The Champions League (Mainly Barca) thread

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,608
    well done Juve :)

11008580_841305452573018_603840555743539511_n.jpg?oh=43a5a76f04416864b0a28d65285717e1&oe=55C2005A
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    well done Juve :)

11008580_841305452573018_603840555743539511_n.jpg?oh=43a5a76f04416864b0a28d65285717e1&oe=55C2005A

Got as far as Chelski this year I believe , before loosing to an unfashionable French club we should have beat.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    It is a bit of a repeat of last year's final. Super club vs Some other club that won a league.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    It is a bit of a repeat of last year's final. Super club vs Some other club that won a league.

I wouldn't call Juventus "some other club": they won 6 European cups (2 Champions league; 1 cup of the cups and 3 Uefa cups, being one of only 2-3 team to win them all, the other being... Barcelona :shock: )... they've also been in the Champions league final 7 times previously, unfortunately with less than average success!

Italian football can no longer compete with the outrageous Spanish Tax avoidance/evasion and the billionaires of the premier league, but we still seem to put more teams in the CL final than England does... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Italian football can no longer compete with the outrageous Spanish Tax avoidance/evasion and the billionaires of the premier league, but we still seem to put more teams in the CL final than England does... :wink:[/quote]

Well I think we can only put that down to go old fashioned Mafia corruption then Ugo 8)
  • ugo.santalucia

Well I think we can only put that down to go old fashioned Mafia corruption then Ugo 8)

If this wasn't the bottom bracket, I would report you... it is the most ignorant thing to say... generalising a localised phenomenon on a national scale... a bit as I defined English football based on a few hundred hooligans..

really a poor post...
  • pinno

I wouldn't call Juventus "some other club": they won 6 European cups (2 Champions league; 1 cup of the cups and 3 Uefa cups, being one of only 2-3 team to win them all, the other being... Barcelona :shock: )... they've also been in the Champions league final 7 times previously, unfortunately with less than average success!

Italian football can no longer compete with the outrageous Spanish Tax avoidance/evasion and the billionaires of the premier league, but we still seem to put more teams in the CL final than England does... :wink:

animfishman1.gif
  • Stevo_666

If this wasn't the bottom bracket, I would report you... it is the most ignorant thing to say... generalising a localised phenomenon on a national scale... a bit as I defined English football based on a few hundred hooligans..

really a poor post...
    Ugo, this what the BB is all about. Mucking around, taking the mickey and making tongue in cheek comment. I noticed that you've rejoined the ranks of the mere mortals so pull up a chair, chill out and start ripping the wee wee :)

It's fun...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Let's get this right, there's two things you don't joke about. Italian football and wheels! Capisci?
  • Stevo_666
    Let's get this right, there's two things you don't joke about. Italian football and wheels! Capisci?
    I won't be joking about them after I woke up to find a horse's head in my bed this morning :wink:
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I won't be joking about them after I woke up to find a horse's head in my bed this morning :wink:

Boil it up and make soup.
  • Stevo 666 wrote:

You too!!, scary stuff. Hope they don't find out I've been getting my handbuilts from a cartel in Suffolk :shock:
  • pinno
    Stevo 666 wrote:

You too!!, scary stuff. Hope they don't find out I've been getting my handbuilts from a cartel in Suffolk :shock:

If that's the Veronese family, be careful; they will keep upping the payments until you can't afford them and then you'll end up selling your sister or loosing your wotsit.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    30 years ago Juventus won the European Cup and Norwich won a final at Wembley. Could be the same again. Although I admit I find those kind of references in sport rather pointless!
  • 30 years ago Juventus won the European Cup and Norwich won a final at Wembley. Could be the same again. Although I admit I find those kind of references in sport rather pointless!

Got to be worth a double with Betfred now you've mentioned it?
  • Stevo_666
    30 years ago Juventus won the European Cup and Norwich won a final at Wembley. Could be the same again. Although I admit I find those kind of references in sport rather pointless!
    Juve could win the CL but there's no way that that the webbed finger boys will make it to the PL :wink:
  • pinno
    Countdown to kick off... Come on Barca - Do a job on the Italians and send Pirlo and his pals on their way back to Turin. "...it's a long walk and it's that away."
  • ugo.santalucia
    Countdown to kick off... Come on Barca - Do a job on the Italians and send Pirlo and his pals on their way back to Turin. "...it's a long walk and it's that away."

Supporting Barcelona tonight, unless you are Catalan, is a bit like supporting Blatter... it's just immoral and you should be ashamed of yourself. Here we have the underdog having a chance to stick a carrot up the billionaires' arxe, but no, you prefer to stick to the billionaire, just in case some crumbs fall your way...

Disgraceful... :roll:
  • turbotommy
    turbotommy Posts: 493
    Glad juve got to the final, hope the best team wins, assuming that's barca 9 out of 10 times in this fixture?

Painting juve as the minnows is a bit strong considering they're bank rolled by one of Italy's great industrialist families are they not?

Either way really looking forward to the game! Hopefully juves 'big' players really make a game of it rather than finding themselves chasing shadows for 90 minutes!
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • ugo.santalucia
    TurboTommy wrote:

Painting juve as the minnows is a bit strong considering they're bank rolled by one of Italy's great industrialist families are they not?

They are not backed by billionaires, let's put it that way... it's owned by shareholders. The problem with the 2 Spanish teams is they consistently cheat the UEFA fair play rules and they get a pat on the back in return.

It's no different from doping or fixing games
  • turbotommy
    TurboTommy wrote:

They are not backed by billionaires, let's put it that way... it's owned by shareholders. The problem with the 2 Spanish teams is they consistently cheat the UEFA fair play rules and they get a pat on the back in return.

It's no different from doping or fixing games

I'm not sure about that one. Maybe showing my ignorance but how do barca cheat the fair play rules? I know they're serving a transfer ban but I thought that was with regards to youth team transfers? Might be wrong on this.

Match fixing is for total scum...

There's never going to be financial parity in football but I would say juve are in the top 10 /15% with regards wealth? So maybe they are luckier than most.

Either way I remember you saying you're a relative native of Turin ugo so enjoy the game and good luck! :)
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Game over :roll: Back to watching series 2 of Mad Men for me.
  • pinno

Supporting Barcelona tonight, unless you are Catalan, is a bit like supporting Blatter... it's just immoral and you should be ashamed of yourself. Here we have the underdog having a chance to stick a carrot up the billionaires' arxe, but no, you prefer to stick to the billionaire, just in case some crumbs fall your way...

Disgraceful... :roll:

I have seen Barca play more times than I have seen Arsenal play.

Anyway, what a great team. Sort of glad Alves is going. Can't stand his over protestations.
  • Stevo_666
    Not a bad game at all - what I saw of it. The best team won, well done Barca. May do the Nou Camp tour when I'm there next month.

Pinno, did you explain your other reason for liking Barcelona? Although if you'd been knocking off an Italian girl at some time in your younger days that might have made it a trickier choice? :wink:
  • ugo.santalucia
    Best team won.
    Problem is Pirlo, Vidal and Marchisio had a bad night... especially Pirlo... time to go to the Soccer League, I fear
  • turbotommy
    Juve were missing a bit a magic from someone in the end. Not barca's best performance imo, and juve put up a spirited performance to make it a good game.

Pirlo's been a legend for Italy and juve. I'm also a big tevez fan but he just couldn't step up. Also seeing pavel nedved in the background, didn't realise he was still involved with juventus, reminded me why I used to enjoy watching Italian football so much.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • ugo.santalucia
    TurboTommy wrote:
    Juve were missing a bit a magic from someone in the end. Not barca's best performance imo, and juve put up a spirited performance to make it a good game.

Pirlo's been a legend for Italy and juve. I'm also a big tevez fan but he just couldn't step up. Also seeing pavel nedved in the background, didn't realise he was still involved with juventus, reminded me why I used to enjoy watching Italian football so much.

I disagree... Juve's strength is the midfield, but yesterday Pirlo was underwhelming and Vidal was far too nervous and inconclusive. Only Pogba raised to the occasion in midfield and Lichsteiner on the right did a good solid game. Frustrating to see so many uninspired high long balls

To be honest Pirlo's contribution to 2015 successes has been modest... it's time to go for him... he's had it as a player
  • turbotommy
    TurboTommy wrote:

I disagree... Juve's strength is the midfield, but yesterday Pirlo was underwhelming and Vidal was far too nervous and inconclusive. Only Pogba raised to the occasion in midfield and Lichsteiner on the right did a good solid game. Frustrating to see so many uninspired high long balls

To be honest Pirlo's contribution to 2015 successes has been modest... it's time to go for him... he's had it as a player

Yeah I mean I don't think either Pirlo or Vidal had good games. Pirlo was marginalised and Vidal played like he'd snorted a gram of coke pre kick off. The effects slowly wearing off by the second half... I just don't think they were ever going to win the midfield battle, or in general be the 'better' team. I suppose I think if juve were ever going to win the game it was going to take some individual magic, some rock solid defending and a decent amount of good fortune in certain spots.
    Cannondale caad7 ultegra
    S-works Tarmac sl5 etap
    Colnago c64 etap wifli
    Brother Swift
  • pinno
    TurboTommy wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:

Yeah I mean I don't think either Pirlo or Vidal had good games. Pirlo was marginalised and Vidal played like he'd snorted a gram of coke pre kick off. The effects slowly wearing off by the second half... I just don't think they were ever going to win the midfield battle, or in general be the 'better' team. I suppose I think if juve were ever going to win the game it was going to take some individual magic, some rock solid defending and a decent amount of good fortune in certain spots.

Barca were never going to allow Juve to play their style of football. I am sure Enrique deploys a bit more sophistication than simply putting 11 very good players on the pitch. Pirlo was cut off.
    Remember when they played MU in the 2011 final? Barca cut the supply to Ronaldo and Rooney and the result was that MU were toothless.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    TurboTommy wrote:
    TurboTommy wrote:

Barca were never going to allow Juve to play their style of football. I am sure Enrique deploys a bit more sophistication than simply putting 11 very good players on the pitch. Pirlo was cut off.
    Remember when they played MU in the 2011 final? Barca cut the supply to Ronaldo and Rooney and the result was that MU were toothless.

Looks like being toothless has advantages. :lol:

bbcca18a90f8991923923f1b3f00516f.jpg