Planet X London Road

Comments

• graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I own a Pro Carbon with Ultegra 6700 that I paid £1,100 for, but I bought that bike in 2009. £1200 today does seem quite a lot of money for such an old design.

I've been very happy with mine and still enjoy riding it when I do, but there's got to be better deals than that around now, even if you have to drop down to 105 rather than Ultegra.
  • Now with Hunt 4 Season Gravel Disc wheels, 28mm Continental Gatorskins and 35mm SKS Chromoplastics, all up weight now 10.28Kg as in the photo:

IMG_20170519_182031_zpsn44yeftx.jpg

Very pleased with it so far!
  • kenito
    kenito Posts: 13
    Hi, how do you post pics ?

Just bought a London Road
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    kenito wrote:
    Hi, how do you post pics ?

Just bought a London Road
    You need to host it somewhere else, i.e. Flickr, imgur etc and then use the "" tag with the URL of the photo in it. Hope you're enjoying your LR, mine's still my daily commuter.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Mine creaks a bit when it's loaded. I use it once a year for touring. Not sure it's designed for touring. Anyone else tour with a London Road?

Rear panniers, rack top loaded and bar bag. Trailer last year. Perhaps too much for the frame.
  • About time for another picture post- a day trip Mont St Michel a few weeks ago.

Mudguards and road tyres about to fitted again, all too soon.

IMG_0146.jpg
  • MK_Fordy wrote:
    About time for another picture post- a day trip Mont St Michel a few weeks ago.

Mudguards and road tyres about to fitted again, all too soon.

IMG_0146.jpg
    Very cool photo - I love that frame colour, really suits the CX style setup too. Looks like a completely different bike to my black commuter setup!
  • I know this is extremely sacrilegious to use this thread for this question but I think you LR owners may have the insight I need...
    I've put 6400miles on my LR since Feb 2016 and really enjoyed it. But a couple of weeks back I made the mistake of letting my wife ride it rather than her shopper-bike and she loved it! So the LR will now be her bike whilst I get something better. And therein lies the problem, I can't seem to find anything better for a reasonable price! I'd like the new bike to be an upgrade on the LR so I think hydro discs would be good, and I'd like it to be lighter whilst also having mudguard mounts. Budget max ~£1400

Anyone here moved on to something better than their LR? Or do I get a new hydro disc LR and buy a pair of Hunt wheels to drop a bit of weight?
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    @BigMonka A mate of mine has just bought an On-one Bish-Bash-Bosh for winter/gravel/all round duties. Absolutely stunning in green, that said not sure the frame at circa £500 is great value compared to my LR. I do think the LR is one of the best all round deals you can get.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Do you think it's worth the £120 upgrade for the Vision Team 30 wheels?
  • Winter coming what tyres should I use? The choices are...

Vittoria hyper voyager in 32mm
    Or
    Marathon plus 35mm or 38mm

I use sks chromoplastics mudguards on the rear (not bothered with the hassle of putting the front ones on). The trouble is these guards are a replacement to the ones I originally had but they don't fit the marathons under them without rubbing.

If the marathon plus tyres are best should I invest in the London road mudguards from PX? They claim to to fit that size tyre under them.

BTW the marathon pluses hasn't any sign of wear after a year and a half use and the hypersensitive look like they've a lot of life left in them but there is wear.

I don't want to spend more on tyres with these in the shed. I just looking for opinions on what's best for winter commuting.
  • graeme_s-2
    I'd go with the hyper voyagers. I don't like the weight and feel of the marathon pluses.

I have 38C hyper voyagers on mine, under 45mm SKS chromoplastics. Done 2,200 miles on them so far with no unscheduled inner tube changes, and there looks to be plenty of wear left in them.

I've also had problems with 2 marathon pluses recently on a different bike where the wire bead on them has snapped, which has been a right pain.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It depends on what is more important to you - puncture protection or rolling speed.

My experience was the Hyper's although they were comfy and rolled nicely didn't give much protection against punctures - think after the second or third I hung them up in the shed (where they remain...)

Marathons on the other hand are a real workout, but you don't have to fix many/any punctures.

You could always try your luck with they Hyper's and switch if you struggle as I did.
  • What size tyres can you fit with the px London road mudguards? I've switched the marathon plus 700x37 (IIRC) out because they didn't fit the tortec reflective mudguards I got to replace ones I damaged that did fit. Same mudguards but they rub for some reason.

If the px mudguards for this bike are any good I might just make it easy for myself and get them. Provided the marathon plus tyres fit.
  • graeme_s-2
    I have 700x38Cs under SKS 45mm guards. I think I’d struggle to get anything much larger on mine without them rubbing.

A colleague has the PX guards on his I seem to remember he said they were still a fiddle to fit (I reckon guards always are). I’ll have a look on Monday and ask him about his tyres.
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    I need to source a set of replacement forks for my LR... as I've had to 'rip out' the bold thread that's used to fix the mudguard stay ( Long Story... the thread was wearing away and not grasping the bolt.. even tried thread locker to keep the bolt secure and tight.. finally got sick of it rattling itself loose and decided to try a M5 bolt that subsequently got stuck in !!).

The fork now has a 6-7mm hole where I've had to remove the M5 bolt.... two questions:-

1) I'm presuming the fork is unsafe to ride due to the slightly larger hole in the fork compromising the rigidity and integrity of the fork.
    2) Will any disc mount fork fit the LR or do i need to source direct from Planet X..

Thanks in advance.

JP
  • Went for a spin on a couple of mtb trails the past couple of days on my LR. Wax with my child who's young so it was an easy route. It was still interesting because I was riding on 32mm Vittoria hypers. Made it a bit squirrely at the beach back end at times. Also dug in on a couple of very muddy sections. I just kept it spinning and somehow didn't fall off but dug my way out.

My question is, what tyres should I get? I have px areos that came with it. 37s I think with a nobbly tread to the edge. I also have a marathon plus 38s. Ideally I'd want a set of tyres for road that's ok on easy mtb trails. It has to fit under sks chromoplastics. I'm thinking 35mm tyres are best but it will take 37s. My marathon plusses worked under my original chromoplastics but not the current one.

Is there a set of tyres good for road and off road?

Anyone else use their LR on mtb trails? What colour run do you go up to on your LR? Are you new to offroad cycling or come from an mtb background?
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    jp1970 wrote:
    I need to source a set of replacement forks for my LR... as I've had to 'rip out' the bold thread that's used to fix the mudguard stay ( Long Story... the thread was wearing away and not grasping the bolt.. even tried thread locker to keep the bolt secure and tight.. finally got sick of it rattling itself loose and decided to try a M5 bolt that subsequently got stuck in !!).

The fork now has a 6-7mm hole where I've had to remove the M5 bolt.... two questions:-

1) I'm presuming the fork is unsafe to ride due to the slightly larger hole in the fork compromising the rigidity and integrity of the fork.
    2) Will any disc mount fork fit the LR or do i need to source direct from Planet X..

Thanks in advance.

JP

Is it the actual carbon of the fork that is damaged or just the metal, threaded insert? If just the metal then concider gluing a bolt into it with a silicone type adhesive, that wont rattle loose. If you do have to replace then any tapered fork will fit. If i recall correctly its just a 1 1/18 to a 1 1/12 tapered fork.
  • https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOPXLOROD ... -road-fork £55, four left listed in stock, same as when I posted without link in "bargains" thread a few days back.;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FOPXLORODP/planet-x-london-road-fork £55, four left listed in stock, same as when I posted without link in "bargains" thread a few days back.;)

Thanks..

Nearly pushed the button on the Black Forks at £99.... I've ended up buying other stuff with the savings. :oops:
  • graeme_s-2
    The spec says the fork has clearance for 37C tyres. I have 38Cs on mine at the moment, with chromoplastic mudguards :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Graeme_S wrote:
    The spec says the fork has clearance for 37C tyres. I have 38Cs on mine at the moment, with chromoplastic mudguards :D

Do the wheels go round? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Graeme_S wrote:

For part of this year, when configuring a whole LR, you could choose 50mm Schwalbe Century tyres! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • graeme_s-2
    redvee wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

Do the wheels go round? :lol:
    Sometimes ;)
  • graeme_s-2
    You could definitely get 40Cs on without guards, possibly even squeeze them on under guards with some careful fettling.

I'm kind of surprised that 50s would fit, but I guess they must do.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    Anybody fitted the PX London Road mudguards?

My bike turned up with the mudguards, 2 small bags of screws and fittings and 4 metal bracket thingy's. And no instructions.

Now I've sat here for half an hour or so trying to work out what goes where with very little success. Can anyone help?
  • kenito
    kenito Posts: 13
    hopefully this photo link works

https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll/
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    kenito wrote:
    hopefully this photo link works

https://www.flickr.com/cameraroll/

Photo link not working - it takes me to my own Photostream on Flickr
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979