2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited June 2022
    ddraver said:

5 to 10 minutes of The Dom Show...

https://unherd.com/2022/05/dominic-cummings-i-dont-like-parties/

Quite a person...

Cheers Raver, that was an interesting read from behind the scenes. I like the way he made no BS stories up about his personal life either, It seemed blunt and realistically to the point.

I still think he's a pr@ with regards Barnard Castle though.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    perhaps more fracking in Somerset where he is an MP would be good. he could lead by example.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,615
    amrushton said:

perhaps more fracking in Somerset where he is an MP would be good. he could lead by example.

Shows how safe/rotten his seat.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    edited June 2022
    Hmmm, technically it could be possible in Somerset...

I wonder how deep the Mercia Mudstone is there. (If its there at all, which now I think about it...it probably isn't :( )
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,919

amrushton said:

Shows how safe/rotten his seat.
    Except Somerset usually has a very strong Lib-Dem vote, and yes I know he has an almost 15,000 majority, but that's as much down to how sh!t the Lim Dem leadership is as anything else.
  • rick_chasey
    Tell you what people congregate together - on a 150m walk to the shops I counted 4 houses with anti- Boris things in their window.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Yep, same here, there were at least five houses with metre rulers in their windows.
  • ddraver
    edited June 2022
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    I endorse this Tory MP message
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    To read it is no surprise, it was inevitable at some point to my mind, but it has come a lot sooner than I expected.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,638
    Jezyboy said:

Jacob Rees Mogg has come up with his 9 most promising Brexit ideas...

1. Encourage fracking, shortcut rules on planning consultation via emergency act.
    2. Abolish the EU regulations that restrict vacuum cleaner power to 1400 watts.
    3. Remove precautionary principle restrictions (for instance) on early use of experimental treatments for seriously ill patients and GM crops.
    4. Abolish rules around the size of vans that need an operator's licence.
    5. Abolish EU limits on electrical power levels of electrically assisted pedal cycles.
    6. Allow certain medical professionals, such as pharmacists and paramedics, to qualify in three years.
    7. Remove requirements for agency workers to have all the attributes of a permanent employee.
    8. Simplify the calculation of holiday pay (eg 12.07 percent of pay) to make it easier for businesses to operate.
    9. Reduce requirements for businesses to conduct fixed wire testing and portable application testing.

I'm surprised that he didn't go for 10 things, but then again the vacuum cleaner idea suggests he was really scraping the bottom of the barrel to get up to 9.

Is this not a list of things that have minimal impact on anyone ever?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    ddraver said:

I wonder how deep the Mercia Mudstone is there. (If its there at all, which now I think about it...it probably isn't :( )

Plenty of coal there - the Somerset Coal Field was where whotsisname formulated the idea of geological strata.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy

To read it is no surprise, it was inevitable at some point to my mind, but it has come a lot sooner than I expected.

Elwood has always been a remainer and has submitted his letter to the 1922 Committee Chair. He is no fan of Brexit or of Boris.
  • rick_chasey

Elwood has always been a remainer and has submitted his letter to the 1922 Committee Chair. He is no fan of Brexit or of Boris.
    To his credit.

At least there are some Tories who have a sensible head.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

Plenty of coal there - the Somerset Coal Field was where whotsisname formulated the idea of geological strata.
    I’m pleasantly surprised with how comprehensive this list is. Mitigates the many hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of pounds I’ve had to squander on Brexit related beaurocracy and carriage.

I’d vote for Tobias Elwood in a heartbeat.
  • skyblueamateur

Always difficult to not sound like I’m being sarcastic online but @Dorset_Boy I really enjoy your views on things and often agree. Do you believe Brexit has been a success?

I’m always interested in opposing views and other perspectives.
  • Dorset_Boy

Always difficult to not sound like I’m being sarcastic online but @Dorset_Boy I really enjoy your views on things and often agree. Do you believe Brexit has been a success?

No it hasn't and I didn't vote for it.
    However, with the result as it was I didn't believe in crying over split milk but in trying to make the best of it.
    I also think it was a huge mistake having Boris appointed leader - Jeremy Hunt was light years ahead as a candidate, and would love to see him and Elwood take the party back.
    Sadly the current leadership groups of all the parties is pretty sh!te.
  • ddraver
    rjsterry said:

ddraver said:

Hmmm, that's not so bad. Close to surface though so all the fracking will have been done naturally... 😕

Excellent K-nowledge tho. 10/10!
    - @ddraver
  • skyblueamateur

No it hasn't and I didn't vote for it.
    However, with the result as it was I didn't believe in crying over split milk but in trying to make the best of it.
    I also think it was a huge mistake having Boris appointed leader - Jeremy Hunt was light years ahead as a candidate, and would love to see him and Elwood take the party back.
    Sadly the current leadership groups of all the parties is pretty sh!te.
    Apologies, I hope I didn’t come across as being sarcastic. I was aware you weren’t one of the doom and gloomers regarding Brexit but am aware that doesn’t make Farage-esque at the same time.

I think I was probably a lot closer in belief to yourself. I always believed this would be a sh1tshow but after the vote was keen to engage and believed in pragmatism and getting the best deal possible. Unfortunately my initial instincts were probably more accurate.

Hunt and Elwood would have me voting Conservative I think. I just want competence.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,596
    rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

1. Encourage fracking, shortcut rules on planning consultation via emergency act.
    3. Remove precautionary principle restrictions (for instance) on early use of experimental treatments for seriously ill patients and GM crops.
    5. Abolish EU limits on electrical power levels of electrically assisted pedal cycles.
    6. Allow certain medical professionals, such as pharmacists and paramedics, to qualify in three years.
    7. Remove requirements for agency workers to have all the attributes of a permanent employee.
    8. Simplify the calculation of holiday pay (eg 12.07 percent of pay) to make it easier for businesses to operate.
    9. Reduce requirements for businesses to conduct fixed wire testing and portable application testing.

I'm surprised that he didn't go for 10 things, but then again the vacuum cleaner idea suggests he was really scraping the bottom of the barrel to get up to 9.

The gene editing of crops is reasonably significant, but unlikely to directly impact many.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,482
    ddraver said:

Fundamentally, at the root of all 1941+ pages is the simple, boring truth that the EU is a good idea...

Maybe you should have made the point a bit better 6 years ago? It's a bit late now...

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Jezyboy said:

The gene editing of crops is reasonably significant, but unlikely to directly impact many.
    Yes, fair point. Although it's unclear whether anything you could describe as a policy will emerge. The whole anti-GM (but 'natural' cross breeding is fine) thing is just so Luddite.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Fundamentally, at the root of all 1941+ pages is the simple, boring truth that the EU is a good idea...

Maybe you should have made the point a bit better 6 years ago? It's a bit late now...

Is it next week already?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,482
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

ddraver said:

Is it next week already?
    Just dropping in to rake over the dying embers.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,866
    Stevo_666 said:

What, of Brexit?

I think most people have given up on any positives coming out of it. Perhaps Goo could rename this the Brexit Damage Limitation Thread. Or the Deny It's Brexit Causing Chaos Thread.

• rick_chasey

Stevo_666 said:

What, of Brexit?

I think most people have given up on any positives coming out of it. Perhaps Goo could rename this the Brexit Damage Limitation Thread. Or the Deny It's Brexit Causing Chaos Thread.

If Brexit is done why is the same govt renegotiating the NI protocol?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Stevo_666 said:

What, of Brexit?

If Brexit is done why is the same govt renegotiating the NI protocol?
    Because it’s specifically done or not done on a case by base basis dependent on which outcome owns the libs the most.
  • ddraver
    I've been pondering if the end of Johnson, whenever it comes, marks the start of the rejoin campaign.

The way the few remaining prominent brexiters are trying to tie brexit to him so tightly is making me think I might be significantly underestimating it...
    - @ddraver