BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,941

Ok what is Brexit and what is Brexit “being done”?

Is it or is it not completing the negotiations for the future relationship post EU membership?

If so, on what basis does reopening negotiations on the future arrangement because they didn’t like what they signed a year and a half ago not still Brexit?

Your analogy doesn’t work as it’s an agreement both sides willingly entered, not a sales transaction which has different guarantees and protections

Brexit was about leaving the EU, Brexit is done!!!

If you count the current situation as not done then it will never be done.

It is like going on holiday to find that the brochures were misleading, so you aren't happy with the destination. Walking around the hotel saying you haven't goe on holiday would be ludicrous.

But we heard billions of times that Leaving the EU and staying in either the SM or CU wouldn't be brexit, so clearly brexit means more than just no longer being an EU member.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Jezyboy said:

Is it or is it not completing the negotiations for the future relationship post EU membership?

If so, on what basis does reopening negotiations on the future arrangement because they didn’t like what they signed a year and a half ago not still Brexit?

Your analogy doesn’t work as it’s an agreement both sides willingly entered, not a sales transaction which has different guarantees and protections

It is like going on holiday to find that the brochures were misleading, so you aren't happy with the destination. Walking around the hotel saying you haven't goe on holiday would be ludicrous.

But we heard billions of times that Leaving the EU and staying in either the SM or CU wouldn't be brexit, so clearly brexit means more than just no longer being an EU member.
    It intrigues me that tw@ts who say things like that couldbe in the final of a quiz and be asked "for a million pounds is orway a member of the EU"?

It really is not difficult and people who argue otherwise should be ignored
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    Sounds an awful lot like we're defining what 'rejoin' means...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jezyboy

Jezyboy said:

It intrigues me that tw@ts who say things like that couldbe in the final of a quiz and be asked "for a million pounds is orway a member of the EU"?

I find myself agreeing that those people are indeed tw@ts, but I do also think that it's difficult to claim brexit is done until you have fully negotiated and implemented all the legislation following on from Brexit.

The ongoing apparent saga of the protocol (and status of border checks) does feel like Brexit isn't quite, completely, finished.

I don't necessarily see this as a problem, it's a huge project, it is worth getting right. But if Boris is going to blithely say Brexit is done, when it's not all the way there, then he should be pulled up on it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,304
    Rees-Mogg today: “I also think that, without Boris Johnson, Brexit will not be delivered”

Someone needs to tell him it's already over.
  • surrey_commuter
    Jezyboy said:

Jezyboy said:

I find myself agreeing that those people are indeed tw@ts, but I do also think that it's difficult to claim brexit is done until you have fully negotiated and implemented all the legislation following on from Brexit.

The ongoing apparent saga of the protocol (and status of border checks) does feel like Brexit isn't quite, completely, finished.

I don't necessarily see this as a problem, it's a huge project, it is worth getting right. But if Boris is going to blithely say Brexit is done, when it's not all the way there, then he should be pulled up on it.
    Brexit was and is about leaving the EU.

The USA is continuously redefining it's relationship with the EU.

All of the problems around NI and trade in general are down to us no longer being members of the EU.

Imagine if you bought a car and it suffered a series of problems that were not covered by the warranty. Then imagine that you solve the problem by selling the car and using public transport. If you then find PT too unreliable and start using taxis it does not mean you have rebought your car.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,573
    So Brexit is 'done' but not 'delivered'?

Should have sent it recorded delivery really, it's kind of important.

Rees-Mogg today: “I also think that, without Boris Johnson, Brexit will not be delivered”

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,577

it'll only be over when all the brexiteers' promises are fulfilled

though it's more probable that the earth will be destroyed by vogons before that happens
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Brexit will only be done when

i) There is something - anything - in place that wasn't possible pre-Brexit, the benefit of which clearly exceeds the cost of what has been lost by undergoing Brexit; or

ii) One of the leaders of the Leave campaign acknowledges that Brexit has achieved nothing of substance, not because of the EU or remainers or the establishment oe lefty human rights lawyers, "enemies of the people" judges etc. but because it was fundamentally a flawed concept.

Ergo, it will carry on forever.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,330

Brexit will only be done when

i) There is something - anything - in place that wasn't possible pre-Brexit, the benefit of which clearly exceeds the cost of what has been lost by undergoing Brexit; or

ii) One of the leaders of the Leave campaign acknowledges that Brexit has achieved nothing of substance, not because of the EU or remainers or the establishment oe lefty human rights lawyers, "enemies of the people" judges etc. but because it was fundamentally a flawed concept.

I mean that's not true. Brexit (if we accept that the main definition was leaving the EU) is done.

What is silly is the notion that because we've left we should no longer discuss it.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,949

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pangolin said:

I mean that's not true. Brexit (if we accept that the main definition was leaving the EU) is done.

What is silly is the notion that because we've left we should no longer discuss it.
    That's the politicians' approach do "doing something" though I'd say. i.e. make an announcement, introduce new legislation etc, lose interest and move onto messing something else up. What counts in the real world is "making things happen" with the caveat that in the case of Brexit, these things should collectively be demonstrably beneficial to the country as a whole.

As an analogy, Mrs W&G once said to me "Let's get parenting done" (or words to that effect.) Some time later - the transition period was 9 months I think, with no 2nd referendum - we became parents, but nearly 20 years later, the project is still ongoing in terms of making the world a better place by how we've brought up our kids.

The "Brexit is done" viewpoint is equivalent to a couple of feckless oiks having a quickie and then abandoning the resulting issue because they'd prefer to go clubbing.
  • pangolin
    edited June 2022

pangolin said:

That's the politicians' approach do "doing something" though I'd say. i.e. make an announcement, introduce new legislation etc, lose interest and move onto messing something else up. What counts in the real world is "making things happen" with the caveat that in the case of Brexit, these things should collectively be demonstrably beneficial to the country as a whole.

As an analogy, Mrs W&G once said to me "Let's get parenting done" (or words to that effect.) Some time later - the transition period was 9 months I think, with no 2nd referendum - we became parents, but nearly 20 years later, the project is still ongoing in terms of making the world a better place by how we've brought up our kids.

The "Brexit is done" viewpoint is equivalent to a couple of feckless oiks having a quickie and then abandoning the resulting issue because they'd prefer to go clubbing.
    What is Brexit then, when would it be done? Or is it a catchall for the situation the UK is in from leaving the EU until the end of time?

Parenting is another poor analogy, you never stop being a parent.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,746

Exactly.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Jezyboy
    I guess (most of) the family still went on holiday!
  • kingstongraham
    The remainer still had to deal with all the problems.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

What is Brexit then, when would it be done? Or is it a catchall for the situation the UK is in from leaving the EU until the end of time?

I'm assuming the rubbish analogies are for comic effect now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • surrey_commuter
    ddraver said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I'm assuming the rubbish analogies are for comic effect now...
    A rubbish analogy is like a rubbish cheeseboard...
  • surrey_commuter
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I think that is the point of the analogy. The birth is Brexit and then you deal with the consequences until the end of time.
  • kingstongraham

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

I think that is the point of the analogy. The birth is Brexit and then you deal with the consequences until the end of time.
    Obviously in both cases, that does not apply if you are Boris Johnson.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

The Middle Ages lasted a long time but did come to an end. I wonder if the Brexit Ages will have a better innings.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,661
    Middle Ages is an odd term, one for the Trivially Intriguing thread I think.
  • pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Almost - one could realistically hope (if you do a good job as a parent day-to-day) that by the time your kids are in their mid 20s that they will be fully responsible for their own actions and that outside of freak medical / health issues, you don't actually have to do anything for them, even though you can still invite them on holidays, help out with childcare / DIY etc. because it's actually a nice thing to do together. Conversely, if you knock out a couple of kids and then don't take your parenting responsibilities seriously, then they'll run wild and cause havoc so you'll be repeatedly collecting them from school, police stations etc. and/or paying for the damage that they cause before they come back and live with you in their 30s having run out of money and friends, and are also unemployable.
  • Jezyboy

"Also it's come to my attention that if anyone remotely competent was leader, I'll be sent to the back benches quicker than one can say Victorian cosplayer."
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,796
    Pross said:

Middle Ages is an odd term, one for the Trivially Intriguing thread I think.

Between Ancient and Renaissance.

Medieval means the same, I think.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,746
    edited June 2022
    Are you absolutely sure you did a history degree? 😉

Prehistory > Antiquity > Medieval > Modern.

Renaissance counts as Early Modern.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,796
    Sure, we're not disagreeing here.
  • kingstongraham
    I heard an interview with rees mogg on 5live, it really feels like they are governing based on what is in the best interests of Brexit, not Britain.

It's odd.

Fwiw, I think Brexit is done, and they should move on.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,673
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Just dropping in to rake over the dying embers.

What, of Brexit?

I think most people have given up on any positives coming out of it. Perhaps Goo could rename this the Brexit Damage Limitation Thread. Or the Deny It's Brexit Causing Chaos Thread.

If Brexit is done why is the same govt renegotiating the NI protocol?
    It might help you understand better to draw an analogy with a car sale. A car dealer sells a car to a customer: the customer later brings it back for some minor repairs under warranty.

You claiming that Brexit isn't done is a bit like claiming that the above car sale has not completed because the car needs some warranty work. Clearly not the case...

Your analogy ignores that we drove off leaving one of the four wheels at the dealership.
    Nice one for being witty, but it doesn’t change the underlying point, which I notice you're not countering ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,673

What warranty anyway?

Who enforces the warranty? It’s a stupid analogy for a simple problem.

No, it's a simple analogy so you can understand. Well hopefully.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]