BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956

Aren't all the NI parties now pro-remain? The only difference being SF don't take their seats.

No, the DUP are still trying to walk an anti Boris' deal but pro brexit path.

The UUP were pro remain in the referendum but flipped to the 'it's a democratic decision' position, they are anti backstop, anti Boris' deal but may flip to more pro remain when their leader designate takes office. They have no MPs currently.
    Thanks. That's about as clear as Labour's position then.

The UUP are all over the place and were punished in the Euro elections.
    The Unionist Remainer vote is going moving to the Alliance Party and may never come back

The DUP in fairness are clear on what they want, they want NI to leave on the same basis as the rest of the UK.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Now I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories, but did anyone in government stop for even a second to think how this looks?

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election
  • Now I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories, but did anyone in government stop for even a second to think how this looks?

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/04/no-10-blocks-russia-eu-referendum-report-until-after-election

Looks better than the report.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,765
    According to the free rag this morning it is due to the clearance process for documents of this type not being completed before parliament dissolves tomorrow. Hey ho.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Has anyone on here discussed Transparency International and the £3.5m donation from the EU in 2018?

Supposedly Transparency Intl is an anti corruption watchdog. Their director of policy is Duncan Hames ex Lib Dem MP. Oh and the husband of Jo Swinson.

I believe that House of Commons law states that a conflict of interest has to be declared. To this date Jo Swinson hasn't.

Not exactly whiter than white as she professes to be. Don't mention to her the fact she voted for the bedroom tax or tripling of university fees. It might just make her more aggressive than she already is.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,923
    Stevo_666 said:

According to the free rag this morning it is due to the clearance process for documents of this type not being completed before parliament dissolves tomorrow. Hey ho.

The chairman of the cross-party intelligence and security committee has said "I cannot think of a reason why he should wish to prevent this report being published, It’s very demoralising for us when we find we put in months of work and at the end of it, we’re not getting an adequate response.It seems to us that this report is germane because we do know – and I think it is widely accepted – that the Russians have sought to interfere in other countries’ democratic processes in the past.”
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,823
    mr_goo said:

Has anyone on here discussed Transparency International and the £3.5m donation from the EU in 2018?

Supposedly Transparency Intl is an anti corruption watchdog. Their director of policy is Duncan Hames ex Lib Dem MP. Oh and the husband of Jo Swinson.

I believe that House of Commons law states that a conflict of interest has to be declared. To this date Jo Swinson hasn't.

Not exactly whiter than white as she professes to be. Don't mention to her the fact she voted for the bedroom tax or tripling of university fees. It might just make her more aggressive than she already is.

You realise that Transparency International also receives funding from the UK government?
    It's all there in their annual report.

https://www.transparency.org.uk/who-we-are/governance/annual-reports-accounts/

Help yourself to the tinfoil.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,726

Aren't all the NI parties now pro-remain? The only difference being SF don't take their seats.

The UUP were pro remain in the referendum but flipped to the 'it's a democratic decision' position, they are anti backstop, anti Boris' deal but may flip to more pro remain when their leader designate takes office. They have no MPs currently.

The Unionist Remainer vote is going moving to the Alliance Party and may never come back

The DUP in fairness are clear on what they want, they want NI to leave on the same basis as the rest of the UK.

My apologies, I saw Keir Starmer on TV this morning explaining Labour's Brexit policy. Nothing could be as confusing as that.

I said before that I thought Labour should have backed Boris's deal. I think that offering a referendum between it and remain would be a credible vote winning position. Instead, they have chosen a shambles.
  • mr_goo said:

Do you see her as being more aggressive than the other leaders?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956

My apologies, I saw Keir Starmer on TV this morning explaining Labour's Brexit policy. Nothing could be as confusing as that.

I said before that I thought Labour should have backed Boris's deal. I think that offering a referendum between it and remain would be a credible vote winning position. Instead, they have chosen a shambles.
    Both the DUP and Labour should have backed May's deal

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rjsterry

mr_goo said:

Pretty clear he just sees the letters EU and assumes a conspiracy.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mr_goo
    rjsterry said:

mr_goo said:

You realise that Transparency International also receives funding from the UK government?

I'm merely pointing out that I do not think her agenda to save the UK from 'disaster' is as altruistic as portrayed by her and the LibDem spin machine. No matter where her husband's company gets funding from. There's no escaping that they benefit from the EU with direct payment.

Very similar to when Nick Clegg was deputy PM. There was a real push for green energy by his side of the table, particularly wind farms. Never mind the fact his wife was on the board of Europe's largest wind turbine manufacturer.

All higher profile politicians it seems have financial agendas to benefit themselves..... Apart from Teresa May from what I hear.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • mr_goo

mr_goo said:

Yes. I do find her very aggressive.
  • rick_chasey
    mr_goo said:

rjsterry said:

mr_goo said:

I'm merely pointing out that I do not think her agenda to save the UK from 'disaster' is as altruistic as portrayed by her and the LibDem spin machine. No matter where her husband's company gets funding from. There's no escaping that they benefit from the EU with direct payment.

Very similar to when Nick Clegg was deputy PM. There was a real push for green energy by his side of the table, particularly wind farms. Never mind the fact his wife was on the board of Europe's largest wind turbine manufacturer.

All higher profile politicians it seems have financial agendas to benefit themselves..... Apart from Teresa May from what I hear.
    if you fancy conspiracy theories, try out who May is married to.
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2019
    mr_goo said:

rjsterry said:

mr_goo said:

It's not a company and it isn't 'his'. Like I said all the funding is published in the charity's annual report. The funding from the EU in in 18-19 was.... Nothing.

The rag that you copied and pasted this nonsense from should check it's facts. A 30 second search was all it took.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Jacob Rees-Mogg covered himself in glory talking about Grenfell, I see.

Monday: "I think if either of us were in a fire, whatever the fire brigade said, we would leave the burning building. It just seems the common sense thing to do."

Tuesday: "What I meant to say is that I would have also listened to the fire brigade's advice to stay and wait at the time."
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    mr_goo said:

mr_goo said:

WTF?
    You presumably haven't heard any other politician speaking, ever.

Or surely it can't be that you've got that classic bias that rates women as worse than men for the same behaviour?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,874
    rjsterry said:

mr_goo said:

You realise that this is Goo and the forum being down meant he wasn't able to launch an ill-informed, non-researched rant for a few days?
  • mr_goo said:

mr_goo said:

Passive-aggressive, maybe?
  • rjsterry
    Literally the next link down after the NyeBevanNews website that pushed the made up story in the first place.

https://firstdraftnews.org/latest/jo-swinson-targeted-with-disinformation-by-left-and-right-leaning-voices-over-brexit/

TI is an international NGO, not a family company.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mr_goo

mr_goo said:

mr_goo said:

Passive-aggressive, maybe?
    Yes that.
  • mr_goo
    rjsterry said:

Literally the next link down after the NyeBevanNews website that pushed the made up story in the first place.

https://firstdraftnews.org/latest/jo-swinson-targeted-with-disinformation-by-left-and-right-leaning-voices-over-brexit/

Still it's in her/her husband's interest that UK remain in EU.
  • rick_chasey
    It's in the vast majority of people's interest Goo.
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2019
    mr_goo said:

rjsterry said:

He's not even on the board FFS. It's a made up story with a sprinkling of half-facts to make it seem real.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,874
    You can certainly see why fake news is so prevalent when there are so many gullible people willing to believe anything they read that supports their blinkered view without even carrying out any rudimentary fact checking.
  • rjsterry
    And in the same vein, the Conservatives have just been caught editing video footage of a GMB interview to make it look as though Starmer didn't answer a question when in fact he did.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCDanielS/status/1191732381306277890?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Not that some Momentum nitwit won't be doing the same.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mr_goo
    rjsterry said:

mr_goo said:

rjsterry said:

He's not even on the board FFS. It's a made up story with a sprinkling of half-facts to make it seem real.
    FFS. Really? You have to resort to that ?
  • rjsterry
    mr_goo said:

rjsterry said:

mr_goo said:

rjsterry said:

FFS. Really? You have to resort to that ?
    Sorry if I'm being a bit blunt. You started off claiming Hames was a director of a company that had received money from the European Union, implying (without any evidence) that he was personally benefitting from that donation and that it was not entirely above board.

It's an NGO, not a business and he's not a company director. The fundamentals of the story are incorrect. The EU is one of many donors to TI, including a comparable amount from our own government. But you still want to claim there is something fishy with people being paid for their work.

Nye Bevan must be spinning in his grave to see his name used to front such deliberate misinformation.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,471
    rjsterry said:

Sure, but we have run out.

Rees Mogg what an odious cunt. It's official. Will he need body guards should he dare to step out to campaigning within his constituency? How many voted has he single handedly lost the Cons?
    Have the Cons lost North Kensington already?
    Is it not going to go away this gaff and does that mean the ERG Maastricht bastards will be a man down?
    Can Alun Cairns really stay on or will the Cons be another man down?
    Are they all reading the Trump manual?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mr_goo
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Sure, but we have run out.

Rees Mogg what an odious cunt. It's official. Will he need body guards should he dare to step out to campaigning within his constituency? How many voted has he single handedly lost the Cons?
    Have the Cons lost North Kensington already?
    Is it not going to go away this gaff and does that mean the ERG Maastricht bastards will be a man down?
    Can Alun Cairns really stay on or will the Cons be another man down?
    Are they all reading the Trump manual?

Language Timothy!