JTL wants comeback

Comments

• Supporter of Sky, transparency and clean cycling. Opponent of pseudoscience.

The greatest clean cycling performance ever http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eiN2vfGKhk
  • Nice work everybody!
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Unhappy about being given a cat2 race license

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... ium=Social
  • Dav1d1 wrote:

Well with his god given talent, he'll be able to hoover up the points to get back up to elite in no time!

Unless organisers start returning his entries en masse. What? Oh...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Dav1d1 wrote:

Well with his god given talent, he'll be able to hoover up the points to get back up to elite in no time!

my thoughts exactly, if what he says is true that he top 20'd at the worlds days after a gigantic session on the beers then winning enough reg A, nat B to get 1st cat early season will be a walk in the park. He hasn't raced to two years and has dropped down two categories which is normal is it not?
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Dav1d1 wrote:

Then he shouldn't have doped. Pretty simple :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Dav1d1 wrote:

and as long as he doesnt follow that Sky training regime again as that wasnt very successful was it
  • awavey wrote:
    Dav1d1 wrote:

and as long as he doesnt follow that Sky training regime again as that wasnt very successful was it

The whole "stop taking the drugs" stuff did seem to put him to his natural level, yes
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I think he should be grateful he has only dropped to Cat 2!! He was the one who chose to dope. Personally i think anyone found guilty of doping should be dropped to the lowest level of the sport and have to build their way back up - clean!

Out of interest, how often are Cat 2 riders tested??
  • redvision wrote:
    I think he should be grateful he has only dropped to Cat 2!! He was the one who chose to dope. Personally i think anyone found guilty of doping should be dropped to the lowest level of the sport and have to build their way back up - clean!

Out of interest, how often are Cat 2 riders tested??

In the UK I don't think you get many people getting tested unless they have won a national title, or it is a targeted test. If he start smashing races to bits I wouldn't be surprised to see him target tested a few times
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    My man!

This month 4 years ago he was matching Quintana on the climbs - and then later went on to be GB's protected rider at the Worlds. Now he's back, surely at least 2 of his ardent pro managerial supporters (Tom Southam at Drapac or Brian Smith at Dimension Data, for example) would want to snap up a rider of his calibre?
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    My man!

This month 4 years ago he was matching Quintana on the climbs - and then later went on to be GB's protected rider at the Worlds. Now he's back, surely at least 2 of his ardent pro managerial supporters (Tom Southam at Drapac or Brian Smith at Dimension Data, for example) would want to snap up a rider of his calibre?

You'd think, wouldn't you
  • Ste_S
    Ste_S Posts: 1,173
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    My man!

Doesn't Vaughters normally employ riders who juiced up through the amateur ranks and then get busted after turning pro ?
    JTL is like the UK Tom Danielson, but only not as good.
  • OCDuPalais wrote:
    My man!

Brian Smith at Dimension Data, for example would want to snap up a rider of his calibre?

I don't think he's ever heard of him??
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    My man!

Brian Smith at Dimension Data, for example would want to snap up a rider of his calibre?

I don't think he's ever heard of him??

“I can’t explain any of the irregularities but I would definitely vouch 100 per cent for John,” Smith, who was Endura's general manager, told Cyclingnews.

“For me, I don’t know how he’s going to explain this to the UCI but I don’t think he should have anything to worry about. I can put my hand up though and say 100 per cent that I don’t think he was doping at Endura Racing. There was no suspicion, no nothing.”
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,642
    Given the outrage some people spew I've always wondered why Brian Smith hasn't had a harder time over this.
  • What's Brian Smith supposed to say there, assuming he doesn't know any more than the rest of us?

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dish_dash wrote:
    Given the outrage some people spew I've always wondered why Brian Smith hasn't had a harder time over this.
    Because it gets in the way of giving Sky a hard time.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • What's Brian Smith supposed to say there, assuming he doesn't know any more than the rest of us?

JTL's big wins were all with Endura, and JTL was the big winner for Endura in 2012.

One could even speculate that those very successes were key in NetApp doing the merger with Endura

So yeah, Smith has probably got off lightly in terms of the spotlight.

But he's with that nice Dimension Data team, so....
  • inseine
    dish_dash wrote:

Being 100% sure about anything is a dangerous position to take, even as his old boss.
  • dish_dash
    He remained supportive of JTL throughout the process. I'm not bothered, but others in the sport get lambasted for less...

I tend to agree with you Rich.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    OH MY GOD BRIAN GET OUT OF THE SPORT! NEVER NEVER NEVER BE HEARD ON EUROSPORT AGAIN!!!

Better?

OK.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    :lol:
  • inseine
    You've got to admire Smiths stance on doping in the past and his support of JTL did really make me question whether they'd made the right call in his case. Maybe JTL is innocent! Either way i think Smith was a bit too sure of himself on this occasion.
  • inseine wrote:
    You've got to admire Smiths stance on doping in the past and his support of JTL did really make me question whether they'd made the right call in his case. Maybe JTL is innocent! Either way i think Smith was a bit too sure of himself on this occasion.

That would be the stance in the past that made him draw a comparison between LA Confidential and 'comic books'?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/interview ... tWdDvntk3M

Look, I am not saying that he was behind JTL's shenanigans. But he has got off lightly from any real spotlight as the Endura team manager
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

That would be the stance in the past that made him draw a comparison between LA Confidential and 'comic books'?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/interview ... tWdDvntk3M

Look, I am not saying that he was behind JTL's shenanigans. But he has got off lightly from any real spotlight as the Endura team manager

I didn't know about this. I guess non of us is perfect!
    I was refering to him forgoing a promising pro career rather than be part of Motorolas doping program.
  • inseine wrote:

Given his past experiences in the 90s I' am sure Brian will have had a clue what was going on.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Brian Smith comes across as a decent guy who loves cycling and who backed a rider he believed was clean, seems to be pretty much what Sky did too given they signed him. Even if he had some doubts at the time what was he meant to say - "yeah JTL has been great for us, so good in fact there's got to be a chance he's juiced" ?

I don't think Sky deserve much criticism for signing him btw, possibly they had the resources to check him out more than Endura did but unless they wilfully turned a blind eye to evidence he was a doper it's just one of those things.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Brian Smith comes across as a decent guy who loves cycling and who backed a rider he believed was clean, seems to be pretty much what Sky did too given they signed him. Even if he had some doubts at the time what was he meant to say - "yeah JTL has been great for us, so good in fact there's got to be a chance he's juiced" ?

I don't think Sky deserve much criticism for signing him btw, possibly they had the resources to check him out more than Endura did but unless they wilfully turned a blind eye to evidence he was a doper it's just one of those things.

Sky only signed him because Vaughters was going to and Dave B didn't want to lose face. He was told not to sign him but he did anyway.