BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• Happy third Brexit day everyone.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,774
    shortfall said:

Has Robert just eclipsed the Bungle threads?

It's a close run thing :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,956
    rjsterry said:

So much for the 31st. Anyone think we'll be out by the end of January (2020, for clarity)?

Depends what you mean by out.
  • Stevo_666
    Rolf F said:

ballysmate wrote:

Rolf. I think the word you are looking for is REGION.

I'm not looking for any word - I'm just observing that Stevo has changed the reference from EU to Europe. I'm not sure that relationships of any form, let alone militarily, between EU countries are exactly comparable eg to that of N and S Korea.

Lack of terminological precision, accidental or deliberate, really screws up debates if you actually are interested in the debate rather than scoring misleading points.

I'm simply using the definitions of regions that are in the link.

Doesn't change the point that Robert is talking crap.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,829

rjsterry said:

So much for the 31st. Anyone think we'll be out by the end of January (2020, for clarity)?

Depends what you mean by out.
    Just no longer members. I'm resisting the temptation to make a Micky Flanagan reference. :smile:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    edited November 2019
    Christ, a completely shit change of forum platform has managed to quieten down brexit talk! I wonder how the same could be done in real life. I think it's probably meant that people have to figure something out before communicating. Now, imagine if the same could apply for most of the people who voted for brexit, the country would be so peacefully quiet.
  • rick_chasey
    stevo_666 said:

pblakeney wrote:

Robert88 wrote:

Why would/does the UK want to be linked militarily with the USA? It is better to be in a league with our peers than to be tied up to a country that will boss us about.

I have one unfortunate word for you, Trident.

Shhh. Maybe they won't notice.

Given how much most EU countries spend on defence I don't think they can be called 'peers'. In the EU, only Greece spends more as a % of GDP than the UK.

France, no?
  • rick_chasey

France, no?
  • rick_chasey
    Ah this new format is confusing me.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770

stevo_666 said:

pblakeney wrote:

Robert88 wrote:

Why would/does the UK want to be linked militarily with the USA? It is better to be in a league with our peers than to be tied up to a country that will boss us about.

I have one unfortunate word for you, Trident.

Shhh. Maybe they won't notice.

Given how much most EU countries spend on defence I don't think they can be called 'peers'. In the EU, only Greece spends more as a % of GDP than the UK.

France, no?

The Greek defence spend is nearly all for German manufactured equipment. The German government kept feeding Greece credit lines and now look at the mess.
    French defence acquisition is very insular. L'Armee De L'Air front line is virtually all Dassault which is propped up by the Elysee palace (not in the EU rules, but it's France, they bend the rules). The French then go and hawk their new toys to all their old colonies... and the Argies.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • rick_chasey
    Sure, but I thought France spends 0.5% more of its GDP (which is already bigger than the UK) on its armed forces compared to the UK.
  • rick_chasey
    More generally, in the hypothetical world of a Russian invasion of Europe, I would back Europe over Russia, nuclear holocaust aside.
  • Ah this new format is confusing me.

my eyes are on fire arghhhhh
  • More generally, in the hypothetical world of a Russian invasion of Europe, I would back Europe over Russia, nuclear holocaust aside.

not many European countries can project force. Assuming no yanks the only things stopping Russia would be logistics and their own shortcomings.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    edited November 2019
    mfin said:

a completely shit change of platform

Well that's Brexit to a T isn't it?
  • my eyes are on fire arghhhhhhhh.....................
  • my eyes are on fire arghhhhhhhh.....................
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    edited November 2019
    Faridge says BP will contest every seat and that the Deal is not Brexit.

The plot thickens....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Faridge days BP will contest every seat and that the Deal is not Brexit.

The plot thickens....

It sounds like generally good news for everyone except Conservatives (and people who don't want him to be on the TV more), but I don't trust him not to do a deal just before the nomination deadline on the 14th November. I also wouldn't put it past him to deliberately sabotage Johnson to keep the money coming in to Brexit Party Ltd.
  • ddraver said:

Faridge days BP will contest every seat and that the Deal is not Brexit.

The plot thickens....

It sounds like generally good news for everyone except Conservatives (and people who don't want him to be on the TV more), but I don't trust him not to do a deal just before the nomination deadline on the 14th November. I also wouldn't put it past him to deliberately sabotage Johnson to keep the money coming in to Brexit Party Ltd.
    Farage doesn't care about brexit, only about farage. BJ to call his bluff.
  • Stevo_666

Sure, but I thought France spends 0.5% more of its GDP (which is already bigger than the UK) on its armed forces compared to the UK.

Funny, the source i looked at had the UK ahead on % of GDP. Looked again and saw a source showing France ahead.

GDP wise it looks level pegging, although naturally you will generally favour an EU country over the UK whatever is being discussed.
    https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/uk/france
  • rick_chasey

More generally, in the hypothetical world of a Russian invasion of Europe, I would back Europe over Russia, nuclear holocaust aside.

not many European countries can project force. Assuming no yanks the only things stopping Russia would be logistics and their own shortcomings.
    Mo people mo money
  • rjsterry
    Is this now the Top Trumps thread?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Yes. It’s Friday and my lunch was too spicy so it’s all I can muster
  • rjsterry
    Bloating 7.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    Honestly, I'm pretty good with spice but I've felt like I've got a nuclear reaction going on in my belly for the past 2hrs.

Not looking forward to having to cash this particular cheque that my mouth has written.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,958
    Has the General Election thread gone?

Anyway.

In the constituency of Belfast North the UUP have had death threats issued against their activists as they'd suggested that they may stand against the DUP.

How's things in your constituency?

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,905
    I'm guessing Jim Ratcliffe hasn't been contributing enough to Brexit and Boris's election fund recently for the Tories to pull the plug of fr@cking?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,114
    pross said:

I'm guessing Jim Ratcliffe hasn't been contributing enough to Brexit and Boris's election fund recently for the Tories to pull the plug of fr@cking?

If one were cynical, one might question how long after the election the moratorium will last. It will be interesting to see how much the frackers put into Tory coffers in the meantime.

Though, of course, I realise that no-one on Cake Stop is cynical.
  • Stevo_666
    edited November 2019

Has the General Election thread gone?

It seems to have disappeared. Hadn't noticed anything kicking off or getting nasty in there so not sure why it's gone. There's always the Labour party thread.