BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    Stevo_666 said:

As mentioned in the other thread I got an email from Jeremy himself asking me for help to write the Labour manifesto. They must be clueless w@nkers :)

You do know that email went to all Labour Party members?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646

From the beach they would be invisible. Curvature of the earth, haze, salt spray, southerly aspect.

Then they should build more, closer to the shore. I think they look majestic and would happily sit on a beach looking at them.
    There are going to be a lot more built although the trend is further out to sea e.g. Hornsea.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    NI's only independent and only sitting non DUP MP Syvia Hermon is standing down.

That should mean a DUP gain in North Down
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,646

NI's only independent and only sitting non DUP MP Syvia Hermon is standing down.

Does she say why?
  • The Times today has an "Ask Jacob" agony aunt column:

Dear Jacob,
    My bike was stolen last week and I’m wondering if you can tell me all the ways I am almost certainly to blame for this?
    I thank you for your obliging expressions on the subject of your bicycle. I travel by hansom cab or barouche* and toss the driver a farthing for his trouble. The fellow may protest in the vilest, most common language, but I politely tip my hat and proceed on my way, sometimes twirling my cane and booting street urchins out of the way. If you had the funds to travel everywhere by hansom cab or barouche or were a duke, say, you would not require a bicycle and your bicycle would not have been stolen. Therefore, I have no sympathy for you and neither does Nanny, who says I must now wash my hands and “wash them properly, Jacob!”.

Dear Jacob,
    My home was burgled recently and I’m struggling to understand how I might blame myself for this. But I know you’ll help!
    Indeed. I would say you should never leave your townhouse or country house without leaving a cook, a butler, six parlour maids, four footmen and a chimney boy on the premises. If you do not leave a cook, a butler, six parlour maids, four footmen and a chimney boy on the premises, you only have yourself to blame, because it is the common-sense thing to do. I hope this is just the sort of heartless, out-of-touch advice you were seeking.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,377

If you hold a biro horizontally at arms length, it would more than cover them.

Not duct tape the biro to your glasses?1
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    pinno said:

This could be a good compromise solution. If Goo does this, he'll not be able to see the turbines at all, and the rest of us can get on with it.
  • NI's only independent and only sitting non DUP MP Syvia Hermon is standing down.

Does she say why?
    a 9mm catridge under the pillow often helps perspective on career direction.
  • pinno said:

This could be a good compromise solution. If Goo does this, he'll not be able to see the turbines at all, and the rest of us can get on with it.
    also won't be able to see his boss, his last boss, his next boss, bro in law or the rich bloke who in 1843 took away his ancient right to graze cattle on the local common
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498

pinno said:

There's more than just the view to object against the planning - that area is also used extensively for navigation - windfarms normally have an exclusion zone - I guess (I've not looked) they've included some channels for passing through so effectively drives all the traffic into a narrow channel - which isn't so easy to pass along.You may think it a minor irritation, but in adverse conditions (which some find themselves in) it could become quite serious.
    The English Channel is very busy with traffic - there's no where that won't affect sailors - either professional or leisure - so selecting a suitable site that makes economic sense with the least impact on users is very tricky.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,581
    elbowloh said:

orraloon said:

But recently we’ve spent far too long going nowhere, spinning round in a hamster wheel of doom.

Gridlock. Indecision. Uncertainty. It’s time to put the last three years behind us.

Its almost like they're saying they weren't in government for the last 3 years or that they didn't create and perpetuate the 3 years of fecking going nowhere!
    Don't worry, odds on we'll be going somewhere soon ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • The likes of you will be going to the gulag under the new PM.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

As mentioned in the other thread I got an email from Jeremy himself asking me for help to write the Labour manifesto. They must be clueless w@nkers :)

You do know that email went to all Labour Party members?

Of course. Didn't think it needed saying...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

The likes of you will be going to the gulag under the new PM.

Let's see if there's any mention of it in the manifesto :) I'd certainly be busy if I'm not sent to the salt mines.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    edited November 2019
    Is it me getting older and even more cynical or are the lies campaigning pledges even more transparently BS than normal this time?

This is not aimed at any one party, just for the record.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • longshot said:

Is it me getting older and even more cyclical or are the lies campaigning pledges even more transparently BS than normal this time?

This is not aimed at any one party, just for the record.

I find it strangely refreshing that Labour don't find it necessary this time to come up with spurious ways they are going to pay for everything. Saves everyone a tedious debate about how much a specific tax increase is going to undershoot their estimates by.

Lib Dems are going to pay for everything by cancelling Brexit which seems a little bit disingenuous.
  • cancel HS2, Brexit and Trident and you would probably have £100bn but as said above nobody feels the need to justify their lies
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Tories accuse Labour of having to break spending rules and increase borrowing in order to fund their investment plans before Sajid Javid brings out spending plans that can only be funded through increased borrowing and the breaking of their own spending rules!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    elbowloh said:

Tories accuse Labour of having to break spending rules and increase borrowing in order to fund their investment plans before Sajid Javid brings out spending plans that can only be funded through increased borrowing and the breaking of their own spending rules!

Different order of magnitude.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,703
    elbowloh said:

Only differences seem to be 3% vs 6% GDP limit on debt servicing and the number of billions to be borrowed. IFS
    saying that either would be the biggest sustained government spend in 40 years. Rather undermines the necessity argument for the cuts of the last few years.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Except that its the Tories own spending rules they're breaking and Labour have never sold themselves as the party of economic prudence.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

elbowloh said:

Except that its the Tories own spending rules they're breaking and Labour have never sold themselves as the party of economic prudence.
    They did, but only when it was the way to neuter the Conservative message about them being irresponsible. When the Conservatives are going full on Brexit and also planning on increasing borrowing, that attack probably isn't going to work.

If it is for investment, then there's a good argument for it. If it's just funding spending (like "investing in employing more nurses"), then it's more difficult to justify.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,377
    slowbike said:

pinno said:

There's more than just the view to object against the planning - that area is also used extensively for navigation - windfarms normally have an exclusion zone - I guess (I've not looked) they've included some channels for passing through so effectively drives all the traffic into a narrow channel - which isn't so easy to pass along.You may think it a minor irritation, but in adverse conditions (which some find themselves in) it could become quite serious.
    The English Channel is very busy with traffic - there's no where that won't affect sailors - either professional or leisure - so selecting a suitable site that makes economic sense with the least impact on users is very tricky.
    That part of La Manche is quite wide. Why not sail round?

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    From Simon Nixon in The Times.

There’s no chance fibber Johnson will ‘get Brexit done’ by end of January > my latest on the prime minister’s refusal to be straight with voters about the trade-offs under his deal

https://t.co/lThJSgSFJB?amp=1

Maybe Farage is right about something.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry said:

From Simon Nixon in The Times.

There’s no chance fibber Johnson will ‘get Brexit done’ by end of January > my latest on the prime minister’s refusal to be straight with voters about the trade-offs under his deal

https://t.co/lThJSgSFJB?amp=1

Maybe Farage is right about something.
    Just read that too - it's quite an article. "chief leader writer of The Times"

"Of course, if Mr Johnson capitulates to the EU’s demands as completely as he did in the first phase of the negotiations, it remains theoretically possible that such a deal could be negotiated by the end of next year. Yet even then, it’s unlikely that he would have “got Brexit done”. Faced with such obvious disruption to their supply chains arising from these new frictions, businesses are bound to clamour for a new transition period to adapt to the changes. Besides, much more likely is that Mr Johnson will not want, nor will his party allow him, to capitulate so readily to EU demands. In that case, one more year of negotiations is very unlikely to be enough to “get Brexit done”.

One might hope that, going into such a momentous election, the prime minister would be honest with the British public about these trade-offs. Instead, Mr Johnson appears to have started as he means to go on."
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2019
    One might hope that, going into such a momentous election, the prime minister would be honest with the British public

Pffffft 😂😂😂

Fibber Johnson should definitely be a meme.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    pinno said:

slowbike said:

pinno said:

I forgot about the cables. The width of cabling for the scheme was as wide as a dual carriageway. At point of landfall they would have then had to make a cutting in the cliffs and dug out for a dusty of approximately 25miles, right through the New Forest.
    There was also the impact on bird migration. The stretch of water concerned is a main route for migratory birds to and from UK.
    Also it would have impacted on the delicate ecology of the seabed.... Seahorses found in this area.

Seemingly the LibDem supporters on here don't give a 5hit.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Longshot
    Longshot Posts: 940
    mr_goo said:

pinno said:

slowbike said:

pinno said:

I forgot about the cables. The width of cabling for the scheme was as wide as a dual carriageway. At point of landfall they would have then had to make a cutting in the cliffs and dug out for a dusty of approximately 25miles, right through the New Forest.
    There was also the impact on bird migration. The stretch of water concerned is a main route for migratory birds to and from UK.
    Also it would have impacted on the delicate ecology of the seabed.... Seahorses found in this area.

Your back yard is not nearly as important as my back yard.
    You can fool some of the people all of the time. Concentrate on those people.
  • I think I have said elsewhere that the Tories will tear themselves apart over this. my prediction is that Cameron will appear to be tough on this, and bluff the electorate. However, he will not be tough enough for his own party. I doubt you will see Dave nail his colours to the mast, and as usual he will vacillate too long, seeing which way the wind blows. No politician would willingly enter into a refendum they might "lose". But he will, and pretty much regardless of the outcome, Boris and the rest of his chums will have the knives out. They all know this is a poisonous topic for the Conservatives, and it will be Dave C who ends up with the daggers in his back. He is either a naive idiot badly informed by his policy wonks, or he has done a deal to take the hit, resign and move over for another person. He has already said he is not doing a third term. Lord Cameron of Newquay sounds good, doesn't it?

Don't believe the UK voters would vote to stay in the EU. After all, everything is the fault of foreigners, right?

Fair play for this post on page 1.
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2019
    mr_goo said:

pinno said:

slowbike said:

pinno said:

If that's aimed at me - 🙋‍♂️ - I think the ecological and disruption to sailing arguments are much stronger than the supposed harm to tourism. I'm not entirely convinced that that was the primary objection to the scheme, though. Anyway it hasn't happened. Happy to have them appropriately sited in the Thames or Severn Estuaries.
    Pinnacle Monzonite