Giro Stage 10 - spoilers

Comments

• ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited May 2015
    So what happens if you have a mechanical and Orica start meddling with your bike even if you didn't ask them to?

Sounds like you get penalised for someone else's actions.

Simon Clarke.... Can I book my bike in for a service? :D
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Macaloon wrote:
    Hope they can appeal overninght and some sensible discretion can be applied. He's suffered plenty. There's a Sky rider in the pic so he didn't gain much from the irregular assistance. And the UCI have just trashed their race.

Yes, it's not like he got back into the bunch. He still lost +40 seconds. If as the reports are suggesting this is a decision of the independent race commissaires and not the organisers, I can't actually imagine RCS are too happy about it either, it makes their race look like a stitch up.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Eh, Blazing. Talk of pulling out is just stupid.

Why?
    Greipel is going to do it.
    Not much point in emptying the tank on a race that is already lost.

2mins is a kick in the goolies but to pull out because of it is ridiculous. A podium is well worth it. A couple wins is well worth it.

If Contador was down 2mins you think he would pull out? Nah he would be physched to tear the hell out the others.

And what is the point of pulling out to 'save' himself for the Tour when all he would do is be Froome's puppy.

Fyi Contador is racing the Tour to win post winning the Giro.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Rules are rules. Letting him off lighter, whether it is the right thing to do morally or not, sets a precedent. They can't change it surely.
  • joelsim

Why?

2mins is a kick in the goolies but to pull out because of it is ridiculous. A podium is well worth it. A couple wins is well worth it.

If Contador was down 2mins you think he would pull out? Nah he would be physched to tear the hell out the others.

And what is the point of pulling out to 'save' himself for the Tour when all he would do is be Froome's puppy.

Froomedog's puppy?
  • frenchfighter
    ben@31 wrote:
    So what happens if you have a mechanical and Orica start meddling with your bike even if you didn't ask them to?

Clarkey.... Can I book my bike in for a service? :D

Haha yes, it sounds like a good plan. Teams should have one rider shadow the leader of other teams and as soon as they get a mech, give them a bike or a wheel. Sure way to the win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Joelsim wrote:
    Rules are rules. Letting him off lighter, whether it is the right thing to do morally or not, sets a precedent. They can't change it surely.

The problem is races override the rules/apply discretion all the time. The year Cav won green he should have been DQ'd for coming in in the autobus outside the time limit. ASO decided that the bad publicity it would get from such a decision outweighed the need to be a little gauleiter and so applied discretion.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Joelsim wrote:

Can't they? Lots of sanctions out of Paris-Roubaix this year, right?

Fine 'em 1000CHF each and be done with it.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Justin Dawkins ‏@JustinDawkins 3m3 minutes ago
    @nealrogers maybe Aru, Contador swap wheels tomorrow? That could work pretty well and easy to do. Instant 2mins for both.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,706

Why?

Konig is well ahead of him in the GC. Sky can go with him.
    I suspect they'll see how the ITT goes and take it from there.

Hell, when you are only one second ahead of Cunego in the GC, it's time to head for the bus. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

The problem is races override the rules/apply discretion all the time. The year Cav won green he should have been DQ'd for coming in in the autobus outside the time limit. ASO decided that the bad publicity it would get from such a decision outweighed the need to be a little gauleiter and so applied discretion.

And what will Movistar, BMC, Garmindale make of that? I'm not saying it's the wrong thing to do as it was simply bad luck. I just think it will set a precedent.
  • above_the_cows
    ben@31 wrote:

Haha yes, it sounds like a good plan. Teams should have one rider shadow the leader of other teams and as soon as they get a mech, give them a bike or a wheel. Sure way to the win.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • joelsim
    ben@31 wrote:

Just wait for Valverde slipping on a Tinkoff top and giving Nairo a wheel at the Tour.
  • joelsim

Hell, when you are only one second ahead of Cunego in the GC, it's time to head for the bus. :P

POTY!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Joelsim wrote:

It's a good idea to have some discretion in how you apply 'rules' to avoid career and event threatening situations like this. The rule is probably intended to address the situation where 3 riders are isolated up the road and 2 of the same nationality collude against the third in an irregular mechanical fashion. Patently not the case here. Very harsh justice.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    I need a whole field of these right now.

One of my favourites:
    1210112542x2Ppnx3-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim
    Macaloon wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

It's a good idea to have some discretion in how you apply 'rules' to avoid career and event threatening situations like this. The rule is probably intended to address the situation where 3 riders are isolated up the road and 2 of the same nationality collude against the third in an irregular mechanical fashion. Patently not the case here. Very harsh justice.

I don't disagree. It would need full buy-in from all the teams though.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    FFS - I need a new irony meter again.

Joe Papp just talked about how they need to enforce the rules.

That guy is a piece of work.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    ddraver wrote:
    Is the hammer about to come down upon Richie's cranium?
    https://twitter.com/philmaertens/status ... 4256055296

A lot of tweets saying that Bertie should be DQd for taking his helmet off on stage 7 - what was that about?!

(both would be ridiculous obviously)

He took his helmet off to remove his cap (which had the top cut off which should be a DQ offence in its own right). Obviously it would be ridiculous to DQ him for it but then if they are rigorously applying the rule book he should have gone. It's inconsistency like this that makes the sport a farce at times and leads to conspiracy theories. Add in the convoy being stopped and preventing Porte making full use of it and it's no wonder eyebrows get raised. Part of me hopes Porte now has a disaster in the mountains and loses enough time that this isn't the deciding factor.

More importantly this has serious implications for my PTP chances. I propose that PTP should be run on Frenchie's rules and we deduct two minutes off Porte's final GC time and allocate the appropriate position.
  • joelsim
    Pross wrote:

More importantly this has serious implications for my PTP chances. I propose that PTP should be run on Frenchie's rules and we deduct two minutes off Porte's final GC time and allocate the appropriate position.

Important things first. I have Caruso and Formolo in my draft team :shock:
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited May 2015
    @giroditalia
    This is cycling. This is the best sport in the world. #Giro

<Tweet included images of Clarke giving Porte a wheel, a push, and a career without a GT win>

Just seen someone tweet that the entire peloton should swap wheels on the start line tomorrow. Problem solved. Mother Teresas all round.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    Johnny Hoogerland ‏@zeeuwseleeuw 15m15 minutes ago
    What a horrible penalty for @richie_porte. Is it really necessary to punish him that hard? And destroy his overal classification?

@millarmind · 4m 4 minutes ago
    Today @SimoClarke shows not only sportsmanship but friendship in helping @richie_porte out when he needed it. That is cycling to me...
    @millarmind · 3m 3 minutes ago
    Shame @UCI_cycling continue to show how incredibly out of touch they are with the modern peloton. Stupid is as stupid does.
    @millarmind · 2m 2 minutes ago
    Time for @BrianCooksonUCI to show some leadership that the fans of cycling want and need from him.

@mrconde · 3h 3 hours ago
    Matthews in pink earlier: "I'd like to give this jersey to Porte" - Today, he helps him not lose too much time after a mechanical. #giro
    @mrconde · 22m 22 minutes ago
    Look kids, even in professional sport there is a strong sportsmanship. That is until a ridiculous @UCI_cycling rule ruins it of course #giro
    @mrconde · 17m 17 minutes ago
    First there is no car convoy to help Porte get back to the peloton. Jury decision. Next, they give him 2min penalty. Here you go Aru. #giro
    @jeremycwhittle 7m7 minutes ago
    The UCI have come down harder on R Porte for a wheel change than on Astana for years of proven mismanagement and malpractice.

+many more

Funny how the reaction is so vociferous for an English speaking rider. If it was a rider from the continent for sure there would be no support.

The best one is this though:
    @giroditalia · 2h 2 hours ago
    This is cycling.
    This is the best sport in the world.
    CFYheuiW8AAcP-S.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Macaloon wrote:
    Were Team Emissions asleep?

@friebos · 6h 6 hours ago
    A random Madiot quote, just for funsies: 'I'm anti-environmentalist.. They're 2% of society & piss everyone off. They should stay in Paris!'
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Shortly after 7.30pm local time, having first summoned Sky manager Dave Brailsford and directeur sportif Dario Cioni to the race permanence to inform them in person, the commissaires issued a statement confirming that Porte had been docked two minutes.

“Clearly there was little to be done, rules are rules, and I think rules have to be respected for the credibility of this sport and, in this case, the credibility of the Giro d’Italia,” race director Mauro Vegni told reporters outside the press centre in Forlì on Tuesday evening.

Vegni confirmed that Porte and Team Sky had no possibility to appeal the decision. “These are race matters and they are judged by the commissaires and their decision is final,” he said.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    ben@31 wrote:

What happens if the rivals Team Car does a drive by and throws some really nice energy gels out the window and a bidon ? Do you lose 2 minutes?
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • frenchfighter
    @hornerakg 4m4 minutes ago
    GC shouldn't be decided by this kind of rule. Flat tire alone in critical moment is penalty enough! @richie_porte @giroditalia

They should have a chat with Evans.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    ben@31 wrote:
    What happens if the rivals Team Car does a drive by and throws some really nice energy gels out the window and a bidon ? Do you lose 2 minutes?

And this happens all the time. The most recent from memory was the BMC car feeding the rest of the riders when Gilbert was in the break earlier this Giro.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • joelsim

The best one is this though:
    @giroditalia · 2h 2 hours ago
    This is cycling.
    This is the best sport in the world.
    CFYheuiW8AAcP-S.jpg

Top tweet. Says it all.
  • frenchfighter
    I wonder if Porte hadnt tweeted it and Watson hadnt photograhped it whether the race jersey would have known.

@CafeRoubaix 40m40 minutes ago
    What's more funny is that the UCI jury hasn't seen the change of wheel live, they took the decision after seeing a photo.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    I need a whole field of these right now.

One of my favourites:
    1210112542x2Ppnx3-1.jpg

'Tis lovely Frenchie. Thanks.