• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    edited January 2020
    shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

sungod said:

Happy New Year all.

2019 was the year when democracy prevailed.

I go into 2020 being hugely proud to be British and of this country

nonsense as usual

2019 was the year democracy died, with the rigged electoral system giving power to a lying traitor and his government, in spite of the fact that most people did not vote for it

as the losers in power will be throwing away uk citizens' rights to live and work in the eu, i'll be starting 2020 by recruiting yet more eu nationals - it makes no business sense hiring uk people who can't move and work freely or be cleared for sensitive engagements, the opportunity and investment is in the eu, not the uk
    Why do you describe our electoral system as rigged? Which system would you prefer and would it produce absolute majorities which seems to be your principle objection to fptp unless I'm missing your point?
    It's only rigged when you lose. From a Lib Dem perspective it must be very rigged indeed.
    I'm not sure how it's rigged at all if I'm honest but I'm open to persuasion if SG wants to respond. Our system may not be perfect but we had a referendum on electoral reform in 2011 which rejected change by a sizeable majority. Neither of the main parties is calling for change and the Lib Dems having lost the AV referendum seem to have shut up about it now too, not that anyone cares what they think anymore. If I've understood him right SG is saying that the Brexit referendum is invalid as "most people did not vote for it" despite their being a majority of those eligible to vote coming out in favour of leave. Is he saying that he would only accept an absolute majority of the entire voting public regardless of turnout?
    I think that's what he's saying, although using that logic most people did not vote to stay either. Conveniently forgetting it's a long-standing accepted practice that if you don't vote, your views don't count.

Bit late to be moaning about it now though...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,655
    edited January 2020
    It is the hope that gets you.

I think deep down everyone knew that it was done when the ref result was announced.

It was executed particularly badly which created all those Westminster convulsions which kept delaying it, and I guess each delay let a little bit more hope creep in.

In hindsight this also led to some tactical errors on the remain side and, for different hope, on the DUP side, who have royally been f*cked by the 'conservative and unionist party' -
    harumph.

At the same time Stevo, it's not like the leave lot stopped moaning in the '70s, so I don't see any reason not to keep on moaning until the decision is reversed.
  • Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

sungod said:

Happy New Year all.

nonsense as usual

2019 was the year democracy died, with the rigged electoral system giving power to a lying traitor and his government, in spite of the fact that most people did not vote for it

as the losers in power will be throwing away uk citizens' rights to live and work in the eu, i'll be starting 2020 by recruiting yet more eu nationals - it makes no business sense hiring uk people who can't move and work freely or be cleared for sensitive engagements, the opportunity and investment is in the eu, not the uk
    Why do you describe our electoral system as rigged? Which system would you prefer and would it produce absolute majorities which seems to be your principle objection to fptp unless I'm missing your point?
    It's only rigged when you lose. From a Lib Dem perspective it must be very rigged indeed.
    I'm not sure how it's rigged at all if I'm honest but I'm open to persuasion if SG wants to respond. Our system may not be perfect but we had a referendum on electoral reform in 2011 which rejected change by a sizeable majority. Neither of the main parties is calling for change and the Lib Dems having lost the AV referendum seem to have shut up about it now too, not that anyone cares what they think anymore. If I've understood him right SG is saying that the Brexit referendum is invalid as "most people did not vote for it" despite their being a majority of those eligible to vote coming out in favour of leave. Is he saying that he would only accept an absolute majority of the entire voting public regardless of turnout?
    I think that's what he's saying, although using that logic most people did not vote to stay either. Conveniently forgetting it's a long-standing accepted practice that if you don't vote, your views don't count.

Neither of you are stupid enough to think that was what SG said. What's the point in arguing against something someone didn't say?

Happy new year everyone!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

sungod said:

Happy New Year all.

nonsense as usual

Neither of you are stupid enough to think that was what SG said. What's the point in arguing against something someone didn't say?

Happy new year everyone!
    So what did he say then?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

I think deep down everyone knew that it was done when the ref result was announced.

It was executed particularly badly which created all those Westminster convulsions which kept delaying it, and I guess each delay let a little bit more hope creep in.

In hindsight this also led to some tactical errors on the remain side and, for different hope, on the DUP side, who have royally been f*cked by the 'conservative and unionist party' -
    harumph.

At the same time Stevo, it's not like the leave lot stopped moaning in the '70s, so I don't see any reason not to keep on moaning until the decision is reversed.

Campaigning to rejoin after we have left would seem to be the most sensible, useful and non-moany option.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

sungod said:

Happy New Year all.

nonsense as usual

Happy new year everyone!
    So what did he say then?
    "2019 was the year democracy died, with the rigged electoral system giving power to a lying traitor and his government, in spite of the fact that most people did not vote for it"

Are you saying you read that clear opinion on the 2019 election as being a view on the legtimacy of the 2016 referendum? Maybe I was wrong.

What is wrong with it is that 2019 isn't the year it finally happened that a minority of votes gave a large majority of seats, it's the way the system has always worked.
  • rick_chasey
    edited January 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

harumph.

Campaigning to rejoin after we have left would seem to be the most sensible, useful and non-moany option.
    Campaigning is moany, but nature.

And tbf, I've done more than my fair share of that in my 20s and now I'm a family man I have different priorities (and no free time), so I'll stick to moaning, thanks.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,092
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

sungod said:

Happy New Year all.

nonsense as usual

Happy new year everyone!
    So what did he say then?
    Rigged is not the right word, but I think it is difficult to argue that it is truly representative. The differential between share of vote and number of seats not only between the two main parties but also between the Greens LibDems and the SNP (and yes, the Brexit Party, too) doesn't sit comfortably.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

harumph.

And tbf, I've done more than my fair share of that in my 20s and now I'm a family man I have different priorities (and no free time), so I'll stick to moaning, thanks.
    In your current situation I suppose it's easier than the more useful options...
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

shortfall said:

sungod said:

Happy New Year all.

nonsense as usual

Happy new year everyone!
    So what did he say then?
    "2019 was the year democracy died, with the rigged electoral system giving power to a lying traitor and his government, in spite of the fact that most people did not vote for it"

Are you saying you read that clear opinion on the 2019 election as being a view on the legtimacy of the 2016 referendum? Maybe I was wrong.

What is wrong with it is that 2019 isn't the year it finally happened that a minority of votes gave a large majority of seats, it's the way the system has always worked.
    I'm not linking the two. Maybe I didn't make my point very well first time but Electoral 'maths' does not always produce the desired results but if they had gone his way under the current system I'm sure there would be no objections from SG.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

harumph.

Look I was part of the remain campaign and we lost. I gave it a lot more than pretty much every other person on here, for starters.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

harumph.

Look I was part of the remain campaign and we lost. I gave it a lot more than pretty much every other person on here, for starters.
    I'm not doing down any previous efforts, just commenting on the realities of your current situation, which is different from what it was.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

harumph.

Your efforts in making up lies and insinuations about those who voted to leave to try and achieve a win for your side does not make you a better person.

It just makes you a losing c**t
  • rick_chasey
    Eugh the ignore function seems to have gone missing.
  • Good to see the country is coming back together.
  • Good to see the country is coming back together.

You and the other losers have created this situation. You can now own it!

Leavers will not forget the vilifying and derogatory labels that remoaners used before and after the referendum in an attempt to achieve their aim.

I've yet to hear any apologies or contrition from any remoaners for their actions so I will continue to treat those this applies to with the comtempt they deserve.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

harumph.

Your efforts in making up lies and insinuations about those who voted to leave to try and achieve a win for your side does not make you a better person.

It just makes you a losing c**t

Until I read your posts I didn't care about leaving. It was only then that I decided Remain was preferable if would p*ss off racist, ignorant Little Englander types like you.

OK, you won. Well done. Shame you just don't have the class or intelligence to handle it.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,198
    That Botster really is a Rick with a silent 'P'. Big and brave while badmouthing on t'internet.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited January 2020

• Leavers will not forget the vilifying and derogatory labels that remoaners used

Might have taken the character a bit far here though.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Amendments being submitted for the WAB.

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-01/0001/amend/euwithdrawal_rm_cwh_0102x.pdf

DUP trying to change the consent mechanism

Alliance's Stephen Farry trying to ensure a representation for NI on the Joint Committee

DUP also co sponsoring the Big Bean chime amendment *facepalm*

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,536

What did I do?

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310

What did I do?

Ha!

A most unfortunate typo.

That should be Big Ben
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Jeremy.89
    Jeremy.89 Posts: 457

Good to see the country is coming back together.

You and the other losers have created this situation. You can now own it!

Leavers will not forget the vilifying and derogatory labels that remoaners used before and after the referendum in an attempt to achieve their aim.

I've yet to hear any apologies or contrition from any remoaners for their actions so I will continue to treat those this applies to with the comtempt they deserve.
    Calls someone a c*** then complains his feefees were hurt pre referendum.

Classic snowflake.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

harumph.

I'm not doing down any previous efforts, just commenting on the realities of your current situation, which is different from what it was.
    I saw someone using your favourite "lefty bollox" saying on Twitter just now Stevo. Do you Tweet?
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    shortfall said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

harumph.

I saw someone using your favourite "lefty bollox" saying on Twitter just now Stevo. Do you Tweet?
    Nope, I don't. But they could read BR? Never had myself down as a social media influencer :)
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2020
    Although now you mention it, I suppose Twitter can be quite amusing in small doses.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/owenjonesisawankerday

https://mobile.twitter.com/hashtag/corbynisawankerday
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Twitter is amazing if you like reading tweets by a load of lefties who are in total denial about why they lost the election.
  • Stevo_666
    shortfall said:

Twitter is amazing if you like reading tweets by a load of lefties who are in total denial about why they lost the election.

And long may it stay that way as if they don't think they need to change, they'll keep on getting thrashed in elections.
  • FTA agreements dont create alot of growth. The deal with the eu through membership gives a decent boost still only worth 1% or so of gdp I believe. It may be more but less than ones thinks. a gooddealwitht the usa will add maybe 0.2% to gdp. Not to besniffes at but nothing to get excited about either. Most of us wont notice. Trade with the rest of world is even less significant. Trade deals already exist with many coj tries through the eu so bilateral deals will be merely replacing existing deals but perhaps not on the same terms perhaps not as favourable for the u.k

If the point of leaving the eu is trade deals then the public are going to be disappointed at how little difference they make to public.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk