BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    edited January 2022

I'm not sure it changes much from an EU perspective

The position remains the same

The EU outsourced protection of the Single Market to UK and they can't 'make them' do it

But they can't make them do it due to the democratic systems set up by the BA/GFA. That's different from the UK government playing games.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941

The EU outsourced protection of the Single Market to UK and they can't 'make them' do it

But they can't make them do it due to the democratic systems set up by the BA/GFA. That's different from the UK government playing games.
    Responsibility for implementation of checks as per the agreement still rests with the UK Gov.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean

Responsibility for implementation of checks as per the agreement still rests with the UK Gov.

How does the UK government do that with the latest development?
  • tailwindhome

How does the UK government do that with the latest development?
    Move the checks to GB
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    Brexit upside #8 - You can still get full colour tattoos.
    Brexit upside #9 - Paying farmers to rewild. This was probably possible pre-Brexit, but the UK now has control over CAP payments, so can adjust as necessary.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Brexit upside #9 - Paying farmers to rewild. This was probably possible pre-Brexit, but the UK now has control over CAP payments, so can adjust as necessary.

Yeah we will all love eating all those delicious rewilding programmes. Its gonna be awesome spunking the public purse into more nice things to look. Natural England will currently be looking at more methods to spend the UK taxpayers cash on questionable projects.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    Now #9 is actually a good one. Needs more detail though and really not sure why we are still only at the 'big ideas' stage. We've had 5 years to look at this now.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    BB, can we summarise your benefits as "sovereignty!!!"?

It's much easier all round.
  • Brexit upside #8 - You can still get full colour tattoos.

Re: #8

https://consultations.hse.gov.uk/crd-reach/restriction-proposals-002/

"HSE intends to examine the evidence presented in the restriction dossier prepared by ECHA along with other available information, particularly where it describes the situation in Great Britain (GB), to decide if a restriction on certain harmful chemicals in tattoo inks and PMU is an appropriate regulatory measure for GB. HSE will analyse the risks to human health presented by certain chemicals if they are used in tattoo ink or PMU, the availability of alternatives and the socio-economic impacts of a possible restriction if this was implemented in GB."
  • TheBigBean

"HSE intends to examine the evidence presented in the restriction dossier prepared by ECHA along with other available information, particularly where it describes the situation in Great Britain (GB), to decide if a restriction on certain harmful chemicals in tattoo inks and PMU is an appropriate regulatory measure for GB. HSE will analyse the risks to human health presented by certain chemicals if they are used in tattoo ink or PMU, the availability of alternatives and the socio-economic impacts of a possible restriction if this was implemented in GB."
    Yes, could be a short-lived Brexit upside although I read there was some dispute about the science, so they may not come to the same conclusion.
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Now #9 is actually a good one. Needs more detail though and really not sure why we are still only at the 'big ideas' stage. We've had 5 years to look at this now.

I don't think that is fair. They've really had one year since they've known what was in the TCA, and that year has mostly been spent implementing the agreement and dealing with covid. Plus, things in government take time. They always do. Internal approvals, public consultations etc.
  • Brexit upside #8 - You can still get full colour tattoos.

Yes, could be a short-lived Brexit upside although I read there was some dispute about the science, so they may not come to the same conclusion.
    I struggle to see "our citizens will continue to be able to be injected with hazardous chemicals while the meddling EU put a stop to it" as a great upside.
  • TheBigBean

I struggle to see "our citizens will continue to be able to be injected with hazardous chemicals while the meddling EU put a stop to it" as a great upside.
    I could easily see how aspects of this particular story could be added to the downsides list. However, to the extent I understand the issue the arguments that it is a positive are (i) the chemicals may not be hazardous, so it is a loss of freedom (ii) there are no alternatives, so those seeking tattoos will turn to less regulated providers who will continue to use the same hazardous chemicals (iii) the reputable ones will simply go out of business.

To be fair, I'm more confident on the foie gras issue.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    edited January 2022

I'm currently wondering how many anti-vaxxers have or would get colour tattoos.

To be fair, I'm more confident on the foie gras issue.

Which is pretty much irrelevant to the majority of people in this country.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2022
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I must say how difficult it is here, walking through town trying to get some shopping done but being foiled and force-fed foie gras by roving gangs of geese farmers...

They're merciless I tell you!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • john80 said:

Yeah we will all love eating all those delicious rewilding programmes. Its gonna be awesome spunking the public purse into more nice things to look. Natural England will currently be looking at more methods to spend the UK taxpayers cash on questionable projects.
    I am starting to think you are in the top quartile of people I agree with on here
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202

🐟🥱🚗⛽🔌🔋

• rjsterry

rjsterry said:

I don't think that is fair. They've really had one year since they've known what was in the TCA, and that year has mostly been spent implementing the agreement and dealing with covid. Plus, things in government take time. They always do. Internal approvals, public consultations etc.
    If as you suggested, we could have made a start before we left, I think they could have more than vague ideas about subsidies for re-wilding and replanting hedges by now. It's a welcome direction but somewhat underwhelming.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

If as you suggested, we could have made a start before we left, I think they could have more than vague ideas about subsidies for re-wilding and replanting hedges by now. It's a welcome direction but somewhat underwhelming.
    I am intrigued to know why you are so confident that they will implement this scheme with no lunatic unintended (or otherwise) consequences?
  • rjsterry
    edited January 2022

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

I am intrigued to know why you are so confident that they will implement this scheme with no lunatic unintended (or otherwise) consequences?
    I'm not. I'm not confident that they will implement anything. It's just vague wishes at the moment.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Edward Leigh MP realising that Brexit means more visas for Indians was fun.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

What you mean is Brexit positive #10 Multi-cultural immigration
  • rjsterry said:

can I check whether these are all personal to yourself ? as obviously everybody'slist would be different.
  • TheBigBean

rjsterry said:

can I check whether these are all personal to yourself ? as obviously everybody'slist would be different.
    Good question. I'm not in the market for a tattoo, so not all personal to me. I can see that not everyone will agree they are positives. Hopefully, on average, they will be considered positives.
  • pblakeney

rjsterry said:

Good question. I'm not in the market for a tattoo, so not all personal to me. I can see that not everyone will agree they are positives. Hopefully, on average, they will be considered positives.
    The people I know who voted for Brexit are very much against multi-cultural immigration. Gives me a good laugh so that is a positive. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2022

rjsterry said:

Surely at best it's net neutral, as it is to compensate for increased difficulty for EU citizens?

• rick_chasey
    You gonna share the costs as well BB?
  • tailwindhome
    I don't understand how visas for Indian citizens is either a cost or benefit of Brexit

What's Brexit got to do with it?