Planet X London Road

Comments

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Forgot to mention - I was surprised to find on changing the tyres that the tubes Planet X had used were tiny and marked as 18-23mm. The tyres are 37mm!!!

I wouldn't worry too much about that. They'll just be a bit thinner when stretched out, but shouldn't have too much of an effect on pinch punctures or other punctures.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    edited June 2015
    Looking at the frameset it would only make sense to me financially if I could use my existing spare wheelset, which are rim braked RS10s. Does the frame take cantilever brakes?
  • Looking at the frameset it would only make sense to me if I could use my existing wheelset, which are rim braked RS10s. Does the frame take cantilever brakes?

Nope, disc only
  • markhewitt1978
    Looking at the frameset it would only make sense to me if I could use my existing wheelset, which are rim braked RS10s. Does the frame take cantilever brakes?

Nope, disc only

Are you sure as there looks like a hole for caliper brakes in the middle? Don't know about cantilevers too?
  • staffo
    staffo Posts: 82
    Definitely not cantis and no hole in the rear brake bridge for a rim brake. The hole in the front fork for mudguards is probably too high for a front rim brake too. Sounds like you need something like a Dolan Multi X.
  • markhewitt1978
    Ah cheers for the info. Shame having to get a new wheelset puts it out of range :(
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    This thread is killing me. I ordered my London Road on 1st of June. After much consideration I finally opted for the SRAM 22 with hydro brakes version. Seems the brake callipers are out of stock. They keep giving me a rough idea of my build date, then that date passes without me hearing anything so Friday comes around, I ring them and they say I should have a build date by the end of the following week. Will be calling them again tomorrow.
  • garnett
    garnett Posts: 196
    Planet X have got a couple of things wrong on the build:
    1. They have fitted Avid Cleansweep rotors instead of the correct (and considerably more expensive) Avid Centerlines.
    2. They have not fitted the chain spotter to the front mech.
    Hey there, could you let me have more info about how to spot these build errors? Just taken delivery of my PX-LR and would like to check whether I need to contact them.

Thanks for any help.
  • Planet X have got a couple of things wrong on the build:
    1. They have fitted Avid Cleansweep rotors instead of the correct (and considerably more expensive) Avid Centerlines.
    2. They have not fitted the chain spotter to the front mech.
    Hey there, could you let me have more info about how to spot these build errors? Just taken delivery of my PX-LR and would like to check whether I need to contact them.

Thanks for any help.

Centerline rotor looks like this: image.aspx?product=AV803700ti-140;Warehouse;Warehouse&
    Whereas the Cleansweep looks like this: prod15263_IMGSET?wid=500&hei=505
    Chainspotter is the little arm you see with SRAM written on it in white here: 04_frontDerailleur_SRAM_Rival22_IMG_5191.JPG
  • garnett
    Awesome - many thanks.
  • graeme_s-2
    Still no build date for me. Apparently all parts are in stock now, and it's in the queue waiting for a build date. Hopefully might get it next week!
  • Smiffo100
    Smiffo100 Posts: 5
    I've been interested in this bike for some time now, but debating whether i should go with SRAM or get a 105 build (PX have quoted an additional £100 to swap out all the SRAM bits and retain mechanical discs on a zesty lime frame). Could i get your take on whether you think thats a better bet, such as why/why not.

Also, how have you been getting on with the mechanical discs - are there the adjustment woes everyone mentions with the cables? (I've only ever had hydros on MTBs)

Thanks
  • Adamgt
    Adamgt Posts: 114
    I read somewhere that the chainspotter is now not sold as part of the groupset and is now an aftermarket item. I think it was written int he description of one on the evans cycles website?
    Cannondale Trail SL 1 29er
    Planet X London Road
  • Anyfulekno
    Anyfulekno Posts: 12
    Picking up on something someone raised earlier in this epic thread - the chainstays have quite a flare on them - does that cause problems for anyone with larger feet? I'm considering pulling the trigger but it would have to be untried as I'm way down south, and this would be a really irritating issue to come up against on a first ride. I'm a 45 (10.5-11ish UK) and would be going for the XL frame.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Picking up on something someone raised earlier in this epic thread - the chainstays have quite a flare on them - does that cause problems for anyone with larger feet? I'm considering pulling the trigger but it would have to be untried as I'm way down south, and this would be a really irritating issue to come up against on a first ride. I'm a 45 (10.5-11ish UK) and would be going for the XL frame.
    I ride 44.5 shoes and have an L frame with no clearance issues.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Picking up on something someone raised earlier in this epic thread - the chainstays have quite a flare on them - does that cause problems for anyone with larger feet? I'm considering pulling the trigger but it would have to be untried as I'm way down south, and this would be a really irritating issue to come up against on a first ride. I'm a 45 (10.5-11ish UK) and would be going for the XL frame.
    I ride 44.5 shoes and have an L frame with no clearance issues.

I wear 45s and am also on an L, using shimano SPD pedals - no clearance issues.
    I do, however, have slight toe overlap with my front p45 mudguard while running the stock 37mm tyres (no overlap with the tyre itself, though).

If you look at the geometry, the chainstay length is the same on all the diferent models.
    Also relevant - I have the 172.5mm crank.
  • graeme_s-2
    If I ever get a build date for mine, it'll be interesting to see how I get on with my L frame and size 47 Specialized shoes!
  • I have size 14 feet(49-50), I have absolutely no issues with heel clearance on a large frame.
  • garnett
    Just by way of update on my questions about the rotors and the chainspotter, mine came with Centerlines but not the Chainspotter.

On the basis of what Adamgt said, I decided not to bother Planet X about the chainspotter and ordered one on Amazon - £25 but they get good reviews.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Just by way of update on my questions about the rotors and the chainspotter, mine came with Centerlines but not the Chainspotter.

On the basis of what Adamgt said, I decided not to bother Planet X about the chainspotter and ordered one on Amazon - £25 but they get good reviews.

I've got the K-Edge one which works very well and is a little cheaper. (For anyone else considering a purchase.)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/k-edge-chain-catcher-double/
  • Anyfulekno
    Anyfulekno Posts: 12
    I have size 14 feet(49-50), I have absolutely no issues with heel clearance on a large frame.
    That seems pretty categorical - thanks for that!
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I double checked on my bike, i must be one of the few to have a chain spotter. I wonder if the price drop from £999 to £799 is because they don't include the spotters anymore? Haha!
  • garnett

I've got the K-Edge one which works very well and is a little cheaper. (For anyone else considering a purchase.)

Cheers - the Sram one bizarrely doesn't fit. I'm returning it - and will probably order the K-Edge.
  • Don't get hung-up on a bloody chain catcher! You generally don't need one. I think it's probably said bike shops attempt to get them out of potential poor set up complaints for bikes they may ship with erm...dubious poor set ups...
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    So, I've fell in love with the Zesty Lime Rival 22 Hyd and have decided to order one, probably sometime in July.

Winter bike, training bike, maybe Ulster CX entrant :D
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • graeme_s-2
    My Zesty Lime Rival 22 hydro build is currently out for delivery. Whoop-woop. Commuter, winter trainer, occasional off road rides, maybe a little touring, maybe get a child seat or a trailer on the back sometime.
  • graeme_s-2
    Had my first ride out on my LR this evening. A quiet mooch around some country lanes in the evening sun with a friend including a couple of bridle ways I probably wouldn't have ridden (although realistically could have done) on my road bike. Loving it so far.

19059168919_e8a98d94eb_c.jpg
    I'll probably tilt the bars down a little to make them more horizontal, and the only speed plays I have spare at the moment are blue which is vile, but I have a black pair that are with my mechanic at the mo, and will go on this when I get them back.
  • Just by way of update on my questions about the rotors and the chainspotter, mine came with Centerlines but not the Chainspotter.

Cheers - the Sram one bizarrely doesn't fit. I'm returning it - and will probably order the K-Edge.

The reason the SRAM one doesn't fit is that for some reason Planet X seem to have had a bunch of Rival 22 groupsets without the correct FD mount. The mount itself has the hole for fitting the chainspotter so the non-rival 22 one they've used in its place is not compatible.

The one they sent me out had been taken out of a Force 22 groupset apparently...
  • Had my first ride out on my LR this evening. A quiet mooch around some country lanes in the evening sun with a friend including a couple of bridle ways I probably wouldn't have ridden (although realistically could have done) on my road bike. Loving it so far.

19059168919_e8a98d94eb_c.jpg
    I'll probably tilt the bars down a little to make them more horizontal, and the only speed plays I have spare at the moment are blue which is vile, but I have a black pair that are with my mechanic at the mo, and will go on this when I get them back.

Nice. Glad you're enjoying it. Looks like the saddle could do with levelling too.

I've just adjusted the reach on the levers in a bit on mine which has made braking from the drops more comfortable. It's a nice touch that you can do that so easily with the SRAM levers.