BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,605

Stevo_666 said:

And in other EU news, Poland may be forced to leave the EU if they press ahead with their judicial reforms:
    https://bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50828516

Any more of these and it might start getting fashionable.

I think the bigger worry is Poland's shift towards a far right dictatorship but I'm glad you've got your priorities right.
    I definitely don't agree with the direction Poland is taking but I'm looking at it in terms of possible end effect that is relevant to this thread.

The leverage the EU has is that Poland is the largest net recipient of EU funds in the bloc - however if the Polish regime takes the view that their political priorities take precedence over the financial impact then it may not be a deterrent.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Can we get back to the question of why Cummings is setting himself up to fail and weakening his own negotiating position?

My view is that the move is to do a few things as the govt sees it:
    1. Show the electorate that they mean to 'get Brexit done' as promised.
    2. Put some pressure on the EU to get a move on when the negotiations start as they dont want a no deal situation.

Given the healthy commons majority they can always revoke the law that makes the extension illegal. Playing the game as I see it.
    How does the pressure work when even you and I know it's a bluff?

1) is the only reason
    It may well be but we can't be sure. It certainly sets a time frame for the negotiations.
    Someone wise once said "Given the healthy commons majority they can always revoke the law that makes the extension illegal."

The timeframe for the negotiations is not set by this, it is set in the withdrawal agreement:
    "ARTICLE 126
    Transition period
    There shall be a transition or implementation period, which shall start on the date of entry into force of this Agreement and end on 31 December 2020."
    "ARTICLE 132
    Extension of the transition period
    1. Notwithstanding Article 126, the Joint Committee may, before 1 July 2020, adopt a single decision extending the transition period for up to 1 or 2 years."

Good spot KG, you've been doing your homework. IIRC the 1 July deadline reflects the WA which states that any extension to the transition period must be agreed by then (and can be extended by 1 or 2 years). So the law above is simply reflecting the WA which will likely be ratified by parliament in the near future.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    In other words it's just for domestic consumption.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Says a lot that he feels the need to convince people that he really means it. Almost as though he has a reputation for letting people down.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Worth noting, a transition which would end December 31st 2020 was agreed in May's withdrawal agreement.

9 months of dicking around have come out of the transition period.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • No bother, the free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.
  • rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,652
    So Britain First are encouraging their supporters to join the Tories
  • rjsterry
    Lots of examples on Twitter of anyone a bit foreign or brown getting flat-out racist/you don't belong here abuse. Who could have predicted that the Prime minister making disgusting comments about foreigners treating the country as their own could have had such an effect?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• No bother, the free trade agreement that we will have to do with the European Union should be one of the easiest in human history.

With ids and Davis on the case it will be a doddle,
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    For all the people who seem to view having a immigration policy as some sort of cart blanche for racist rhetoric and deeds should not that not having an immigration policy over the last couple of decades has not eased the problem of right wing views. It has in fact increased it as they have no legitimate ability to democratically oppose the system. The answer for putting racists back in their box is to have a nation that is in full control of its immigration policy and then you can have a debate at each election. People can then turn up with their we want open door to anyone and on the other end we don't want anyone of a certain ethnicity. The UK public will then do what they have done time and time again and elect a government somewhere in the middle that makes a credible case for a skills based immigration policy as both of the above extreme positions are flawed in different ways.
  • In fairness to DD this seems to be the standard party line that he has been given to parrot out. Whilst I would not expect the general public to see the stupidity of this argument it should be well within the mental capacity of a journalist.
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

For all the people who seem to view having a immigration policy as some sort of cart blanche for racist rhetoric and deeds should not that not having an immigration policy over the last couple of decades has not eased the problem of right wing views. It has in fact increased it as they have no legitimate ability to democratically oppose the system. The answer for putting racists back in their box is to have a nation that is in full control of its immigration policy and then you can have a debate at each election. People can then turn up with their we want open door to anyone and on the other end we don't want anyone of a certain ethnicity. The UK public will then do what they have done time and time again and elect a government somewhere in the middle that makes a credible case for a skills based immigration policy as both of the above extreme positions are flawed in different ways.

I suspect the cause & effect was racists using immigration as a more respectable vehicle for their racist views.
  • Interesting piece in today's Times by Simon Nixon. Is behind the paywall so I have tried to capture the salient points about what BoJo is up to.

Why set a deadline that almost every trade expert says is almost impossible to meet and which effectively hands negotiating leverage to the other side?

Of course no one knows for sure what Mr Johnson has in mind, perhaps not even Mr Johnson himself. As recently as September he and his allies were still babbling about “alternative arrangements” as the solution to the Irish border, long past the point when anyone with any understanding of the realities of trade had recognised this as nonsense. EU officials who have been deeply involved in the last two negotiations with Britain note that both David Cameron and Theresa May’s teams had to clamber up very steep learning curves given their initial lack of understanding of the complexities of the issues. Those officials say that the same is true of Mr Johnson’s team.

Nonetheless, some senior EU officials believe that Mr Johnson’s gambit might pay off. They speculate that Europe’s weakness could work in the UK’s favour, allowing Mr Johnson to reach a deal that allows a high level of market access while allowing Britain to diverge in key areas of regulation. After all Brexit is already having an economic impact in some member states, including contributing to Germany’s slowdown. At a time of global trade tensions, many sectors in the EU will be lobbying to maintain access to the British market. Everyone accepts that EU unity will be much harder to maintain in the next phase of talks. Perhaps Mr Johnson’s German carmakers and Italian Prosecco sellers will come to his aid.

That said, those with direct experience of past negotiations think this unlikely. They believe that European unity will hold, not least because disunity makes a deal less likely. They believe that Mr Johnson will instead have to capitulate again as the deadline approaches. In that case, the EU hopes to offer him a bare-bones deal by the end of the year that will include its own lengthy transition period to allow a more detailed long-term relationship to be agreed. Liberal quantities of fudge would be required to obscure the fact that such a deal would come at a financial cost and require continued alignment with EU rules for the duration. Still, it could kick the issue into touch for up to five years.
  • rjsterry
    Prepare for another lean year in 2021.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Doesn't a purely skills based immigration policy leave the unskilled jobs for the non-immigrant population? Is that definitely the best option?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,973

Doesn't a purely skills based immigration policy leave the unskilled jobs for the non-immigrant population? Is that definitely the best option?

Only if the non-immigrant population want to do the unskilled jobs.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666

Doesn't a purely skills based immigration policy leave the unskilled jobs for the non-immigrant population? Is that definitely the best option?

Seem to recall reading that unskilled Labour would be allowed in (with certain conditions such as max duration of stay) where there is a clear sectoral need? If not then I guess supply and demand will make the unskilled jobs more attractive to the non-immigrant population as the going rate increases.
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo_666 said:

Seem to recall reading that unskilled Labour would be allowed in (with certain conditions such as max duration of stay) where there is a clear sectoral need? If not then I guess supply and demand will make the unskilled jobs more attractive to the non-immigrant population as the going rate increases.
    At the expense of customers.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

The obvious trade off but if unskilled workers are allowed in to address shortages then that will mitigate the impact. Let's see what happens.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2019
    Cutting the supply of labour is a net cost.

You of all people with your anti trade-union ways should see this.

The bigger question should be what is it exactly that locals don't like about high levels of immigration and perhaps focusing on those issues rather than just saying "no foreigners".

That's what's so annoying about the "legitimate concerns about immigration" brigade, because they usually don't want to listen to any other solution that isn't "stop immigration into the UK". The concerns are just "there are too many of *them*" rather than, y'know, what the actual problems are.

Some of the problems that are mentioned, like strain on public services, are wide of the mark for obvious reasons.

If anything, the cultural questions (in my mind anyway) are more legitimate and I think there are definitely ways to handle those better and worse and that isn't nearly given enough attention.
  • rick_chasey
    Bloody free marketeers, only free market when it suits them.

Stevo continues his anti-competitive traits at every opportunity. This week; competition for labour from mobile workers from around the globe.
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2019

Bloody free marketeers, only free market when it suits them.

Stevo continues his anti-competitive traits at every opportunity. This week; competition for labour from mobile workers from around the globe.

I'm just commenting on the likely implications.

Try playing the ball not the man, I've told you about this before...
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Stevo_666 said:

The customer that wants to pay a rate for a product or service that ensures the worker receive so little money that they either choose not to work or are not able to support themselves and their family are probably the same customer that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The customer that wants to pay a rate for a product or service that ensures the worker receive so little money that they either choose not to work or are not able to support themselves and their family are probably the same customer that knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    You honestly think that most people make those kind of value judgements on a day to day basis? You honestly think that a lot of people can afford to make those kind of value judgements on a day to day basis?
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • john80 said:

Stevo_666 said:

I assume you don't have a mobile phone.
  • people who dislike immigration usually have a long list of exceptions which invariably coincide with their own self-interests. This means of course that everybody has a very different idea of what sort of immigration should be controlled.
  • rick_chasey

🤨