Giro Stage 10 - spoilers

Comments

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Step away from the crack pipe FF. You're looking more and more one-eyed by the day.

If you think that no rider ever helps any rider from another team it makes me wonder if you've ever actually watched a race or just spend the time knocking one out over a signed photo of Bertie.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RonB wrote:

Although I disagree with the penalty:
    I dont like that he got a wheel from Orica but that is f*cking bs to give him a 2min penalty.

Well I know you guys like history books but I will be subbing 2mins from Porte's time in the final GC.

Dave saying: No one was trying to gain an unfair advantage

Is completely false. If a Sky rider had been standing beside Old Clarke then Porte would have got the wheel from the Sky rider and there would be no penalty. He took the rider from Saucy Simon because he was closest and thus would enable him to get back on the bike quicker and thus finish the race with less of a deficit and thus gain an advantage.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sjmclean wrote:
    He took his helmet off, he shouldn't lose time, he should be removed from the race completely.

How about you have a dig at Graham Watson. If he hadn't of snapped the photo then there would be no 2 min penalty.

It's got F.A to do with Graham Watson, it required discretion from the judges. I like how you always dodge things when people have you with facts.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    So tomorrow's start of Stage 11 and the riders have agreed to a sit down strike that will continue till the UCI Idiots join the Real World.
    With the promise to delay the start to bugger all the timing arrangements of the organisation.

We have had these bad decisions in the TDF where the UCI officials seem obliged to respect the organisers wishes.
    Maybe so that they get invited back but we have been as sick with their decisions before and we are still here.

Failure to do the above will show what sportsmanship there is in Pro Cycle Racing.

Then you could throw your toys out of the pram with some justification about the whole and complete Pro Cycling baggage.
    So lets see tomorrow before making rash decisions.

The repercussions of this Rigid Ruling will affect World Championships were Countrymen help a Trade Team mate, like the Countrymen helping each other Today.
    Time for Cookson to earn his pay.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    edited May 2015
  • frenchfighter
    But Frenchie, the rules state that it's a DQ for removing your helmet

That would be pretty stupid. It would also mean the DQ of Froome who has done it before.

In any case, please link me the doc so I can see this rule.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    RichN95 wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Frenchie, amazed you haven't been kicked off this forum.
    If that happened a lot of very regular posters who frequently disagree with him, such as me, would kick up a monstrous fuss. People need to stop taking him so seriously.

That's hard when you ve met him and know that he is deadly serious though Rich...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    No surprise its helps an Italian in the Giro, on a team that should not longer exist.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • frenchfighter
    sjmclean wrote:
    It's got F.A to do with Graham Watson

F.A = F*cking everything? I agree. They didn't see it in person. They say the photo and thus gave him the penalty.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous

That would be pretty stupid. It would also mean the DQ of Froome who has done it before.

But froome isn't here racing, so its irrelevant I'd put a tenner on every rider having done it at some point. That's what were saying it would be madness to remove him, as it is to doc Porte.
  • frenchfighter
    History lesson

25 July 1919, Valenciennes, France

...his front fork had been snapped in two...The race rules forbade outside assistance...he allowed a seven-year-old boy to work the bellow...the race marshal who policed the operation imposed a 10-minute time penalty

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2007/j ... g.features
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    sjmclean wrote:
    It's got F.A to do with Graham Watson

F.A = F*cking everything? I agree. They didn't see it in person. They say the photo and thus gave him the penalty.

F*ck All. For a city boy your English is terrible.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    If that happened a lot of very regular posters who frequently disagree with him, such as me, would kick up a monstrous fuss. People need to stop taking him so seriously.

That's hard when you ve met him and know that he is deadly serious though Rich...
    I don't care if he's serious. It's just his opinion and it's often daft. I just see him as a forum character. It's just the internet.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    RichN95 wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:
    This.
    They ought to just see the funny side of him.
    There's a lot to see.
    On cycling, not so much.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    “It just goes to show you that you can either live by the letter of the law or the spirit of the law,” Brailsford said, talking calmly as he headed for his team car.

“Most people would accept that that was one of the most interesting, instinctive moments of fair play we’ve seen in sport for a long time, particularly in our sport, which has been a bit blighted by issues of unfair play.

“However, there’s a lesson in there, isn’t there? That [if] it’s the letter of the law rather than the spirit of the law then that’s that. We’ll keep fighting and hope we don’t get another puncture and just take it on the chin, I guess.”

--

My man, true champion as always:
    “I’m sorry for Richie,” Contador said after he heard the news. “At points like that in a race you’re going flat out, your heart-rate is really high, and you only think about losing as little time as possible, not the rules.”

Contador had already expressed sympathy for Porte even before news of the two-minute penalty broke, saying about the initial 47 second time loss because of the puncture that “there’s never an easy day and like Richie Porte’s situation today things can go wrong.”

“It’s something we repeat every time but it’s true that you can have a puncture or a crash on every stage. I’ve had my bad moment and now Richie had his bad moment today”.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    I will be in Milan for the finale. Shall I stage a dirty protest on the podium? Maybe I'll storm the stage dressed as a Toberlone shouting 'Justice for the Hobart One'.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    a daft question maybe, but so why didnt the Sky rider on the scene give his wheel to Porte? as theres one in the picture at least and the reports say a group of 4 of them + Michael Matthews formed to then try to pull the gap back to the main group, so theres enough

if Simon Clarke isnt there, what were the Sky riders going to do ?

not saying the penalty is justified,its just I dont get the confusion the Team Sky riders had in not helping the team leader straight away, were they too busy trying to contact the team car and getting messages about not being allowed through or something.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    I will be in Milan for the finale. Shall I stage a dirty protest on the podium? Maybe I'll storm the stage dressed as a Toberlone shouting 'Justice for the Hobart One'.

Definition:Toberlone
    An extremely large line of cocaine
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ben@31 wrote:
    IMG_5765.0.JPG

"Some people stand in the darkness afraid to step into the light. Some people need to help somebody when the edge of surrender’s in sight.. Don’t you worry! It's gonna be alright ‘cause I’m always ready, I won’t let you out of my sight!"

#FreePorte
    Correlation is not causation.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Having briefly seen the rule on twitter just now.....where does it leave handing someone a bottle? Isn't that assistance?

Remember seeing that in the break on Sunday I think it was.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    History lesson

...his front fork had been snapped in two...The race rules forbade outside assistance...he allowed a seven-year-old boy to work the bellow...the race marshal who policed the operation imposed a 10-minute time penalty

About as much relevance today as my Mum.

It's not 1919 anymore.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Any ideas why the commissaires stopped the race convoy when Porte punctured? Is there a rule about that too?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    durhamwasp wrote:

Exact. Frenchie's sound. He found fields of horses to cheer me up.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2015
    History lesson

Good point. We should also now rehold the General Election so that women can't vote this time.

(Don't you dare history pedants)
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    coppi_bartali.jpg
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Dave saying: No one was trying to gain an unfair advantage

Is completely false. If a Sky rider had been standing beside Old Clarke then Porte would have got the wheel from the Sky rider and there would be no penalty. He took the rider from Saucy Simon because he was closest and thus would enable him to get back on the bike quicker and thus finish the race with less of a deficit and thus gain an advantage.
    Like the Sky rider in the foreground of this photo perhaps? CFYheuiW8AAcP-S.jpg:large
    He maybe saved all of a few seconds by getting a wheel from Clarke, anyone looking at the incident with the slightest bit of common sense would have dismissed it immediately, especially considering he still finished 40s down.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

Lots of rules get overlooked;
    14bis. Use of sidewalks/pavements, paths or cycle paths that do not form part of the course
    rider: 200 and/or elimination

16. Passing a level crossing which is already down - eliminated

3.3. Rider taking off the mandatory helmet during the race
    disqualified and 100
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Food, drink, spanners or accessories are ok: https://twitter.com/inrng/status/600744612156841986
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

Lots of rules get overlooked;
    14bis. Use of sidewalks/pavements, paths or cycle paths that do not form part of the course
    rider: 200 and/or elimination

16. Passing a level crossing which is already down - eliminated

3.3. Rider taking off the mandatory helmet during the race
    disqualified and 100
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/Rulesandregulation/16/26/68/12-DIS-20150101-E_English.pdf

Top of page 12, unequivocal. I agree it would be absolutely ridiculous but then so was the decision today and if you arguing that rules are rules then Contador shouldn't be in the race. You can't only agree with the rules that suit you.

Other rules that frequently get flounced with nothing happening include rain capes not being transparent / being similar in appearance to race jerseys and numbers being visible at all times (how often does that happen on wet days?).