BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,608

Alternative view on Aus trade deal and the dinner with Johnson

https://capx.co/no-boris-didnt-sell-out-british-farmers-with-the-australia-trade-deal/

I read that as saying that the "sell out" was done before the dinner, done on purpose and not on the hoof by Boris. The article seems to say that this is a good thing because it would reduce the UK's reliance on the EU for agricultural goods.

I'm not saying this was a good or bad thing, because I don't know. Do we get a lot of lamb and beef from the EU?
    Sounds like a reasonable summary. Also, that NZ and Aus have dropped all their tariffs on imports from the UK.
    I am struggling to find a value for food exports to Aus/;NZ as it does not appear in lists of top exports. Could it really be as low as £100m?
    Why are you looking at food? It is all tariffs that have been removed.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,694

https://capx.co/no-boris-didnt-sell-out-british-farmers-with-the-australia-trade-deal/

I read that as saying that the "sell out" was done before the dinner, done on purpose and not on the hoof by Boris. The article seems to say that this is a good thing because it would reduce the UK's reliance on the EU for agricultural goods.

I'm not saying this was a good or bad thing, because I don't know. Do we get a lot of lamb and beef from the EU?
    Sounds like a reasonable summary. Also, that NZ and Aus have dropped all their tariffs on imports from the UK.
    I am struggling to find a value for food exports to Aus/;NZ as it does not appear in lists of top exports. Could it really be as low as £100m?

You wonder why they ere joking about black pudding...
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

I thought the Boris sell out was specific to agriculture
  • TheBigBean

That's on UK imports. Tariffs have gone on UK exports to Aus/NZ. You should be in favour.
  • surrey_commuter

That's on UK imports. Tariffs have gone on UK exports to Aus/NZ. You should be in favour.
    I am in favour but would rather they were not onthe far side of the world as that would improve my chances of benefiting from good quality cheap beef.

There really does not seem to be much point dedicating resources to getting a deal with a small country far, far, away.

I think we should spend our time on improving the EU deals that we rolled over
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,043

<
    But yet to hear a convincing reason why this is a bad thing.

Yeah true, I mean we might win the world cup in my lifetime.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean

I am in favour but would rather they were not onthe far side of the world as that would improve my chances of benefiting from good quality cheap beef.

There really does not seem to be much point dedicating resources to getting a deal with a small country far, far, away.

I think we should spend our time on improving the EU deals that we rolled over
    It's probably not massive, but it was already pretty easy to export services to Aus and this will likely make it even easier*. Plus things than can easily be shipped (cars, machinery etc.) can be exported without tariffs.

*I'm aware the time zone is a pain, but quite a few people do it.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151

good quality cheap beef.

An oxymoron if ever there was one.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    rjsterry said:

good quality cheap beef.

An oxymoron if ever there was one.

This is how it's done cheaply, and with hormones and grain. They've got permission for a 65k-head unit.

• TheBigBean
    Superior UK version

• briantrumpet

Superior UK version

Not saying that all UK beef production is of delighted animals skipping through luxuriant pastures before being shot, but cheap meat comes at a price, whether it's here or in Australia.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/-/news-rspca-australia-warns-brits-about-low-standards-and-corrects-ministers-claims

Beef production
    40% of beef produced in Australia involves the use of hormones, a practice that is currently not allowed in the UK.

4% of beef is produced on non-grazing feedlots, which limit space and the ability of animals to express their natural behaviours and is not allowed in the UK.

Australia also permits hot branding, a painful procedure not used in the UK.

The 80 slaughterhouses approved for export in Australia have been rated just 2 out of 4 for welfare by RSPCA Australia and there is no compulsory CCTV in slaughterhouses, which is mandatory in England

As the UK prepares to end live exports, the Government is preparing to do a deal with Australia which allows beef cattle to be transported for up to 48 hours without food or water in intense heat.

The pity is that the UK has been leading the way on animal welfare, and we're throwing that away.
  • TheBigBean

Superior UK version

Not saying that all UK beef production is of delighted animals skipping through luxuriant pastures before being shot, but cheap meat comes at a price, whether it's here or in Australia.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/-/news-rspca-australia-warns-brits-about-low-standards-and-corrects-ministers-claims

Beef production
    40% of beef produced in Australia involves the use of hormones, a practice that is currently not allowed in the UK.

4% of beef is produced on non-grazing feedlots, which limit space and the ability of animals to express their natural behaviours and is not allowed in the UK.

The 80 slaughterhouses approved for export in Australia have been rated just 2 out of 4 for welfare by RSPCA Australia and there is no compulsory CCTV in slaughterhouses, which is mandatory in England

As the UK prepares to end live exports, the Government is preparing to do a deal with Australia which allows beef cattle to be transported for up to 48 hours without food or water in intense heat.

The pity is that the UK has been leading the way on animal welfare, and we're throwing that away.
    I don't understand this "4% of beef is produced on non-grazing feedlots, which limit space and the ability of animals to express their natural behaviours and is not allowed in the UK." in the context of the photo above of legally chained cows.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826
    That's a dairy farm and the cows are being milked.
  • kingstongraham
    In Germany.
  • kingstongraham
    In 2009.
  • briantrumpet

Superior UK version

Beef production

I don't understand this "4% of beef is produced on non-grazing feedlots, which limit space and the ability of animals to express their natural behaviours and is not allowed in the UK." in the context of the photo above of legally chained cows.

I'm not defending chained beef animals, but the overall picture, as far as the RSPCA is concerned, is the Oz animals do not have the protections of UK ones. As I say, the UK has led the way in may respects, and the RSPCA don't give a free ride to anyone.

I'd be interested to know the provenance of your photo, though it doesn't make Oz practices which are outlawed here any less concerning. I've personally never seen chained up beef animals here, though that's not proof it doesn't go on.
  • briantrumpet
    I'm not sure what the law says is the minimum requirement for UK cattle, but amongst various wefare schemes (Red TRactor, RSPCA accreditation, etc.), here's the government guidance, on which such scheme are based or mirror.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/code-of-recommendations-for-the-welfare-of-livestock-cattle/beef-cattle-and-dairy-cows-welfare-recommendations

Housing should have enough space for all the animals to:

lie in comfort at the same time
    interact with each other
    stand up and move freely
  • TheBigBean

In Germany.

In 2009.

Brian likes a photo. I doubt they are chained just for milking.
  • TheBigBean

I'm not sure what the law says is the minimum requirement for UK cattle, but amongst various wefare schemes (Red TRactor, RSPCA accreditation, etc.), here's the government guidance, on which such scheme are based or mirror.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/code-of-recommendations-for-the-welfare-of-livestock-cattle/beef-cattle-and-dairy-cows-welfare-recommendations

Housing should have enough space for all the animals to:

lie in comfort at the same time
    interact with each other
    stand up and move freely
    It's poor practice which I would have expected to be illegal, but I have seen it in the UK. I think the public would be surprised by a lot of farming.

None of that means I support poor treatment for imported animals. I have said before that foie gras ban would be a Brexit upside. Perhaps Labour will deliver on it.
  • surrey_commuter
    The irony is of course that our farming practices are viewed badly outside of the UK
  • kingstongraham

In Germany.

In 2009.

Brian likes a photo. I doubt they are chained just for milking.
    I expect they're all dead by now.
  • briantrumpet

The irony is of course that our farming practices are viewed badly outside of the UK

In what ways, and evidence? Genuinely interested.

If it's on the economic efficiency front, in animal husbandry terms, that's not unrelated to welfare: it's not necessarily directly proportional, but welfare costs money (see the routine high use of antibiotics in animal husbandry in the US - it's a substitute for good husbandry and more expensive systems that involve more, and more expensive, labour).

This isn't a paean to small family farms - I've seen some shockers, where the ignorance of good practice and modern advances has been unpleasant - but efficiencies can come all too easily at a cost to the animals and land under a farmer's care.

Here, since BB gave us a photo, I'll give you one too. This is deemed inefficient, maybe, but having healthy contented livestock is not just about churning out milk at the lowest possible cost.

• briantrumpet

In 2009.

Thanks. I didn't think it looked like the UK in 2023, but I don't have comprehensive knowledge of every farm in the UK. I've seen a very small 'shippen' like that in one farm where I milked for a while, but it had not been in use for a long time, and they'd moved to more a more modern standard parlour & feed systems.
  • TheBigBean

In 2009.

Thanks. I didn't think it looked like the UK in 2023, but I don't have comprehensive knowledge of every farm in the UK. I've seen a very small 'shippen' like that in one farm where I milked for a while, but it had not been in use for a long time, and they'd moved to more a more modern standard parlour & feed systems.
    It's old fashioned, but still goes on as it is not against the law. Often smaller shippens/byres now. I saw it this year. Apparently there are some advantages to it as they get more human interaction.
  • briantrumpet

In 2009.

It's old fashioned, but still goes on as it is not against the law. Often smaller shippens/byres now. I saw it this year. Apparently there are some advantages to it as they get more human interaction.

OK, thanks. Just never seen it myself.
  • TheBigBean
    One thing I don't like though is that "saw it this year" and "is legal" are not always synonymous. Although I guess that goes for the way people ride bikes too.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,718

One thing I don't like though is that "saw it this year" and "is legal" are not always synonymous. Although I guess that goes for the way people ride bikes too.

That goes for a lot of things unfortunately, some people will do almost anything to increase their profit and don't give a damn about anyone or anything else.
  • surrey_commuter

If it's on the economic efficiency front, in animal husbandry terms, that's not unrelated to welfare: it's not necessarily directly proportional, but welfare costs money (see the routine high use of antibiotics in animal husbandry in the US - it's a substitute for good husbandry and more expensive systems that involve more, and more expensive, labour).

This isn't a paean to small family farms - I've seen some shockers, where the ignorance of good practice and modern advances has been unpleasant - but efficiencies can come all too easily at a cost to the animals and land under a farmer's care.

Here, since BB gave us a photo, I'll give you one too. This is deemed inefficient, maybe, but having healthy contented livestock is not just about churning out milk at the lowest possible cost.

Due to dodgy farming practices most foreigners I know are deeply suspicious of British meat.

If you google countries with bans on meat exports you will be surprised
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,151

Due to dodgy farming practices most foreigners I know are deeply suspicious of British meat.

Not sure commercially motivated bans and hearsay count as evidence. The mistakes of the 70s and 80s are what have led to us having higher standards than most other countries.

Brian is right. Good animal husbandry and production hygiene is expensive. The quality of husbandry also affects the hygiene of the meat produced, so it's not just a welfare issue. The reason intensively produced meat involves the use of antibiotics is that the closer living conditions mean higher rates of disease and infection. The only way to get cheap meat is to lower standards.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,508
    rjsterry said:

Not sure commercially motivated bans and hearsay count as evidence. The mistakes of the 70s and 80s are what have led to us having higher standards than most other countries.

As are the European Directives under which meat has been produced here for decades
    Wilier Izoard XP