BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Well the tories have stripped worker right protection, the role of parliament etc from the withdrawal act. Back to an elected dictatorship. Is anyone clear who exactly sl these new tory MP's are? It could all blow up in the tories face again at some point. Far to early to say if poltics has settled down. The opposition parties with there dither one one side and principled and ineffective opposition on the other have effectively surrendered power to the conservatives and which conservatives is yet to become clear.

I wonder how the SNP thing going to play out. For now the lid maybe on but is pressure going to build or dissapate when the money taps open a bit.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited December 2019

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't a purely skills based immigration policy leave the unskilled jobs for the non-immigrant population? Is that definitely the best option?

Seem to recall reading that unskilled Labour would be allowed in (with certain conditions such as max duration of stay) where there is a clear sectoral need? If not then I guess supply and demand will make the unskilled jobs more attractive to the non-immigrant population as the going rate increases.
    At the expense of customers.
    Exactly, this is where the different ideologies get interesting.
    The left leaning Brexit supporter believes this wage growth will see a change in revenue distribution.
    Free marketeers will allow the market to sort the problem. I.e. cheaper imports will replace uncompetitive uk products.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited December 2019
    Talks to restore the Stormont Assembly ground to a halt yesterday with Secretary of State Julian Smith making it public that the DUP are holding things up.

You may recall Julian Smith from his previous role as Chief Whip trying to get May's deal through.

Spite never sleeps

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • morstar
    edited December 2019

Bloody free marketeers, only free market when it suits them.

Stevo continues his anti-competitive traits at every opportunity. This week; competition for labour from mobile workers from around the globe.

Free marketeering and protectionism always come as a package.
    US = internal free market, external barriers to inwards goods.
    EU = internal free market, external barriers to inwards goods.
    China, ditto.
    The JRM model of totally free market is a truly exceptional model. The 3 globally successfully free markets are all huge players with lots of protection.
    GB is Taking a bold path considering its dependency on imports.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605
    morstar said:

Stevo continues his anti-competitive traits at every opportunity. This week; competition for labour from mobile workers from around the globe.

China, ditto.
    The JRM model of totally free market is a truly exceptional model. The 3 globally successfully free markets are all huge players with lots of protection.
    Maybe Rick should look at the anti-competitive trade barriers put up by the EU?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,651
    I've been quite consistent with my criticism of that.

Just because I think Brexit is f@@king awful, doesn't mean I think the EU does no wrong.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

Talks to restore the Stormont Assembly ground to a halt yesterday with Secretary of State Julian Smith making it public that the DUP are holding things up.

You may recall Julian Smith from his previous role as Chief Whip trying to get May's deal through.

Spite never sleeps

More importantly, he's wearing the Gulf version of the Tag Heuer Monaco. Not sure I'd buy one but I respect his choice.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Doesn't a purely skills based immigration policy leave the unskilled jobs for the non-immigrant population? Is that definitely the best option?

Seem to recall reading that unskilled Labour would be allowed in (with certain conditions such as max duration of stay) where there is a clear sectoral need? If not then I guess supply and demand will make the unskilled jobs more attractive to the non-immigrant population as the going rate increases.
    The customer that wants to pay a rate for a product or service that ensures the worker receive so little money that they either choose not to work or are not able to support themselves and their family are probably the same customer that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    I assume you don't have a mobile phone.
    Good bit of whataboutery. Is there many UK manufacturers of phones that I could buy that are employing people at a low wage. Maybe focus on the stuff that employs a lot of UK workers.
  • rick_chasey
    So BoJo going for hard Brexit.

Is looking to remove the worker rights protections too by the looks of it.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The customer that wants to pay a rate for a product or service that ensures the worker receive so little money that they either choose not to work or are not able to support themselves and their family are probably the same customer that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    Good bit of whataboutery. Is there many UK manufacturers of phones that I could buy that are employing people at a low wage. Maybe focus on the stuff that employs a lot of UK workers.
    Ah, are you of the autarky persuasion?
  • Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

China, ditto.
    Sounds like you are swing towards remain
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Longshot said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You honestly think that most people make those kind of value judgements on a day to day basis? You honestly think that a lot of people can afford to make those kind of value judgements on a day to day basis?
    No I honestly think that a large percentage of the UK population take a me first approach to life and if we are being honest it probably is worst at the middle upwards where people definitely have the means to afford to make a value judgement. Asking those at the bottom to make value judgements when those mainly buying the services or goods for which they are employed clearly don't give a toss is a bit rich.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

Longshot said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

You honestly think that most people make those kind of value judgements on a day to day basis? You honestly think that a lot of people can afford to make those kind of value judgements on a day to day basis?
    No I honestly think that a large percentage of the UK population take a me first approach to life and if we are being honest it probably is worst at the middle upwards where people definitely have the means to afford to make a value judgement. Asking those at the bottom to make value judgements when those mainly buying the services or goods for which they are employed clearly don't give a toss is a bit rich.
    In which case you probably ought not to vote for parties who are keen on reducing worker's rights in order to improve broader profits.

Like what the Tories are literally doing now.
  • morstar
    Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

China, ditto.
    My point is that they all do that. Total free market ideology is a myth. All of the big free markets make internal trade free whilst having barriers externally to leverage their might and trade externally on preferable terms.
    Eu is no different to US or China in this regard.

Inward freedom, external protectionism.

It's nations behaving like large multinationals. A group of companies leverage their size to drive internal efficiencies and compete against others. This is perfectly natural behaviour.

What is odd is thinking removing all barriers will benefit a small player when it is clearly most advantageous to the larger organisations you are competing / trading with. Unless you have a really strong USP and positive trade balance.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited December 2019
    john80 said:

Longshot said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Then your point to which I was replying seems to be pointless?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • morstar said:

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

China, ditto.
    My point is that they all do that. Total free market ideology is a myth. All of the big free markets make internal trade free whilst having barriers externally to leverage their might and trade externally on preferable terms.
    Eu is no different to US or China in this regard.

Inward freedom, external protectionism.

It's nations behaving like large multinationals. A group of companies leverage their size to drive internal efficiencies and compete against others. This is perfectly natural behaviour.

What is odd is thinking removing all barriers will benefit a small player when it is clearly most advantageous to the larger organisations you are competing / trading with. Unless you have a really strong USP and positive trade balance.
    You are actually looking at this the wrong way round. Historically all countries have had trade barriers with all other countries, the post-war trend is to form trade blocs. Many assume the way forwards is for the trade blocs to cooperate and possibly merge. There are obviously outliers like North Korea and UK who do not subscribe to this theory.
  • One of the post referendum problems has been the perceived need to give important jobs to Brexit supporters which has inevitably led to total thickos getting promoted. With Boris’s big majority the Hope was that this would no longer be necessary. The word on the street is that the new guv’nor of the BofE must support Brexit. If Bailey gets the job then it will be another failure of our democratic process.
  • rick_chasey
    Bailey has it already.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sorry, you didn't make it clear that the moral judgement you want customers to make stops at the border.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Sorry, you didn't make it clear that the moral judgement you want customers to make stops at the border.
    anybody else old enough to remember the barrier to imports and buy British campaigns to support the like of the TV and car industries?
  • Bailey has it already.

I know I will get told off but it is almost as if only an idiot would support Brexit
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2019
    Don't see the correlation re Bailey appointment, but I'm not really gonna disagree.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

morstar said:

China, ditto.
    Sounds like you are swing towards remain
    Bit late for that.

The conversations about whether we should leave seem a bit pointless now. Stable doors and horses etc.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Bailey has it already.

I know I will get told off but it is almost as if only an idiot would support Brexit
    I think that's what quite a few remainer mps said (Grieve, Ummuna, Gauke, Soubry etc) and they got 'told off' by the electorate.
  • I miss these guys: "We say: yes to the Single Market. Yes to turbocharging free trade. Yes to working together where we are
    stronger together than alone. Yes to a family of nation
    states, all part of a European Union"
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    edited December 2019
    Or these guys: "The European Union has done much to
    reconcile the painful division of Europe and to
    spread democracy and the rule of law across
    our continent." "We believe Britain’s interests are best served
    by membership of a European Union that is an
    association of its Member States. "
  • Stevo_666

I think we're already OK for democracy and rule of law here in the UK. Although I can see why certain other European nations might have needed a bit of help in these areas.
  • Stevo_666 said:

I think we're already OK for democracy and rule of law here in the UK. Although I can see why certain other European nations might have needed a bit of help in these areas.
    But historically, if they are not doing so well it gets a bit awkward for us too.
  • Don't see the correlation re Bailey appointment, but I'm not really gonna disagree.

apparently candidates were rejected for not being supportive of brexit. Bailey is currently head of the FCA and most consider him very lucky not to have been fired.
  • Stevo_666 said:

Bailey has it already.

I think that's what quite a few remainer mps said (Grieve, Ummuna, Gauke, Soubry etc) and they got 'told off' by the electorate.
    does not mean they are not right to consider it to be an act of economic stupidity