Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,928

It has nothing to do with Brexit.

Well, Brexit is mentioned in their 'threats' analysis

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

Article says: By 2027, half of the parts content going into EVs and hybrids will need to be sourced locally — either from the EU or UK — to qualify for tariff-free trade.
    The issue is being close to a battery plant.
  • briantrumpet

Article says: By 2027, half of the parts content going into EVs and hybrids will need to be sourced locally — either from the EU or UK — to qualify for tariff-free trade.

But "Nothing to do with Brexit", when JLR's analysis specifically refers to it? Could it be that the battery plant is more likely to be in the EU than the UK because of Brexit? You know, in a big free trade area, where it's easy to move things around??
  • TheBigBean

But "Nothing to do with Brexit", when JLR's analysis specifically refers to it? Could it be that the battery plant is more likely to be in the EU than the UK because of Brexit? You know, in a big free trade area, where it's easy to move things around??
    You could always read the article.
  • briantrumpet

Does JLR's risk analysis mention Brexit?
  • briantrumpet
    From the article:

As the move to electric vehicles redraws manufacturing maps, the UK is endangered by scarce supply of raw materials, expensive energy, meager government incentives and potential Brexit-related tariffs. While the country has pumped hundreds of millions of pounds into battery-technology research, this has spurred minimal production.

Do you think it's possible that despite the "hundreds of millions of pounds" pumped into the sector in the UK, that battery producers see it's more sensible to home their production in the much larger free-trade area of the EU? And therefore that car producers will follow suit?

Are you still sure of your "nothing to do with Brexit"?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266

The article says that the Brexit trade deal complicates matters, in that it makes it more complicated to qualify for tariff free trade in both batteries and cars.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    This would be absolutely devastating for Coventry and the Midlands.

There are plans for a huge giga-factory on the old Coventry airport site which would help but needs massive investment. This would negate the 'being near to a battery plant argument' as it is perfectly placed for Gaydon and Castle Bromwich

JLR have been outsourcing more and more to Slovakia over the last few years. I don't think there is any one major reason, Brexit is certainly one of the issues though.
  • TheBigBean
    edited May 2022

The article says that the Brexit trade deal complicates matters, in that it makes it more complicated to qualify for tariff free trade in both batteries and cars.
    Yes, it also says this which is the main point. The relevance of nearby isn't about tariffs and markets, it's about distance it needs to travel. I imagine they would like some subsidies.

Electric vehicles pose a chicken-and-egg dilemma. Carmakers are reluctant to build new factories or retool existing ones to make EVs without a battery facility onsite or nearby. Battery manufacturers in turn are generally unwilling to invest billions of dollars to set up a plant without reliable customers within short range
  • kingstongraham
    What have we learnt recently?
  • TheBigBean

What have we learnt recently?

Other people on the internet are frequently wrong?
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022
    Throw a big rock in the water, and ripples will happen. It might not be the immediate single factor, but it's quoted as being a factor.
  • TheBigBean

Throw a big rock in the water, and ripples will happen. It might not be the immediate single factor, but it's quoted as being a factor.

Sure. Perhaps I should have phrased it as "Brexit is a long way from being the biggest factor".

Sourcing batteries at the moment is very hard.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Fundamentally, at the root of all 1941+ pages is the simple, boring truth that the EU is a good idea...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925
    Hang on. A large part of the leavers argument was that Turkey was going to join the EU. Now, we want to create our own special EU that has Turkey as a member.

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Not sure why the Baltic states have been dragged into it
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Classic Monty python.

Just swap Judean Peoples Front for European Union.

Are you the European Union?

@ Off. We’re the Union of Europe.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    ddraver said:

Fundamentally, at the root of all 1941+ pages is the simple, boring truth that the EU is a good idea...

Oh great. Another vague hand wavey feelgood idea that will go nowhere. Levelling up 2.0.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited May 2022

He just means NATO members
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Would it not be simpler to call it NATO
  • rick_chasey

Would it not be simpler to call it NATO
    You need to think of him as blerting stuff spontaneously out of his mouth.

I’m sure he fancies a European “commonwealth” and he’s probably spent more time recently thinking about NATO.

I doubt he spent more than 10 seconds thinking about it
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    By December 1941, Germany had conquered most of mainland Europe, from France in the west to the outskirts of Moscow in the Soviet Union in the east. When the United States entered the war after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor that month, World War II became a truly global war.
    https://www.facinghistory.org/holocaust-and-human-behavior/chapter-8/europe-germany-s-grasp#:~:text=By December 1941, Germany had,became a truly global war.
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    edited May 2022
    I see what you did there focuszing723!

And the picture does remind me of someone else.. Ah yes..

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    5 to 10 minutes of The Dom Show...

https://unherd.com/2022/05/dominic-cummings-i-dont-like-parties/

Quite a person...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    I find myself warning to him, which is worrying. Still has a major blind spot on his involvement in creating the pre-Johnson mess in the first place.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rjsterry said:

I find myself warning to him, which is worrying. Still has a major blind spot on his involvement in creating the pre-Johnson mess in the first place.

He has multiple blind spots.

The idea that the institutions are creaking “which justified Brexit” is moronic with any basic understanding of Brexit and the realised consequences of it.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,925
    Jacob Rees Mogg has come up with his 9 most promising Brexit ideas...

1. Encourage fracking, shortcut rules on planning consultation via emergency act.
    2. Abolish the EU regulations that restrict vacuum cleaner power to 1400 watts.
    3. Remove precautionary principle restrictions (for instance) on early use of experimental treatments for seriously ill patients and GM crops.
    4. Abolish rules around the size of vans that need an operator's licence.
    5. Abolish EU limits on electrical power levels of electrically assisted pedal cycles.
    6. Allow certain medical professionals, such as pharmacists and paramedics, to qualify in three years.
    7. Remove requirements for agency workers to have all the attributes of a permanent employee.
    8. Simplify the calculation of holiday pay (eg 12.07 percent of pay) to make it easier for businesses to operate.
    9. Reduce requirements for businesses to conduct fixed wire testing and portable application testing.

I'm surprised that he didn't go for 10 things, but then again the vacuum cleaner idea suggests he was really scraping the bottom of the barrel to get up to 9.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    I think number 10 would have been something to do with allowing 4 year olds up chimneys.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    Jezyboy said:

I'm surprised that he didn't go for 10 things, but then again the vacuum cleaner idea suggests he was really scraping the bottom of the barrel to get up to 9.

10 would be decimal. Can't be having that. No doubt he really wanted 12.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.