Giro Stage 10 - spoilers

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:
    I will be in Milan for the finale. Shall I stage a dirty protest on the podium? Maybe I'll storm the stage dressed as a Toberlone shouting 'Justice for the Hobart One'.

If you do this I'll buy you a crate of champagne!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Someone has found this from earlier in the race:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman
    I crashed in the final downhill because of a puncture. Had to wait for 10min to get another front wheel. Thx @TeamSky for the help #fairplay

https://twitter.com/GianniMeersman/stat ... 0256460800
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    According to Mauro Vegni the UCI commissaire: "...they’ll realise that the rule had to be applied.”*

*Because I've already put a down payment on that conservatory and promised my wife that new car.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    edited May 2015
    My favourite bit of the UCI rules:
    17. Cheating, attempted cheating, collusion between riders of different teams
    Each rider involved:
    17.1 One-Day Race 200 + elimination
    17.2 Stage Race 200 + 10’ penalty + elimination for offence during last stage or for 2nd offence

Edit: oops, totally misread that as 10s penalty not 10mins! Makes a bit more sense now... :oops:
  • RichN95.
    According to Mauro Vegni the UCI commissaire
    He's not the UCI commissaire - he's the Giro boss (equivalent to Prudhomme at the Tour)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    frenchie covering himself in glory again.

Cycling is the loser here on every level.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Mind-bogglingly moronic.
  • RichN95.
    adr82 wrote:
    Each rider involved:
    17.2 Stage Race 200 + 10’ penalty + elimination for offence during last stage or for 2nd offence

Edit: oops, totally misread that as 10s penalty not 10mins! Makes a bit more sense now... :oops:
    I'm old enough to remember when Gert Jan Theunisse got a ten minute penalty at the Tour for testing positive for testosterone.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    RichN95 wrote:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman
    I crashed in the final downhill because of a puncture. Had to wait for 10min to get another front wheel. Thx @TeamSky for the help #fairplay

Mmmmm. That makes things interesting.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    RichN95 wrote:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman

That's brilliant. So they can't even be consistent with in the same race!! (Or was this Cali?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    adr82 wrote:
    Each rider involved:

Yes, but to be fair when was a rider last docked 10 minutes for collusion? It happens all the time, you help me gain time on the GC and I'll let you take the stage.
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman

That's brilliant. So they can't even be consistent with in the same race!! (Or was this Cali?)

Dock Porte 2 more minutes to be safe :wink:
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    According to Mauro Vegni the UCI commissaire
    He's not the UCI commissaire - he's the Giro boss (equivalent to Prudhomme at the Tour)

Ah OK, that actually makes it worse.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'd really like to see Aru win it now.

Then fail the post-race test.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman

It is pretty simple. They didn't see him do it. If there was a photo brought to their attention they would have fined him.

They fine and penalize riders daily.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gweeds
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman

It is pretty simple. They didn't see him do it. If there was a photo brought to their attention they would have fined him.

That tweet has been out there for 8 days. So they'll obviously dock him 2 mins now. Quite why you think they need a photo when someone has admitted it is beyond me.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • gweeds
    And you're obviously happy to see 'your man' Bertie DQ'd. That was on camera after all.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman

Dock Porte 2 more minutes to be safe :wink:

tumblr_n0moiiuf6C1qaa8d1o3_500.gif
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited May 2015
    The top teams could fix this sharpish on the grounds that the referee has had a random shocker, and nobody wants to win on a technicality, apart perhaps those who feel they've lost GTs on a technicality. Anyone who hides behind 'rules are rules' has no business voting or serving on a jury.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Pross
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman

Just not all riders who break the regs. You've gone quiet on Contador's helmet infringement.
  • frenchfighter
    @Doctor_Hutch
    The big question... does @LeopoldKonig now get the motorhome?
    @Vaughters
    How do you say "bullshit" in Italian?
    @Chris_Boardman
    What a desperately bad decision by judges at Giro. Really foolish to penalise friendship & goodwill, exactly what we need to see more of
    @richardmoore73
    Re Porte - all kinds of inter-team alliances go on all the time. Should the question not have been: did he gain an unfair advantage? #giro
    @tom_dumoulin
    I hope this is fine is a belated Aprils fools joke???

Rather than all these people complaining now, why the f*ck did they not read the rule book which has been there for years and years and petition the UCI to amend this rule etc, for fear of it being applied to them.

--

"At the end of the day, the rules are rules and if I have been given a 20-second penalty then I will have to take that," Froome said.

After his illegal feed in 2013 Tour
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I know I always go on about its not how you win that matters, but winning like this is not what I meant, I always meant it in relation to road tactics, not the haphazard implementation of the rule book by some petty sovereign.

A win for either Contador or Aru in this situation must surely be the total opposite of panache.

People should stop it with the hating on Contador and Aru. They both had more panache before they turned 16 then Porte will acquire in his entire life.

This is a good example to see what Porte is made of and what sort of attitude he has. Hopefully he gives his fans something to shout about, something to put fire in their hearts. Hopefully it will tell Porte that he needs to ride like a true champion rather than a defensive molly cuddled, marginal gains athlete.

You can always judge a person by how they reacts when they is down.

Spot on that man, quite agree. You can bet Porte wont pretend he has a broken leg, drop out, and prepare for the Tour. I mean, what kind of so called cyclist would even think of pulling a stunt like that? :lol:
  • gweeds
    So. Again. You're happy for Contador to be disqualified.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Are you still allowed to work together in a break or is every stage a TTT now?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • frenchfighter
    Gweeds wrote:
    That tweet has been out there for 8 days. So they'll obviously dock him 2 mins now. Quite why you think they need a photo when someone has admitted it is beyond me.

1. he is not even in the race anymore
    2. you can dock someone on the day but not a week later
    3. you need a photo as a photo doesn't lie but people can say whatever the f*ck they like

Deal with it.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    So those supposed betting syndicates and race fixing shenanigans in Italy... I always thought that was a load of crap myself.

:roll:
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Pross wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Gianni Meersman
    @GianniMeersman

Just not all riders who break the regs. You've gone quiet on Contador's helmet infringement.

He is a parody of himself, it's great.

On the upside PTP overall yayyyyyyyyyyyy.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • frenchfighter
    Pross wrote:

Thanks for the link before. Interesting reading. Looks like the team's and riders should read it to.

I have addressed it numerous times.

I also have said this penalty shouldn't have been applied but more importantly the magnitude of that docking is too large.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Pross
    @Doctor_Hutch
    The big question... does @LeopoldKonig now get the motorhome?
    @Vaughters
    How do you say "bullshit" in Italian?
    @Chris_Boardman
    What a desperately bad decision by judges at Giro. Really foolish to penalise friendship & goodwill, exactly what we need to see more of
    @richardmoore73
    Re Porte - all kinds of inter-team alliances go on all the time. Should the question not have been: did he gain an unfair advantage? #giro
    @tom_dumoulin
    I hope this is fine is a belated Aprils fools joke???

Rather than all these people complaining now, why the f*ck did they not read the rule book which has been there for years and years and petition the UCI to amend this rule etc, for fear of it being applied to them.

--

"At the end of the day, the rules are rules and if I have been given a 20-second penalty then I will have to take that," Froome said.

After his illegal feed in 2013 Tour

Probably because they didn't think it would ever be applied unless there was some genuine attempt at cheating involved or, more likely, they never even knew it was there - have you seen the length of the UCI regulation book?

As for Froome, I suspect a 20 second penalty was seen as a good result considering the time he'd have lost. Arguably it was a far worse offence and should have been penalised more harshly than Porte today.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    k-dog wrote:
    Are you still allowed to work together in a break or is every stage a TTT now?

That doesn't really qualify as colluding though , does it? Breakaway riders work together because it is how you give yourself a chance at winning.

Perhaps a better example might have been Tiralongo pacing Bert on the stage to Fuente De?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy