BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,687

Come on. I’m all ears. The food and produce across southern Europe is just infinitely nicer, right?

Regardless of the price bracket.

Now if that is purely down to the market structure you’ll have to break that down beyond “supermarkets are bad”.

Some of it is, some of it isn't. I'm not sure how you are assessing that though, in meat terms, if you buy your meat from supermarkets both here and there. They are different beasts entirely.

One example would be that both the big local supermarkets in Die extensively stock and promote local produce. A friend of mine who produces, erm, various 'goose products' (sorry) gave up trying to promote it herself (farm and market sales), as both of the supermarkets stock it, put it in prominent displays, and give her a decent margin. And all she has to do is to produce it and deliver it to them.

I don't think that model is one that Sainsbo's or Tesco would recognise, as they are much more centralised models that don't give small-scale access to their shelves.
  • briantrumpet

I am very much in line with SC that all state support to the farming sector should be halted and let the strongest survive.

Given that we can't keep supermarket shelves full when we're only 60% self-sufficient in food, that's quite an ambitious (aka 'risky') attitude. If you read the article about one of the biggest UK egg producers giving up, because it no longer pays (despite there being a massive shortage of eggs in the UK), then you'll know that the market is not working as it should. This isn't a market like bike parts, where if there are massive price rises, or the product isn't available, you can just shrug your shoulders and wait to see if the market stabilises.

If you're dead against subsidies, let's remove all subsidies from public transport, and just let the strongest companies survive.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,229
    I had the best fish (bass) I’ve ever tasted in a restaurant in Turkey and when I had the same dish in a different place a few days later it was worse than anything I’ve had in the UK other than one place that didn’t scale the fish. It’s too simplistic to say it’s better in one country than another, so much comes down to the preparation and cooking as well as the produce itself.

I always preferred British strawberries to the Spanish imports but they had a short season. Now we get year round British strawberries from poly tunnels that are just like the Spanish ones with little flavour. It’s mainly our fault in that we’ve been led to believe fruit and veg shouldn’t be seasonal.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021

Come on. I’m all ears. The food and produce across southern Europe is just infinitely nicer, right?

Nope. That depends on where you or the chef shops, then how it is cooked. I have had shite food in southern Europe too.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Come on. I’m all ears. The food and produce across southern Europe is just infinitely nicer, right?

Now if that is purely down to the market structure you’ll have to break that down beyond “supermarkets are bad”.

Everything tastes better on holiday. Fantastic fizz on a warm evening in France after a pleasant day out on two wheels tastes like gnats’ p*ss when you drink it at home.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Everything tastes better on holiday. Fantastic fizz on a warm evening in France after a pleasant day out on two wheels tastes like gnats’ p*ss when you drink it at home.
    Yeah it’s not like France is known the world over for the world’s most sought after fizz.
  • rick_chasey
    Let’s face it, Britain is not known the world over for its quality produce or food.

In fact it’s best known for being extremely happy to take on dishes and cuisine from around the world, largely as the local fare isn’t all that.

• briantrumpet

Let’s face it, Britain is not known the world over for its quality produce or food.

In fact it’s best known for being extremely happy to take on dishes and cuisine from around the world, largely as the local fare isn’t all that.

Well, I'm sorry you're missing out on all the good local produce here, which several of us here seem to be able to find without too much trouble. I'm slightly bemused how you're missing it all, unless you think that UK supermarkets are the standard bearers of quality UK food, and that a £25 chicken means that all decent produce is overpriced.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,021
    Lots of gourmet restaurants worldwide are happy to serve food that originated in the UK. Maybe you should try it.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

Yeah it’s not like France is known the world over for the world’s most sought after fizz.
    It’s not like even all champagne is equal though is it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,148
    Just bizarre that a guy who spends an appreciable part of his working life in restaurants thinks the food in this country is so poor. Obviously some is imported but where do you think they source most of their ingredients?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    rjsterry said:

Just bizarre that a guy who spends an appreciable part of his working life in restaurants thinks the food in this country is so poor. Obviously some is imported but where do you think they source most of their ingredients?

Ricktopia obviously.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    Pross said:

Just had a fantastic Sunday lunch at a farm shop cafe in Cornwall. All local ingredients and it cost us less then £30 for 2 meals and a soft drink each. I’m not generally a big meat eater, mainly because of experiences with cheap, tough, sinewy meat as a kid but there wasn’t a chicken option so I had beef. It was proper melt in your mouth stuff. I hate fat, gristle and sinews in meat so there’s usually bits left on my plate but not today.

I’ll be back there in a few days giving their breakfast a go.

Oooh, where?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

Just had a fantastic Sunday lunch at a farm shop cafe in Cornwall. All local ingredients and it cost us less then £30 for 2 meals and a soft drink each. I’m not generally a big meat eater, mainly because of experiences with cheap, tough, sinewy meat as a kid but there wasn’t a chicken option so I had beef. It was proper melt in your mouth stuff. I hate fat, gristle and sinews in meat so there’s usually bits left on my plate but not today.

I’ll be back there in a few days giving their breakfast a go.

Oooh, where?
    Boscastle, lovely meal to be fair and sat at the outside table next to the coast path so great views although the mist rolled in towards the end.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023
    rjsterry said:

I’m often underwhelmed tbh. Especially when you take the price into account (which tbh I struggle not to take into account even during the sitting).

Don’t get me wrong there are some great places, obviously.

We’re not in a food desert. But the baseline quality for every day food is pretty low.
  • Come on. I’m all ears. The food and produce across southern Europe is just infinitely nicer, right?

Not at €3 a bottle!

• rick_chasey

Not at €3 a bottle!

If you have fantastic fizz at €3 in France pray tell!

Not at €3 a bottle!

Well it’s a bit hit and miss as you have to trial a few from the supermarket but they’re there if you are diligent. Key point though is that they don’t taste good back home on a dark dreary November Friday evening after a sh*t week at work. My original point is they your experience of foreign food is likely skewed to situations which are desirable eg holidays or a flash business trip. So you have fond memories of it compared to U.K. food that is just everyday fuel most of the time.

Ironically, Prosecco is the most popular fizz in the U.K.

• briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

I’m often underwhelmed tbh. Especially when you take the price into account (which tbh I struggle not to take into account even during the sitting).

We’re not in a food desert. But the baseline quality for every day food is pretty low.

I'd not argue with that, (though it needn't be that way). And the policies of the supermarkets in using price as the main criterion is largely to blame for that, along with their success in placing themselves as the only place where many people source their food.

Maybe I'm just lucky in having two really good farm shops, a greengrocer's and butcher's within 15 minutes of me, but I have no trouble in sourcing better than the supermarkets can offer, at very reasonable prices.
  • rick_chasey
    edited June 2023

Not at €3 a bottle!

Well it’s a bit hit and miss as you have to trial a few from the supermarket but they’re there if you are diligent. Key point though is that they don’t taste good back home on a dark dreary November Friday evening after a sh*t week at work. My original point is they your experience of foreign food is likely skewed to situations which are desirable eg holidays or a flash business trip. So you have fond memories of it compared to U.K. food that is just everyday fuel most of the time.

Possibly. I’ve been cooking the same stuff here in Italy as I do home (4 year old enjoys a limited repertoire despite my and my wife’s best efforts) and it is genuinely better stuff. The ingredients are just better.

(I should add I have an absolute addiction to cheap nasty mayo so even the obvious short coming there, I’m quids in. Give me that mayo in a tube hubba hubba. Doubly so if it’s really yellow and eggy)

Obviously I’m not cooking much in butter….

Have you seen the colour of the yolks here?! Outrageous. Deep apricot oranges. Glorious.
  • briantrumpet

Not at €3 a bottle!

Possibly. I’ve been cooking the same stuff here in Italy as I do home (4 year old enjoys a limited repertoire despite my and my wife’s best efforts) and it is genuinely better stuff. The ingredients are just better.

(I should add I have an absolute addiction to cheap nasty mayo so even the obvious short coming there, I’m quids in. Give me that mayo in a tube hubba hubba. Doubly so if it’s really yellow and eggy)

Have you seen the colour of the yolks here?! Outrageous. Deep apricot oranges. Glorious.
    My breakfast egg this morning...

• rjsterry
    edited June 2023

rjsterry said:

I suspect your recent holiday is skewing your view. You mentioned before that you are not a big spender. For meat you will be less disappointed spending a bit more per kilo but buying less. Fruit and veg are more variable and would agree that mainstream shopping seems to be dominated by appearance rather than taste.

Not at €3 a bottle!

You can buy Burford Brown eggs here if you prefer. The prevailing fashion is for yellow yolks. I doubt you could tell the difference blindfolded.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

If you grow your own you know fruit and veg tastes better the shorter the time between picking and eating. You would also know that it goes off in days whereas a similar product from a supermarket will last weeks.

I suspect that in parts of other countries they are buying daily from a market whereas in this country they are playing with nature to get the longevity.
  • rick_chasey
    Isn’t that because most of them are being shipped in anyway (because the climate and geography isn’t all that unless you want to grow turnips)?
  • rjsterry

If you grow your own you know fruit and veg tastes better the shorter the time between picking and eating. You would also know that it goes off in days whereas a similar product from a supermarket will last weeks.

I suspect that in parts of other countries they are buying daily from a market whereas in this country they are playing with nature to get the longevity.
    If you count polytunnels and cold storage as 'playing with nature'
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    rjsterry said:

yes I do.

Try growing a lettuce and then pick it. I promise you that Liz Truss would last longer
  • briantrumpet

rjsterry said:

yes I do.

Try growing a lettuce and then pick it. I promise you that Liz Truss would last longer

I've not followed the links through on this, but I'd be surprised if clever stuff isn't being used to keep lettuces (and other items) longer than Liz Truss's premiership.

https://medium.com/@Grobogrow/freshness-exposed-the-truth-behind-your-supermarkets-fresh-frozen-and-canned-produce-24eac2f6ac75

According to recommendations published by the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO), here is how long produce can be stored before reaching the supermarket:

Apples: 1–6 months
    Cabbage: 5–6 months
    Lettuce: 2–3 weeks
    Tomatoes: 2–3 weeks
    Potatoes: 2–12 months
    Carrots: 1–9 months
    Garlic: 6–7 months
    Pumpkins: 2–5 months
    Cucumber: 28 days
    Pomegranate: 2–3 months
  • rjsterry
    edited June 2023

rjsterry said:

yes I do.

All farming is playing with nature. The Victorians built a railway just to get watercress from Hampshire to London. That really doesn't keep. While places like Italy can do fresh Mediterranean vegetables direct from field to market stall, they still have seasons and make extensive use of polytunnels and cold storage.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

Isn’t it just climate and geography?

🤦🏻‍♂️

Never let ignorance get in the way.
    rjsterry said:

While places like Italy can do fresh Mediterranean vegetables direct from field to market stall, they still have seasons and make extensive use of polytunnels and cold storage.

So which is it?