BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Help yourself to the tinfoil.

Sure, but we have run out.

Rees Mogg what an odious cunt. It's official. Will he need body guards should he dare to step out to campaigning within his constituency? How many voted has he single handedly lost the Cons?
    Have the Cons lost North Kensington already?
    Is it not going to go away this gaff and does that mean the ERG Maastricht bastards will be a man down?
    Can Alun Cairns really stay on or will the Cons be another man down?
    Are they all reading the Trump manual?

I'm clearly misinformed. Hames is however director of policy. A director but not on the board it would appear.

What I'm attempting to point out, and not very well is that most MPs have a personal agenda. Sometimes obvious, many times hidden below.

The one I found out about regards Cleggs wife was during a many year long campaign to stop Europe's largest off shore wind farm being constructed 7 miles from where I live. The deceitfulness of the contractors was unimaginable. But during my own investigations I found that the company Cleggs wife worked for were in pole position to supply the hardware. The wind farm was to also receive over £1bn in subsidies. Not withstanding that a this took place during the coalition years where the LibDems imposed their pro windfarm policy which was an EU directive on green energy.

My muddled way of saying they're all pigs with their snouts in the trough.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    Of course you were trying to block a wind farm
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,584
    mr_goo said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Rees Mogg what an odious cunt. It's official. Will he need body guards should he dare to step out to campaigning within his constituency? How many voted has he single handedly lost the Cons?
    Is it not going to go away this gaff and does that mean the ERG Maastricht bastards will be a man down?

Language Timothy!
    It's Cake Stop, so apparently you're allowed to swear if if the sentiment fits in with the Liberal left agenda :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo

And what's that supposed to imply?
    I'm not against them. In the right location they're fine.
    Just not on the doorstep of an area that's economy is only driven by tourism.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,703
    edited November 2019
    We all have agendas and all have our snouts in the trough to some degree. Hoping MPs will live the lives of saints is unrealistic. It's also inevitable that firms will approach politicians to lobby for whatever advantage they can gain. This is no different from a bunch of constituents lobbying their MP to keep the local hospital open. That said I think it is worth being slightly less cynical. Miriam Gonzales is a top flight international trade lawyer and will be very well paid wherever she goes. She is on the board of the Spanish construction firm Acciona but that isn't her only job. From what I read she had specifically stepped back from any of the firm's activities in the UK due to her husband's position. According to this article in the Telegraph this was cleared with the Civil Service and the Standards and Ethics board at the Cabinet Office.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/7812214/Nick-Cleggs-wife-lands-lucrative-job-on-board-of-Spanish-building-firm.html

Now who knows what Clegg and Gonzales talk about over dinner, but in public that looks like a couple trying to ensure there isn't a conflict of interest. It's possible that Clegg thought the wind farm was a great idea regardless.

That's not to say such things don't go on and Transparency International would probably have some examples ;)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    Kay Burley empty chairing James Cleverly on Sky News is quite something

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,318
    mr_goo said:

Look I'm all for helping the environment, just as long as it doesn't affect me in any way shape of form. Even seeing the evidence of the environment being helped is too much.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • mr_goo
    rjsterry said:

We all have agendas and all have our snouts in the trough to some degree. Hoping MPs will live the lives of saints is unrealistic. It's also inevitable that firms will approach politicians to lobby for whatever advantage they can gain. This is no different from a bunch of constituents lobbying their MP to keep the local hospital open. That said I think it is worth being slightly less cynical. Miriam Gonzales is a top flight international trade lawyer and will be very well paid wherever she goes. She is on the board of the Spanish construction firm Acciona but that isn't her only job. From what I read she had specifically stepped back from any of the firm's activities in the UK due to her husband's position. According to this article in the Telegraph this was cleared with the Civil Service and the Standards and Ethics board at the Cabinet Office.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/7812214/Nick-Cleggs-wife-lands-lucrative-job-on-board-of-Spanish-building-firm.html

Now who knows what Clegg and Gonzales talk about over dinner, but in public that looks like a couple trying to ensure there isn't a conflict of interest. It's possible that Clegg thought the wind farm was a great idea regardless.

That's not to say such things don't go on and Transparency International would probably have some examples ;)

I did know that Mrs Clegg had stepped back from working at Acciona.
    I manage to speak with one of the hierarchy of the EDF/Eneco led venture. And he stated that Acciona were the firm most likely to win contract.
    As far as the cabinet office ethics committee in Westminster. I'll leave that for all to judge.
  • rick_chasey
    mr_goo said:

It's very on brand.
  • rjsterry
    mr_goo said:

If it helps the rjsterry family are not remotely dissuaded from regularly holidaying in East Devon/Dorset by the presence of wind farms. :)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646
    I struggle to understand the objections to onshore wind, but now people object to offshore too?
  • rjsterry

Kay Burley empty chairing James Cleverly on Sky News is quite something

Ouch.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    The appalling Kay Burley in 'peak sanctimony' mode. Although on this occasion, she does seem to have a fair point...
  • rjsterry

I struggle to understand the objections to onshore wind, but now people object to offshore too?

I think they're quite pretty, but then I also like electricity pylons.

Pinnacle Monzonite

• They'd better hope they have some good targeted Facebook lies, because it's not going well on old school media.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,377
    mr_goo said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Language Timothy!
    Language?1 No history:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/10397855/Peter-Lilley-Its-bastards-like-me-who-kept-us-out-of-the-Euro-Mr-Major.html

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    pangolin said:

mr_goo said:

Look I'm all for helping the environment, just as long as it doesn't affect me in any way shape of form. Even seeing the evidence of the environment being helped is too much.
    I'd frack under his house personally, that way he won't see it.

• pinno
    rjsterry said:

That stuff that leaked out of Selafield; at least you didn't see it.

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

People even managed to object to wind turbines next to the M6, and I would imagine that no one finds a motorway pretty or quiet.
  • Kay Burley empty chairing James Cleverly on Sky News is quite something

Fake news!

I thought you were better than this.
  • rick_chasey
    It did actually happen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602

Totally bizarre but Mr Goo seems to be the ultimate NIMBY. No doubt he read some totally made up or poorly researched report about how bad they are. I'm with rjsterry on this and think they look quite good as well as being an essential to any carbon reduction targets. I'm not sure Weymouth or Bournemouth will have much future in tourism when they are under water!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Kay Burley...........now that isn't someone I'd be wanting to have to talk to at any time of the day. Surely Sky News can find better to host programmes.

• TheBigBean
    pross said:

Totally bizarre but Mr Goo seems to be the ultimate NIMBY. No doubt he read some totally made up or poorly researched report about how bad they are. I'm with rjsterry on this and think they look quite good as well as being an essential to any carbon reduction targets. I'm not sure Weymouth or Bournemouth will have much future in tourism when they are under water!
    I wondered whether there should be a campaign against shipping within 7 miles of the shore. They might ruin the view for tourists.
  • haydenm
    haydenm Posts: 2,997

rjsterry said:

People even managed to object to wind turbines next to the M6, and I would imagine that no one finds a motorway pretty or quiet.
    This. I got into a 'discussion' with someone moaning about windfarms and commercial forestry either side of the M74. As someone who lives within 1.5 miles of the M74 I can safely say which has the most negative impact.

I wouldn't live here if it wasn't for a combination of all 3 to be honest...
  • TheBigBean
    haydenm said:

rjsterry said:

This. I got into a 'discussion' with someone moaning about windfarms and commercial forestry either side of the M74. As someone who lives within 1.5 miles of the M74 I can safely say which has the most negative impact.

I wouldn't live here if it wasn't for a combination of all 3 to be honest...
    Another excellent place for Extinction Rebellion to hold a protest.
  • Kay Burley...........now that isn't someone I'd be wanting to have to talk to at any time of the day. Surely Sky News can find better to host programmes.

From what filters out onto twitter, she's having quite a good election.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,584
    rjsterry said:

Has to be said that the wind farm off the coast of my home town Redcar actually improves the place a fair bit :)

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Of course he was.

Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mr_goo

Have a look at a map of South coast. Water between The Needles and Swanage. Now imagine 180 turbines sat in that bit of water. Each turbine blade is larger than the wingspan of a B747 jumbo jet.... The biggest turbines ever constructed.

That is why thousands objected to it. It would have been an industrial complex sat in a UNESCO world heritage site. The UKs only such designated site. Quite why the Crown Estates thought it a good idea in the first instance is beyond me.