Giro Stage 10 - spoilers

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    ThomThom wrote:
    Didn't look organised for Porte that. Sky car hesitated and stayed behind when they should just have paced them up to the rest of the cars. Porte really didn't need 4 guys when he could just have been paced himself by the cars. Instead he was fourth of fifth in the train and, like Rich says, benefitting very little from the draft and actually causing him to lose wheels.

Flecha saying on extra that the commissaries must have stopped the car convoy from doing that. Usually he would ve expected Sky to be able to move up through the cars. Not sure if its because it was too dangerous, because Porte is up on GC or because they re Italian and random decisions are part of the Giro...?!?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    The_Boy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Ffffff**ck, race over

Don't be such a silly. The gap is only around 1 minute yet.

Yeah but in modern defensive GC races that will mean (or certainly should mean) that the rest is a formality. .

Not if Porte is the strongest rider it doesn't. Nor does it begin to take into account the fact that Sky have had a *very* easy time of it while the Dark Side have battled among themselves.

Crying over 45s now is very silly. At least until the TT, or even better, the first mountain stage of the last week.

possibly, but I though the top 3 looked pretty equal. We ll see I S'pose....
    - @ddraver
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Losing the Giro because of a puncture seems soooo old fashioned...

Get a pair of tubeless FFS!
    left the forum March 2023
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Porte might need to be a bit more aggressive in the mountains now although he could recover his losses in the TT. Worrying thing was that he seemed to be struggling to hold his team's wheels at times.

It makes sense though. The guys pulling him were flat land 80kg monsters. A 55kg rider should legitimately be flapping all over the place to hold that wheel.

You're right. Henao is a real flat land monster. I'm tipping him to win Paris-Roubaix one day.

I doubt Sky have a 80kg rider in the Giro.

I think that the team have to share the weight around, so the 5kg that FF thinks Porte has lost has been given to the other guys. :roll:
  • ddraver
    Losing the Giro because of a puncture seems soooo old fashioned...

Get a pair of tubeless FFS!

I saw your name on the thread and I KNEW you'd be saying that :wink:
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    inseine wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Porte might need to be a bit more aggressive in the mountains now although he could recover his losses in the TT. Worrying thing was that he seemed to be struggling to hold his team's wheels at times.

It makes sense though. The guys pulling him were flat land 80kg monsters. A 55kg rider should legitimately be flapping all over the place to hold that wheel.

You're right. Henao is a real flat land monster. I'm tipping him to win Paris-Roubaix one day.

I doubt Sky have a 80kg rider in the Giro.

I think that the team have to share the weight around, so the 5kg that FF thinks Porte has lost has been given to the other guys. :roll:

Weight trading? Sounds good to me, I have a spare 10kg if there's any skinny people on here wanting some?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    ddraver wrote:
    I saw your name on the thread and I KNEW you'd be saying that :wink:

I don't get why they don't at least seal the tubs with latex... PRO cycling is so archaic
    left the forum March 2023
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It was probably the effects of drafting a car. If you're fourth in line you get less of the benefits and more of the turbulance.

I assumed it was because he didn't want to be seen drafting cars. Quite wise I thought.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    It was probably the effects of drafting a car. If you're fourth in line you get less of the benefits and more of the turbulance.

I assumed it was because he didn't want to be seen drafting cars. Quite wise I thought.

In this case you take whatever fine you get.
  • TheBigBean
    ThomThom wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

In this case you take whatever fine you get.

The fine can be in time as well as money.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    That sucked for Porte. Hopefully he takes a good chunk of that time back on Contador in the ITT. I guess the good thing for Porte is that Aru is likely to lose a fair amount of time to Contador on Saturday so Contador will have more than one man to mark and more than one team to deal with.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I was just reading about Sky using a different tyre for the Giro after everyone at sky kept falling off when it rained.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Does anyone have a picture of a pretty horse? I need cheering up.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

redhorse-toblerone.jpg
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    Richie Porte ‏@richie_porte 3m3 minutes ago

Thanks to my @TeamSky teammates and @SimoClarke & @blingmatthews for helping me to get going quickly #mates

image.png
  • above_the_cows
    The_Boy wrote:

redhorse-toblerone.jpg

And bless you!
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    There are 11 stages to go. Well 10 if you discount the final stage.

Its not the end of the world. Things happen in bike races- there is plenty of time for things to change again.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    edited May 2015

Camilla+Parker+Bowles+Duchess+Cornwall+Attends+BTIPqBqQKKTl.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    From Cycling Weekly

CFYbdViXIAAmaRQ.jpg

CFYbdUUWgAEwoK4.jpg

So where is the proper mechanic?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean

ChevaldeCamargue.jpg
  • RichN95.
    At least Porte has got his allegedly inevitable 'one bad day' out of the way.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    RichN95 wrote:
    From Cycling Weekly

CFYbdViXIAAmaRQ.jpg

CFYbdUUWgAEwoK4.jpg

Controversial. Wonder how the other favourites feel about a different team assisting?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Didn't see the stage today but read a headline about Porte losing time and wondered how it happened on a pan flat stage. Bad luck for him but that's GT racing. Everyone has their share now and then.

It's a huge mountain for him to climb to overhaul Contador now (pun intended) but you never know.

How poor was that from the sprinter's teams? They let a relatively small break of pretty average riders go clear and made a complete mess of the chase.
  • rick_chasey
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    From Cycling Weekly

CFYbdViXIAAmaRQ.jpg

CFYbdUUWgAEwoK4.jpg

Controversial. Wonder how the other favourites feel about a different team assisting?

It's not controversial - the orica rider had nothing to lose and a friend to gain by doing it.

Christ, do people not get cycling sometimes?

The Italians would do the same for one another for a Giro favourite anyway.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    That kind of thing happens loads of times.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    RichN95 wrote:

i already did that *angry*
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ddraver wrote:
    Flecha saying on extra that the commissaries must have stopped the car convoy from doing that. Usually he would ve expected Sky to be able to move up through the cars. Not sure if its because it was too dangerous, because Porte is up on GC or because they re Italian and random decisions are part of the Giro...?!?
    Vinokourov in the TDF lost almighty time with the same problem.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • TheBigBean

It's not controversial - the orica rider had nothing to lose and a friend to gain by doing it.

The Italians thought it was a bit controversial in 1987, but that's another story.
  • RichN95.
    The_Boy wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

i already did that *angry*
    So you did. I will turn over all royalties I make from that comment to you.
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:

The Italians thought it was a bit controversial in 1987, but that's another story.

I wasn't alive then so whatevs.