The Champions League (Mainly Barca) thread

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Feel more sympathy for Arsenal following their performance than I did for Chelski following theirs.

That's nice dear.
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    What sort of a cross was that Sagna Jesus honestly. City don't deserve to go through or get a goal, no one is forward, they are two goals down on aggregate and are passing it back to the goalie, shambolic. No spirit, will, passion or desire.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    At least City lost properly - 1-3 on aggregate rather than getting edged out on away goals :)

Looks like this thread is going to be a bit quiet for a bit as the Premier League and the FA Cup are the only shows in town now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    Manc33 wrote:
    shambolic. No spirit, will, passion or desire.

Alan Hansen in the house
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Manc33 wrote:
    shambolic. No spirit, will, passion or desire.

Alan Hansen in the house

Be fair, he didn't use the word 'diabolical'.

All Barca thread now with no contamination*.

*I had no illusions that Arsenal would win the CL this year or any year for that matter. Unless Pepe decides to take the reigns.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    Breaking news: Aguero signs a 100 year contract with Man City.

11060319_812015422168688_2129171738681902731_n.jpg?oh=b97fcb11a3dd6b151768e3a98c380880&oe=557541E1&__gda__=1433737835_e0ffb2b42b344c8f7cf2fbef6fd1ec91

:lol:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    ^ :D

Except these footballers are pretty fickle.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Is the Prem League in danger of losing the 4th Champ League spot now, after what has been the worst performance by English clubs in quite a few years? There has been mention of it on the news.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Stevo_666
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Is the Prem League in danger of losing the 4th Champ League spot now, after what has been the worst performance by English clubs in quite a few years? There has been mention of it on the news.
    That would just be adding insult to injury for City :wink:
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    It'll make Wenger's job 25% harder as he'll need to work out how to finish 3rd every year rather than 4th.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    It'll make Wenger's job 25% harder as he'll need to work out how to finish 3rd every year rather than 4th.

We'd still Nick it, its our devine right and all we aspire to, as long as we go out in the Group of 16 too, Arsene Knows Best!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Surely it'll make his job 50% harder as Arsenal only ever finish third or fourth, so this will remove half of his chances :)
  • Manc33
    They should scrap the Europa League I know that.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,750
    Manc33 wrote:
    They should scrap the Europa League I know that.
    Not bothered about playing in Europe next year then?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Given the current humiliation we are taking in Kiev I would say Everton won't be!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Mr Goo wrote:

I think from what I remember reading about it is that it's based on a co-efficient calculated over a rolling 5yr period, so if there are a few years of poor performance then yes a CL spot will be lost. It's why Italy only have 3 slots and have had for the last couple of seasons as they had several years of teams exiting the competition rather early.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Was on the BBC Radio 5 sports news this afternoon about the possible loss of 4th spot. Number of Champ League places based on a coefficient of last 5 years. So with no English teams in qtr finals for the 2nd time in 3, the English teams will need to perform next season.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Manc33
    We'll end up 7th on purpose again if we think we're going to end up 5th or 6th.

A conspiracy that cannot be proven. :wink:

Then we can do the FA Cup and League double, then the year after that, get the treble again. I even think LVG can pull it off if he gets them playing like a well oiled machine, we're nowhere near it yet but it can all just come together anytime with this guy and United being United.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I think 7th will get Europa league this year as spurs have already qualified as runners up in the league cup and Chelsea will get champions league and chances are the winner of the FA cup will get champions league (probably arsenal or Liverpool)
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Stevo_666
    Manc33 wrote:
    Then we can do the FA Cup and League double, then the year after that, get the treble again.
    Yeah, right :lol:
  • pinno
    The Europa league is a poisoned chalice.

A club will only attract a certain type/value of player because of qualification and those players would probably not be of CL ability should they get a CL spot.
    Spending big on a big squad just because you get an EL placing so that you can fight for 4 competitions is un-economical and we (in the UK) have a poor record of quality squad rotation anyway.
    Stoke and Everton both proved that the domestic football suffers in the wake of a Thursday fixture in the middle of no where in front of half a dozen away supporters on a ploughed field at 20 degrees below. sucking in exhaust fumes from the local factory processing bauxite or paint products with lax elf n safety in some eastern European spot only known for their cheap working girls and with a name you can't pronounce.
    The outlay for a squad substantial enough to have a realistic chance of progressing to at least the last 8 doesn't match the revenue created by competing in the EL, all the while your EL spot in the PL slips away guaranteeing no EL spot and odds of getting a CL spot almost nil.

Because Manyoo don't tick any of the boxes above, that makes them shyte, really really shyte.
  • Manc33
    What were those games tonight, the first leg?

Must be, one ended up 0-0. The commentators are useless. I watched about 70 minutes of Atletico Vs Real and they didn't once say whether it is a one off game or its over two legs. I thought they were meant to fill you in with stuff like that every now and then. Some radio ones are as bad, you can sit there listening for 15 minutes before they mention the score.
  • pinno
    ^ ?!?! It's the Champions league. Tiddly winks for the short sighted was on more 4.

Fascinating fixture I thought.
  • Manc33
    "Sky Sports Live Scores" doesn't say whether it was over two legs either though.

Just says "UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL" and both of tonight's scores.

If one of the games had not ended 0-0 I still wouldn't know. :oops:
  • pinno
    Adios PSG.
  • Stevo_666
    Adios PSG.
    Auf Wiedersehen Bayern maybe as well?
  • Manc33
    Adios PSG.

Why though, its over 2 legs, or is it? :|

Munich are getting hammered. :mrgreen:
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Adios PSG.
    Auf Wiedersehen Bayern maybe as well?

If it was Porto winning 3-1 away maybe but Bayern are formidable at home and have an away goal. Still think they'll get through.
  • pinno
    That's a surprising scoreline for Porto. I had Barca, RM or BM in the final. Bayern could bounce but PSG haven't a hope. Last nights fixture was good.
    Carvajal is not going to get a retrospective ban, UEFA said. Booo.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Is Manc 33 trying to be Ironic or Moronic, I know Manure fans have had zero interest in the ECL this season but even he cant be ignorant enough to not know these are first leg results in the quarter finals?

The Porto result is a real surprise, I had Bayern and the Mighty PEP down as this years winners. PSG not so much the minute you have to take Thiago Silva off and get side show bob (sorry David Luiz) on to do your defending you are fucked!!!!!!

I hate Chelsea but what a shrewd 50 million that was.

Suarez's second goal was truly world class.