BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Seriously? Genuinely I’ve not seen a butchers that doesn’t start with doubling the supermarket price and moves from there.

Time to do some proper research and find a good one. Any that use the word “artisan” should be expected to be overpriced.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Seriously? Genuinely I’ve not seen a butchers that doesn’t start with doubling the supermarket price and moves from there.

Waitrose gammon £11 per kg
    My butcher £14 per kg
    Sunningdale butcher £17 per kg

You need to find a new butcher
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,601

My butcher £14 per kg

But in Sainsingerso it is £6/kg
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,689

My butcher £14 per kg

But in Sainsingerso it is £6/kg
    Probably about the same amount of meat though. Salty water at £6/kg is quite profitable.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I’m wondering why Mr We shouldn’t drive to save the planet is banging on about eating meat.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited June 2023

My butcher £14 per kg

Waitrose meat is the most overpriced sh!t I refuse to use that as a credible benchmark.

They buy the meat from the same farms the other supermarkets do so they’re no better or worse than the others.

Sainos has gammon at £6 a kilo, so taking a normal supermarket price and doubling it seems pretty accurate.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/SearchResults/gammon

You need to find a new supermarket 😉
  • rick_chasey

Pross said:

https://the-gourmet-butcher.wales/shop/

£8.90 for a barn-reared chicken at one of the two farm shop butchers I use:

https://www.greendale.com/category/poultry
    So sainos prices for a similar sized chicken is roughly £3.50 or £2.60 per kilo, so again, double supermarket prices.

So you can argue supermarket meat is rubbish (it often isn’t in other countries) but don’t tell me it’s not roughly double or more supermarket prices, because it is.
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

My local butcher.

https://scottsofcarshalton.co.uk/#

We regularly buy their sausages. A bit more than supermarket equivalent but tastier and bigger and I think better value if you buy a large pack.
    This is no use, no prices on there!
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

My butcher £14 per kg

Waitrose meat is the most overpriced sh!t I refuse to use that as a credible benchmark.

They buy the meat from the same farms the other supermarkets do so they’re no better or worse than the others.

Sainos has gammon at £6 a kilo, so taking a normal supermarket price and doubling it seems pretty accurate.

My butcher £14 per kg

I don’t buy meat from supermarkets
  • briantrumpet

Pross said:

https://the-gourmet-butcher.wales/shop/

£8.90 for a barn-reared chicken at one of the two farm shop butchers I use:

https://www.greendale.com/category/poultry
    So sainos prices for a similar sized chicken is roughly £3.50 or £2.60 per kilo, so again, double supermarket prices.

So you can argue supermarket meat is rubbish (it often isn’t in other countries) but don’t tell me it’s not roughly double or more supermarket prices, because it is.

You were saying a chicken was £25 from a butchers.

There are lots of reasons why and how supermarket meat is so cheap in the UK.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,150

My butcher £14 per kg

If you think it's just about which farm the meat comes from that might be where you are going wrong.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

My local butcher.

https://scottsofcarshalton.co.uk/#

We regularly buy their sausages. A bit more than supermarket equivalent but tastier and bigger and I think better value if you buy a large pack.
    This is no use, no prices on there!
    I'm not seriously suggesting you trek to the other side of London. You'll have to take my word for it that it isn't that expensive. More than Sainsbury's; worth the extra as it goes further and tastes better.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited June 2023
    I’m totally confused.

UK supermarket is cheap rubbish. Quality meat from a butchers is double the price.

Is the argument that supermarket meat should be better quality at the same price or that the butchers should keep their quality but reduce the price?

Neither of which are possible.

The death of the high street butcher proves its not just greed. Retail is expensive in this country. It’s why the supermarkets have obliterated independent businesses. Maybe that’s the real issue here.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

UK supermarket is cheap rubbish. Quality meat from a butchers is double the price.

Is the argument that supermarket meat should be better quality at the same price or that the butchers should keep their quality but reduce the price?

The death of the high street butcher proves its not just greed. Retail is expensive in this country. It’s why the supermarkets have obliterated independent businesses. Maybe that’s the real issue here.

Yeah the baseline quality for the meat ought to be better.

No one’s banging on about how great British produce is.
  • pblakeney

morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

You keep typing British when it should be supermarket.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774

The UK comes way down in the list of how much antibiotics are used in their farm animals, in Europe. Antibiotics are usully a substitute for more labour-intensive and skilled (i.e., more costly) husbandry.

https://www.europeandatajournalism.eu/cp_data_news/fewer-antibiotics-in-european-livestock-farming/

I'm still interested (at the risk of sealioning) where all this negtive stuff about British farming practices, in comparison with other countries, is documented. As mentioned here ages ago, the UK was ahead of the rest of the EU on sow & veal crates, battery eggs, and various other welfare issues, and voluntarily brought forward dates for banning practices in the UK ahead of other EU countries. That too cost money.

I feel that whatever I post up will be shot down but if you Google UK meat exports you will see that we have a poor reputation.

You'll have to help me, as if I google UK meat exports, I get a load of hits saying it's gone to record levels.

https://www.agriland.co.uk/farming-news/highest-on-record-uk-red-meat-exports-worth-1-7bn-in-2022/
    You've momentarily forgotten to think about Brexit. Surely a record level would be impossible with Brexit?

:smile:

Here's another larger one (services exports) which should be impossible due to Brexit, according to some:
    https://telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/05/20/britain-services-industry-export-boom-brexit/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

Ok last time else I am repeating myself to oblivian and @First.Aspect will have a heart attack > supermarket meat, at supermarket prices, abroad is in general far superior in quality.

Us lot in the Uk resort to paying more than our continental counterparts and inconvenience ourselves to go to additional shops than the supermarket to avoid the low quality standard British supermarket meat.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

Ok last time else I am repeating myself to oblivian and @First.Aspect will have a heart attack > supermarket meat, at supermarket prices, abroad is in general far superior in quality.

Us lot in the Uk resort to paying more than our continental counterparts and inconvenience ourselves to go to additional shops than the supermarket to avoid the low quality standard British supermarket meat.

And we're trying to tell you that supermarket meat abroad is probably on a par price-wise with decent butchers' meat here (that's certainly the case in France, from my experience). Maybe it's the UK supermarket model that's the problem.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

Have a word with your friends in the supermarket business and tell them to up their game. Customers can only choose from what is on offer.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

Have a word with your friends in the supermarket business and tell them to up their game. Customers can only choose from what is on offer.
    Yes and they can only deliver fresh food from so far away, and British consumers are price sensitive so they buy British…!

Hence my original point. UK meat production is nothing to shout about. You’ve got a few artisan Scots and maybe some Welsh who do the odd steak/lamb but that’s about it.

I am very much in line with SC that all state support to the farming sector should be halted and let the strongest survive.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

Yes and they can only deliver fresh food from so far away, and British consumers are price sensitive so they buy British…!

Hence my original point. UK meat production is nothing to shout about. You’ve got a few artisan Scots and maybe some Welsh who do the odd steak/lamb but that’s about it.

I am very much in line with SC that all state support to the farming sector should be halted and let the strongest survive.
    Do you also think that the Common Agricultural Policy in the EU should be scrapped?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

Do you also think that the Common Agricultural Policy in the EU should be scrapped?
    Sure.

You’ve not seen how those self entitled bastards held the Netherlands to randsom? Is having everything they do subsidised not enough?

Bunch of whiners. Even the highly entertaining Clarkson’s farm works because he’s an entertaining complainer. That’s all farmers do.

I have some sympathy with his thwarted attempts to make money from it. Quite a lot in fact.
  • briantrumpet

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I’m totally confused.

Farmers do a pretty good job of supplying what UK supermarkets dictate, and they do dictate. Supermarkets also have done a fantastic job of closing down most of the competition (I think there are now only two proper greengrocers in the whole of Exeter), so neither sellers nor purchasers have a meaningful choice (unless you make special efforts) in the UK.

You've discounted going to independent butchers because of £25 chickens, and then complain UK meat isn't anything great.

The entire food market is different on the continent. And that's largely down to how UK supermarkets operate - and, on the whole, it operates on their terms.
  • rick_chasey
    Isn’t it just climate and geography?
  • briantrumpet

No. The UK is cracking place for growing grass (and potatoes and turnips), as it has the Atlantic as a neighbour, and is temperate. My bit of France is good at growing melons, cherries and peaches, but is a bit rubbish for widespread livestock farming.
  • rick_chasey
    Then explain to me even when it’s expensive meat it doesn’t taste as good as it does abroad?
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2023

🤦🏻‍♂️

Never let ignorance get in the way.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry

No. The UK is cracking place for growing grass (and potatoes and turnips), as it has the Atlantic as a neighbour, and is temperate. My bit of France is good at growing melons, cherries and peaches, but is a bit rubbish for widespread livestock farming.
    But if you like goat...
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    Just had a fantastic Sunday lunch at a farm shop cafe in Cornwall. All local ingredients and it cost us less then £30 for 2 meals and a soft drink each. I’m not generally a big meat eater, mainly because of experiences with cheap, tough, sinewy meat as a kid but there wasn’t a chicken option so I had beef. It was proper melt in your mouth stuff. I hate fat, gristle and sinews in meat so there’s usually bits left on my plate but not today.

I’ll be back there in a few days giving their breakfast a go.
  • rick_chasey
    Come on. I’m all ears. The food and produce across southern Europe is just infinitely nicer, right?

Regardless of the price bracket.

Now if that is purely down to the market structure you’ll have to break that down beyond “supermarkets are bad”.