BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,702
    Von der Leyen has written to Johnson requesting his nomination for UK Commissioner. Best suggestions so far are Theresa May or Carrie Symonds. :lol:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,643
    mr_goo said:

I struggle to understand the objections to onshore wind, but now people object to offshore too?

Have a look at a map of South coast. Water between The Needles and Swanage. Now imagine 180 turbines sat in that bit of water. Each turbine blade is larger than the wingspan of a B747 jumbo jet.... The biggest turbines ever constructed.

That is why thousands objected to it. It would have been an industrial complex sat in a UNESCO world heritage site. The UKs only such designated site. Quite why the Crown Estates thought it a good idea in the first instance is beyond me.
    According to wikipedia, they were going to be 8 miles from the Needles and 210m high. I struggle to see that as an eyesore.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    They would also be outside the UNESCO site which only covers the coastline so that's more hyperbole. There are, however, very stringent rules about development within the 'setting' of a UNESCO site and if those were being breached planning wouldn't be granted.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    mr_goo said:

It would have been an industrial complex sat in a UNESCO world heritage site. The UKs only such designated site. Quite why the Crown Estates thought it a good idea in the first instance is beyond me.

UNESCO said:

There are 32 World Heritage Sites in the UK and its territories: 26 cultural, 5 natural and 1 mixed. The first seven sites were listed in 1987.

• I live there to and don't know anyone that objected to it as we recognise that needs of the many etc...., and we don't own a house overlooking the bay and worry the value might be marginally impacted. Most of those objecting are retirees moving to the area and moaning about anything and everything that doesn't fit with the dream they had before splashing out on their park-home/execute-pad perched on the cliff-edge. F-em all.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,806
    edited November 2019

I live there to and don't know anyone that objected to it as we recognise that needs of the many etc...., and we don't own a house overlooking the bay and worry the value might be marginally impacted. Most of those objecting are retirees moving to the area and moaning about anything and everything that doesn't fit with the dream they had before splashing out on their park-home/execute-pad perched on the cliff-edge. F-em all.

I live there to and don't know anyone that objected to it as we recognise that needs of the many etc...., and we don't own a house overlooking the bay and worry the value might be marginally impacted. Most of those objecting are retirees moving to the area and moaning about anything and everything that doesn't fit with the dream they had before splashing out on their park-home/execute-pad perched on the cliff-edge. F-em all.

I suspect objections were based mostly on perceived falling property values.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mr_goo said:

I struggle to understand the objections to onshore wind, but now people object to offshore too?

Have a look at a map of South coast. Water between The Needles and Swanage. Now imagine 180 turbines sat in that bit of water. Each turbine blade is larger than the wingspan of a B747 jumbo jet.... The biggest turbines ever constructed.

That is why thousands objected to it. It would have been an industrial complex sat in a UNESCO world heritage site. The UKs only such designated site. Quite why the Crown Estates thought it a good idea in the first instance is beyond me.
    It is almost as if you are incapable of writing anything that is factually correct.
    There are 32 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in the UK, four of them "natural"
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited November 2019

No offence Stevo but a sewage farm off the coast of Redcar would improve it.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,573
    shortfall said:

None taken SF, that was pretty much the point I was making.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    Tonight's blue pill from the ConJobs. Wankers. And this one sent in the name of wanker-in-chief BloJo.
    -------------------

The Conservative Party
    Dear redacted

Brexit done. Better hospitals. Safer streets. Improved schools. Let’s unlock Britain’s future.

No country in the world has greater potential than ours.

[My bold] We invented the steam train. Gave birth to football. There’s nothing as a country we can’t do.

But recently we’ve spent far too long going nowhere, spinning round in a hamster wheel of doom.

Gridlock. Indecision. Uncertainty. It’s time to put the last three years behind us.

We’re going to unleash Britain’s potential. So will you help us? Chip in and let’s win this election.

Donate £20
    Donate £50
    Donate £100
    Donate £250
    Donate Other Amount
    The Conservatives can win a majority government. No other party can.

And the great thing about a majority government is that it can get stuff done.

We’ll pass our Brexit deal – which is agreed and ready to go from day one. We’ll leave the EU by the end of January. Then we’ll get on with the country’s priorities.

£33.9 billion extra for the NHS. So we can hire more doctors and nurses – and invest in new technology, like 300 new MRI machines, CT scanners and breast-scanning machines.

20,000 extra police officers. More funding for every pupil in every school. And a growing economy that creates jobs and pays for our public services.

The doom and gloom is over. It’s time to look towards the future.

So let’s win this election, get Brexit done – and get on with the country’s priorities. Will you chip in and help make it happen?

Yes, I’ll donate
    Yours sincerely,

Boris Johnson signature
    Boris Johnson
    Prime Minister

If this email has been forwarded to you, and you would like to receive updates from us, please click here.

Please make sure to follow us on our social media channels.

This message was sent to you because your email address is on our subscribers list. If you don’t want to receive any more messages from the Conservatives, click here to unsubscribe. We’ll be sorry to see you go.

Your consent was previously given during an online or offline interaction with the Conservatives. If you feel this is incorrect or would like to comment, please contact us at compliance@conservatives.com. We do not buy email lists.

Promoted by Alan Mabbutt on behalf of the Conservative Party, both of 4 Matthew Parker Street, London SW1H 9HQ.

• shortfall said:

Talking of sewage farms, it's good to see the Westminster Sewage Farm aka Parliament being cleansed of anti-democrats ahead of the election.

No matter what happens in this election this cleansing of anti-democrats was needed for the health of democracy in this country
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited November 2019
    orraloon said:

[My bold] We invented the steam train. Gave birth to football. There’s nothing as a country we can’t do.

Great - we invented something nearly 200 years ago which has been pretty much obsolete now for at least the last 50 years. Also, I'm disappointed by the omission of any references to Spitfires, or the Blitz...
  • pblakeney

No matter what happens in this election this cleansing of anti-democrats was needed for the health of democracy in this country

Just wait till you see the replacements.
    Remember that those going were considered to be the pick of the bunch only 1-1/2 years ago.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Anybody else feel that Farage is more likely to have 100 candidates come Dec 12th?
  • rjsterry

orraloon said:

Great - we invented something nearly 200 years ago which has been pretty much obsolete now for at least the last 50 years. Also, I'm disappointed by the omission of any references to Spitfires, or the Blitz...
    Did think that was a tad unambitious. Could have had the World Wide Web, IVF, cloning mammals, graphene, carbon fibre, the digital computer, the jet engine, the cash machine....
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,696
    rjsterry said:

orraloon said:

Did think that was a tad unambitious. Could have had the World Wide Web, IVF, cloning mammals, graphene, carbon fibre, the digital computer, the jet engine, the cash machine....
    Yebbut. Think of his target audience of c150,000 gammon pensioners. Computers? Carbon fibre? IVF? What are you talking about?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    orraloon said:

rjsterry said:

orraloon said:

Yebbut. Think of his target audience of c150,000 gammon pensioners. Computers? Carbon fibre? IVF? What are you talking about?
    Which brings us back to my surprise at him not mentioning Spitfires, or the blitz... :wink:

• Anybody else feel that Farage is more likely to have 100 candidates come Dec 12th?

Farage doesn't want any candidates, all those deposits he'll need to fund. And why the flip is he allowed on the telly every day when he has no mps and isn't even standing?
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2019
    orraloon said:

rjsterry said:

orraloon said:

As mentioned in the other thread I got an email from Jeremy himself asking me for help to write the Labour manifesto. They must be clueless w@nkers :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    And this one from Team New Old Labour about those nasty Torwies using postal votes to try and win the election:

"Dear [Stevo],

Before November ends, the Tories will have millions of votes. Why? Postal voting.

In 2017, 8.4 million people voted by post, and most will probably have voted Conservative. One in five votes were by post, and postal voters were 20% more likely to cast a ballot than people who voted in person. With a winter polling day in 2019, Boris Johnson must be rubbing his hands with glee.

Don't let the Tories post their way to victory. Will you register for a postal vote today?"

Not a hint of leftie desperation there :)
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

mr_goo said:

It is almost as if you are incapable of writing anything that is factually correct.
    The UNESCO status for the Jurassic Coast would have been lost had this scheme gone ahead.
    Below are couple of images. Top one shows size comparison of the proposed 8mw turbines. Second one is computer generated image of what the wind farm would have looked like.

The objections were nothing to do with drop in house prices. Everything to do with killing off tourism, industrialisation of an area of outstanding natural beauty, etc etc etc.

Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    Adds a bit of interest to an otherwise boring scene.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    I love the idea that whoever made that graphic thought the Gherkin was a really tall building. I get that not everyone likes the look of them, but I do think the idea that local tourism would be wiped out because you can see a bunch of them on the horizon is a bit far fetched.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    I love that in the simulation photo you can barely see them on the horizon. It is more useful as support for the scheme.
  • From the beach they would be invisible. Curvature of the earth, haze, salt spray, southerly aspect.
  • From the beach they would be invisible. Curvature of the earth, haze, salt spray, southerly aspect.

Then they should build more, closer to the shore. I think they look majestic and would happily sit on a beach looking at them.
  • If you hold a biro horizontally at arms length, it would more than cover them.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,939
    Somebody should tell Trump about the wind farm... I don't think he's too keen on them either.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    mr_goo said:

mr_goo said:

The UNESCO status for the Jurassic Coast would have been lost had this scheme gone ahead.
    Below are couple of images. Top one shows size comparison of the proposed 8mw turbines. Second one is computer generated image of what the wind farm would have looked like.

The objections were nothing to do with drop in house prices. Everything to do with killing off tourism, industrialisation of an area of outstanding natural beauty, etc etc etc.

I'm sure the place will look better under water, so no worries.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited November 2019
    orraloon said:

But recently we’ve spent far too long going nowhere, spinning round in a hamster wheel of doom.

Gridlock. Indecision. Uncertainty. It’s time to put the last three years behind us.

Its almost like they're saying they weren't in government for the last 3 years or that they didn't create and perpetuate the 3 years of fecking going nowhere!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk