Planet X London Road

Comments

• mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Take it back, forks ordered. If you go onto On Ones website. Which is Planet X's other 'face'. They have all colours in stock for 64 quid. So frameset for 150 all in. Gonna have to resist buying groupsets before Christmas now!
  • mike1-2
    Ha, in my excitement at getting yet another new bike I hadn't realised it was you Chris. It's been a long time. Hope you're keeping well.
    Like the look of those Velocity racks above as well, will they fit over a 35 tyre? The specs state 28 max.
  • pazzar
    pazzar Posts: 25
    Mike wrote:
    Ha, in my excitement at getting yet another new bike I hadn't realised it was you Chris. It's been a long time. Hope you're keeping well.
    Like the look of those Velocity racks above as well, will they fit over a 35 tyre? The specs state 28 max.

Mines the velocity hybrid,im using 35 tyres,the instructions say will work with upto 38
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    whyamihere wrote:
    The frame's on the On-One site at the moment for £93: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLORODP/ ... road-frame

I ordered mine yesterday. Looking forward to the build. :)

Haha, typical Planet X. I ordered a new frame last week for about £50 more.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Mike wrote:
    Haha, good to see you Mike. You know, that London Road would look great with Super Monsters... :D
  • mike1-2
    pazzar wrote:
    Mike wrote:

Mines the velocity hybrid,im using 35 tyres,the instructions say will work with upto 38
    Ah that's good to know, what guards are those the P45?
    whyamihere wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    Haha, good to see you Mike. You know, that London Road would look great with Super Monsters... :D
    If I had some still I'd definitely give it a go :lol:
  • pazzar
    Mike wrote:
    pazzar wrote:
    Mike wrote:

Ah that's good to know, what guards are those the P45?
    whyamihere wrote:
    Mike wrote:
    If I had some still I'd definitely give it a go :lol:

Yes P45
  • mike1-2
    whyamihere wrote:
    The frame's on the On-One site at the moment for £93: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLORODP/ ... road-frame

Have you received yours yet? I got my forks yesterday but I ordered them a few hours after the frame!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Mike wrote:
    whyamihere wrote:

Have you received yours yet? I got my forks yesterday but I ordered them a few hours after the frame!

If you didn't pay extra for delivery then Yodel are the default couriers :shock:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • whyamihere
    Yes, I got mine on Wednesday. Still waiting for the wheels I ordered shortly after the frame though...
  • whyamihere
    7e9AwNo.jpg

It begins...
  • redvee
    Mike wrote:

My Zesty runs on 28c tyres with P45 guards and a Velocity Hybrid rack, the silver one runs on 25c tyres with P35 guards and a normal Velocity rack. The only thing with the Velocity racks is they are too narrow for a racktop bag.
  • mike1-2
    redvee wrote:
    Mike wrote:

My Zesty runs on 28c tyres with P45 guards and a Velocity Hybrid rack, the silver one runs on 25c tyres with P35 guards and a normal Velocity rack. The only thing with the Velocity racks is they are too narrow for a racktop bag.

Thanks for that, not interested in a top bag. Only thing I may possibly use it for in the future is a tent, although I'm sure I could use a couple of bungee cords to make that work.
  • mike1-2
    whyamihere wrote:
    7e9AwNo.jpg

It begins...

Blue fork?! No!
  • whyamihere
    Hell yes, I love the blue fork. :twisted:

Finished the initial build:

HzszmFi.jpg

The bar has been rotated since the photo so that the hoods are flat (couldn't be bothered to retake the photo though...). Shifting gear is 10 speed Campagnolo Centaur other than the crankset, cassette and chain, brakes are TRP Spyres, wheels are Fulcrum Racing Speed. This is the fast build, with no guards or racks, and 23mm tyres (which actually come to about 26mm because of the wide rims). I need to experiment with the stem length - It's a 120mm at the moment, I may reduce it by 10-20mm.
  • pazzar
    redvee wrote:
    Mike wrote:

I bought a Vaude SIlkroad medium rack bag for the top,seems to work ok so far,it does wobble from side to side slightly but its not going to fall off,could allways put a bungee on the middle.

I had to buy some double sided velcro to extend the straps on the bag as they were too short otherwise.

rackbag1.png
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    Happy birthday, "Bob the Beast". :D As far as I can work out I took delivery of the bike a year ago tomorrow. Out of the box I changed the tyres after a couple of rides to Marathon Supreme, it's had a couple of different saddles on it, and I've crafted a couple of DIY mudflaps, but other than that everything is as delivered. (Oh, and the odd US tour souvenir sticker.) 3,480 miles logged so far; I may treat myself to a new chain/cassette at some stage but everything is running perfectly smoothly at the moment. And not a single p******e. Gotta love Marathon Supremes!

31772134955_4763ff50e3_c.jpg

30931005304_4ed7f3478f_c.jpg
  • Hello everybody and thank you to made me discover this bike !

I read all the 36 pages of this topic and I learned a lot of things about this bike but I have a few questions now.

Because there is a christmas offer on PX store you can find the LR for £700 instead of £899 here http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNAPE ... ke-edition

It looks like a really good deal, I will use this bike mostly for commuting but it could be nice if I can go on trip some weekends with it. That is why I wanted to go with the Rival 22 but it is £200 more expensive today...

What do you guys think of this groupset (Apex 1) ?
    I want hydraulic brakes so this is cool but I am not sure that I can deal with a single chainset ? Can you do some long trip with this kind of transmission (42 x 11-42) ?
    What is the difference between Apex 1 and Rival 1 ?

What do you think about this wheelset (gieppeme roccia) ?

Did you consider taking the PX mudguards or you always go with SKS (from wiggle or anywhere else) ?

I am 181cm (~ 5"11) so I am hesitating between M and L size, from what I saw in this discussion some same tall than me guys took M and some others L. I still need to think about it then.

Thanks for your help and enjoy your christmas :)
  • dinyull
    Depends on how you plan to use it. If you are a road biker then I'd say 1x is no good, but would probably enough if using for touring.

I'm one of the ones that had problems with size, I'm 5'11 like you and suffered bad toe overlap on a medium but I'm getting on fine with a large now.
  • Dinyull wrote:
    Depends on how you plan to use it. If you are a road biker then I'd say 1x is no good, but would probably enough if using for touring.

I'm one of the ones that had problems with size, I'm 5'11 like you and suffered bad toe overlap on a medium but I'm getting on fine with a large now.

I will probably use this bike as a little training bike during the winter but I have a proper road bike when the weather will turn more sunny :D

I never had any problem with toe overlap, I am only 43 (I think it's a 9 uk size) but I read that this frame is really compact maybe that is why many of you encount this issue.
    I will try to measure my road bike frame and see which size is closer between M and L.

Do you have any idea about how long this discount will last ?
  • dinyull
    Planet X discounts are up and down at different times of the day - they probably don't know how long it'll last.

On the 1x then, it's down to your personal preference. I use my LR as a commuter and winter bike and wouldn't be interested in 1x.
  • redvee
    My first LR, the commuter, is now 1x10 with 42t on 12-28 cassette. Might seem an odd gear set-up but it works for me.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    My LR is Rival22 which is great for long rides in the hills, but before that my commuter bike was a 1x8 setup - I did over 10000miles on that old bike so commuting on a 1x setup can be fine assuming your commute isn't over mountains.
  • BigMonka wrote:
    My LR is Rival22 which is great for long rides in the hills, but before that my commuter bike was a 1x8 setup - I did over 10000miles on that old bike so commuting on a 1x setup can be fine assuming your commute isn't over mountains.
    It is definitely not !

I finally ordered the bike yesterday, regarding my road bike dimensions I choose a L frame with a 100mm stem for my 5"11. Now I can't wait to receive it !
  • redvee
    damienc wrote:
    Now I can't wait to receive it !

Given Yodel are the default courier, unless you paid extra for DHL, it's going to be a long one. :shock:
  • mike1-2
    Slight update to my build, the frame never arrived! Yodel states that they have delivered and gained a signature. I have no frame. Have emailed PX a few times but no response as of yet. I am well aware of the time of year so not panicking yet, however I am an impatient man and kept on looking for a frame and luckily enough I found one reasonably local over the Christmas period. It means I have a spare pair of forks now, but I'm not overly bothered, lets hope Planet X can get back to me sooner rather than later with what should be a refund now.

Anyway, I'm getting there with the build, waiting for a few bits, namely a bottom bracket and my brake calipers, however I think it looks brill.
    Spec is something along the lines of;

105 Drivetrain
    Vision Metron 40 disc carbon wheels with Conti Speed Cyclocross tyres
    R785 Brakes
    P45 Guards and one of those Velocity racks

IMG_2629.jpg
  • I need a new set of full mudguards for my Tiagra London Road. My tortec reflectors got bent back in an accident. I bent them back into position but they rub the tyre badly. I know i could bodge it but want a new set. What do you use?

BTW I only put the rear one on due to laziness since the front one looks harder to get right.

I need silver and like those with reflective sides even though my marathon pluses have this. Using 700x35c marathon pluses but they only just fitted into the tortec 45 mudguards. I had to take out the bolt where it should be attached to the frame behind the BB. Anyone had an issue with 35mm marathon pluses fitting guards on a LR? Supposed to take 37mm tyres with guards.

So which full mudguards? Tortec reflectors, sks bluemels, sks longboards, sks chromoplastics or some others? Which do you prefer with your London Road bikes?

BTW i fit and leave on all year. Afterall it rains in all seasons in the UK.

Tredz seem to sell guards cheaply right now. Think I'll buy from them unless something better and somewhere else is recommended.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Tortecs for me out of those above.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Anyone buy the PX mudguards for London Road? Any good?

I'm wondering if ease of install worth it. Otherwise I'll buy tortec or sks brand. Similar prices or cheaper.

BTW I've got marathon pluses in 35mm which seem to be right at the 37mm limit for mudguard clearance. IIRC my old guards were 45mm but PX sell 42mm. Would 42 or 45mm guards suit my bulging marathons better? Running on the stock PlanetX rims i got with the bike nearly 2 years ago.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    SKS Chromoplastic 45 on my bike above (20 Dec 2016 22:48), over Marathon Supreme 32c. I'm pretty sure they would work well with 35c.