BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608

FTA agreements dont create alot of growth. The deal with the eu through membership gives a decent boost still only worth 1% or so of gdp I believe. It may be more but less than ones thinks. a gooddealwitht the usa will add maybe 0.2% to gdp. Not to besniffes at but nothing to get excited about either. Most of us wont notice. Trade with the rest of world is even less significant. Trade deals already exist with many coj tries through the eu so bilateral deals will be merely replacing existing deals but perhaps not on the same terms perhaps not as favourable for the u.k

If the point of leaving the eu is trade deals then the public are going to be disappointed at how little difference they make to public.

Looking at your point from the other angle, people may be pleasantly surprised at how little negative effect leaving the EU has on them. Contrary to the sort of scenarios put forward in here.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Some interesting amendment getting cross party backing from the NI MPs

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    😊 Nurn Ironed politicos had their spell in the magic money tree but cut off the branch they were sitting on by screwing over the Maybot. So now who cares? Maybe they should be focussed on getting the ear of (S)Cummings?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Some interesting amendment getting cross party backing from the NI MPs

Have to laugh that they have a pre-requisite approval of the paralysed NI assembly in the proposed legislation.

Arguably a conflict of interests if by not sitting in the NI assembly they could block legislation they don’t like.

• Stevo_666 said:

FTA agreements dont create alot of growth. The deal with the eu through membership gives a decent boost still only worth 1% or so of gdp I believe. It may be more but less than ones thinks. a gooddealwitht the usa will add maybe 0.2% to gdp. Not to besniffes at but nothing to get excited about either. Most of us wont notice. Trade with the rest of world is even less significant. Trade deals already exist with many coj tries through the eu so bilateral deals will be merely replacing existing deals but perhaps not on the same terms perhaps not as favourable for the u.k

If the point of leaving the eu is trade deals then the public are going to be disappointed at how little difference they make to public.

Looking at your point from the other angle, people may be pleasantly surprised at how little negative effect leaving the EU has on them. Contrary to the sort of scenarios put forward in here.
    The pleasantness of their surprise would be inversely proportionate to their understanding of compound growth
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

The pleasantness of their surprise would be inversely proportionate to their understanding of compound growth
    Given the percentages and timescales they are unlikely to notice. That's before you consider there is no alternative timeline to compare to (I.e. no way they can see what it would have been like had we not left) - hence no reference point.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Given the percentages and timescales they are unlikely to notice. That's before you consider there is no alternative timeline to compare to (I.e. no way they can see what it would have been like had we not left) - hence no reference point.
    Is that directed at me or yourself?

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    edited January 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Are plenty of educated people who are very good at working this out and their results have been posted here *so many times*.

It's quite clear that it's knocked off what the predictions in the referendum knocked off.

3 days before the ref, this was also very accurate.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

At you. Not sure why you needed to ask as I quoted your post?
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Are plenty of educated people who are very good at working this out and their results have been posted here *so many times*.

It's quite clear that it's knocked off what the predictions in the referendum knocked off.

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Missing the point. Clearly alternative timelines aren't visible. And do you really think that in 5 or 10 years time anyone will be able to say with any authority what might have happened if we hadn't left?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    You're arguing because something didn't happen it's impossible to model, and I'm saying not only is that not true, but those models have shown to forecast the impact quite accurately.

How is that not the point?
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    Aside from the point that you are quoting figures related to periods before we have even left, it's a simple case of how will we know that far out what might have been. just because someone can get a couple years worth of data and extrapolate does not make it reliable for forecasting the medium to longer term future.

As I said above, we simply won't know what would have happened economically if we had stayed. Hence my statement re: the lack of reference point.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092
    I would suggest something more basic: if in 5 years time real terms median incomes haven't improved significantly, people will notice. At that point, whether it is due to Brexit or something else will be rather beside the point.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • If I stop exercising and start drinking heavily, I predict a result would be that my general health will be worse. If I were in that reality, I couldn't be certain that the two were related, because I wouldn't know that I wouldn't have been caught in a collapsing building and been in a coma.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    I'm just glad that my expensive asteroid forcefield appears to be working.
    No hits yet. Touch wood.
    Yes, I am being ridiculous to make a point.
    Point being that if something doesn't happen then it is impossible to pinpoint the cause. Once something happens is the time to realise the fault.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Which is not to say that we should not be aware of confirmation bias or any of the other tricks the brain plays on us.

I just read this in the Kahneman book "Once you adopt a new view of the world, you immediately lose much of your ability to recall what you used to believe before your mind changed."

Think this describes both sides on most debates, definitely this one. Even as people become less moderate, they entirely forget how they used to be. Try telling people on either side that they would have accepted the single market as a reasonable compromise 3 years ago.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092

If I stop exercising and start drinking heavily, I predict a result would be that my general health will be worse. If I were in that reality, I couldn't be certain that the two were related, because I wouldn't know that I wouldn't have been caught in a collapsing building and been in a coma.

You could demonstrate a causal link by identifying and isolating all the other possible contributing factors. To do this you would need a representative group of willing volunteers to follow the same lifestyle changes plus a control group.

If we split the country with one half leaving and the other remaining, we could answer the question fairly conclusively.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

At you. Not sure why you needed to ask as I quoted your post?
    but I was replying to your post... your second post was knocking the logic of your first post
  • rjsterry said:

If I stop exercising and start drinking heavily, I predict a result would be that my general health will be worse. If I were in that reality, I couldn't be certain that the two were related, because I wouldn't know that I wouldn't have been caught in a collapsing building and been in a coma.

You could demonstrate a causal link by identifying and isolating all the other possible contributing factors. To do this you would need a representative group of willing volunteers to follow the same lifestyle changes plus a control group.

If we split the country with one half leaving and the other remaining, we could answer the question fairly conclusively.
    We'd need one country of the UK's size to leave and other countries of a similar size to remain for it to be reliable.
  • If I stop exercising and start drinking heavily, I predict a result would be that my general health will be worse. If I were in that reality, I couldn't be certain that the two were related, because I wouldn't know that I wouldn't have been caught in a collapsing building and been in a coma.

An even better example would be if Froome declined to ride in the peloton at next year's TdF. Most people would forecast that his results will be negatively impacted, if it turned out that his results were negatively impacted then the odd diehard would still argue that it was not due to riding solo and that it can not be proved.

In economic terms it really is that obvious. It is so obvious that no member of the Leave leadership is arguing otherwise.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536

What if after several months of heavy drinking with no exercise you find god/whatever and become far healthier than you are now?
  • tailwindhome
    What information should the trade negotiators be using to negotiate the trade deal?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    I guess we'll never really know if the country was better off with Mr Johnson or Mr Corbyn.

• pblakeney

rjsterry said:

We'd need one country of the UK's size to leave and other countries of a similar size to remain for it to be reliable.
    If we are talking GDP then France is close enough to use as a comparison.
    I'm too lazy to do the comparison though.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

How much did France undershoot in 2019 the forecast that was made in 2016?

You are intentionally trying to mislead if you take the UK forecasts if we had remained as gospel. None of the forecasts predicted the global slowdown that affected advanced economies in 2018/19
  • Stevo_666
    rjsterry said:

I would suggest something more basic: if in 5 years time real terms median incomes haven't improved significantly, people will notice. At that point, whether it is due to Brexit or something else will be rather beside the point.

Agree, there are simply too many variables to know what is impacting the real world result. However several people don't seem to understand that its a bit tricky to compare this to a non-existent timeline (i.e. the scenario where we stay). As above, lots of variables and none of them measurable after we leave. Who knows what might happen over several years?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

You are intentionally trying to mislead if you take the UK forecasts if we had remained as gospel. None of the forecasts predicted the global slowdown that affected advanced economies in 2018/19
    See, you made me look. Now look at the actual figures, not forecasts.
    France GDP 2016 2.465t USD, 2018 2.780t USD.
    UK GDP 2016 2.651t USD, 2018 2.110t USD.
    Figures for 2019 are not available yet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • What information should the trade negotiators be using to negotiate the trade deal?

If it was me I would list all industries by size (cash and jobs) and then calculate how important access to the SM is to each. Then I would do the same for the E.U. and access to the UK. I would also work out the small E.U. industries with the biggest clout.

• Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

See, you made me look. Now look at the actual figures, not forecasts.
    France GDP 2016 2.465t USD, 2018 2.780t USD.
    UK GDP 2016 2.651t USD, 2018 2.110t USD.
    Figures for 2019 are not available yet.
    I'm sure you realise that GDP stated in a foreign currency will contain foreign exchange fluctuations.

Let's use domestic currency for each country and you will see it paints a rather different picture:
    UK
    https://statista.com/statistics/281744/gdp-of-the-united-kingdom-uk-since-2000/

France
    https://statista.com/statistics/469624/france-gdp/

Based on this, the UK has grown its faster than France over the 2016-2018 period and has a larger GDP based on current exchange rates.

C'est la vie, as we say in England.
  • pblakeney
    Which is why I used a common neutral currency to smooth out currency fluctuations.
    Lies, damned lies, and statistics, eh?
    Veronese68 wrote: