BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,867
    stevo_666 said:

Has the General Election thread gone?

It seems to have disappeared. Hadn't noticed anything kicking off or getting nasty in there so not sure why it's gone. There's always the Labour party thread.
    It got posted up during the switchover period. It did say in the message about the new platform that posts in that period might not save (at that time it seemed only a few could actually post, I didn't have the option to do replies).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    edited November 2019
    The GE thread was just this thread pt 2 no? Keep it all in one place...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,466
    All the Brexit party is doing is compromising the Conservative majority.
    Given the Lib dems (rising in polls to 17% !!), labour @ 25% and the Conservatives @ 39%, the Cons will win but they won't have a parliamentary majority (without coalition), it's heading towards a hung parliament.
    Labour/Lib dem pact is unlikely as the LD's will probably not go back on their promise to end Brexit and even so, that would not be enough to form a parliamentary majority anyway.
    Brexit party are sinking to 10% against a previous high in June of 25%. I think that's down to BoJo .
    However, the Brexit party are given disproportionate media attention given their size and that's plain wrong.

Source: All GB wide polls
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/ng-interactive/2019/oct/31/uk-general-election-2019-poll-tracker
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,818
    edited November 2019
    They made the forum read-only on Monday but somehow a few people could still post. Everything between Monday and the new forum going live on Thursday has been wiped.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,759
    rjsterry said:

They made the forum read-only on Monday but somehow a few people could still post. Everything between Monday and the new forum going live on Thursday has been wiped.

No big loss :) The new forum is the bigger problem...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    rjsterry said:

Indeed. Did you see that username Wayne Plunger outed himself as the infamous Frank Wilson and created a thread about his favourite topic?
  • shortfall
    I'm hoping Robert can get himself back on the new board and continue explaining his hilarious theories on defence spending and military power. I do so miss his regular investment updates as well............
  • Stevo_666
    shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

Indeed. Did you see that username Wayne Plunger outed himself as the infamous Frank Wilson and created a thread about his favourite topic?
    I suspect quite a few second users will have fallen by the wayside with the forum changeover. I fear we may never see the likes of Teagar again :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    9h
    Latest Westminster voting intention (31 Oct - 1 Nov)

Conservative - 39% (+3 from 29-30 Oct)
    Labour - 27% (+6)
    Lib Dem - 16% (-2)
    Brexit Party - 7% (-6)
    Green - 4% (-2)
    Other - 7% (+1)

Interesting - Labour have had a decent week.

Brexit Party are dead in the water.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,466
    shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

Link?! Or has that been lost by Pickfords along the way?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    9h

Labour - 27% (+6)
    Lib Dem - 16% (-2)
    Brexit Party - 7% (-6)
    Green - 4% (-2)
    Other - 7% (+1)

Farage came across asa desperate to$$er begging to be taken seriously on the telly today.
    I don't understand why he gets more screen time in a GE than Lib Dems when the have zero MP's ?
  • The contract for the type 31 frigate was meant to be awarded in December. I bet that wont happen now.

I wo der who is going to increase defence spending.

I doubt we will be leaving the eu anytime soon.
    www.thecycleclinic.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    shortfall said:

I'm hoping Robert can get himself back on the new board and continue explaining his hilarious theories on defence spending and military power. I do so miss his regular investment updates as well............

:D
  • shortfall
    edited November 2019
    pinno said:

shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

It was a new thread in Cakestop immediately prior to posting permissions being halted for the forum change. It's not made it across but basically it consisted of him announcing himself as Frank and telling us why he didn't like "bummers.". Various references to Elton John and David Furnish. Not that he's obsessed lol.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,919

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    9h

Labour - 27% (+6)
    Lib Dem - 16% (-2)
    Brexit Party - 7% (-6)
    Green - 4% (-2)
    Other - 7% (+1)

Presumably the problem for the Tories re the Brexit party is more around where that 7% is being counted.

Let me put it this way, if you're in your classic stereotypical leave northern voter that they appear to be targetting; you've voted labour your entire life, and you voted leave. Depending on how much Brexit bothers you you'll either continue to vote Labour as you always have (since people seem much more bound by their social tribalism in GEs over other elections), or you'll vote Brexit party.

You're not ever gonna vote Tory. Ever.
  • Farage isn't standing for parliament. Isn't he an MEP? I believe MEPs get better expenses and benefits than MPs. Just how much longer can UK MEPs keep getting paid?

Perhaps the Brexit party drop in the polls is linked. Brexit on hold for a full term? Conspiracy theory?
  • rjsterry
    An interesting article on how voters don't fit as neatly into left and right wing tribes and parties are missing a trick if they ignore this.

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/08/14/left-wing-vs-right-wing-its-complicated?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=website_article&utm_campaign=left_right_wing
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,744
    shortfall said:

pinno said:

shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

It was a new thread in Cakestop immediately prior to posting permissions being halted for the forum change. It's not made it across but basically it consisted of him announcing himself as Frank and telling us why he didn't like "bummers.". Various references to Elton John and David Furnish. Not that he's obsessed lol.
    I saw that. I did wonder if it was a wind up. Or WP/FW/alt under the 'fluence of too many mild 'n' bitters.
  • orraloon said:

shortfall said:

pinno said:

shortfall said:

rjsterry said:

I saw that. I did wonder if it was a wind up. Or WP/FW/alt under the 'fluence of too many mild 'n' bitters.
    nothing mild about his bitterness.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,744

orraloon said:

nothing mild about his bitterness.
    :) I'll set 'em up, you knock 'em in.
  • tailwindhome
    Lot's of interesting tactical voting stuff happening in NI

In Nigel Dodds DUP seat in Belfast North the UUP and SDLP have both stood down

Now a straight fight between Sinn Fein and the DUP

(If the DUP it helps Boris - SF won't take their seat but perversely it helps Remain as there's one fewer Brexiteer)

In Sylvia Hermon's IND seat in North Down the SF and SDLP have both stood down

No nationalist party is standing in the seat

Now a straight fight between IND and the DUP

(If Hermon holds the seat it's probably one vote against Boris' deal BUT 1 vote for SM/CU/Revoke/Ref amendments)

In DUP held Belfast East SF have stood down - clearing the way for pro remain SDLP Claire Hanna to take the seat

Interesting one this, huge Remain majority in the seat but the remain vote was split 3 ways

In Fermanagh South Tyrone the DUP have stood down to give the UUP a clear run at trying to topple SF

This is interesting from a Unionist/Nationalist perspective BUT also from a Brexit perspective - the incoming UUP leader has been clear on his preference for Remain over the Boris deal.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,723

(If the DUP it helps Boris - SF won't take their seat but perversely it helps Remain as there's one fewer Brexiteer)

(If Hermon holds the seat it's probably one vote against Boris' deal BUT 1 vote for SM/CU/Revoke/Ref amendments)

In DUP held Belfast East SF have stood down - clearing the way for pro remain SDLP Claire Hanna to take the seat

Interesting one this, huge Remain majority in the seat but the remain vote was split 3 ways

In Fermanagh South Tyrone the DUP have stood down to give the UUP a clear run at trying to topple SF

This is interesting from a Unionist/Nationalist perspective BUT also from a Brexit perspective - the incoming UUP leader has been clear on his preference for Remain over the Boris deal.

Aren't all the NI parties now pro-remain? The only difference being SF don't take their seats.

• morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

Fascinating and proof (if it were needed) that FPTP is not fit for purpose in the information age where gaming the system is denying representation of peoples interests.
  • Pross

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    9h

Labour - 27% (+6)
    Lib Dem - 16% (-2)
    Brexit Party - 7% (-6)
    Green - 4% (-2)
    Other - 7% (+1)

Farage came across asa desperate to$$er begging to be taken seriously on the telly today.
    I don't understand why he gets more screen time in a GE than Lib Dems when the have zero MP's ?
    Had the same thoughts, he seems to be realising he's becoming irrelevant again and we'll either get an agreed Brexit he doesn't like or it won't happen. When challenged about the risk he would cost the Tories votes and therefore increase the risk of a Labour Government and Brexit not happening he kept going on about how he was going to take seats from Labour in places like South Wales. Living in a South Wales constituency he has no chance of winning them, when it comes down to it the majority in these areas just cannot bring themselves to vote for anyone but Labour in a General Election. I suspect the seats up north are probably the same.
  • rjsterry
    As someone else pointed out the other day, he's been trying to take seats off Labour for the last three general elections.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    To paraphrase The Usual Suspects - The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the Cameron he was a danger.
  • rjsterry
    Farage, "There will be no Brexit without the Brexit Party."

:D:D
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

Farage, "There will be no Brexit without the Brexit Party."

:D:D

Is that an S Club cover version?
  • tailwindhome

Aren't all the NI parties now pro-remain? The only difference being SF don't take their seats.

No, the DUP are still trying to walk an anti Boris' deal but pro brexit path.

The UUP were pro remain in the referendum but flipped to the 'it's a democratic decision' position, they are anti backstop, anti Boris' deal but may flip to more pro remain when their leader designate takes office. They have no MPs currently.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,723

No, the DUP are still trying to walk an anti Boris' deal but pro brexit path.

The UUP were pro remain in the referendum but flipped to the 'it's a democratic decision' position, they are anti backstop, anti Boris' deal but may flip to more pro remain when their leader designate takes office. They have no MPs currently.
    Thanks. That's about as clear as Labour's position then.