BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,612
    pblakeney said:

Which is why I used a common neutral currency to smooth out currency fluctuations.
    Lies, damned lies, and statistics, eh?

Sterling depreciated against the US Dollar in the period whereas the Euro appreciated against the dollar over the same period. So giving the impression of negative UK growth, which is simply not the case.

How convenient.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,974
    It could be asked why did the Pound drop and the Euro rise?
    Not so convenient?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

If I stop exercising and start drinking heavily, I predict a result would be that my general health will be worse. If I were in that reality, I couldn't be certain that the two were related, because I wouldn't know that I wouldn't have been caught in a collapsing building and been in a coma.

You could demonstrate a causal link by identifying and isolating all the other possible contributing factors. To do this you would need a representative group of willing volunteers to follow the same lifestyle changes plus a control group.

If we split the country with one half leaving and the other remaining, we could answer the question fairly conclusively.
    We'd need one country of the UK's size to leave and other countries of a similar size to remain for it to be reliable.
    If we are talking GDP then France is close enough to use as a comparison.
    I'm too lazy to do the comparison though.
    How much did France undershoot in 2019 the forecast that was made in 2016?

You are intentionally trying to mislead if you take the UK forecasts if we had remained as gospel. None of the forecasts predicted the global slowdown that affected advanced economies in 2018/19
    See, you made me look. Now look at the actual figures, not forecasts.
    France GDP 2016 2.465t USD, 2018 2.780t USD.
    UK GDP 2016 2.651t USD, 2018 2.110t USD.
    Figures for 2019 are not available yet.
    That's quite a fake recession your figures are attempting to portray with roughly a 20% reduction in GDP.

Now how has it been in the real world rather than your made up manipulation?
  • pblakeney
    How unfortunate is it that they are the real genuine figures then?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    pblakeney said:

It could be asked why did the Pound drop and the Euro rise?
    Not so convenient?

Reasons not related to GDP growth - as you can see from the figures that don't include FX distortions.

Do you really think that UK GDP fell in that period without any recession?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2020
    In relation to other currencies? Yes, clearly.
    This is the World that we live in, not isolation, but in relation.
    When we go to make great trade deals with the Trumpster what denomination will be most relevant?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    As Stevo keeps pointing out, the argument whether we will be better/worse off in 5 years time is moot.
    It is not as though Jim Bowen could walk on and announce,"This is what you could have won" is it?
  • pblakeney
    I thought we had moved on to reality.
    Never mind, carry on with dreamscapes.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ballysmate
    The reality is that we will be leaving for better or worse.Get used to it.
    Not my choice, not yours, but there it is.
    Trying to work out some arbitrary scale of comparison is really futile.
  • pblakeney
    I accept it. I'm used to it. I don't have to like it.
    The "aribitary scale" is the reality of today. Happy New Year!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666
    pblakeney said:

When we go to make great trade deals with the Trumpster what denomination will be most relevant?

If you pick a random foreign unit of measurement you can demonstrate a lot of things.

Our functional currency is Sterling so that's how we measure UK GDP: any other currency is not relevant - unless you are trying to twist the facts.
  • Stevo_666

The reality is that we will be leaving for better or worse.Get used to it.
    Not my choice, not yours, but there it is.
    Trying to work out some arbitrary scale of comparison is really futile.

Good way of summarising it.

I suspect however that the pointless arguments will not stop. For some, whingeing has become their 'raison d'etre'.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

FTA agreements dont create alot of growth. The deal with the eu through membership gives a decent boost still only worth 1% or so of gdp I believe. It may be more but less than ones thinks. a gooddealwitht the usa will add maybe 0.2% to gdp. Not to besniffes at but nothing to get excited about either. Most of us wont notice. Trade with the rest of world is even less significant. Trade deals already exist with many coj tries through the eu so bilateral deals will be merely replacing existing deals but perhaps not on the same terms perhaps not as favourable for the u.k

If the point of leaving the eu is trade deals then the public are going to be disappointed at how little difference they make to public.

Looking at your point from the other angle, people may be pleasantly surprised at how little negative effect leaving the EU has on them. Contrary to the sort of scenarios put forward in here.
    The pleasantness of their surprise would be inversely proportionate to their understanding of compound growth
    Given the percentages and timescales they are unlikely to notice. That's before you consider there is no alternative timeline to compare to (I.e. no way they can see what it would have been like had we not left) - hence no reference point.
    Is that directed at me or yourself?

At you. Not sure why you needed to ask as I quoted your post?
    but I was replying to your post... your second post was knocking the logic of your first post
    I don't think so. You may need to explain how you came to think that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,659
    Stevo_666 said:

I'm sure you realise that GDP stated in a foreign currency will contain foreign exchange fluctuations.

Let's use domestic currency for each country and you will see it paints a rather different picture:

Ahahahahahahahaha
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020

As Stevo keeps pointing out, the argument whether we will be better/worse off in 5 years time is moot.
    It is not as though Jim Bowen could walk on and announce,"This is what you could have won" is it?

How is it moot? Don't understand that logic at all.

It is an actual choice.
  • ballysmate

It is an actual choice.
    It WAS a choice for us to stay or go. Ship has sailed.
  • rick_chasey

It is an actual choice.
    Staying in the single market is absolutely still a choice.
  • rick_chasey
    And tbh, given the choice was fairly divisive, I think it's also legit to challenge the decision and evaluate the benefits and costs of said choice, versus what the alternative would have been.
  • rick_chasey
    I would like to know why folk on the UK right are so hot on Orban, a wannabe autocrat who, afaik, his power structure depends on EU subsidies and investment from EU countries.
  • ballysmate

It is an actual choice.
    Staying in the single market is absolutely still a choice.
    You think we could stay in SM without FOM?
    Not gonna happen.
  • rick_chasey
    No, but I have always maintained that deciding that FOM was somehow not possible post ref was a peculiar Mayism.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

No, but I have always maintained that deciding that FOM was somehow not possible post ref was a peculiar Mayism.

Maybe it has something to do with the EU repeatedly saying that you cant stay in the single market without accepting the other freedoms. Were they lying as surely the honest EU would not do that.
  • pblakeney
    Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

If you pick a random foreign unit of measurement you can demonstrate a lot of things.
    Random? Like the main international trade currency?
    But yes, lies, damned lies, and statistics.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    john80 said:

Maybe it has something to do with the EU repeatedly saying that you cant stay in the single market without accepting the other freedoms. Were they lying as surely the honest EU would not do that.
    Eh? If it isn't obvious, the indivisible 4 freedoms is a given at this point in the discussion.
  • john80

john80 said:

Eh? If it isn't obvious, the indivisible 4 freedoms is a given at this point in the discussion.
    It is not a Mayism nor is it peculiar as per your prior post to realise that you can't have the single market without accepting FOM.
  • ballysmate

IIRC for a large part of this thread,people, perhaps including you, were saying that some of industries and services, particularly the NHS, would suffer post Brexit because EU citizens would no longer be able to come here under FOM.
    It was accepted on here that FOM and the SM access went hand in hand. What has changed for you? Do yo really expect a 'softer' deal under Johnson than May?
  • rick_chasey

IIRC for a large part of this thread,people, perhaps including you, were saying that some of industries and services, particularly the NHS, would suffer post Brexit because EU citizens would no longer be able to come here under FOM.
    It was accepted on here that FOM and the SM access went hand in hand. What has changed for you? Do yo really expect a 'softer' deal under Johnson than May?
    Not sure what you mean by the bolded bit.

FOM is obviously beneficial for everyone involved; economically at the very least.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • john80

Not sure what you mean by the bolded bit.

FOM is obviously beneficial for everyone involved; economically at the very least.
    If FOM is so obviously in everyones interest then please explain why no government has made a successful case for this in the last 20-30 years and it is deemed a significant issue for a significant amount of the population. The only thing going for it i can see is the obvious gdp increase purely related to headcount.
  • Stevo_666 said:

pblakeney said:

Our functional currency is Sterling so that's how we measure UK GDP: any other currency is not relevant - unless you are trying to twist the facts.
    So 1920's Weimar Republic GDP growth must have been exceptional...