Pacenti SL23 Volta 11s Hubs £169.99 now £149.99 Doh

Comments

• Friggin pain in the arse, the rim tape they supply is quite thick which dosen't help but looks good quality that's the downside with these rims.
  • banditvic wrote:
    Friggin pain in the ars*, the rim tape they supply is quite thick which dosen't help but looks good quality that's the downside with these rims.

What tyres did you fit?
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • Gatorskins but I have tried Pro 4's and others all are very tight knew that before purchased as I already have a set, wouldn't mind finding a set that goes on easy though.
  • banditvic wrote:
    Gatorskins but I have tried Pro 4's and others all are very tight knew that before purchased as I already have a set, wouldn't mind finding a set that goes on easy though.

Are they all normal clinchers or have you tried tubeless?
    2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    2010 Colnago C50
    2005 Colnago C40
    2002 Colnago CT1
    2010 Colnago World Cup
    2013 Cinelli Supercorsa
    2009 Merckx LXM
    1995 Lemond Gan Team
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    VIttoria race level tyres and Schwalbe Ultremos are normally pretty loose fit - there are times with Vittorias they've gone on so easily it's made me wonder how easily they might come off when they aren't meant to.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • The Holland mechanics OT robot will reject a wheel if it is out by +-0.2mm.

Why setting a total offset of 0.4 mm on a rim like the Pacenti SL 23? 0.4 mm is pretty paltry for a high end rim that very easily builds below 0.2 mm (+or - 0.1mm). Strada even claim all their wheels are within 0.1 mm (+ or - 0.05 mm) I always thought the point of using high end rims as opposed to cheap ones is that they can be built to stricter tolerances...

Quoting Van Doornik
    manufacturers use the machines according to their own wheel building ‘recipe’ and more generally, the quality of the build improves the longer the hoop spends in the machine
    left the forum March 2023
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Keen to see a picture of these too as was very close to ordering until I picked up some 6 month old Shimano RS81 C24 for £170 ! Clincher tyre fitting was a factor me too as I already had some Pro4s purchased that I wanted to use.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • For anyone wanting to know what they look likeI have a set of both.

Grey hubs on sapim laser. My weights with rim tape and spacers f690g r900g

6198425fd93b65195d965d9daa617f95_zps8b643af3.jpg

0df88427ec7cf71426ba0f170d1fab48_zpscafb7d9c.jpg

b83ab35feb12487a13d13726c2fb06d8_zpsf5b9847b.jpg

7216be51774407d404d792c06fa019d0_zpsc8b60151.jpg

Here is the 28 spoke as fitted to my bike. Weights with rim tape and spacers f740g r990g

38bc8c9ab38c2b8d0a05e45cf8cf2c6d_zpseb928692.jpg

25 mm GP 4 seasons went on no troubles. I'm used to stans mtb rims so know the correct way to mount them. Just a single lever for the last 6 inches of beading. The rim tape supplied is far better than superstars old red tape. If going tubeless I'd recommend gorilla tape over stans. It's far cheaper and you can cut it to size.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Mine arrived today - nice fast delivery

They look pretty wide! Ride report... and tyre mounting report to come soon.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It is actually possible to mount 4 seasons tyres without a tyre lever. One of the easier tyres for these rims is the verdestein tri comp fortezza and the Conti GP4000s.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    It is actually possible to mount 4 seasons tyres without a tyre lever. One of the easier tyres for these rims is the verdestein tri comp fortezza and the Conti GP4000s.

Whereas Schwalbe's are a nightmare!
  • It is actually possible to mount 4 seasons tyres without a tyre lever. One of the easier tyres for these rims is the verdestein tri comp fortezza and the Conti GP4000s.

Vredestein seem to have changed their line-up (now called Senso). Any ideas if they still fit well?

http://www.vredestein.com/two-wheel-tyres/race/

Are Schwable Ultremos or Ones definitely a bad idea?
  • LegendLust

Vredestein seem to have changed their line-up (now called Senso). Any ideas if they still fit well?

I'm using Durano's on my Pacenti's. You have to use the double toe strap method to get them on, but they're doable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4
  • LegendLust wrote:

I'm using Durano's on my Pacenti's. You have to use the double toe strap method to get them on, but they're doable.

What are you going to do in case of a puncture? :roll:
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust wrote:

I thought was obvious

What are you going to do in case of a puncture? :roll:
  • cycleclinic
    vittoria corsa's are very tight fit and forget trying to fit challange strada bianchi, I don't care how many toe straps you they are not going on.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    Vittorias must have changed then - easiest tyres to get on I ever had were some Open Corsas. Always used to be said Italian tyres with Italian rims because campag wheels were such buggers to get a tyre on and Italian tyres were generally that bit looser.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cycleclinic
    corsa are easy to mount on many other rims (I dont even have to take levers out with me when I am riding my carbon rim as I can pull them of by hand), just not he SL23, although I can do it without levers I do find it difficult so it follows non mechanics might find too hard to bother.
  • petemadoc
    Tyre fit report - no problems at all with Vittoria rubino pro or veloflex corsa. Maybe a tad tight but I wouldn't have noticed without all the talk of it.

Very pleased , thanks superstar components, this offer came at just the right time for me.

I weighed the rear wheel at 890g and the front at 690g on my inaccurate kitchen scales. Bit heavier than expected but these are winter and cyclocross wheels so not overly fussed. My kinlin wheels are around 80g lighter so not much difference.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    I weighed the rear wheel at 890g and the front at 690g on my inaccurate kitchen scales. Bit heavier than expected but these are winter and cyclocross wheels so not overly fussed. My kinlin wheels are around 80g lighter so not much difference.

On the weight, I had a bit of a moan to Superstar as when these were first advertised they were said to be 1,490g. This then got revised to 1,517g and mine came in at 1,576g.

They explained that the 1,490g was a theoretical weight based on parts, the 1,517g was the actual weight after building some up and that this can only be approximate as there are always variations (hence the real weight of 1,576g). A little annoying that's 86g the wrong way and I'd certainly be cheesed off if I'd paid £400 for them.
  • petemadoc
    Yeah they are a bit over the quoted. Pleased with mine though, seem good and solid, I just hope the the hubs are up to some bad weather thrashing.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    So a little bit of extra grams.... Ever seen the advertisements of Shimano, Campa and SRAM about the weight of their products. Strange but through, the moment others putted the products on a scale, they became heavier :roll:

I got my set yesterday. The first thing a noticed was a washer on the free hub. Hmmm, that's Shimano's way of working and I ride Campa. Immediately I took a spare Campa cassette and that wasn't going to fit. I contacted Superstarcomponents: they responded immediately with apologies and a campa free hub is on it's way to Holland. I will swap it and send the shimano version back. Compliments for their swift response.

In the meantime I will make the set tubeless ready and will start mounting some Schwalbe one tubeless tyres.

• They explained that the 1,490g was a theoretical weight based on parts

Ridiculous...
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Ordered a pair this afternoon , and dispatched thirty minutes later...very efficient.
  • £149.99 now with new code Bummer.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    That code was up when I ordered mine, but didn't think it would be applicable. No wonder they moved them out so quickly!

Still a very good deal.
  • At that price, I can't not order them. I don't think there's any cheaper way to get two Pacenti SL23 rims as a retail customer, even if the hubs are cheese.
  • cycleclinic
    quoted weights shoudl be realistic. 90g out is not good. Rim weights do vary but the pacenti SL23 is 445g average +/- 10g. That is 20g over weight at most. Hubs do not vary in weight unless the manufacturing QC is all all over the place. Spokes do not vary in weight period.

So the 1490g weight may have been based on weights of parts that had not been weighed then publisehed to lure buyers in. That does annoy me. When Shimano, Dede e.t.c. do it it annoys me too!

that price is getting silly they must have alot of stock left they want to clear either that or that bolack friday foolishness has reached wherever superstar are based.
  • I doubt the quoted weight includes rim tape, which probably accounts for a fair whack of that discrepancy.
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    What makes the pace ti so much better than an archetype?

Matt