are now stuck with Corbyn as they will never be able to dislodge him via a normal leader ship challenge :D Wonder if some of the moderates will have the cojones to split now?

That's an odd take on the reality on the ground: what is clear is that the country (well, England at least) has declared that the current (until today) directions of political and economic policy are no longer accepted. Given how suggestible people are, and how the entire media (and a lot of the labour party) have been openly hostile to Jeremy Corbyn, I'd suggest that if this is not a wake-up call that the status quo is not acceptable, then we may never get one, and -Tory policies continuing- Britain will soon look, by every measure, like a South or Central American nation. Most of those who voted Tory yesterday will be dead in 10 years, and their venal, grasping, f*ck-you view of the world will be buried with them, anyone reasonably sentient will hope.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    pliptrot wrote:
    Most of those who voted Tory yesterday will be dead in 10 years, and their venal, grasping, f*ck-you view of the world will be buried with them, anyone reasonably sentient will hope.

That's fairly unlikely unless you are expecting nuclear war! I think data shows that of the population as a whole, the average Tory is a poorly educated worker and even lung cancer isn't killing those at the rate it once did.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • No majority is better than a bad majority

"No government is better than a bad government" (courtesy of the Rochdale Herald - which may or may not be a real publication, but the slogan made me laugh.)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,141
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    we can put Jeremy Corbyn in charge of the Labour party, consigning Labour to electoral oblivion for quite some time.

Does two years count?
    Just think, if a moderate like Chukka or Miliband D were leading Labour, we would probably have a Labour PM this morning. But they didn't and they lost. Still the best £3 I ever spent - and the vslue for money continues as Corbyn is still leading labour for the foreseeable future 8)

You know that's wrong.

If we had a moderate Labour leader, there would not have been an election now, and we would still have Theresa May as Prime Minister in a much stronger position.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Not just that. Sturgeon precipitated some of this with Indyref. May saw an opportunity to do some other things. Indyref actually protected the Tories a bit too.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Does two years count?

You know that's wrong.

If we had a moderate Labour leader, there would not have been an election now, and we would still have Theresa May as Prime Minister in a much stronger position.

Or if a decent Labour leader had been campaigning for Remain, we might still have Cameron.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    edited June 2017
    I see stevo going the same way as May, both will try and make the best of a dick up by spinning it as a faux victory before retiring to the back benches
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    The country is lucky Corbyn didn't have enough votes to create a meaningful coalition. All the pay rises and handouts wouldn't have been sustainable.

A couple of big mistakes (dementia tax, no show in debates, no panache) and unfortunate events lost the May campaign momentum.

So I guess old Labour are stuck in the slow lane for the foreseeable future.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The lack of willingness of people to make an un-caveated bet with me on the result - despite all the bluster on here - speaks volumes :)
    £50 to a charity of your choice against a Conservative majority win.
    Happy?
    That'll do ta. Yours plus mamba's makes the amount I'd originally offered.
    Cancer Research UK okay with you?

... perhaps the conditions of the bet have been "clarified" lol !
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Rolf F wrote:
    pliptrot wrote:
    Most of those who voted Tory yesterday will be dead in 10 years, and their venal, grasping, f*ck-you view of the world will be buried with them, anyone reasonably sentient will hope.

That's fairly unlikely unless you are expecting nuclear war! I think data shows that of the population as a whole, the average Tory is a poorly educated worker and even lung cancer isn't killing those at the rate it once did.

No argument with you on your assessment there, but it is worth nothing that those who have been thrown over the side by the current laissez-faire capitalist approach to the world are predominantly young, and are increasingly clamoring for fundamental change. There is enough money in the world to give everyone a dignified decent life: the system is so rigged that fewer and fewer get a chance at this. Odd that the magical money tree bears rich fruit when bankers' incompetence and stupidity drops them (and us) in hot water, but when a nurse wonders why her salary hasn't changed in 8 years (when her cost of living has increased by a double digit %) she is told that same tree no longer exists. The bankers and their corrupt acolytes, of course, moved it to a new plot offshore.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bahahahahahahaha

Stevo you mug.
    Says the man who backs a party with 12 seats currently. Not lefties, but definitely losers :) You have to admire the Lib Dems' consistency on that front.

Mate, you set this thread up to gloat about joining labour so you could vote Corbyn in order to "lead Labour into the electoral wilerness".

Their share increased massively at the expense of the Tories under Corbyn and he prevented the Tories having a majority.
  • kingstongraham
    FocusZing wrote:
    The country is lucky Corbyn didn't have enough votes to create a meaningful coalition. All the pay rises and handouts wouldn't have been sustainable.

A couple of big mistakes (dementia tax, no show in debates, no panache) and unfortunate events lost the May campaign momentum.

Snap poll says 72% of 18-24 year olds voted this time, against 43% in 2015. If the Conservatives treat this as just a blip, and only down to presentational mistakes or not pandering to their core vote enough they'll be in trouble.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    FocusZing wrote:

Snap poll says 72% of 18-24 year olds voted this time, against 43% in 2015. If the Conservatives treat this as just a blip, and only down to presentational mistakes or not pandering to their core vote enough they'll be in trouble.

Depends if those 18-24 year olds keep voting doesn't it?

The tories might fancy their chances of riding this out, Corbyn has done fantastically well compared to what was expected...and is still no closer to number 10. Meanwhile the Tories can form a coalition with the DUP, the anti abortion, pro brexit and climate change denying party...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • bianchimoon
    edited June 2017
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bahahahahahahaha

Stevo you mug.
    Says the man who backs a party with 12 seats currently. Not lefties, but definitely losers :) You have to admire the Lib Dems' consistency on that front.

Mate, you set this thread up to gloat about joining labour so you could vote Corbyn in order to "lead Labour into the electoral wilerness".

Their share increased massively at the expense of the Tories under Corbyn and he prevented the Tories having a majority.
    ^ this, the thread was set up however tongue in cheek with the hope of a 'one party state' instead we got a balancing of the political scales :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • FocusZing
    Yes, that's a great that a younger demographic are getting involved. Tuition fees, zero hours, disparity of wealth, house prices, EU. The passion of Corbyn and campaign.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Jez mon wrote:
    More like "depends if those 18-24 year olds grow up".

It was the free lunch wot won it.
  • bianchimoon
    well at least it's forked up her plan of bringing fox hunting back (legally)
  • bianchimoon
    bompington wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

patronising
  • FocusZing
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bahahahahahahaha

Stevo you mug.

^ this, the thread was set up however tongue in cheek with the hope of a 'one party state' instead we got a balancing of the political scales :wink:

A bit of banter. Everyone in reality knows competition is very important for the development of society. Ask the far left, Ahh!?
  • kingstongraham
    Jez mon wrote:
    Corbyn has done fantastically well compared to what was expected...and is still no closer to number 10.

He isn't in number 10, but are you telling me you think his odds on ever being PM are no higher today than they were before?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

patronising
    I'm a teacher, it's my job to call out immaturity when I see it ;-)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,735
    bompington wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

patronising
    No, just wrong. Labour lost. The free lunch offer reduced the scale of their loss.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 59,735
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Bahahahahahahaha

Stevo you mug.

Is Corbyn in power? Nope, he lost.

As for political wilderness, that's now the preserve of your lot I think.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstongraham
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

patronising
    No, just wrong. Labour lost. The free lunch offer reduced the scale of their loss.

Everyone lost. Quite an impressive achievement.

Only one party has forward momentum and a leader secure in his job...