BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666 said:

Although they still would have tried it by other means.

That response is exactly why there was nothing they could have done to make any difference.
  • Ha, a Bexit benefit at last! Telegraph cheerily telling us that Brexit having tanked UK shares, now's the time to buy to make a fortune! Hurrah!

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,764

Stevo_666 said:

That response is exactly why there was nothing they could have done to make any difference.
    So you agree that the EU would promise not to do something then try to do it anyway?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412

Ha, a Bexit benefit at last! Telegraph cheerily telling us that Brexit having tanked UK shares, now's the time to buy to make a fortune! Hurrah!

Lots of reasons for the underperformance of the UK stockmarket from 2016 to 2022, and as far as the FTSE100 shares, it has very little to do with Brexit at 70%+ of their earnings come from overseas and a weak pound benefits that.
    Still, why not show your limited knowledge on investments Bri if you think it supports your hobby horse! :p
  • Stevo_666
    Can't really disagree too much...
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/26/rejoin-the-eu-campaign-problem-supporters-insufferable/

“Listen up, everyone. To have any hope of winning over former Leave supporters, we need to dispel this outrageously unfair notion that pro-EU activists are smug, twee, pretentious, metropolitan elitists who are completely out of touch with ordinary people. Any ideas?”

“I know. How about a spot of interpretive dance?”

:smile:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,144
    Stevo_666 said:

Can't really disagree too much...
    https://telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/09/26/rejoin-the-eu-campaign-problem-supporters-insufferable/

“Listen up, everyone. To have any hope of winning over former Leave supporters, we need to dispel this outrageously unfair notion that pro-EU activists are smug, twee, pretentious, metropolitan elitists who are completely out of touch with ordinary people. Any ideas?”

“I know. How about a spot of interpretive dance?”

:smile:

Why would anyone be interested in winning them over and for what?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Ha, a Bexit benefit at last! Telegraph cheerily telling us that Brexit having tanked UK shares, now's the time to buy to make a fortune! Hurrah!

Lots of reasons for the underperformance of the UK stockmarket from 2016 to 2022, and as far as the FTSE100 shares, it has very little to do with Brexit at 70%+ of their earnings come from overseas and a weak pound benefits that.
    Still, why not show your limited knowledge on investments Bri if you think it supports your hobby horse! :p

Whose headline was it?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    edited September 2023

Ha, a Bexit benefit at last! Telegraph cheerily telling us that Brexit having tanked UK shares, now's the time to buy to make a fortune! Hurrah!

Whose headline was it?
    You posted that Brexit tanked the UK stockmarket Brian (which is BS) so own it.

Other than the US, most stock markets are good value at the moment and when sentiment improves with inflation getting under control there will be good money to be made. Markets are not perfect so sometimes are over valued, sometimes they are undervalued.

Whose headline was it?
    You posted it Brian so own it.

Other than the US, most stock markets are good value at the moment and when sentiment improves with inflation getting under control there will be good money to be made. Markets are not perfect so sometimes are over valued, sometimes they are undervalued.

Would a wink 😉 have helped? Or maybe you don't find it amusing that the Telegraph is telling us that Brexit has made the UK stock market underperform, and that now we can profit from it.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,212
    Perhaps the Daily Heilegraph should have been more in touch with Brits by not using the phrase 'bang for your buck'? For your guinea? Florin? Shilling? Farthing?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

So you agree that the EU would promise not to do something then try to do it anyway?
    I can't see how you would take that from what I wrote.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You can answer it anyway, even if you don't quite get the point.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Impressive to accuse me of missing the point on that.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

But you still won't answer the question?
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You totally missed the point of what I wrote.

I don't think that the wording about ever closer union ever meant anything, but we had it agreed to be removed for the UK, it didn't make any difference, because it wasn't really about anything the EU said or did at that point, the leavers just wanted out.

And now, because you like to be on the winning side, you pretend that you were a committed leaver and agree with them that the nasty EU can't be trusted.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,221

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

On the plus side you can tick 'that's not the point' off the bingo card. You now just need 'show me some proof' and its converse 'I'm not going to do your research for you' and you could win this week's jackpot.
  • Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

On the plus side you can tick 'that's not the point' off the bingo card. You now just need 'show me some proof' and its converse 'I'm not going to do your research for you' and you could win this week's jackpot.
    You have nothing to add to the debate then?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I don't think that the wording about ever closer union ever meant anything, but we had it agreed to be removed for the UK, it didn't make any difference, because it wasn't really about anything the EU said or did at that point, the leavers just wanted out.

And now, because you like to be on the winning side, you pretend that you were a committed leaver and agree with them that the nasty EU can't be trusted.
    I didn't miss the point but I fan see you aren't answering the question and are trying to complicate things instead.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,589

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I think there are things that the EU could have done that would have persuaded a majority of UK voters, but the will wasn't there partly because of the idea that the UK already had a lot of perks. That in itself is interesting, because it implies that some countries have accepted some things (e.g. Euro, Schengen) that they have later regretted. Alternatively, the perception should have been that the UK was worse off for having these perks, so was an inferior member.

On your specific point about ever closer union. I think it is a case of the pope saying he isn't catholic. We now have unified phone charger cables for environmental reasons. I find it really hard to believe that ever closer union wouldn't have happened in the same way.

• rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Surely in a debate you discuss and respond to each others' comments rather than just endlessly repeating a question.

We already had an opt out from ever closer union before we even dreamt of leaving. Now we've left so it's pretty irrelevant.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Ooh, I can tick that off. Thank you.
  • rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Surely in a debate you discuss and respond to each others' comments rather than just endlessly repeating a question.

We already had an opt out from ever closer union before we even dreamt of leaving. Now we've left so it's pretty irrelevant.
    We didn't - it was a result of the Cameron negotiations.
  • orraloon
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

How many 'OFFS' boxes are on the card?
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

We didn't - it was a result of the Cameron negotiations.
    Happy to amend that to 'before we look left'.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Well done. Sadly I already have a pet troll ;)
  • orraloon
    Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I thought shortfall was your likebot.
  • Pross
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Seems to have malfunctioned lately
  • Stevo_666
    orraloon said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Pross said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You might need to look up the definition of troll. It's a subtly different point ;)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Windsor Framework comes into effect today.

Stormont still down (>600 days now)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Windsor Framework comes into effect today.

Stormont still down (>600 days now)

could you clarify what this will do to the sale of cheese