BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Yes the central bank correctly called Ireland to halt a run on all European banks because the Irish regular had been asleep at the wheel more so than the other regulators and indeed, that was proven to be the right decision.

I would have thought had Ierland had their own currency their central bank would have been saying the same thing, *because it was the right thing to do at that moment*. But you can’t have the counter-factual.

(If it makes you feel better, the sudden Swiss regulator efforts to force UBS to buy Credit Suisse was largely precipitated by US and EU regulators trashing the Swiss regulators and putting pressure on them to halt the run now and not in 2 weeks - so you don’t need to share a currency with the EU or even be a member to be pressured into doing things. Geopolitics exists even without the EU)

And a quote from a US president doesn’t mean anything, else I’ll start quoting trump.

There are lots of obvious advantages to political union for Europe but it is wrong and disingenuous to say what Stevo did.

It’s fundamentally an economic agreement with some political oversight - which obviously makes sense as ultimately economic decisions *are* political decisions.

Why did RoI have good austerity?
    Blockbuster Troika loan and some favourable EU help 😜😜😜

Big vat hike, extra taxes on petrol and cars, corporate tax cut, stuck with social security spending but cut govt spending on wages (9% public sector pay cut IIRC).
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,774

Keep digging. You said it was “primarily a political project despite all the economic bells and whistles” when it isn’t and never was.

You clearly have no counter argument if that your response.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538

The EU does have a stated aim of ever closer union. That is not in doubt. However, the goal is always power to the national and particularly regions with Brussels setting the framework and acting as abritrator. Think about the US and the comparible powers of Federal institutions vs States - only the EU has a greater slant towards the powers of the latter.

FWIW, I think the current fractured political climate in the US is showing what a mess the US system is... highly partisan judges chosen at the national level for state courts making judgements that impact on the whole country (see the abortion pill furore, amongst many others). Can you imagine the outcry if a judge in a province of, say, Italy, could, in effect, change have changed law in the UK, when we were in the EU? Obviously, the EU is a long long way away from that sort of intrusion into nations within it, and IMHO has the balance about right.
    The US is still the only democratic superpower. So maybe it has some merit as a model.

I feel like the arguement over whether its a political or economic organisation has been done to death. It's clearly both, but it's also clear that deep economic ties aren't feasible without many of the political ones.

• Stevo_666

Keep digging. You said it was “primarily a political project despite all the economic bells and whistles” when it isn’t and never was.

My understanding is that the Euro (economic) is the mechanism by which the main aim - political union - will ultimately be achieved.

Quite. This is a point I made above and which Rick either doesn't understand or is choosing to ignore.

The economic side comes earlier but it is part of the overall aim of political integration. So while there are economic benefits, they are a means to an end.

Not that it matters for the UK any more, but the EU is probanly counting on million of people in EU member states being as wilfully blind or gullible as him about their political aims.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Rick - All I’ll say is that if you’re arrogant enough to assume that you can learn nothing from the works of Thomas Jefferson then there truly is no hope for you.

Ok where’s the evidence that he’s right?

Did you read what I posted about how the democratically elected Irish government was forced to change policy by the ECB on pain of having liquidity to its banking sector cut off? The ECB controls the currency and therefore they control Ireland when push comes to shove, Thankfully such occurrences are rare. The ECB did the same to Italy and even managed to unseat the PM but as that was Berlisconi, no-one seemed that bothered.

But on a more philosophical notes, Jefferson is still quoted 200+ years later. Not everything he wrote is correct or even still relevant, but such “longevity” surely means he can’t just be dismissed simply because you disagree with him.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,205
    Not that it matters for the UK any more, but the EU is probanly counting on million of people in EU member states being as wilfully blind or gullible as him about their political aims.

Do you genuinely believe this? That there are some EU overlords sitting in a shadowy office in Brussels plotting the takeover of the world?

That's laughable.

The EU needs greater integration to work effectively, but it only gets power from member states, as Brexit proved.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,150
    Stevo_666 said:

My understanding is that the Euro (economic) is the mechanism by which the main aim - political union - will ultimately be achieved.

Quite. This is a point I made above and which Rick either doesn't understand or is choosing to ignore.

The economic side comes earlier but it is part of the overall aim of political integration. So while there are economic benefits, they are a means to an end.

I think it's pretty laughable that either of you think it's possible to have one with out the other. Setting up a trade agreement is a political act. Of course the EU is politically and economically integrated, having been around for a long time. But every trade agreement is political. CPTPP (originally TPP, which pre-Trump included the US) was at least partly set up to try to exert control over China.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826
    Stevo_666 said:

Were you confident that this would not happen because the UK could veto anything it wanted, or just not bothered about it enough at the time to vote to leave?
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

Rick - All I’ll say is that if you’re arrogant enough to assume that you can learn nothing from the works of Thomas Jefferson then there truly is no hope for you.

Did you read what I posted about how the democratically elected Irish government was forced to change policy by the ECB on pain of having liquidity to its banking sector cut off? The ECB controls the currency and therefore they control Ireland when push comes to shove, Thankfully such occurrences are rare. The ECB did the same to Italy and even managed to unseat the PM but as that was Berlisconi, no-one seemed that bothered.

But on a more philosophical notes, Jefferson is still quoted 200+ years later. Not everything he wrote is correct or even still relevant, but such “longevity” surely means he can’t just be dismissed simply because you disagree with him.

Honestly, the quoting someone old and respected and stating it as fact because they are old and respected is a trivial annoyance but anyway it’s a distraction.

Central banks can indeed use their leverage unilaterally but I don’t really see how it’s any different to any other central bank behaviour? The BoE could feasibly bounce the UK government into the same thing.

(The real story in Ireland is that the govt and regulator did not understand how bad their situation was even when it was falling apart all around them - AIB was not just heavily involved in the stuff that brought down Northern Rock, Lehman etc, but they were also just engaged in full blown fraud - they ended up going “cap in hand” to the IMF as a result)

And as per the recent CS and UBS forced acquisition, you don’t even need to share currencies to bounce governments into action.

Hell, if the US decided to sanction the UK and their use of dollars the UK finance sector would fall over very quickly and it’d be carnage, and Britain has its own currency.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Yes the central bank correctly called Ireland to halt a run on all European banks because the Irish regular had been asleep at the wheel more so than the other regulators and indeed, that was proven to be the right decision.

I would have thought had Ierland had their own currency their central bank would have been saying the same thing, *because it was the right thing to do at that moment*. But you can’t have the counter-factual.

(If it makes you feel better, the sudden Swiss regulator efforts to force UBS to buy Credit Suisse was largely precipitated by US and EU regulators trashing the Swiss regulators and putting pressure on them to halt the run now and not in 2 weeks - so you don’t need to share a currency with the EU or even be a member to be pressured into doing things. Geopolitics exists even without the EU)

And a quote from a US president doesn’t mean anything, else I’ll start quoting trump.

There are lots of obvious advantages to political union for Europe but it is wrong and disingenuous to say what Stevo did.

It’s fundamentally an economic agreement with some political oversight - which obviously makes sense as ultimately economic decisions *are* political decisions.

Why did RoI have good austerity?
    Blockbuster Troika loan and some favourable EU help 😜😜😜

Big vat hike, extra taxes on petrol and cars, corporate tax cut, stuck with social security spending but cut govt spending on wages (9% public sector pay cut IIRC).
    Would you have preferred UK austerity to be savage but short?
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867

Rick - All I’ll say is that if you’re arrogant enough to assume that you can learn nothing from the works of Thomas Jefferson then there truly is no hope for you.

Honestly, the quoting someone old and respected and stating it as fact because they are old and respected is a trivial annoyance but anyway it’s a distraction.

Central banks can indeed use their leverage unilaterally but I don’t really see how it’s any different to any other central bank behaviour? The BoE could feasibly bounce the UK government into the same thing.

(The real story in Ireland is that the govt and regulator did not understand how bad their situation was even when it was falling apart all around them - AIB was not just heavily involved in the stuff that brought down Northern Rock, Lehman etc, but they were also just engaged in full blown fraud - they ended up going “cap in hand” to the IMF as a result)

And as per the recent CS and UBS forced acquisition, you don’t even need to share currencies to bounce governments into action.

Hell, if the US decided to sanction the UK and their use of dollars the UK finance sector would fall over very quickly and it’d be carnage, and Britain has its own currency.
    Other than Vietnam we have pretty much done whatever the USA has wanted since WW2
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

Other than Vietnam we have pretty much done whatever the USA has wanted since WW2

Right. Often I sort of feel that the criticism of the EU is a proxy for being unhappy with broader geopolitics which probably would have happened anyway albeit in a different format.

Different nations and central banks leaning on governments is a lever countries and institutions do sometimes use.

Because the lever happens to have an EU badge on it doesn’t mean it’s the EU’s fault necessarily.

A central bank strong arming a government into a certain (correct) action is not that unusual.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,688
    Looks like Stevo might have been right to question the 0.08% lift over ten years for the TPCPPTTPCP deal.

It seems that it *might* be an overestimate, with the methodology chosen to give a better figure.

Sam Lowe, a trade expert and senior visiting fellow at the King's Policy Institute, told The Independent: "While the approach the government has taken is perfectly credible, the change in methodology does seem to have been made with the intention of making the GDP figure sound more impressive."

• rick_chasey
    Anyway, I maintain the issue with closer political union boils down to "I don't trust foreigners" and not much else, as I've not really seen any evidence to the contrary.
  • super_davo

Anyway, I maintain the issue with closer political union boils down to "I don't trust foreigners" and not much else, as I've not really seen any evidence to the contrary.

Agree.
    And it also completely misses the flip side i.e. it's going to happen anyway, because the drivers to do so are overwhelming, so you can either be in the room influencing, or be outside and have to deal with the outcome.
  • Stevo_666

Given that you ignored all the evidence I posted above about EU plans for further political integration, I'm not sure how hard you've looked for anything that goes against your preconceived views on this.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Given that you ignored all the evidence I posted above about EU plans for further political integration, I'm not sure how hard you've looked for anything that goes against your preconceived views on this.
    What's your problem with further political integration?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I've already set out some concerns above.

Why do you want to cede further national decision making powers to a supranational body?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Why do you want to cede further national decision making powers to a supranational body?
    Because I think collectively the political might of all the members of the EU is more powerful than the sum of its parts.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Because I think collectively the political might of all the members of the EU is more powerful than the sum of its parts.
    You were claiming above that the EU is just an economic project...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,826
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

How did you feel about ceding further political powers to the EU in 2016?
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You were claiming above that the EU is just an economic project...
    Yes, believe it or not, my own views on the pros and cons of unionism are irrelevant to what the EU has actually done, as much as I would like it not to be so.
  • rick_chasey
    If you don't like devolution, you know the answer to the advantages of political union.
  • super_davo
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

What powers should be national decision making? That's a fairly fundamental question.

Clearly UK politics isn't working at the moment. Starmer has mentioned the need for reforms, like a new upper chamber and more automony to metropolitan mayors, but given the amount of government bandwidth Brexit has wasted, I can't imagine big constitutional change will be the highest priority item in his in tray in 18months time.

Elsewhere in Europe the direction is generally more powers at regional level, less at national, more at supranational. I would love us to go a similar way, even if the latter part will be a long journey.
  • rick_chasey
    Still maintain in that moment a signifiant part of the brexit vote *wanted* to end the those privileges for people who are middle class enough to be affected by that.
  • As a middle class person I have lots of middle class friends, some of whom were fierce advocates for Brexit despite the amount of time they spent skiing, cycling, kayaking and general holidaying in Europe. I didn't get it then, and still don't.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,538
    Yea, it was a bit of an unholy alliance between the "they need us more than we need them" crowd who seemed to genuinely believe somehow nothing would change and the "idaf because I don't want to exercise my rights" crowd.

Feel like the former deserve more derision.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,412
    The key to the Brexit vote wasn't the middle classes. It was the turnout of those at the bottom of the pile, for whom the status quo wasn't working., and were therefore wiling to risk a change as they felt things couldn't get any worse for them, wrongly or rightly.
    There were far, far higher turnouts from 'council estate inhabitants' (for want of a better expression) that at any UK election.
  • rick_chasey
    edited April 2023

The key to the Brexit vote wasn't the middle classes. It was the turnout of those at the bottom of the pile, for whom the status quo wasn't working., and were therefore wiling to risk a change as they felt things couldn't get any worse for them, wrongly or rightly.
    There were far, far higher turnouts from 'council estate inhabitants' (for want of a better expression) that at any UK election.

FWIW, the book I'm reading (https://amzn.eu/d/afAEBuv ) says the opposite (just read the brexit chapter last night)