Pacenti SL23 Volta 11s Hubs £169.99 now £149.99 Doh

Comments

• I was planning on latex tubes with 23c tyres. I'm an idiot. Does anyone know of a really really patient club I can ride with when mine throw me out for making them wait an hour and a half every time I get a puncture?

That is my experience with HED plus rims and Velocity A 23, both tubeless... as I understand the SL 23 are even tighter, but I have never owned a pair
    left the forum March 2023
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Not all tubeless ready rims give problems with fitting non tubeless tyres.
    I own 1 set Kinlin XC279 and 1 set Alexrims AT490, no problems whatsoever.
    (no interest in tubeless though)
  • Keezx wrote:
    Not all tubeless ready rims give problems with fitting non tubeless tyres.
    I own 1 set Kinlin XC279 and 1 set Alexrims AT490, no problems whatsoever.
    (no interest in tubeless though)

The Kinlin are not tubeless rims
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    I have Pacenti SL23 rims and used them for a bit with 23mm gp4000s and standard rim tape. That combination combination really didn't work, far far too tight and a real PITA.

With a single wrap of stans yellow 12mm tape and 23mm 4000s they're ok and absolutely fine with 25mm 4000s. Still hoping that schwalbe ones will be available one day...

btw - they're great rims and this seems a really good deal.
  • SRC1 wrote:
    With a single wrap of stans yellow 12mm tape and 23mm 4000s they're ok and absolutely fine with 25mm 4000s. Still hoping that schwalbe ones will be available one day...

Problem is one wrap of Stans tape is OK up to 50-60 PSI... if you are running 25 mm tyres, I would assume you are around 80-90, so you could potentially be living on borrowed time... :wink:
  • I already have a set of Pacenti rims and they are a PITA to get tyres on and off, you must make sure when you deflate the tyre to get it off that the two beads are in the center part of the rim which is smaller making it slightly easier to get off, same when you put on, get some good quality levers as well.
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    Is try them if I could find them in 28s....
    If you know where please key me know
  • These are available in the same deal. They've got 28h with black hubs and spokes also for £169 with the cycling weekly discount code
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    I ordered them as well. I was already looking around for an extra tubeless set, and especially with a wider rim, I couldn't resist this offer. Now I have to decide to use these in my cyclocrosser or my 2 way fit Campa Eurus. Problems, problems, problems ..... :P
  • Ugo, so is 80Kg quite lardy and just about OK or quite lardy and a non starter. I guess the question is is 20/24 safe? I suspect it is but with less life than the 28/28 build? Thanks
  • src1
    src1 Posts: 301
    SRC1 wrote:

Problem is one wrap of Stans tape is OK up to 50-60 PSI... if you are running 25 mm tyres, I would assume you are around 80-90, so you could potentially be living on borrowed time... :wink:

Two or more wraps would not affect tyre fit as the 12mm tape sits between the beads of the tyre. I've been running around 90psi with no problems so far, but i'll remove the tyre to see if the tape has deformed. Is that advice from Stans or personal experience?

Veloplugs were a disaster.
  • SRC1 wrote:
    SRC1 wrote:

Two or more wraps would not affect tyre fit as the 12mm tape sits between the beads of the tyre. I've been running around 90psi with no problems so far, but i'll remove the tyre to see if the tape has deformed. Is that advice from Stans or personal experience?

Veloplugs were a disaster.

It's the general advice about tubeless tape, not my personal experience... I've never exceeded the recommended pressure when I used one layer.
    Veloplugs are indeed a disaster with tubeless rims
  • paulelana wrote:
    Ugo, so is 80Kg quite lardy and just about OK or quite lardy and a non starter. I guess the question is is 20/24 safe? I suspect it is but with less life than the 28/28 build? Thanks

Get the 28 if you have to
  • Ok here's the deal. The hubs are our 11speed version but we have upgraded them again online with out tesla EVO mountain hubs, so these are the clearance 60 engagement ones. The rims are just the old sticker version.

We have sold more than half of the 200 wheels. So don't leave it too long. They are all built inhouse in the UK so spares aren't a problem. Plus the usual free truing and crash rebuild for life on all our wheels.

Any questions let me know, Superstar
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    How much of an issue is the tubeless thing? Thinking of getting these but will be using clinchers only. Seems like a good price for a 1500ish g set of heels. My commuter freehub just packed in and they're not worth fixing.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    How much of an issue is the tubeless thing? Thinking of getting these but will be using clinchers only. Seems like a good price for a 1500ish g set of heels. My commuter freehub just packed in and they're not worth fixing.

The issue is inversely proportional to your ability to fit a tyre on a tight rim... simple as that...
  • Plus the usual free truing and crash rebuild for life on all our wheels.

I find that all those "free truing" policies on wheels sent around the country, or worse abroad, it's just an empty statement, unless in the process you also pay the courier both ways, in which case, fair enough...

If you don't, as it's normally the case, then surely the cost involved in sending a large box (ideally with an insurance to cover the value of the wheels) exceeds the average cost of a truing job in a decent bike shop... of course in the best case scenario the wheels will also be away for say a week, which again exceeds the average time a decent LBS will take to complete the job.
    It is of course the best you can offer, but to the seasoned cyclist that reads through the lines, it sounds like an empty statement, unless there is a total lack of decent bike shops, which might be the case in some areas
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Pretty harsh, the offer is there if you need it and the crash rebuild would cost more than a simple wheel truing.

What would you rather them say, "After you've parted with your cash you're on your own?"
  • Flasher wrote:
    Pretty harsh, the offer is there if you need it and the crash rebuild would cost more than a simple wheel truing.

What would you rather them say, "After you've parted with your cash you're on your own?"

I said that is fair enough and I wasn't harsh AT ALL... I was just commenting that sometimes these statements don't mean much... when I used to send wheels around, well, I can't remember a single one coming back for truing... that might be my ability of course... 8) but more likely the fact that it's not economical to send wheels back for an inexpensive job and virtually nobody does... so in the real world it sounds good, but it's not practical, so all good, but hardly a selling point.
    I bet if you ask Strada or other business that offer "free truing" they will tell you not many, if any, wheel is sent back for truing
  • We have plenty of people send back for a free true. You can ship a pair of wheels for about £5 to us and then we true and return them for free. Would your bike shop do that for free, how about replace a few expensive cx-Ray spokes for free? The shipping probably costs less than driving to a good bike shop twice to drop off and collect

It's all about helping people understand our product isn't cheap and nasty like their preconceptions, but a long term backed up by spares and service, high end part for a great price. That's why we get people back for several wheelsets for all their bikes.

If you gave any questions just let me know, Superstar
  • You can ship a pair of wheels for about £5 to us

You can, but you shouldn't... without an insurance on the content, if the parcel gets lost or damaged, the compensation is in the order of 40-50 quid, which of course doesn't cover the cost of a set of wheels worth half a grand or so... as a private customer, if you send a parcel of that size of about 4 Kg with a decent courier (so not My Hermes for instance) and you insure the value for what it's really worth (or what you would accept for compensation)... you are looking at 15 rather than 5.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    This is why I have paid for the courier service on the odd occassion a wheel needed a true (once or twice I think). If you offer a free service it should be free. Still if the customer is happy to pay the shipping charge it may be better to send them back for the free service as no all LBS know how to true a wheel properly or even doa spoke replacement properly. Some don't even have a CX-ray spoke holding tool. At least superstar build them in house that is something at least in their favour.

Still at that price the parts are worth more so it does not really matter does it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    We have plenty of people send back for a free true. You can ship a pair of wheels for about £5 to us and then we true and return them for free. Would your bike shop do that for free, how about replace a few expensive cx-Ray spokes for free? The shipping probably costs less than driving to a good bike shop twice to drop off and collect

It's all about helping people understand our product isn't cheap and nasty like their preconceptions, but a long term backed up by spares and service, high end part for a great price. That's why we get people back for several wheelsets for all their bikes.

If you gave any questions just let me know, Superstar

Great answer - another set sold to me :)
  • Wheels arrived today superfast delivery. Look very nice gunmetal hubs and black rims I was expecting Gunmetal Hubs and rims as that's the way it was worded, not to worried to be honest. Real world weight F 679 grams R 895 grams both with rim tape. Freehub doesn't sound to bad, not perfect on truing +-1mm, can't test them out yet as off with a bad back. When I fitted Shimano cassette and fitting the supplied spacer there was still slight play on cassette, so fitted extra spacer now all fine.
  • JoostG
    JoostG Posts: 189
    banditvic wrote:
    Wheels arrived today superfast delivery. Look very nice gunmetal hubs and black rims I was expecting Gunmetal Hubs and rims as that's the way it was worded, not to worried to be honest. Real world weight F 679 grams R 895 grams both with rim tape. Freehub doesn't sound to bad, not perfect on truing +-1mm, can't test them out yet as off with a bad back. When I fitted Shimano cassette and fitting the supplied spacer there was still slight play on cassette, so fitted extra spacer now all fine.

That is fast. Could you show us a picture? So I know what I can expect later this week :D
  • banditvic wrote:
    Wheels arrived today superfast delivery. Look very nice gunmetal hubs and black rims I was expecting Gunmetal Hubs and rims as that's the way it was worded, not to worried to be honest. Real world weight F 679 grams R 895 grams both with rim tape. Freehub doesn't sound to bad, not perfect on truing +-1mm, can't test them out yet as off with a bad back. When I fitted Shimano cassette and fitting the supplied spacer there was still slight play on cassette, so fitted extra spacer now all fine.

As Pacenti rims only come in black, it was somewhat to be expected, no? Gunmetal on black should look good...

What you mean not perfect on truing? The best wheel building line in Europe and all those pompous statements... they must be perfect...otherwise it's just hot air (from the back) :shock:
  • Hello I'm concerned about the +-1mm statement, that would be unrideable. The Holland mechanics OT robot will reject a wheel if it is out by +-0.2mm. How are you measuring this?

Any questions let me know. Superstarcomponents
  • Mine arrived today and came in at 679g/897g (with rim tape) against the quoted 653g/864g so pretty close. Now just need some bling gunmetal skewers to go with them.
  • Sorry meant under 1mm will stick a dial Gauge on it tomorrow, just visibly spinning wheel and looking at gap between brake block. Not that concerned as I will true it myself, overall happy with purchase given the price. I paid more than that for 2 Pacenti rims last year.
  • How were the tyres to get on?