Giro Stage 10 - spoilers

Comments

• Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    k-dog wrote:
    Are you still allowed to work together in a break or is every stage a TTT now?

good point.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    edited May 2015
    The only slight silver glimmer in this dark cloud is that everyone with any knowledge of cycling on twitter is united that this is utterly ridiculous (apart from one man who is just contrary for the sake of it). Genuinely never seen that before...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    So those supposed betting syndicates and race fixing shenanigans in Italy... I always thought that was a load of crap myself.

:roll:

Why on Earth would you think that? It's not just Italy either.

Only problem is, I thought it was the UCI applying the rule in this instance?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Someone has found this from earlier in the race:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman
    I crashed in the final downhill because of a puncture. Had to wait for 10min to get another front wheel. Thx @TeamSky for the help #fairplay

https://twitter.com/GianniMeersman/stat ... 0256460800

That's brilliant. So they can't even be consistent with in the same race!! (Or was this Cali?)

It is pretty simple. They didn't see him do it. If there was a photo brought to their attention they would have fined him.

They fine and penalize riders daily.

The comment DD made was about consistency and yet you disagree.........
    ..... by highlighting it's a rule that can only be enforced selectively.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Gweeds wrote:
    That tweet has been out there for 8 days. So they'll obviously dock him 2 mins now. Quite why you think they need a photo when someone has admitted it is beyond me.

1. he is not even in the race anymore
    2. you can dock someone on the day but not a week later
    3. you need a photo as a photo doesn't lie but people can say whatever the f*ck they like

Deal with it.

Get some help. Soon.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    The_Boy wrote:
    So those supposed betting syndicates and race fixing shenanigans in Italy... I always thought that was a load of crap myself.

:roll:

Why on Earth would you think that? It's not just Italy either.

Only problem is, I thought it was the UCI applying the rule in this instance?

The UCI appoint a race jury of commissaires, one of whom is the chief commissaire. I imagine the lead on this particular jury is ignoring all calls with a +41 prefix tonight.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ddraver wrote:
    The only slight silver glimmer in this dark cloud is that everyone with any knowledge of cycling on twitter is united that this is utterly ridiculous (apart from one man who is just contrary for the sake of it). Genuinely never seen that before...

Well there's Joe Papp calling for an application of the rules proving once and for all that there's nothing like a born again convert when it comes to dogmatic extremism.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Pross wrote:
    Probably because they didn't think it would ever be applied unless there was some genuine attempt at cheating involved or, more likely, they never even knew it was there - have you seen the length of the UCI regulation book?

As for Froome, I suspect a 20 second penalty was seen as a good result considering the time he'd have lost. Arguably it was a far worse offence and should have been penalised more harshly than Porte today.

Yeah I just read the time docking section. It's pretty small and straightforward. It's not cheating - that is a 10min penalty.
    Pross wrote:
    As for Froome, I suspect a 20 second penalty was seen as a good result considering the time he'd have lost. Arguably it was a far worse offence and should have been penalised more harshly than Porte today.

Porte could easily have lost an additional 30 secs if he had waited for a teammate. One of them arrives later when the wheel is already on. You can also see from the replay that the team start dropping off the back of the peloton quite a bit later. Ie/. they were not at his side and doing their job properly. If they had, as soon as Porte says he has punctured, the teammate right next to him stops at the same time and gives him the wheel or bike immediately.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    According to Mauro Vegni the UCI commissaire
    He's not the UCI commissaire - he's the Giro boss (equivalent to Prudhomme at the Tour)

Ah OK, that actually makes it worse.

Vegni didn't give the initial penalty.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/vegni-r ... porte-case

--

@SimoClarke 44m44 minutes ago
    Feeling sad for @richie_porte. Tried to help a friend as most would. I'm sorry about the outcome of all this!

@hornerakg 49m49 minutes ago
    Don't worry, no wheels were exchanged in the making of this photo... ;)@BillyDemong @richie_porte @giroditalia
    CFZN8A3UUAA7TDp.jpg
    @f_cancellara 13m13 minutes ago
    this is big sportsmanship i guess guess.felt sorry for @richie_porte and the penalty he got.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited May 2015
    Pross wrote:
    Probably because they didn't think it would ever be applied unless there was some genuine attempt at cheating involved or, more likely, they never even knew it was there - have you seen the length of the UCI regulation book?

Yeah I just read the time docking section. It's pretty small and straightforward. It's not cheating - that is a 10min penalty.
    Pross wrote:

Porte could easily have lost an additional 30 secs if he had waited for a teammate. One of them arrives later when the wheel is already on. You can also see from the replay that the team start dropping off the back of the peloton quite a bit later. Ie/. they were not at his side and doing their job properly. If they had, as soon as Porte says he has punctured, the teammate right next to him stops at the same time and gives him the wheel or bike immediately.
    But I think there was a teammate right next to him in the photo.
  • frenchfighter
    Next time a rider gets done for this then I expect a similar outpouring of support on the forum and on twitter. Otherwise you are just choosing who the rules can be applied to, Animal Farm style.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Dear God,

If you have a sense of humour could you please give Contador a series of mechanicals tomorrow that cost him about 4 minutes.

Thanks.
  • gweeds
    Next time a rider gets done for this then I expect a similar outpouring of support on the forum and on twitter. Otherwise you are just choosing who the rules can be applied to, Animal Farm style.

Like you've done with Contador and the helmet.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729

Stop bringing Contador into everything.

albertos-dog.jpg?w=250
  • frenchfighter
    Plus, all this talk about wonderful sportsmanship etc. It is worth noting that he likely only did it because he is his friend. Doubt he would have done it if Contador or Aru had been in the exact same situation. Hundreds of examples of GC riders out the back and riders from other teams riding past them.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

Rules is rules.

Remind us how many GTs Contador has won, according to the explicit rules of the UCI?

Thanks.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If it had been Contador or Aru then I would have said the same. (As would you). I want to see a good race won by the best rider. Not some farce decided by jobsworths.

I have had a lot of experience with sporting officials who think that they are the most important.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gweeds
    Your hard-on for Contador precludes you from seeing any sense. Deal with it.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    If it had been Contador or Aru then I would have said the same. (As would you). I want to see a good race won by the best rider. Not some farce decided by jobsworths.

I have had a lot of experience with sporting officials who think that they are the most important.

Exactly. Just hope Bert and Fab et al stop just before the line tomorrow and wait for 2 minutes.

Imagine that and how good it would be for the sport.
  • RichN95.
    Plus, all this talk about wonderful sportsmanship etc. It is worth noting that he likely only did it because he is his friend. Doubt he would have done it if Contador or Aru had been in the exact same situation. Hundreds of examples of GC riders out the back and riders from other teams riding past them.
    Similarly Tiralongo only paced Contador to victory at the 2012 Vuelta because he was his friend. I doubt he would have done that for Rodriguez.
  • RichN95.
    Similarly Tiralongo only paced Contador to victory at the 2012 Vuelta because he was his friend. I doubt he would have done that for Rodriguez.
  • talius
    talius Posts: 282
    Would be preferable if this thread was about cycling, rather than about FF. But I appreciate he's hard to ignore.
    Merckx EMX 5
    Ribble 7005 Audax / Campag Centaur

RIP - Scott Speedster S10
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:

Already done that *angry*
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good sportsmanship between competitors is all very nice but rules must be obeyed or the sports integrity would be damaged.

There's a lot of this 'follow the rules' chat - what's the rule?

I can't find it even when I'm pointed at it.

All they talk about is 'unfair assistance' which could mean bloody anything.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Has no one stopped to think what this does to Simon Clarke's GC chances? I mean, he's the only one punished today who's actually worn Pink in this Giro.

Seriously though, I've read through 17 pages of talk about the rule being enforced, but no one's asked why it's there in the first place?

I can't think of a decent reason, other than the fact wheel suppliers pay money to supply Team Sky and Orica, but otherwise it is a highly inconsistent way of enforcing a rule that no one knew about and no one really knows why it exists...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Has no one stopped to think what this does to Simon Clarke's GC chances? I mean, he's the only one punished today who's actually worn Pink in this Giro.

Seriously though, I've read through 17 pages of talk about the rule being enforced, but no one's asked why it's there in the first place?

I can't think of a decent reason, other than the fact wheel suppliers pay money to supply Team Sky and Orica, but otherwise it is a highly inconsistent way of enforcing a rule that no one knew about and no one really knows why it exists...

To try to stop unfair collaboration between teams.

Clearly when someone has had a mechanical it's a bit different to riding off into the sunset.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535

It's there for a good reason - to prevent riders and teams recruiting unfair help across teams. This was just a very, very poor example of it in action.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    Good sportsmanship between competitors is all very nice but rules must be obeyed or the sports integrity would be damaged.

Exactly Mr Chasey. It allows for an ad hoc application of the 'rules' as and when anyone so as feels like it.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Detention.

Write out 100 times - "I will consider the whole post so that I may appreciate the sarcasm"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Meh, point still stands.

What's the rule, verbatim?