Giro Stage 10 - spoilers

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    sjmclean wrote:
    That's the race over for me. Ruined. Farce. This sport is nonsense.
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm out for this race guys, only thing we can do is stop watching such a farce

See you for the Dolphin

I feel that way too. And yes I know that Porte is MY MAN, but I'd be as p'eed off if it had been a decision against Contador or Aru because it ruins the racing and I want to watch the racing. It's why doping is rubbish, any result that is decided in rule books and jury decisions and whatnot goes against the spirit of sport for me.

#FreePorte

This.
    Way to go in promoting the sport UCI.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    IC. wrote:
    Cycling finally had its chance to shine

A chance to show all over the Internet and the media that it has changed, that omerta has been replaced by class, good sportsmanship and fairness

One image to show why people should watch this sport. An image to show potential sponsors that cycling is a good and fair sport

And what does the UCI do when this once in a lifetime chance drops in its lap?

It's fines the pair involved and ruins at least one's chance to realise a grand tour ambition

Idiots

^This +1000
    Correlation is not causation.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Seriously, to the many of you, it is annoying but you can't pick and choose your rules.

Otherwise, you will have to agree with me, majority of non-English speaking riders and majority of real cycling fans that Contador won the Giro 2011 and Tour 2010.

Great photo's.

But your an utter idiot.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Frenchie you are the worst possible person on the forum to speak about following rukes
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • markwb79
    So many thoughts, I accept that rules are rules and this should have been questioned when the rules were written and sent to the teams. Just like we read every terms and conditions we all get.

First was, sack it off and save the team for the tour.

Now, accept the penalty and provide the evidence of Contador taking his helmet off. Then the 2mins will be reversed and all is back to normal.

But now I think there has been such a backlash that by the morning they will have taken the punishment back.

Surely the Italian's aren't that corrupt....
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • markwb79
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good sportsmanship between competitors is all very nice but rules must be obeyed or the sports integrity would be damaged.

We can now look forward to a fair and honest fight between a rider supported by a team that should have been banned last month against a rider supported by a teammate who will be banned next month.

Is there a best post of the year award? Very levelled analysis of the situation.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • ddraver
    sjmclean wrote:
    That's the race over for me. Ruined. Farce. This sport is nonsense.
    ddraver wrote:
    I'm out for this race guys, only thing we can do is stop watching such a farce

See you for the Dolphin

I feel that way too. And yes I know that Porte is MY MAN, but I'd be as p'eed off if it had been a decision against Contador or Aru because it ruins the racing and I want to watch the racing. It's why doping is rubbish, any result that is decided in rule books and jury decisions and whatnot goes against the spirit of sport for me.

#FreePorte

This.
    Way to go in promoting the sport UCI.

This is going to kill my PTP Year stone dead too...so the UCI have ruined TWO GCs today!!!!
    - @ddraver
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    I get a bit pissed as well when I realise that Tuna Taster FC deliberately played with their B-team last sunday against their local mates from Tekkers United making our team 2nd instead of 1st in the league..

If you get what I mean..
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It wasn't just giving him a wheel. It was also pacing him back. It is not really acceptable that Orica do that for Sky - they would probably do it for no other team.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    I know I always go on about its not how you win that matters, but winning like this is not what I meant, I always meant it in relation to road tactics, not the haphazard implementation of the rule book by some petty sovereign.

A win for either Contador or Aru in this situation must surely be the total opposite of panache.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Frenchie, amazed you haven't been kicked off this forum. You have surely broken a UCI rule with your embarrassing comments.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    FF does live in a twisted world of his own logic where he thinks he speaks the one true opinion, but that's why no one takes him seriously.

As for today, never mind. If you need any specific rider to be in with a shot in order to enjoy a race then tough. There will be plenty to watch regardless. Things happen.

If the riders care they can swap wheels for a moment at the start to make a point and equal the 2 minute penalties. If not, it doesn't matter.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited May 2015
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Controversial. Wonder how the other favourites feel about a different team assisting?
    It's not controversial - the orica rider had nothing to lose and a friend to gain by doing it.

Christ, do people not get cycling sometimes?

The Italians would do the same for one another for a Giro favourite anyway.

Had to laugh. Cut to an hour later and the controversial has been penalised
    the Inner Ring ‏@inrng 2m2 minutes ago

Richie Porte gets a two minute time penalty says @cyclingpro #giro
  • ddraver
    edited May 2015
    It wasn't just giving him a wheel. It was also pacing him back. It is not really acceptable that Orica do that for Sky - they would probably do it for no other team.

It's hard not to call that anything else but flat out bullshit! !

National teams have colluded for As long as cycling has existed. Bertie effectivly rides the Vuelta with 3 teams most years. ...
    - @ddraver
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    What an absolute p*ss take, it just makes the UCI even more of a laughing stock.
  • frenchfighter
    I know I always go on about its not how you win that matters, but winning like this is not what I meant, I always meant it in relation to road tactics, not the haphazard implementation of the rule book by some petty sovereign.

A win for either Contador or Aru in this situation must surely be the total opposite of panache.

People should stop it with the hating on Contador and Aru. They both had more panache before they turned 16 then Porte will acquire in his entire life.

This is a good example to see what Porte is made of and what sort of attitude he has. Hopefully he gives his fans something to shout about, something to put fire in their hearts. Hopefully it will tell Porte that he needs to ride like a true champion rather than a defensive molly cuddled, marginal gains athlete.

You can always judge a person by how they reacts when they is down.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

People should stop it with the hating on Contador and Aru. They both had more panache before they turned 16 then Porte will acquire in his entire life.

This is a good example to see what Porte is made of and what sort of attitude he has. Hopefully he gives his fans something to shout about, something to put fire in their hearts. Hopefully it will tell Porte that he needs to ride like a true champion rather than a defensive molly cuddled, marginal gains athlete.

How we getting on with Contador's DQ for removing his helmet the other day?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    4331220083_a21bf46a62_o.jpg

Is there a UCI rule against Merckx drafting behind a horse?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • frenchfighter
    sjmclean wrote:
    I assume you want Bert Dq'd for taking his helmet off?

Who is Bert? Your mate from Glasgow? If you mean Contador, a la Pistelero, then why should he got docked any time - you should only get docked time if you engage in something that has prevented you from losing time.

There are all sorts of fines given by the jury after each race (you can see them in the official results sheet). Such as disrespecting the commissaries or bringing a bad image to the sport after the finish line.

eg/. stage 9:

Art. 12.1.040 / 11.1.2
    Slancio da vettura, moto, corridore – Prove a tappe.
    Rétropoussée sur voiture, moto, coureur – Epreuve par étapes.
    Pushing off against car, motorbike, rider – Stage races.
    50 CHF di ammenda, 5 punti di penalizzazione nella classifica a punti e 10” per ogni infrazione
    50 CHF d’amende, 5 points de pénalisation au classement par points et 10” pour chaque infraction
    50 CHF fine, 5 penalty points in the points classification and 10” penalty for each breach
    Corridore / Coureur / Rider
    74 FISCHER Murilo, BRA19790616, FDJ
    Art. 12.1.040 / 24
    Rifornimento irregolare.
    Ravitaillement irrégulier.
    Non-regulation supply of refreshments.
    50 CHF di ammenda / d’amende / fine
    88 REICHENBACH Sebastien, SUI19890528, IAM Cycling
    200 CHF di ammenda per l’infrazione di cui sopra / d’amende pour l’infraction ci-dessus / fine for the above-mentioned breach
    Direttori Sportivi / Directeurs Sportifs / Sport Directors
    BERTOGLIATI Rubens, SUI19790509, IAM Cycling
    GARCIA ACOSTA Jose, ESP19720804, Movistar
    WADECKI Piotr, POL19730211, CCC Sprandi Polkowice
    Art. 12.1.040 / 37bis
    Assistenza meccanica, rifornimento e comportamento di un DS e/o di un corridore che danneggiano l’immagine del ciclismo.
    Aide mécanique, ravitaillement et comportement d’un directeur sportif et/ou d’un coureur portant atteinte à l’image du cyclisme.
    Mechanical assistance, refreshments and behaviour of a Sport Director and/or a rider that damage the image of cycling.
    100 CHF di ammenda / d’amende / fine
    187 TJALLINGII Maarten, NED19771105, Lotto NL-Jumbo
    100 CHF di ammenda per l’infrazione di cui sopra / d’amende pour l’infraction ci-dessus / fine for the above-mentioned breach
    Direttore Sportivo / Directeur Sportif / Sport Director
    BOVEN Jan, NED19720228, Lotto NL-Jumbo
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    edited May 2015

How about taking a blow on an astham pump mid race?

Could just give him a 50 CHF fine?

Art. 12.1.040/7
    Presa o consegna irregolare di un capo di abbigliamento.
    Prise ou remise irrégulière d’un vêtement.
    Putting on or taking off a garment against regulations.
    18 TVITCOV Serghei, ROU19881229, Androni-Giocattoli
    200 CHF di ammenda per l’infrazione di cui sopra / d’amende pour l’infraction ci-dessus / fine for the above-mentioned breach
    SAVIO Gianni, ITA19480416, Androni-Giocattoli
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    ben@31 wrote:
    4331220083_a21bf46a62_o.jpg

Is there a UCI rule against Merckx drafting behind a horse?

May I steal this...?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sjmclean wrote:
    I assume you want Bert Dq'd for taking his helmet off?

Who is Bert? Your mate from Glasgow? If you mean Contador, a la Pistelero, then why should he got docked any time - you should only get docked time if you engage in something that has prevented you from losing time.

There are all sorts of fines given by the jury after each race (you can see them in the official results sheet). Such as disrespecting the commissaries or bringing a bad image to the sport after the finish line.

He's my drug addict friend from Madrid.

He took his helmet off, he shouldn't lose time, he should be removed from the race completely.

Also I've heard Matt Stephens call him bert, and he has you know met him.
  • above_the_cows

I'm not hating on Conatdor or Aru, simply saying that winning because your rival has been the victim of some haphazard rule application is not exactly a 'sporting' way to win.
  • frenchfighter
    sjmclean wrote:
    He took his helmet off, he shouldn't lose time, he should be removed from the race completely.

How about you have a dig at Graham Watson. If he hadn't of snapped the photo then there would be no 2 min penalty.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810

How about taking a blow on an astham pump mid race?

Could just give him a 50 CHF fine?

Art. 12.1.040/7
    Presa o consegna irregolare di un capo di abbigliamento.
    Prise ou remise irrégulière d’un vêtement.
    Putting on or taking off a garment against regulations.
    18 TVITCOV Serghei, ROU19881229, Androni-Giocattoli
    SAVIO Gianni, ITA19480416, Androni-Giocattoli

But Frenchie, the rules state that it's a DQ for removing your helmet, and, as you said above, thems the rules!

You can't have it both ways ;)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    edited May 2015
    Seriously, to the many of you, it is annoying but you can't pick and choose your rules.

Otherwise, you will have to agree with me, majority of non-English speaking riders and majority of real cycling fans that Contador won the Giro 2011 and Tour 2010.

That's Iain's irony meter fuxxored again.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    IMG_5765.0.JPG
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ddraver
    edited May 2015
    list of rules

If you re a sudden stickler for the rules, you should know that the penalty for removing a helmet is disqualification

Bertie removed his helmet, therefore, by your own reasoning, he should have been instantly disqualified. You have no option but to petition the UCI to get this massive oversight overturned and Bertie on the first plane home to Spain

edit - or what everyone else said
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    durhamwasp wrote:
    Frenchie, amazed you haven't been kicked off this forum.
    If that happened a lot of very regular posters who frequently disagree with him, such as me, would kick up a monstrous fuss. People need to stop taking him so seriously.
    Twitter: @RichN95