Pacenti SL23 Volta 11s Hubs £169.99 now £149.99 Doh

Comments

• adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    I've just had re-trued courtesy of the free truing for life offer, had done about 600-800 miles on them.

Front was out about 4mm, now probably 0.2 or so but with better tension.

Rear wasn't out of true laterally but vertically, much better now and again spoke tension much better (only guaging using squeezing spokes via fingers). Was a fair amount of flex before and un-even but now all seem similiar. (drive side stiffer than non-drive too)

So, overall happy so far for the price and service.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    I've just had re-trued courtesy of the free truing for life offer, had done about 600-800 miles on them.

Front was out about 4mm, now probably 0.2 or so but with better tension.

Rear wasn't out of true laterally but vertically, much better now and again spoke tension much better (only guaging using squeezing spokes via fingers). Was a fair amount of flex before and un-even but now all seem similiar. (drive side stiffer than non-drive too)

So, overall happy so far for the price and service.

How much did it cost you to return them for the free true? Royal Mail or other?
  • It's a pity that Paxington hasn't adopted the Trek approach of using anagrams of his previous name - it would make him easier to spot.

GinPoxTan?
    I didn't guess it was you as there was a lack of pretentious babble, obnoxious comments and personal attacks.
    Pox would be appropriate. He's like a disease.

Toxin is another word which comes to mind.

Anyway, I've wasted enough time talking about such an unpleasant moron.

Anyone else see the irony in Decoy's post ? He(or she) accuses someone of making obnoxious comments and personal attacks , and in the process does exactly that him/herself. How moronic is that ? :lol: Still at least he/she is clearly iabove letting a "moron" get under his/her skin. :roll: Napoleon complex perhaps :shock:
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Seeing as the DS spokes are even, can I just go ahead and tension up the ND side without really touching the DS?
    As the tensions are really low, how far can I go without affecting the dish? Cheers.

Well I went around the ND side and upped the tensions to get them even, then corrected the wobble and dishing. Now very pleased with myself :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Royal Mail or other?

Sadly Royal Mail don't take wheel boxes... I had problems even with Parcelforce if you you go via the post office as they are too big typically for the cheap rate (12 quid or so), as they exceed the 60 (or 70) cm limit.
    Collect plus might be a problem too, if your local corner shop don't want it cluttered with big boxes... I have been abused by the local for bringing in a wheel box once... had to buy extra stuff to get it accepted... they don't get a penny for the service, just traffic.
    That leaves you with My Hermes on the cheap side, hoping all goes well and the zero-hours guy on the white van doesn't dump the parcel in a ditch, or a proper courier which is a bit more expensive... 15 quid or so without an insurance and more like 20-25 if you insure the real value of the content
    left the forum March 2023
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Royal Mail or other?

Sadly Royal Mail don't take wheel boxes... I had problems even with Parcelforce if you you go via the post office as they are too big typically for the cheap rate (12 quid or so), as they exceed the 60 (or 70) cm limit.
    Collect plus might be a problem too, if your local corner shop don't want it cluttered with big boxes... I have been abused by the local for bringing in a wheel box once... had to buy extra stuff to get it accepted... they don't get a penny for the service, just traffic.
    That leaves you with My Hermes on the cheap side, hoping all goes well and the zero-hours guy on the white van doesn't dump the parcel in a ditch, or a proper courier which is a bit more expensive... 15 quid or so without an insurance and more like 20-25 if you insure the real value of the content

Exactly what I was thinking, not exactly a free truing service then is it? I could get it down for a pack of biscuits and a coffee at my LBS (or simple do it myself!)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Exactly what I was thinking, not exactly a free truing service then is it?

In truth, I am not aware of anyone offering "true for life" AND refunding even the delivery cost...
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    It's a pity that Paxington hasn't adopted the Trek approach of using anagrams of his previous name - it would make him easier to spot.

GinPoxTan?
    I didn't guess it was you as there was a lack of pretentious babble, obnoxious comments and personal attacks.

Anyone else see the irony in Decoy's post ? He(or she) accuses someone of making obnoxious comments and personal attacks , and in the process does exactly that him/herself. How moronic is that ? :lol: Still at least he/she is clearly iabove letting a "moron" get under his/her skin. :roll: Napoleon complex perhaps :shock:

Jesus. Whack a mole.
  • adam0bmx0
    adam0bmx0 Posts: 263
    I used collect plus, cost £9.29 with £150 Cover + Tracking + Signature.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
  • Royal Mail or other?

Sound really difficult, that must be why no one sells wheels on Ebay :idea: ..........But they do :roll:
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    That would be because they have accounts with couriers that get them cheaper rates. I can send a wheel sized box for less than £5.00 plus vat but we send 200 parcels a week. Your normal guy on the street doesn't get access to those prices.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Sound really difficult, that must be why no one sells wheels on Ebay :idea: ..........But they do :roll:

It isn't difficult per se, but it involves a few hassles people normally don't consider. Cost aside, you either drive the parcel to some remote warehouse in an industrial estate where the courier have their logistics, or take a day off waiting for a courier to come and pick up the parcel... which can be any time from 8 AM to 8 PM. if you dare head out to but a pint of milk, you can be sure the courier would come at just that time. You can buy a time slot, but that's extra money. You can get an unemployed partner, that's another solution, if she is happy to stay home all day.

You can of course use those cheaper couriers that use the local corner shop network for their pick up, like Collect Plus and My Hermes, but IME even that is far from straightforward. Those shops are typically crammed with stuff and don't get a penny for running this service and as you enter with your 70 x 80 x 30 cm box, they will not be happy. My local in fact basically told me straight that they do not accept boxes of that size... you can of course buy a bottle of wine, fags if you smoke and a copy of the Daily Mail and they might be more condiscendent and if you would anyway, then it won't be extra cost. I normally don't smoke, or read the daily mail and don't shop for wine in the local corner store, so that's extra costs and the wine will be rank.

Moral, is dealing with couriers a hassle? it is a gargantuan hassle, which is the reason I only buy online from shops that use Royal Mail... so that I don't have to chase missed deliveries, take days off to wait for a Godot, as your royal mail depot for collection is pretty much always walking distance if you don't live in rural Scotland and I can go there at please on Saturday morning 7 AM or whenever I want.
    Some might live in front of the DHL depot, I accept that, but it's not normally a desirable location...
  • Makes one wonder if the internet, online shopping thing will ever catch on..... :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Makes one wonder if the internet, online shopping thing will ever catch on..... :wink:

Most online retailers still use royal mail for the very reasons above... including yours... :wink:
  • I used collect plus, cost £9.29 with £150 Cover + Tracking + Signature.

Sounds good.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    It's a pity that Paxington hasn't adopted the Trek approach of using anagrams of his previous name - it would make him easier to spot.

GinPoxTan?

Jesus. Whack a mole.

I think a Hydra is more appropriate than a mole. As I'd imagine paxington has probably registered another account to go with this latest one.
  • tincaman
    The SL25 29er rims on Switch 6 hole hubs are available for £136 on clearance with the code flash20fp.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    That's CL not SL or is it me.
  • tincaman
    You are right and its also spline hubs.
  • banditvic
    Shame was after some sl's looks like JRA have the best deal on these at the moment.
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    The SL25 29er rims on Switch 6 hole hubs are available for £136 on clearance with the code flash20fp.

Thanks for the heads up. Looking at their(Superstar Components) FB page, anything on their site is available with 20% off till 18th Oct with code FLASH20OCT.
  • banditvic
    Looks like the Pacenti SL/23 Icon ultra wheels from Superstars are one of the Gear of year awards 2015.
    After tweaking mine after purchase they have been fine.
  • SLR021
    SLR021 Posts: 79
    12096377_1101886683156875_1898019508127973135_n.jpg?oh=3c52d83c41e9e56f266c025ef043c5dd&oe=56B65A6A

Yep, many thousands of miles of trouble free cycling on my set :D
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Did you rebuild them as soon as you got them?

Sorry if you covered that earlier in what is a pretty long thread.
  • banditvic
    If it was me your asking, just a few tweeks with spoke key.
    Regarding difficult installation of tyres (which they are) just read a post by the designer himself, saying that when fitting the tyres make sure the bead is in the middle part of the rim, but the interesting part was start putting the tyre on the opposite side of the valve and finish at the valve ( I have always done it the other way round ) as he says otherwise it is very difficult to fit.
    Only just read this so can't confirm that, just put on some GP4000's on some SL25's by hand using this method.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If it was me your asking, just a few tweeks with spoke key.
    Regarding difficult installation of tyres (which they are) just read a post by the designer himself, saying that when fitting the tyres make sure the bead is in the middle part of the rim, but the interesting part was start putting the tyre on the opposite side of the valve and finish at the valve ( I have always done it the other way round ) as he says otherwise it is very difficult to fit.
    Only just read this so can't confirm that, just put on some GP4000's on some SL25's by hand using this method.

To put tyres on these rims, just stick the tyres in the airing cupboard (or somewhere equally warm) for an hour or two. They go on fine then.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • banditvic
    The issue is when your out on the road (not at home ) and you puncture, the only time I had to ring the wife up to pick me up with two broken tyre levers.
  • Having got the wheels on discount, and being possessed of a mechanical sensibility, I really can't fault them. I understand why people don't get along with the wheels or the underlying business model, but for me, they've been a top purchase. Compared to the factory options, they're a damned good wheel.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    The issue is when your out on the road (not at home ) and you puncture, the only time I had to ring the wife up to pick me up with two broken tyre levers.

I find, once on and stretched, getting them off and on again hasn't been a big deal. Maybe time for tubeless?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • banditvic
    meanredspider wrote
    I find, once on and stretched, getting them off and on again hasn't been a big deal. Maybe time for tubeless?
    It's winter now so will be on SL25's so will probably give the tubeless ones a go on these first.