Planet X London Road

Comments

• I went the other way first half of last week and a couple of weeks before that. Up to 10 minutes longer on a normally 26 to 28 minute commute.

Then one morning I put a bit of wet lube on my chain. Two days later I checked my tyre pressure. I was running at 30psi front and lower at the back. Now I prefer higher pressures, always have for some reason. So I put in 80 front and rear. Now those two things, with a slight recovery from a cold, mean I'm pretty much back to normal.

IMHO the combination of tyre pressure, maintained drivetrain and good or reasonable health can have a big impact on your cycling performance.

BTW marathon plus tyres running on 30psi feel positively bouncy. I wonder what fat bikes feel like if my 700x38 tyres feel like that when running on lower pressures?
  • pazzar
    pazzar Posts: 25
    londonroad.png

Great thread,Just finished building this one:

Sram apex shifters
    Sram rival front mech
    Sram Apex rear mech
    Ambrosio 700c wheels (planetx)
    Shimano Cyclocross crankset 46/36
    Tiagra 32-11 cassette
    Tiagra Hollowtech II BB
    Fsa Seatpost
    Deda stem
    Cycling king carbon handlebars
    Spyr Trp brakes
    Selle Italia gel seat
    Lifeline headset from wiggle (£13)
    35 mm continental cyclocross tyres
    Sks rear mudguard (havent fitted the front one yet)

Will probably get a rack and add the front guard later on.
  • Show us your front guards when you've fitted them. I've had rear sks Chromoplastic on for year and half. Yet to put front one on!!!

Rear one to stop spray and grit hitting child in trailer, front one not as important because it's only me getting wet. It's the hassle of bending and cutting the stays to fit. I bought decent snips to cut them just not sure I'll not ruin the look by bending them or cutting them wrong. Or more critical, the bends don't match each side or look awful!!

Must admit I'm tempted by the new London Road mudguards. They come with it all fitting without any cutting or bending. Only one drill through for bridge bolt, apparently this is different for each size. if the front was available in silver on its own I'd buy it straight away.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    It's the hassle of bending and cutting the stays to fit. I bought decent snips to cut them just not sure I'll not ruin the look by bending them or cutting them wrong. Or more critical, the bends don't match each side or look awful!!

When I cut and bent my stays I used a former and bent them round that. A simple affair of two screws in a piece of wood and the middle of the bends marked on both stays in the same place, might not be perfectly lined up for the guard but close enough and they are both bent in the same place.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    I did mine by hand, marking off bending points with electrical tape, then just holding them up against each other to check. (Ignore the home-made mud flap, I had a second attempt and it's a lot neater!)

23968184069_8c7aa3dee6_c.jpg
  • pazzar
    Front guard went on ok,just a little bending required
    londonroad2.png
  • pazzar
    edited November 2016
  • pazzar
    edited November 2016
    ...delete please
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Did you get the front mud guard on? Did you need to bend it a little? ;)
  • pazzar
    Arrggggg triple post,thought the first two didnt go through,how to delete them?
  • graeme_s-2
    I've got size 47 feet, and have had a bit of toe overlap on most of my bikes. I've never really found it much of a problem and have caught my foot a couple of times on new bikes before I've gotten used to it and then been fine.

My London Road with mud guards gives me a bit of toe overlap, and I'm currently riding in size 47 Specialized Defrosters which are bigger than my normal road shoes. I hadn't appreciated how much worse this made the toe overlap. This morning I was in stop start traffic. The car in front of me started to move forwards, I started to move forwards, the car in front stopped when I hadn't expected it to, I was caught out slightly, and turned the bars to get my balance, caught my right foot on the mudguard and clattered to the ground like a sack of shit!

Then had to suffer the embarrassment of the driver behind me pulling forwards to ask if I was ok while I checked the bike over "I'm fine thanks mate, but I'd have preferred it if we could all just pretend that didn't happen!".

I've grazed my right knee, everything else seems to be fine, so could have been much worse. It was just past a secondary school as well, a few metres earlier and it would have been in front of a large audience of school kids, so that would have been worse too I suppose.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    My LR is stripped down ready to go on ebay because of toe overlap. Was noticeable but not too bad without mudguards, but since mudguards have gone on I've had far too many close calls. To the point I was having to take extra care going round basic corners.
  • My LR is left at work after my rear wheel left the bike, snapping the chain and sending me skidding along the road on the derailleur and chainstay. QR was tight and I'd checked it was secure last week. I really can't see how it happened.

So I need to get it checked over and fixed. Any clues what could have happened?
  • DeEmBe
    DeEmBe Posts: 31
    I've had my LR for a couple of months now and am really enjoying commuting on it and using it as my winter bike. I have to admit to bottling it on the mudguards front though, after reading this thread I have opted for Crud Roadracer Mk3!
  • dinyull
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I've got size 47 feet, and have had a bit of toe overlap on most of my bikes. I've never really found it much of a problem and have caught my foot a couple of times on new bikes before I've gotten used to it and then been fine.

My London Road with mud guards gives me a bit of toe overlap, and I'm currently riding in size 47 Specialized Defrosters which are bigger than my normal road shoes. I hadn't appreciated how much worse this made the toe overlap. This morning I was in stop start traffic. The car in front of me started to move forwards, I started to move forwards, the car in front stopped when I hadn't expected it to, I was caught out slightly, and turned the bars to get my balance, caught my right foot on the mudguard and clattered to the ground like a sack of shoot!

Then had to suffer the embarrassment of the driver behind me pulling forwards to ask if I was ok while I checked the bike over "I'm fine thanks mate, but I'd have preferred it if we could all just pretend that didn't happen!".

I've grazed my right knee, everything else seems to be fine, so could have been much worse. It was just past a secondary school as well, a few metres earlier and it would have been in front of a large audience of school kids, so that would have been worse too I suppose.

Can I ask your height and frame size? I'm 5'11 and the Medium was good fitting apart from toe overlap. I'm only a size 9 though so hopefully a Large would ease that problem.

I had bought a Synapse to replace the LR but have had a few problems with it and it's gone back to the shop. They are being useless though so I'm close to asking for a refund.

My Dad is interested in buying my LR and I've seen them for sale for £530 if your happy to build it yourself. Thinking of buying the next size up for me and passing t'other off to dad.
  • DeEmBe
    DeEmBe Posts: 31
    Dinyull wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

My London Road with mud guards gives me a bit of toe overlap, and I'm currently riding in size 47 Specialized Defrosters which are bigger than my normal road shoes. I hadn't appreciated how much worse this made the toe overlap. This morning I was in stop start traffic. The car in front of me started to move forwards, I started to move forwards, the car in front stopped when I hadn't expected it to, I was caught out slightly, and turned the bars to get my balance, caught my right foot on the mudguard and clattered to the ground like a sack of shoot!

Can I ask your height and frame size? I'm 5'11 and the Medium was good fitting apart from toe overlap. I'm only a size 9 though so hopefully a Large would ease that problem.

I had bought a Synapse to replace the LR but have had a few problems with it and it's gone back to the shop. They are being useless though so I'm close to asking for a refund.

My Dad is interested in buying my LR and I've seen them for sale for £530 if your happy to build it yourself. Thinking of buying the next size up for me and passing t'other off to dad.

I'm 6'0" with size 11 feet and have a size large LR, I don't have any toe overlap at all. It was a problem on my previous commuter bike though, a Ridley X-Bow.
  • dinyull
    Cool, cheers.
  • graeme_s-2
    Just shy of 6' with a Large frame here. The toe overlap isn't huge for me, and I am running 38C tyres with 45mm SKS mudguards. Although there's a slight overlap in my normal road shoes it didn't cause me a problem until I was wearing my winter boots, which are bigger.
  • dinyull
    Sorry, 1 last question. And I know this is personal taste, but what length stem are you using? I'm approx same height with a 110mm stem on M frame.
  • graeme_s-2
    100mm stem (I started typing this with confidence, then doubted myself and had to go back and check my build email from PX).

No need to apologise, I've had loads of great advice and tips from this thread :)
  • dinyull
    Cheers. Now need to have a word with the shop I bought the Synapse from to try and get a refund.
  • Do you need to go back to PX for the derailleur hanger or can you get generic ones from Evans, Halfords, Tredz, wiggle, etc? What description should I need to find a generic one? Dimensions, type, etc.
  • dinyull
    Hanger is Planet X only...I think (having had to order 2 replacements).
  • One bike shop sent me a link to an American company that makes hangers for a very wide range of brands and models. There's a set of drop down boxes to find the right hanger for your bike.

Trouble is it's an American company so whilst PlanetX is one brand option there's no London road. I guessed that American Road was the US name for the UK London Road bike. The hanger looked very close but slightly different. So I ordered the one from PX. Better safe than sorry. Although the US hanger manufacturer allows you to send in a photograph of the hanger, it attached and the dropout without the hanger. This means they can suggest the best hanger to suit or make one that will.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    My medium frame supports my 5' 11" body with a 130mm stem.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Nathb
    Nathb Posts: 36
    My London Road:

CC451718-7958-479B-BF0F-1920CB472F6F.jpg
    (the frame protector is there as it's where my frame makes contact with the place I lock my bike at work)

I bought it as a frame only and built it up, clocking 1,200 miles on it before the seat post creaking got too much. I sent it back to PX under warranty, they refused to admit the seat tube was oversized and tried everything in the book to get out of replacing the frame. It sat in Limbo in their warehouse for a couple of months until I got my bank involved. I suspect the ones they build up for customers are QC'd and the ones that fail are sold off on sale to fools like me. Shame as it was a really nice bike to ride!
  • pazzar
    Nathb wrote:
    My London Road:

CC451718-7958-479B-BF0F-1920CB472F6F.jpg
    (the frame protector is there as it's where my frame makes contact with the place I lock my bike at work)

I bought it as a frame only and built it up, clocking 1,200 miles on it before the seat post creaking got too much. I sent it back to PX under warranty, they refused to admit the seat tube was oversized and tried everything in the book to get out of replacing the frame. It sat in Limbo in their warehouse for a couple of months until I got my bank involved. I suspect the ones they build up for customers are QC'd and the ones that fail are sold off on sale to fools like me. Shame as it was a really nice bike to ride!

Nice looking bike,good idea with the frame protector,going to do something similar to mine as it rests against some steel railings in work.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    The frame's on the On-One site at the moment for £93: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLORODP/ ... road-frame

I ordered mine yesterday. Looking forward to the build. :)
  • pazzar
    Just Added a Tortec Velocity Hybrid Rack

london4.png
    london5.png
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    whyamihere wrote:
    The frame's on the On-One site at the moment for £93: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FRPXLORODP/ ... road-frame

I ordered mine yesterday. Looking forward to the build. :)

I've just ordered one as well. Problem is the forks are out of stock! Was looking for alternatives but I think I'll wait until they come back in.
    Looking forward to getting mine built up, already got some Vision Metron wheels for it which might be a bit overkill but at least they'll get used, because they're not now :D